Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
A

Also, I feel that this line deserves more attention:

quote:

The creature's voice is somehow simultaneously basso and squeaky, as if it has swallowed a helium balloon and is now talking around it.
:allears:

(update on previous page!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
C - Nalaal's Wild Ride

FF6 was always suffocated by its limited script, so I love reading reinterpretations of it. I've also been having a lot of fun with the randomizer myself. Thanks a bunch for all the good info on it ITT everyone (especially Android Blues)!

Haar_Dragon
Aug 21, 2015

PizzaProwler posted:

FF6 was always suffocated by its limited script, so I love reading reinterpretations of it.

Yeah, same! FF6 is super ambitions for a SNES title, but the fact that most of the dialogue is genericized means the characters don't get nearly as much chance to really shine through as some of the other games in the series, and imo the other two SNES FFs in particular.

No strong preference on which route to take, since we need to go through all of them anyway, so LPer's choice, if that's an option.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
C, let's give Nalaal some time in the spotlight

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Leraika posted:

Let's see what Jadate's up to.

A

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
I remember mechanically C was the optimal choice in vanilla, since you could stock gear for the others, but the randomizer might throw that in the trash, and story-wise I always preferred leaving it for last anyway. The flow and suspense always felt best to me going BAC, to continue the current scene to a quick-ish conclusion, shift over to Locke to see what he was getting up to, and then finally to find out what happened to the lost lamb, with the reunion scene being summary enough to remind you of what you'd been through with the other two in the event you'd forgotten over the length of Sabin's odyssey.

But even with that in mind, I think I'm going to vote A. I am itching to see how Jadate's skillset will work in South Figaro, and what allowances the randomizer makes to ensure you can progress no matter what it rolls.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

the best acronym you can make with the three letters is BAC so i vote b

i don't even remember what b is at this point :v:

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
I choose option C

Just so we can get the longest part of the WoB out of the way, introduce two new characters and see how you'll contextualize Doma and the events there.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

7. The Chained Artillery

A) Be Jadate Jhaum. [5]
B) Be Chayma Ludos. [1]
C) Be Nalaal Xandros Figaro. [4]

You are now Jadate Jhaum.

A brief itinerary of days ruined so far:

- The fellow in the magitek walker who was not prepared to spend three minutes convinced he was underwater.
- The gaggle of soldiers who had an adverse reaction to hearing the Ballad of the Hungry Hangman.
- The munitions officer who was dismayed to discover that all his artillery shells had been unscrewed, emptied, and meticulously refilled with hay, as if by a particularly dashing and inventive invisible person.

The Empire's forward supply post is in shambles. One of your most productive days this week.

It'd be awfully convenient if the soldier in the magitek walker could be made to disappear. Fortunately, you know how to do just that.

You play the vanishing flute frenetically. Its magic affects you more than once; you fade in and out of existence as the soldier trains her walker's guns on you, but as you build through a mad arpeggio, it works. She vanishes.

You hear the faint crackle of electricity, and smell ozone. The soldier and her walker do not reappear.

In your repertoire there are magical songs, and enchanted items, and even sharp knives when those fail - but, if pressed, you'd recommend any of those only with caveats as compared to the humble blackjack to the back of the noggin.

You leave the Imperial inside a nice, comfy barrel, and survey the town from above. There are checkpoints set up in and out of town - you could amble near them in your disguise without drawing much attention, but infantry won't be cleared to wander off the occupation without an officer's consent. That approach seems like a dead end.

If the rumours you've heard are right, though, there's a hidden trade entrance that leads out along the river in the house the Empire is using as a command post.

Jadate remembers her friendship with Chayma...

Kefka's name rings alarm bells. It must be the same woman who raised Chayma from a kid...the same woman you saw at Figaro, turning the sand to glass. If she's going to be leading the assault on Narshe, you need to warn Chimes. Things could get real overwhelming for her, really fast. You saw how she sagged and retreated into herself when she spoke that woman's name.

You need to know how who's stationed where, what their schedules are, and (ideally) where you could get a couple of free drinks. Fortunately, infantry loves to grouse and gossip.

The two soldiers share a laugh. There's something nasty in it that you don't like. Pretending to be pals with these jackboot creeps turns your stomach.

There's also a smuggler's path that converges right onto that trade entrance. A few monarchs ago, Figaro had a list of contraband as long as your arm: a black market naturally sprung up, and is ticking along to this day. You haven't had much occasion to deal there, but fortunately, you think you remember the password.

This is a fun thing Beyond Chaos does. In the base game, there are three preset passwords: one is right, the others wrong, and if you get the wrong one you'll have to backtrack a bit. Here, we see new passwords randomly chosen from a list, and there's no foreknowledge of which one is right. "0451" is particularly funny given recent discourse on its use in games, I think. Is GIRL FANTASY VI the world's premiere immersive sim? Perhaps.

