Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, this is neat! I've only played the first two, somehow didn't even know there were sequels. I can only assume they get increasingly terrible?

This game has some absolutely dickish puzzles, though. Kid me was stuck at the goat for weeks.

e: Well, that's not the beginning I remember. Nice to see a Director's Cut version that actually shows some effort for once.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's coming. Oh god, it's coming. Shub-Niggurath.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yup, it's as stupid as I remember.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kangra posted:

Lochmarne is where I really turned on the main character. George is the most self-centered, solipsistic, hypocritical jerk protagonist this side of a Tim Schafer game. I think they were going for 'ugly American' and went too far so he often comes off as racist as well. I could not stand playing him after what happens in Lochmarne. Nico at least seems to know she's a hateful person and revels in it, but that does not really make her likable, either. I played the original with the intention of returning to the Director's Cut after, but I absolutely loathed the characters by the end.
Being a jerk kind of comes with being an adventure game protagonist, though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Classic adventure game protagonists are generally complete assholes and get away with a lot of sneaky bullshit.It probably wasn't considered funny, but it was definitely considered inoffensive back then; maybe they wanted to show George as a man of many talents.

Mind you, between his uncanny talent for spiking drinks and the scene with a tied-up Nico in the previous game, George now comes across as a complete creep.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I get it operates on cartoon logic but the hornets puzzle is just mean. Even for an adventure game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I like that Nico gets to rescue George for a change. I don't think that was too common in the nineties.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Putting the stone in before the others?
Probably the "wiggle" she does if you skip her final puzzle. That's a very nineties easter egg.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

I was being facetious, my friend. It's even more nineties with the way that they seemed to increase the size of her breasts to make it even more obvious.
Yeah, sorry, it's kinda hard to tell just by text. Anyhow, now we're getting to the games I had no idea even existed so this should be fun. Eagerly looking forward to more.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I was kinda wondering about that - whether it's just the voice or if George is meant to sound tired or depressed. Given the circumstances, I'd say it could swing either way.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Ookay, and here I thought the story couldn't get any stupider...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It kind of strikes me that adventure game protagonists, for all the damage they cause, tend to be fairly non-violent. What exactly is George's kill count now?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Gotta say the graphics are really nice for 2003. A lot of care went into animating these models.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Kind of makes me wonder if Glastonbury really has this occult town vibe. I just know about the festival.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Right, Templars and ley lines. Seems like the writers enjoyed Foucault's Pendulum. Then again, it's probably a pretty easy connection to make since your basic occult quackery is just mashing conspiracies together.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 6, 2022

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's a great book, one of my favorites. Anyway, I'd still say that this is a pretty mild milking of the Templar mythology compared to, say, Assassin's Creed.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Of course it's the Voynich manuscript. This is really starting to look like some sort of a conspiracy bingo.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The guard's accent is physically hurting my ears.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I rather suspect they decided to depict Czech by speaking English with a Russian accent. The 'Allo 'Allo translation method, if you will.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There's also the fact the humor took quite a turn to the morbid.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
End of the game? I somehow get the feeling the plot hasn't even got going yet. Lots of weird pacing and seemingly inconsequential setpieces in this one.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Haven't checked the dates but this game's guaranteed to have come out during the Da Vinci Code craze, right? Everyone wanted to get on that Catholic Church intrigue.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You voice comes across fine in the video... Which is more than can be said about the game which goes downright lazy. The Room of Exposition Tablets is particularly lazy, it feels that should have been information you recieve throughout the game more organically, say, instead of dodging gangsters.

All in all, not the best game in the series. What I found especially grating was how Nico kept getting sidelined and kidnapped, especially since she usually turns out the (way) more competent of the two.

There's one more game, right? Is it any better?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I can live without a death reel, and that sounds like a lot of work for a short extra video.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
A lot of it seems like a deliberate homage to the original - starting with George witnessing a crime in Paris, I think we even saw this gallery in the first game?

It's probably a good thing, seems that even the devs recognize that Angel of Death was the low point of the series.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Vladimir Medovsky
Right? Quite the choice for character design. Mind you, he's quite a big bigger...

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 24, 2022

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

First these goats are polite and respectful, next they're eating books you're trying to read. Talk about being capricious!
Nice. I wonder if they were meant to set off PTSD in series' fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, this was one hell of a ride, thanks for the LP.

I'm glad the series ended with George working together with his oldest and most vicious enemy.

e: It's also a nice depiction of history of the adventure game genre, starting on point'n'click, adopting early 3D despite it bringing absolutely no benefits, adding action/platformer game gimmicks, only to end where it started.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Feb 4, 2023