Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I think SLAM covered Durant in HS, but SLAM covered everyone. There was some hype even if it wasn't Oden level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

There was hype and the Kevin Durant Apocalypse mix tape was a real thing. It’s just that Oden had years of hype and largely delivered on it at Ohio.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The first 82 games he played Oden was extremely good. He had the usual young big fouls problems but other than that he was great on both ends of the floor.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I'm 99% sure that healthy Oden would have been a perennial All-NBA level player

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Listened to the draft part of The Lowe Post and had a big lol

"I think Detroit getting Duren increases their chances of getting Ayton because they can sell Ayton on playing the four!!!"

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Imo the Oden over KD pick was wrong at the time. I get why they went that way but woof.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I blame Rick Barnes, honestly.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Probably Magic posted:

I blame Rick Barnes, honestly.

Rick Barnes was unfairly fired at UT and I hate Rick Barnes.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Rick Barnes had too much talent at UT to never do anything with it. He definitely deserved to be fired

See the next few years with Aldridge and Augustin

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I think Dwight Howard is a pretty reasonable comp for a hypothetically healthy Greg Oden. A few dominant seasons, then gradually declining as the wear and tear adds up, but still being a useful player if you adjust your expectations accordingly.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Oden was a lot bigger than Dwight

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Blind Pineapple posted:

I think Dwight Howard is a pretty reasonable comp for a hypothetically healthy Greg Oden. A few dominant seasons, then gradually declining as the wear and tear adds up, but still being a useful player if you adjust your expectations accordingly.

Dwight was too explosive in his play style. Oden would have more like peak Alonzo Mourning

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
and Dwight was dominant for more than a few seasons

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Oden probably wouldn't have dragged a team like Orlando as far as Dwight did, though I think Odens game would generally have aged better. He was actually alright in the post and played a lot out of pick and roll.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

indigi posted:

and Dwight was dominant for more than a few seasons

2006-11? Was he still dominant on the "this is gonna be fun" Lakers and I've misremembered because of their results? I know when he was in Houston he was good, but clearly a second option to Harden and not a game-changer like he was in Orlando.

I guess I should've clarified that the Dwight/Oden comparison was an approximation of production and career arc, not necessarily playing style.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Blind Pineapple posted:

2006-11? Was he still dominant on the "this is gonna be fun" Lakers and I've misremembered because of their results? I know when he was in Houston he was good, but clearly a second option to Harden and not a game-changer like he was in Orlando.

I guess I should've clarified that the Dwight/Oden comparison was an approximation of production and career arc, not necessarily playing style.

Either him being cool with not getting 19 post up attempts a game or Nash and Kobe successfully icing him out (your pick as to what happened) and just playing really high level defense, the Lakers won like 75% of their games to end the season. So you could make the argument.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
e: nvm

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Rick posted:

Either him being cool with not getting 19 post up attempts a game or Nash and Kobe successfully icing him out (your pick as to what happened) and just playing really high level defense, the Lakers won like 75% of their games to end the season. So you could make the argument.

i had totally forgotten about that; they were 17-25 towards the end of january and finished 27-12

if nash hadn’t hosed up his leg that team might have worked out; also shout out to shaq for ruining dwight’s career without even touching him

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The Basketball Tournament is this weekend and overtime elite is going to be in it.
T
hey're going to play a bunch of ex college guys

Could be a nice showcase for the Thompson twins and the other prospect they have

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Throwing some games on the schedule. I don't like November for evaluation purposes players change so much but I wasn't able to keep up trying to start in january like I prefer

