Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

If the dork rear end writers just hadn't gotten mad that a few online nerds actually used the clues they left to solve the puzzle they were revealing, it likely would've not poo poo the bed as hard as it did.

But enough about westworld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'll never forget that small but rabid last sect of GOT fans in denial who proclaimed the ending was totally justified because a character said, "If you think this story has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." Like that was the key to sweeping away all complaints because if you aren't happy with the story, DUH, YOU HAVEN'T BEEN PAYING ATTENTION!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

counterfeitsaint posted:

This strikes me as the most profoundly lazy writing imaginable, and has taught me to be suspicious of any story that talks about god too much in the early episodes. It's like a get out of writing free card. So long as you mention god early enough in your story, suddenly "Welp, god did it, it was him all along, all the loose ends were god. the end." is a satisfying ending and anyone who is disappointed just wasn't paying attention to that time you mentioned god. Checkmate atheists.

Yeah, the writers mentioning "higher powers" in the early episodes in no way makes the ending of Battlestar Galactica less trash.

The entire series could have been everyone talking about god 24/7 and the characters deciding to give up technology and live as cave people would still have been loving stupid.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I hope the lesson writers learn one day is that one, just adding more mystery is the writing equivalent of technical debt, and two, you don't need to change the answer to your mystery if you think it's too obvious. I can enjoy a show even if I've guessed the twist.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'll add that westworld season 1 was thematically strong enough that the puzzle box wasn't really necessary. Robot samsara was compelling by itself.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

BrotherJayne posted:

But enough about westworld

I was talking about westworld

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Did anyone ever figure out what the writers' Cylons' plan was?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Trabant posted:

To look sexy in a red dress.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
When I realised that, not only was there not a plan, but there had never been a plan, I really checked out of the show.

That was also when I first learned to despise 'mystery box' writing. That trend needs to just loving die already.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Writers: Now, you can either have this boring old paint by numbers show where the lovely Sheldon is standing, or you can trade it all in for what's in this box

Everyone waiting for the Fall lineup: The box! The box!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
To be fair, there were numerous mystery box things in Severance.

I'm guessing they probably didn't land on what the number sorting actually means or does when season one completed. Or a few other things, like the goats.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Trabant posted:

I wasn't able to easily find the gif, but just imagine I posted that scene in the last episode where Cavil shoots himself in the head. That's the plan.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I could see number sorting and the goats being meaningless tasks in service of testing the absolute bottom limits of what makes a worker "fulfilled." I mean, knowing that would certainly benefit a cult looking to expand its reach.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I watched the pilot again tonight and it reeeally hits different when you know the whole conceit of the show.

If you woke up on the boardroom table, how do you think you would react?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

timp posted:

I watched the pilot again tonight and it reeeally hits different when you know the whole conceit of the show.

If you woke up on the boardroom table, how do you think you would react?

Without my memories? Terrified, cowed compliance

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

To be fair, there were numerous mystery box things in Severance.

I'm guessing they probably didn't land on what the number sorting actually means or does when season one completed. Or a few other things, like the goats.

That's why Mystery Boxes are so insidious. We're all still watching and hoping that the writers have finally learned from the mistakes of the past and have some idea what those things mean and a plan to reveal them in later seasons in a narratively satisfying way. Despite having no reason to believe it will be different this time. But maybe...

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

That's why Mystery Boxes are so insidious. We're all still watching and hoping that the writers have finally learned from the mistakes of the past and have some idea what those things mean and a plan to reveal them in later seasons in a narratively satisfying way. Despite having no reason to believe it will be different this time. But maybe...
Yeah you hit the nail on the head. The nature of the trope directly exacerbates our tolerance of it. Because, like cracking open a fresh booster pack, it gives us that operant conditioning. It makes media unsatisfying and addictive like chips.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lampsacus posted:

Yeah you hit the nail on the head. The nature of the trope directly exacerbates our tolerance of it. Because, like cracking open a fresh booster pack, it gives us that operant conditioning. It makes media unsatisfying and addictive like chips.

I’m encouraged by the fact that the show is self-aware about it by having the characters speculate about it in the exact way a viewer would. I don’t know if it would have been better if they had been standing by a water cooler for that or not.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

I’m encouraged by the fact that the show is self-aware about it by having the characters speculate about it in the exact way a viewer would. I don’t know if it would have been better if they had been standing by a water cooler for that or not.

The characters on LOST did this too, usually when the writers wanted use Hurley to dismiss / mock a specific theory.

I think Severance isn't LOST though, I think it's a bit more solid.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
remember when the bird said hurleys name and it had absolutely nothing to do with anything

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Riptor posted:

remember when the bird said hurleys name and it had absolutely nothing to do with anything

Yep! It happened twice.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Trabant posted:

They made a tv movie "The Plan." If I remember right, the plan basically amounted to "Let's nuke their colonies. Oh no some of them got away, I guess we go after them."

