Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'm amazed his publisher hasn't just forced him to work with ghost writers to finish poo poo off.

eh, that would cost money and I'm betting they've made enough off him and the tv show ending killed people's enthusiasm for the books so they figure they're just gonna sit on the rights, wait til he dies, then hire a writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
LOST isn't real. I've never seen it and obviously even if it were real, nobody alive today would want to see it given the terrible urban legends you hear about it.

LOST lives only through the comments and posts of those haunted by it. Anywhere interesting TV shows are discussed, the spectre of LOST will rise out of the cursed ones, and scare the hell out of them whenever trying to enjoy a good show with two or more mysterious components.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Actually I've seen it. AMA.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I dropped off at the end of the 1st season of Lost. I could see that it was just writers throwing things on a board instead of something that was thoughtfully plotted out. A hatch to a mystery because why not, there'll be more mysteries to throw out later.

Severance on the other hand had a great season finale that built on everything that had happened before. Real suspense and a sense of the show significantly changing. Didn't hurt that it happened at the end of a caper where every member figured in prominently.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Shageletic posted:

I dropped off at the end of the 1st season of Lost. I could see that it was just writers throwing things on a board instead of something that was thoughtfully plotted out. A hatch to a mystery because why not, there'll be more mysteries to throw out later.

I found out recently that the hatch reveal was pushed back for so long because the writers couldn't decide whether it was the opening to an alien spaceship or not.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lmao

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Open Source Idiom posted:

Actually I've seen it. AMA.

Lack of a custom title about LOST makes me doubt you

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I never saw LOST and since the ending of a story is the most vital part to me, I've never had any interest in doing so. But if it's a hilarious circus of carefully-constructed spite like GOT, let me know. I thoroughly enjoyed S8 for that.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I have never seen Lost since it came out while I was in boarding school, but I have heard of it and from what I've gathered over the years that means I've thought about it more than the writers did

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Lost was a good show and perfectly fit into its era of television. I don't think the ending was bad, but I do think a lot of people had an expectation that everything would be explained in the end as opposed to the individual character stories simply coming to a close. The secret powers of the island or whatever ultimately wasn't the point, for better or worse.

Additionally, you can write off anyone who is mad because, "they were dead the whole time!!!"

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Lost is catnip for the sort of person that likes to be smug about not getting snookered into enjoying something popular.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

One thing you have to understand to be a successful writer is that in order to appeal to a broad enough audience to make money you are going to attract people for different reasons. So people who say "it doesn't matter that the mystery wasn't resolved, the characters got their ending" are just amateurs being stupid. Some of the audience was satisfied by the dogshit ending, but anyone who was watching for the mystery or the plot was not. You have to satisfy multiple audience profiles to succeed. And Lost was a huge failure that anyone could see by season three.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Lost season 1 also had a perfect finale, and a perfect start to season 2. I still frequently hum "Make Your Own Kind of Music" despite not having listened to the track in like 20 years.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I was the dope. The dumbass ride or die Lost fan all the way up to the end, convinced the mystery box would be finally opened and it would contain something that wasn't a steaming dog turd.

I'd be willing to chalk it up to a learning experience. Those kinds of mystery box shows weren't very common yet, especially not at the level of popularity Lost was. Maybe showrunners were still figuring it out and Lost could help them learn that you need some kind of framework, some kind of idea of where to take your show and when you end it before you get started. But God Lindelof is so far up his own rear end. I've never seen anyone so smugly proud of their fuckups (except Trump). He really thinks he's god's gift to television, and to this day he deserves to have praised heaped on him for the flawless magnum opus that was Lost.

Freaquency posted:

Lost is catnip for the sort of person that likes to be smug about not getting snookered into enjoying something popular.

I think that's why Lost is such a lightning rod, it's catnip for everyone. The people who love to talk about how they didn't watch the popular thing are going to make sure you know they didn't see Lost. The people who want to tell you that you just don't know how to watch TV properly if you don't like it the way they liked. And the dumbasses like me who can't resist a mystery box no matter how many times we're disappointed.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I thought LOST was fine. It didn’t end great but getting there was a lot of fun.

And yeah, it was of an era where the showrunners of long serial shows did not quite realize that it was a good idea to have a solid ending figured out beforehand.

Another victim to “good show, dumb ending” from the same time was the Battlestar Galactica reboot. Pretty sure I read an interview where Ron Moore said that he had no plan and loved the challenge of writing himself out of corners and cliffhangers. That last season sure suffered for it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

An interesting failure is more interesting to me than something that never takes a chance. Moore went too far in the other direction, but it was a wild ride. You really never knew what would happen next. And all compounded by the fact that Moore was talking about what he was doing in weekly podcasts and on the commentaries with each season, and it was clear he would do anything. He decides to blow up the Pegasus during a dvd commentary—he doesn’t say it by name, but in retrospect it’s clear what he’s talking about with the other person.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

BSG ending kicked rear end sorry

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

and Lindelof redeemed himself with the Leftovers

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Carpet posted:

Lost season 1 also had a perfect finale, and a perfect start to season 2. I still frequently hum "Make Your Own Kind of Music" despite not having listened to the track in like 20 years.

this song and to a lesser extent Downtown always makes me think of noted good show, LOST

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

I AM GRANDO posted:

An interesting failure is more interesting to me than something that never takes a chance. Moore went too far in the other direction, but it was a wild ride. You really never knew what would happen next. And all compounded by the fact that Moore was talking about what he was doing in weekly podcasts and on the commentaries with each season, and it was clear he would do anything. He decides to blow up the Pegasus during a dvd commentary—he doesn’t say it by name, but in retrospect it’s clear what he’s talking about with the other person.

I've heard rumors and stories about the original idea for ending BSG that sounded really badass, but the network turned it down for being too grim. But I heard it on the internet so who knows if there's any truth to any of it.