Baylor vs UCLA Nov 19 Keyonte George vs Adem Bona
Kentucky vs Conzaga Nov 19 Cason Wallace vs Gonzaga (just a good team to evaluate players against)
Kansas vs NC State Nov 23 Gradey Dick vs Terquavion Smity
Duke vs Ohio State Nov 30th Dariq Whitehead vs Brice Sensibaugh or whatever I'm not going to try and spell this
South Carolina vs Arkansas Feb 4th -- GG Jackson vs Nick Smith, Anthony Black
Alabama vs Gonzaga Dec 17 - Bradon Miller vs Gonzaga
FSU at Duke Dec 31st - Baba Miller v Dariq Whitehead
Alabama vs Arkansas Jan 11 Brandon Miller vs Nick Smith, Anthony Black
Baylor vs Texas Jan 30 Dillon Mitchell vs Keyonte George

Any others are nice to hear about, I just went with the top 15 prospects even though my powers are more useful at the bottom half of the first, I'm gonna wait until January at least for those guys.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

jarace walker from houston and ke'el ware from oregon are gonna be playing tonight if you're in a hurry to do some evaluating

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think I might have recorded that one if I remember right.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Gradey Dick
Terquavion Smity
Brice Sensibaugh

you’re just making these up, I’m onto you

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Red Rox posted:

Gradey Dick
Terquavion Smity
Brice Sensibaugh

About a week ago I learned that the folks behind the Name of the Year tournament sold the rights to some pile of crap website that has no intention of holding new tournaments, nor does it have the archives to the old tournaments.

In other words, there's space for us, Goons, to hold our own Name of the Year event of some sort, so long as we use a different name, which, as near as I can tell, is the only possible part of that concept that could be trademarked or copywritten.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Red Rox posted:

Gradey Dick
Terquavion Smity
Brice Sensibaugh

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The Annual Moniker Deliberation Event

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The God Shammgod Invitational

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

The God Shammgod Invitational

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I'm just going to write this for posterity, Amen Thompson has a better combo of vertical bounce and first step than anyone over 6'6 who's ever been in the NBA

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I hope he comes good. It'd be funny to see :amen: in the gdt

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Vinestalk posted:

I hope he comes good. It'd be funny to see :amen: in the gdt

:amen: lol. never seen that one

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Victor Wembanyama is up from 9 PPG in Ligue 1 in 21/22 to 23 PPG this season through about a dozen games. He's also averaging 10 boards and 3+ blocks per game (rare in Euro ball) while fouling less than he did last season in about 60% more minutes per game.

God he's going to be ridiculous.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Crazy Ted posted:

Victor Wembanyama is up from 9 PPG in Ligue 1 in 21/22 to 23 PPG this season through about a dozen games. He's also averaging 10 boards and 3+ blocks per game (rare in Euro ball) while fouling less than he did last season in about 60% more minutes per game.

God he's going to be ridiculous.

Hornets don’t deserve that kind of luck but I’m already dreaming of a Ball / Wemby pairing

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I started my nba draft amateur scouting, here are some random thoughts collected

Vic- 7'4 sg who uses his arms like a 3 piece chinese staff. Started playing like scarecrow jimmy butler as the season went on. Gets better and better at making his arms deploy and undeploy like a factory precision assembly robot

Scoot- looks like a pro at 19. Great air control. Small but good at everything. The thing about Scooter is that he has a super high floor, if Wemby is out of the league at 26 because of injuries, scoot could be going strong, collecting all star game if not all nba appearances. I know all-stars dont get you champies, but it is what it is

Ausar Thompson- looks like a hyper athlete against guys who'd be playing at random mid major colleges, and 15 year olds. Some of his best competiton this year has been the 15 year old Jayden Quintaince and Cam boozer, who look awesome, like watch 2026 draft because there are some real players in it already, but drat. I beg the thompson twins to come to the combine and play in all the games and do all the tests. That would probably lock them into high spots.
Imho if they don't do that they're going to fall a bit.

They're protected by upside mystery boxnesss and the weakness of this draft class, which is lucky for them.