If there was any more to it than that, I've forgotten it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

Without my memories? Terrified, cowed compliance

Even without my memories an office building is clearly not my environment. I think I would be preoccupied with escaping or being a hassle while I'm uncomfortable and confused. I guess that means I'd be sent to the punishment room but I react poorly to that sort of thing too. I think I'd just be fired, however that works for Lumon. Have to tell my outie "he was like a psycho cat, wouldnt stop trying to run up the walls and claw at the managers." "Yeah kinda figured that would happen "

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Khanstant posted:

Even without my memories an office building is clearly not my environment. I think I would be preoccupied with escaping or being a hassle while I'm uncomfortable and confused. I guess that means I'd be sent to the punishment room but I react poorly to that sort of thing too. I think I'd just be fired, however that works for Lumon. Have to tell my outie "he was like a psycho cat, wouldnt stop trying to run up the walls and claw at the managers." "Yeah kinda figured that would happen "

I suspect that I would be extremely docile and compliant

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
To be fair I probably would be too after they tortured me a little

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Khanstant posted:

nah at worst you'd be like Helly.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

nah at worst you'd be like Helly.

I think there are innie/outie cases where the outie is so opposed to the result that the person is let go on the grounds that they're not a good fit and that ordinarily Helly would be one of those people... But since she's part of a PR campaign, that usual method doesn't really work. They probably also do a lot of psychological testing on prospective employees to start out with to make sure that these people will be relatively pliable as employees; a bit of manipulation is one thing but sooner or later it's just not worth hiring a person in the first place. After all, I'd say there's compelling backstory reasons why Helly would be a uniquely bad employee in the first place - they take away your memories but not your instinctive behaviors.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Sure, just it's pretty unlikely that some random internet poster would go full Taken mode divorced from context, memories, and self.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I will have spent months training my subconscious for that moment. When my innie wakes up on the table, he will start jackin and/or shittin.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Taken mode is very different from throwing a big fit because you're uncomfortable and confused and don't like or know what is going on and reverting impudence and obstinance seems like a childish reversion that would be natural instinctive reaction to plenty of folks.

I bet the first thing they find out about innies is a weird reflection of what their outties were like as kids and probably soon after how they react to punishment.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

I will have spent months training my subconscious for that moment. When my innie wakes up on the table, he will start jackin and/or shittin.

yeah I know my autistic rear end would be right there with you

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i like to think i'd take a big poo poo on the desk and flip the camera off but in all likelihood i would just cry

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

Ravenson posted:

I think there are innie/outie cases where the outie is so opposed to the result that the person is let go on the grounds that they're not a good fit and that ordinarily Helly would be one of those people... But since she's part of a PR campaign, that usual method doesn't really work. They probably also do a lot of psychological testing on prospective employees to start out with to make sure that these people will be relatively pliable as employees; a bit of manipulation is one thing but sooner or later it's just not worth hiring a person in the first place. After all, I'd say there's compelling backstory reasons why Helly would be a uniquely bad employee in the first place - they take away your memories but not your instinctive behaviors.

Yeah the personality that made her outie crazy enough to keep doing this even knowing she was being tortured, is also the personality that literally is going to do her innie best to gently caress it all up.

Terrifying potential

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I saw all the posts in this thread and thought season 2 release date dropped, but it was just lost chat :(

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Tosk posted:

I saw all the posts in this thread and thought season 2 release date dropped, but it was just lost chat :(

Once again, Lost sets up an expectation and just ends up disappointing.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
With all the mystery box chat, I'm surprised that the ongoing "From" on Epix didn't get a mention. It's so fantastical that it makes Lost look grounded and it's absolutely clear that the writers have no clue or plan beyond "keep this poo poo going until they stop paying us." The season premieres and finales are absolutely batshit interspersed with long droughts of people almost talking about things only to "gotta go" over and over again.

It's very much my favorite love/hate watch at the moment.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
From infuriates me because you have a whole town of people and not 'a one of them does anything that makes sense. Oh, monsters hypnotize you through the windows? Oh, well, too bad we can't board them up for... reasons. Also you gotta pick which group of strangers you live with right now and your decision's permanent for... reasons. Also I leave my daughter alone with an unsecured window that only my absent husband can hammer shut for... reasons. Nobody test the bounds that could help us get out of here for... reasons! YOU ARE MAKING UP YOUR OWN RULES, loving WORK WITH THEM.

When spooky ballerina danced in, I went into a full hate watch.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
One of the funniest things about Lost is that one of the biggest "we don't actually know what this will be or mean yet" things is in the very first episode. What is eventually decided on being the "smoke monster" makes a ton of different sounds so it could be a dinosaur, a giant monster, some sort of machine, aliens, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjKoS7-5Z0k

though I still think the siren noise is effectively creepy.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

One of the funniest things about Lost is that one of the biggest "we don't actually know what this will be or mean yet" things is in the very first episode. What is eventually decided on being the "smoke monster" makes a ton of different sounds so it could be a dinosaur, a giant monster, some sort of machine, aliens, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjKoS7-5Z0k

though I still think the siren noise is effectively creepy.
Incredible. And easily one of my favourite pilots of all time. Pity he died :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
In real life I don't see how you could separate your personality from your gathered life experiences and memories. It seems like people would be a lot more of a blank slate and just develop a new personality to go with their new set of memories. I'd imagine that I'd end up confused and cowed into compliance too, as would most people. It's really hard to say you'd do otherwise without coming off as an internet toughguy.