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

BSG ending kicked rear end sorry

Quick, look over there for a second! *the entire thread just disappears when the camera briefly pans away* GENIUS

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Carpet posted:

https://youtu.be/G5RkjxU2AIQ?si=fXSwb27gpzOsOKlf

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Carpet posted:

That's the start to season three.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

And also the start to many, many episodes as they milk that hatch reveal.

I loved lost the whole way through. They kept adding more ingredients each season to keep it fresh, the late season regulars has some tremendous casting and you never knew who was going to bite the bullet next. The sheer volume of character piece side stories wouldn't have ever be airable in any other framing/format and we got a wonderful collection of 'short stories ' with all the flashbackforwardsideways. It was a conspiracy show, a drama, a survival adventure and a character ensemble genre all at once. Characters would run into a room with weird symbols and say things like "this changes everything!" or be stuck in a monkey cage while they wrestled with a mistake they made ten years ago. Everybody was insane, the plot had so many holes and most of the scenes were them running through a jungle to rescue somebody while shouting dumb quips. Ahhh lost.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

No it wasn't?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joAg7T8E9Tc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7GkdaLSxeQ

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Ohhh, I'm thinking of Downtown from season three.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

counterfeitsaint posted:

I've heard rumors and stories about the original idea for ending BSG that sounded really badass, but the network turned it down for being too grim. But I heard it on the internet so who knows if there's any truth to any of it.

Quick, look over there for a second! *the entire thread just disappears when the camera briefly pans away* GENIUS

I don't think the finale of BSG totally stuck the landing, but I laugh at people who have problems with the broad strokes of it because of too much God/Angel interference when the show was saying right from the start that there were mysterious higher powers interfering in the Cylon and Human affairs.

gently caress this discussion for reminding me of Westworld though. I rode that to the end out of morbid curiosity, but is a show where if I ever rewatch it will just do the first season and pretend that's it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
If the dork rear end writers just hadn't gotten mad that a few online nerds actually used the clues they left to solve the puzzle they were revealing, it likely would've not poo poo the bed as hard as it did.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s good if you have a twist you’re setting up and some people figure it out ahead of time. That means you’re a good writer! You’re supposed to write twists that way!

Also even if you’re a bad writer (Jonathan Nolan), reddit is going to figure out your twists even if you’ve left no clues or bad clues because it’s a hive mind/infinite monkeys at infinite typewriters situation that will brute-force every narrative possibility in the course of weekly discussion.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

That and The Watchman limited series were really good. The early-oughts Lindelof hate really did go too far.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Still feeling burned by 1899, a LOST-like show that started with great potential but truly devolved into a wet fart by the end of the first season before getting canned. Even if we don't make it to season 2 of Severance at least we got a season 1 that was solid gold from start to finish.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

If you haven't watched it already you should check out Dark by the same people as 1899. Three seasons and it mostly stuck the landing imo

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

Party Boat posted:

If you haven't watched it already you should check out Dark by the same people as 1899. Three seasons and it mostly stuck the landing imo

That's exactly why I found 1899 so disappointing :smith:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I didn't not watch LOST for bragging rights, I just don't tend to watch drama series until they're wrapped and I know it was worth 10+ hours of serious engagement. I've been burnt way too many times by a good hook and a bad ending. So much that it makes me hesitant to read new fiction because it's a week-long engagement that possibly ends with a fart. Not like my time is that valuable, I just really could be sleeping more.

I watched Severance on strong recommendation from a friend. If it was one season, I'd be satisfied with it. You don't really need to know what the company does, just that it's a powerful, malignant cult the characters need to escape from. Lots of horror works successfully on that same premise! Now if S2 happens to suck rear end, I'll be disappointed, but I can feel like S1 told a complete enough story that I can enjoy it on its own merits. Like Promised Nederland.:suicide:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Owl at Home posted:

That's exactly why I found 1899 so disappointing :smith:

Same... same

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Das Boo posted:

I didn't not watch LOST for bragging rights, I just don't tend to watch drama series until they're wrapped and I know it was worth 10+ hours of serious engagement. I've been burnt way too many times by a good hook and a bad ending. So much that it makes me hesitant to read new fiction because it's a week-long engagement that possibly ends with a fart. Not like my time is that valuable, I just really could be sleeping more.

I watched Severance on strong recommendation from a friend. If it was one season, I'd be satisfied with it. You don't really need to know what the company does, just that it's a powerful, malignant cult the characters need to escape from. Lots of horror works successfully on that same premise! Now if S2 happens to suck rear end, I'll be disappointed, but I can feel like S1 told a complete enough story that I can enjoy it on its own merits. Like Promised Nederland.:suicide:

Promised neverland never had a second season, just like the matrix never had sequels. :colbert:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Severance: Please try to enjoy Lost

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

This show is so confusing to me. Even more so than lost. Every character is so utterly foreign to me in terms of how they act it makes me think either the fans of this show are P-zombies or I am.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Legit Businessman posted:

Promised neverland never had a second season, just like the matrix never had sequels. :colbert:

This is true. It's so nice these stories went out on top!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Senor Tron posted:

I don't think the finale of BSG totally stuck the landing, but I laugh at people who have problems with the broad strokes of it because of too much God/Angel interference when the show was saying right from the start that there were mysterious higher powers interfering in the Cylon and Human affairs.

This strikes me as the most profoundly lazy writing imaginable, and has taught me to be suspicious of any story that talks about god too much in the early episodes. It's like a get out of writing free card. So long as you mention god early enough in your story, suddenly "Welp, god did it, it was him all along, all the loose ends were god. the end." is a satisfying ending and anyone who is disappointed just wasn't paying attention to that time you mentioned god. Checkmate atheists.