Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I think if you're looking for a reason to care about this draft with the top 2 locked down harder than julian assange, it's that there's been so little differentiation in the next 7-10 guys. The one dude who did may get a gun charge! So if you can tease out the good guys before the pro mocks firm up on them you can feel mighty smug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Dejan Bimble posted:

I think if you're looking for a reason to care about this draft with the top 2 locked down harder than julian assange, it's that there's been so little differentiation in the next 7-10 guys.

I hope that this leads to teams obsessing over the relatively small differences so we get some wild late round and 2nd round picks with everyone so focused mid-late lottery. Good and bad. This draft could fit a Jokic and a Ngombo

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Givony called 2024 draft the worst high school class in 20 years

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Givony called 2024 draft the worst high school class in 20 years

Covid during some of the most important dev years for young players is dire.

I bet there are going to be some amazing players in this draft in the second round.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Dexo posted:

Covid during some of the most important dev years for young players is dire.

I bet there are going to be some amazing players in this draft in the second round.

Yup, that lost time is brutal

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/dhookstead/status/1629559959376609280

Hahahahaha wow

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

wow that's messed up. It's like the Arenas finger guns except in this case someone has actually been murdered at the time of the gag

all the replies are saying that's something they've always done and other teams do too? Weird

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
So Brandon Miller over Scoot appears to be KOC’s thing this year

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

morestuff posted:

So Brandon Miller over Scoot appears to be KOC’s thing this year

It’s infected certain pistons fans. Now I have to deal with people saying “actually somebody being a very good mid range jump shooter does not have any correlation with them shooting threes in the future”

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Dejan Bimble posted:

It’s infected certain pistons fans. Now I have to deal with people saying “actually somebody being a very good mid range jump shooter does not have any correlation with them shooting threes in the future”

I mean if Scoot does pan out as a lovely to mediocre outside shooter you're still passing on a freak athlete who gets to the rim at will and still gets about 30-40% of his points of a mid range game.

That's basically Derrick Rose before knee injuries, or John Wall with a jumper. I guess he could be worse than that, but how quickly we forget the Safe High Floor Pick this year is right now shooting <40% (Jabari is in a terrible situation)

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm7NVzSX8J8

Rayan Rupert is my upside pick. Look at this lanky summamabitch

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Is there a draft watcher's tournament guide somewhere? Is such a thing necessary with the Kings making the playoffs this year?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rick posted:

Is there a draft watcher's tournament guide somewhere? Is such a thing necessary with the Kings making the playoffs this year?

Givony did a best players in the tournament thing that for some reason was in the form of a mock draft.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Rick posted:

Honestly draftwatching is more fun outside the lottery.

Personally, eyes on Andre Jackson Jr at UConn as second rounder who is a potential rotation guy on the right roster. Playmaking (ignore the turnovers) wing who is an elite defender, rebounds well, can lead the break and has zero shooting

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Paracaidas posted:

Honestly draftwatching is more fun outside the lottery.

Personally, eyes on Andre Jackson Jr at UConn as second rounder who is a potential rotation guy on the right roster. Playmaking (ignore the turnovers) wing who is an elite defender, rebounds well, can lead the break and has zero shooting

Agreed although I was making a mean joke about the Kings always just drafting the guy who had a big tournament as opposed to other forms of scouting.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Givony did a best players in the tournament thing that for some reason was in the form of a mock draft.

Beavers building dams, and such. Thank you!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That Slawson kid from Furman looks like he has NBA potential

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

Vecenie did a players to watch thing at the athletics

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Does Joey Hauser have a shot at the league? I feel like if Duncan Robinson can get $90 million than any big slow white guy who can stroke it has a chance. Plus his brother is doing well.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1637120729677217792

Lmao

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Henchman of Santa posted:

Does Joey Hauser have a shot at the league? I feel like if Duncan Robinson can get $90 million than any big slow white guy who can stroke it has a chance. Plus his brother is doing well.

duncan robinson should not have gotten 90m

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

“We always knew he could get off his own shot but what this has shown us is that he also has the ability to create shots for others”

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

DC Murderverse posted:

“We always knew he could get off his own shot but what this has shown us is that he also has the ability to create shots for others”

jesus christ

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

loving hell

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

DC Murderverse posted:

hoo boy

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

DC Murderverse posted:

Hmmm, yes yes.