Trayce Jackson Davis- big body role player automatic

Kinda unimpressed by the 3-17 group so far. Had high hopes coming in

Honestly what's weird is that there are a ton of guys who live in the midrange and cant really shoot threes this year, I get that the midrange became easier but it's still not a useful thing to do in the nba unless you are elite. 3p Shooting is present at high levels in a few guys but in very few of the lotto prospects. I haven't watched much brandon miller yet but I think he'll end up at 3 because of the shooting

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 17, 2023

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I assume Zach Edey looks to be a bust? He's huge but it kinda strikes me as a "knows how to use his size at ncaa level but will be too slow for NBA bigs" type of situation

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 17, 2023

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I assume Zach Edey looks to be a bust? He's huge but it kinda strikes me as a "knows how to use his size at ncaa level but will be too slow for NBA bigs" type of situation

It's funny that you bring him up because he's the last guy i've been watching. Imho he's Boban+ so even if he's doomed to just have really good efficiency numbers on bench units vs other bench units, i think he can play in the NBA. He is so big. He looks like when you make a giant 400 lb create a player, his dimensions just look crazy on tv. He has touch

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Dejan Bimble posted:

It's funny that you bring him up because he's the last guy i've been watching. Imho he's Boban+ so even if he's doomed to just have really good efficiency numbers on bench units vs other bench units, i think he can play in the NBA. He is so big. He looks like when you make a giant 400 lb create a player, his dimensions just look crazy on tv. He has touch

He should go straight to the part where he stars in B-action movies with like, Dolph Lundgren and Scott Eastwood

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

DC Murderverse posted:

He should go straight to the part where he stars in B-action movies with like, Dolph Lundgren and Scott Eastwood

True. If your team drafts him it would be really beneficial to have a kevin love style great inbounder, because he's really good at catching high passes and just dropping them into the net. He's kinda like post injury Jahlil Okafor but bigger with less style, and a much better o rebounder, with all of the defensive problems. He'd fit with the Clippers right now because he only plays half court basketball.

post injury jahlil okafor +good offensive rebounding is not a great endorsement. Zach is obv more athletic than that and is pretty decently athletic for his size. He's also improved on a nice curve. So I'm pretty firm on Boban+

Like he's never going to be in a playoff rotation beyond the first round, unless the nba completely changes. But he's a player

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
The thing with Edey is he's only been playing for 6 years. Every year at Purdue he's improved by leaps and bounds. His first year he was over 6 fouls per 40 minutes and now he's rarely picking up more than 2 while playing 30+ minutes a game. He's added post moves, improved his free throw shooting and passing out of the post. I'm pretty sure he's never shot a jumper in game, but with his free throw stroke I wouldn't be surprised if he developed one. Like was mentioned above he's too slow to get big NBA minutes but I could see him developing into a roll player off the bench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
DECLARING THIS THREAD A NO OWN ZONE
Don't quote posters and make fun of their opinions unless they're being really nasty and annoying.

I usually post my draft musings in the nba n/v discord, to an audience of two people. But I figured I could just post them here, and so can anyone else. If you're watching an NCAA game, or the ignite, or even a highlight comp (highlight scouting isn't that bad! it's a good way to see prospects strengths at least). Just post what you think here.

quote:

Trayce Jackson Davis looks like he could be an automatic role player that youcan draft at like 2h3, he's Big Boy strong like crowder but with more ball skills and finishing chops. the ringer doesnt have him in their top 30 which is a good sign that he's a good prospect, since they don't know the first thing

wow cam boozer looks awesome for a 15 year old! He and

I do like ausar thompson but man hes basically playing like Ja Morant sneaker camp scrimmage level competition, just random mid major player level talent and young guys. Iappreciate ote offering money to teach kids ball but theres nothing to comp here

Our upperclassmen suck this year. there are 3? who are on track to be really good
and a few more who look okay.

jett howard should be a good prospect, BUT, he does not do anything on defense, barely rebounds, he's like j crossover or something if j crossover was 6'8 and a floor spacing wing best used in catch and shoot situations, and was very well coached in terms of the catch and shoot skillset.

Post away
nobody's going to call you a dumbass moron