Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

precision posted:

never get involved in a land war in asia!!!

Naval war in Asia severely underrated imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Chinatown posted:

the internet has been starved for GoPro combat footage since america got its poo poo wrecked in afghanistan

its time

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Meme Poker Party posted:

Naval war in Asia severely underrated imo.

Hear that Russia? Naval war in Asia is great. Only an idiot would lose an Asian naval conflict.

Oh. Too soon?

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
EA better be taking notes because this is how you hype up a release

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you cant actually hide the peeps tanks and jets so you obfuscate what time the invasion starts at by doing the crying wolf thing like 12 times

the us did it before the first gulf war, for example

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Good God y'all, what is it good for?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

sweet thursday posted:

Good God y'all, what is it good for?

Cool videos of planes going pew pew

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
most things with respect to securit of any kind run a depressing red queens race

https://acoup.blog/2021/05/07/collections-teaching-paradox-europa-universalis-iv-part-ii-red-queens/

security for a nation state is almost like 99% not being conquered. to do that, you need manpower and resources and territory. but that need for manpower and resources and territory is itself the generating factor for why states have to be afraid of being conquered, so the other ststes around you in turn have to spend more tax dollars on their manpower and gather more resources and try to get more territory. so you can't have a situation where you just get the security and theres a net gain: security is always zero sum for a state

in russia this is borne out because they beat hitler and napoleon by being absolutely gigantic territorially and attriting the armies as winter went on. so there might be another vast conventional war that requires doing that again. therefore they need ukraine to be more territory to do that in. this is the basically depressing mad-rational line of reasoning required

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 19, 2022

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
he's just having a little melty cause his country is imploding i'm sure he'll tucker himself out in a couple weeks

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you can also see this as paranoia about ukraine joining nato. basically 2/3 of central east europe and most of the baltics now have joined nato so thats in turn like entire weeks of invasion buffer in the baltics and central east europe that goes to the us and western europe now instead of being a place for russia to slaughter / be slaughtered and delay the americans

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Gonna ride a bomb wearing cowboy anime v-tuber cosplay

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I want to say nah, but my predictions in the covid thread were absolute poo poo, so I'm not typing anything here that would look embarrassing as I die of radiation burns.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

MaliciousBiz
Mar 28, 2010

I Pay to Poast on Internet
With any luck we'll all be drowned in a sea of nuclear hellfire before the end of next week.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
My bucket list includes seeing an atmospheric nuke test - if that test is on my home city then it still counts !

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Colonel Cancer posted:

Let's avoid a nuclear war and just provide weapons and training to some neonazi militia, that will definitely not backfire 10 years from now

no, don't provide weapons and training to putin's troops

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Philthy posted:

hey lets invade a country in the middle of a pandemic

This may be literally the very last thing on anyone in the entire world's mind possible in relation to these events to such an extent that it's actually stunning to hear said.

Impressively head shaking on some level never even bothered to be considered and I have no idea how you managed this.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Disco Pope posted:

I want to say nah, but my predictions in the covid thread were absolute poo poo, so I'm not typing anything here that would look embarrassing as I die of radiation burns.

Shells are already flying and poo poo is literally exploding as people are fleeing the country.

I'm sure you could hazard a guess ONE way or the other here, champ.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The Russian backed Ukraine separatist faction ordered a generalized mobilization of it's troops/militia this morning and there are reports that they aren't allowing men of military age to leave territory they control.

Good times ahead.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
I like that they call the season where it gets muddy, "the time of no roads"

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Philthy posted:

hey lets invade a country in the middle of a pandemic

Putin is just a history geek. It's still not too late to reenact the great war influenza bonanza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miA54ItQ3qU&t=60s

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

the news is lying all the time, so when my phone says the president of usa definitely says an invasion will happen you just KNOW i can’t be expected to believe this

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

bob dobbs is dead posted:

most things with respect to securit of any kind run a depressing red queens race

https://acoup.blog/2021/05/07/collections-teaching-paradox-europa-universalis-iv-part-ii-red-queens/

security for a nation state is almost like 99% not being conquered. to do that, you need manpower and resources and territory. but that need for manpower and resources and territory is itself the generating factor for why states have to be afraid of being conquered, so the other ststes around you in turn have to spend more tax dollars on their manpower and gather more resources and try to get more territory. so you can't have a situation where you just get the security and theres a net gain: security is always zero sum for a state

in russia this is borne out because they beat hitler and napoleon by being absolutely gigantic territorially and attriting the armies as winter went on. so there might be another vast conventional war that requires doing that again. therefore they need ukraine to be more territory to do that in. this is the basically depressing mad-rational line of reasoning required