(Also we should probably retitle this thread to just be the generic all-time draft thread.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

DC Murderverse posted:

This beats any quip I could come up with.

But their broke-brained take is apparently "Hey, if he's not actually found guilty, this shows championship-level poise under extreme pressure", which is very nearly as funny.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

The only concern left on the table is shot selection, really.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Forrest on Fire posted:

The only concern left on the table is shot selection, really.

I don't think there was any danger of a comeback.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Random prospect half thoughts collected

Great nametool: Payton Sandfort, Iowa whiteguy

Keyontae Johnson has the strength and length to be a utility defender and he has the shotmaking to make him an nba player

Nick Smith plays like a short Brandon Ingram, shoots like a leader

Jett Howard is a real shooter. Amazing shooter.
His shot comes from a very coiled place, jett knows how to tense his body and stop extraneous motion from messing with it. tho this tension removes some of the sproinginess that can confuse defenders and nba players will take advantage of it to make strong contests. You hope that the fluidity of his release makes this less of a problem. Worry a bit about knee issues because of how toe forward he is.
Amazing pulling up, which is THE nba skeleton key, it makes all offense easier. pretty good off screens, has a running layup, can take his pull up anywhere from close to the basket to downtown.

Here's the deal with Jett. His fluidity makes me think that if things go right for him, he gets stronger and faster with nba conditioning and PEDs, he could have a Middleton esque development curve, where the shooting opens up the whole floor and he becomes 24ppg guy.
Everything is right with him though, make him go left and his poo poo drops drastically. Getting left is going to be an all important development for him.
Uses his scoring to make good passes, although he doesnt have x ray vision or eyes in the back of his head, his good passes all come where he can stare straight at his man. seems like he always passes when forced left, which will get scouted in the nba and was toward the back half of concerence play, and part of what made him look worse.

He is absolutely awful at defense, not quick, not strong.

So he needs that conditioning and mobility. He needs that left hand. Then the world is his oyster. He's probably a late lottery pick now? And he could be a star player if things go well. he could also just be a sweet shooting role player who cant play defense and can't start because of his one sidedness. He's not the athlete khris is by a long stretch, and khris is just average for an sf. So people have compared him to some white guys who've overcome being slow and weak with touch and craft, I think his ceiling is higher than that, but that could be his floor.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 23, 2023

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The last time I looked which was admittedly a long time ago Jett Howard was really popular with draft reddit.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

The last time I looked which was admittedly a long time ago Jett Howard was really popular with draft reddit.

The skill is visible, it's just those two massive red flags flapping, ruining everyone's fun

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Last year‘s overused NBA prospect scouting buzz phrase was shot creator, this years is “but imagine what he’ll look like with NBA spacing“ somebody has to create that spcing

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I know what you mean but I think the nba has better spacing by default kinda. I only watch college ball this month every year but it seems like players clog the lane way more often (idk enough to guess why, and maybe that observation only applies to the tournament)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Dejan Bimble posted:

Last year‘s overused NBA prospect scouting buzz phrase was shot creator, this years is “but imagine what he’ll look like with NBA spacing“ somebody has to create that spcing

I believe I was vindicated by my Ivey take about him just needing NBA spacing.

:colbert:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

indigi posted:

I know what you mean but I think the nba has better spacing by default kinda. I only watch college ball this month every year but it seems like players clog the lane way more often (idk enough to guess why, and maybe that observation only applies to the tournament)

It's definitely true, it's just become a cliche

Dexo posted:

I believe I was vindicated by my Ivey take about him just needing NBA spacing.

:colbert:

Fair , but you were a year early

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Another random thought is that the bottom of the lottery has sort of dropped out this year and really like 10 to 14 could be the 20th pick another year. So many guys look incredibly raw. A ton of projects who may or may not pan out

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Do you like any of these UCon guys? They are all very long at least.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

Do you like any of these UCon guys? They are all very long at least.

I like jackson As an athlete and as one of the few upperclassman who’s at least draftable this year

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

indigi posted:

I watch only slightly more than you, but my impression is that the lane is clogged for much the same reason it was in the NBA 20-30 years ago: average player shooting ability is lower, so defending the paint is relatively more valuable than it is in the current NBA (vs the disadvantage of leaving perimeter players open).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Does ncaa have defensive three seconds rule? I don't remember...