Russia needs to understand that nobody wants to loving invade them. The only countries that get invaded anymore are 3rd world shitholes without nukes.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The US is prepared to let every Ukrainian die in defense of their sovereignty. Every man, woman, and child will be nobly sacrificed to defend the idea of NATO as a relevant organization. May thousands of Russian savages die so that America can continue to pretend we're the hegemon for a while longer.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

1stGear posted:

The US is prepared to let every Ukrainian die in defense of their sovereignty. Every man, woman, and child will be nobly sacrificed to defend the idea of NATO as a relevant organization. May thousands of Russian savages die so that America can continue to pretend we're the hegemon for a while longer.

its hegemony or the balance of powers, so if theres no hegemony anymore that makes nato one party to the balance of powers, not the europeans huddling under the american security umbrella. that would seem to make it more relevant

unless you think that the prc, which has not conquered taiwan in 70 years, is the new hegemon

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
This Putin character should go gently caress himself imho

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Icochet posted:

This Putin character should go gently caress himself imho

Putin is the sole reason why the modern world is so lovely, he's trying to win the game of Civilization by going for a genocide victory.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Well he has had some help but yes, he seems to be hellbent on making everyones life worse, very much including his own people. Us mere mortals can't really fathom why he is such a massive loving dick bag poo poo gently caress douche nozzle hole. Greed and megalomania, sure, but i have that too and what i'd do is i'd embezzle some of my country's natural wealth and then live in a diamond palace, not this poo poo

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
notably, navalny, the uncontrolled opposition dude whos rottin in a gulag rn, also said that crimea belongs to russia so this is the basic geopolitical desires of the state, less so the personal whims of the dude. it isnt absolute control, putins not louis 14

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

crimea belongs to the khaganate and i wont hear otherwise

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer

notably, navalny, the uncontrolled opposition dude whos rottin in a gulag rn, also said that crimea belongs to russia so this is the basic geopolitical desires of the state, less so the personal whims of the dude. it isnt absolute control, putins not louis 14

Thank you. I will direct my questions to a map of Russia or maybe a samovar

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

it is continually funny to me that every american liberal thinks navalny is a nice young man who wants democracy and freedom instead of an extremely racist Russian nationalist who has arguably even more evil plans than putin. good pr from the us government goes a long way I guess

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it depends on whether you think racist liberal is better than fascist, to be honest

state dept is basically ok w racist liberal, inasmuch as they sorta assume he would know on which side his bread is buttered

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Icochet posted:

Thank you. I will direct my questions to a map of Russia or maybe a samovar

if the democrats say blah blah blah, the dems say it. if the democrats and the republicans and some unelected peeps together band together and say blah blah blah, the united states says it.

same deal w russia but with disparate and less legible peeps in more informal positions and that one guy yellin in youtube to the other educated liberals

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 19, 2022

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Icochet posted:

Well he has had some help but yes, he seems to be hellbent on making everyones life worse, very much including his own people. Us mere mortals can't really fathom why he is such a massive loving dick bag poo poo gently caress douche nozzle hole. Greed and megalomania, sure, but i have that too and what i'd do is i'd embezzle some of my country's natural wealth and then live in a diamond palace, not this poo poo

It's a long signature to use but I guess if people don't like it they can turn them off or put you on ignore, right?

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer

if the democrats say blah blah blah, the dems say it. if the democrats and the republicans and some unelected peeps together band together and say blah blah blah, the united states says it.

same deal w russia but with disparate and less legible peeps in more informal positions and that one guy yellin in youtube to the other educated liberals

Is Putin not in control of United Russia, the party that is very much in control in the russian federation? Who are the people who might challenge him, or are they unknowable?

As for Navalny, at this point in time he has very few divisions doing jumping jacks at Ukraine's borders so whatever his failings don't really matter

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

i dont believe thinking russia should not invade ukraine while also disliking navalny’s “remove all non-ethnic Russians” policy and opinion that Muslims and romani are “cockroaches” are mutually exclusive, personally. Especially when he also thinks Russia should have ukraine so you don’t even have that going for you

ChunTheUnavoidable fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 19, 2022

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i've been edging and i have to wait for putin to invade to cum. this week has been crazy for me

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
this is on purpose, in order to still have surprise even when everyone can see the hundred thousand dudes on the border

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Ive also been big into “ukraine play” recently and highly recommend it to anyone who has been a bit stagnant in the bedroom of late