Skirting through the smuggler's tunnels, you converge quickly onto the Imperial command post: clearly someone conversant in South Figaro's secrets has squeaked. Sounds like they're using the parts they know about as an ad hoc jail.

If that's an artillery piece, you're a tax accountant. Something real skewy is going on here.

She spits at the soldier, who swears in disgust.

The other soldier pipes up. She sounds more moderate - and amused.

The girl goes silent, a sullen fury radiating across her tawny face.

]

Once you've marched a safe distance down the corridor, you uncuff the girl - and take off your wig.

She squints up at you suspiciously. Her fingers flex, and you do, indeed, spot little sparks of magic dancing between their tips.

She's short, even for a fourteen year old kid. You know how it goes for street kids in the big cities: even odds she's never had a square meal in her life.

You skirt out through the smuggler's tunnels. As you get closer to the river, the walls are wet where the groundwater has split through the stone: a nest of primordite stinging crabs.

You're reaching for your knife when Rekha's forearm judders, and something ludicrous happens. You shield your eyes from the rippling, maddening hole in space the girl (cheeks sucked in with effort, her body tensed as if she's fitting) has opened up in front of you.

You take a breather on the outskirts of town, giving Rekha a drink from your canteen. You look back at South Figaro wistfully: it wasn't the greatest town in the world, but it was a free enough place. You know from experience that Imperial rule means military police and mandatory conscription.

You navigate through the South Figaro cave, as broad and easy a trot as before. A low rumble seems to move behind the fusty rock, and you put an extra giddy in your step.

QuasMud is a procedurally generated hybrid command. Beyond Chaos can pull and combine these from every ability list in the game. This one's devastatingly simple: it casts Quasar, dealing massive non-elemental damage to all enemies, then casts Muddle, confusing all enemies. Rekha rips open a hole in space and sends everyone in the vicinity on a mind-bending tour of the dizzying, airless cosmos. She doesn't know how she's able to do this: she just sort of flexes her fingers and wrinkles her brain, and it happens.

The Tunnel Armour cracks through the cavern wall, its drillbit humming ominously. Funnels unfold from its undercarriage, and with the rote efficiency of machinery, start spewing liquid poison.

This is another boss that would normally be a tutorial - in this case, to teach you how to use the counter-magic ability Runic. There's no Runic here, and so none of the Tunnel Armour's powerful magitek is going to be absorbed. Instead it's a seriously dangerous opponent.

Rekha splays her fingers, and dancing flames shoot from their tips. They circle the machine's metal plating, sealing its rivets - and then billow and expand, filling the cave with the glow of superheated plasma!

FirePla is Rekha's next command. It casts Fire Wall, then casts Plasma on the same target. This is the heaviest single target damage we've had access to in our adventure, hitting for ~900 altogether, and like all of Rekha's kit, it has no nuance at all. Several of the machine's concatenated armour plates are melting off their skeletal underwork.

Rekha's abilities are powerful, but she's definitely our least versatile party member so far. Injected with liquid magicite from a cocktail of harvested Espers, she was intended to unleash enough raw magic to blow up serried ranks of enemy soldiers, melt the stone of their fortifications, and then burn out.

In the next instant, it douses her in a spray of clinging poison, and the fumes alone are enough to send her reeling to the ground. Little sparks of blue plasma still streak between her fingertips as she passes out.

One cast of Poison does 276 damage to Jadate, or 254 damage to Rekha, who has slightly better Magic Defense. Either number is greater than their max HP. We're fortunate, though, in that the Tunnel Armour has rerolled some of its normal complement of damaging spells into other abilities: instead of electrocuting Jadate, it casts Mute on her, something which is discomfiting for a garrulous bard, but not deadly.

Your throat is pinched shut by the Mute spell. You can't sing - you can't even summon enough air to play the vanishing flute. You unhitch the knife from your belt loop, and sashay-dance to the side of the burrowing machine.

Ducking into the blind spot of its poison sprayers, you slice at its exposed inner workings, snapping the rubber tread around an actuating gear. It wheels to try to track you, but misses; plumes of toxic gel paint the cave wall.

Another strike; another. Your knife punctures the bellows and cuts the fuel lines. The Mute spell wears off just as the Tunnel Armour begins to heave, wheeze, and grinds to a shambolic halt.

Gathering Rekha up on your shoulders, you let her half-conscious body slump against your head, and carry her to Narshe.

You are now Rekha Halfpenny.

Half-conscious, eyes fluttering, you sink into a daydream. What are you dreaming of?

A) "Grateful" is a word that feels jagged and unsafe - but screw it. You want to believe Jadate is kind. People who can take care of you sounds nice. You'd really like a chance to be something approaching a normal kid, even if it's just for a little bit, before they kick you to the curb.
B) This is perfect. The Returner saboteur sneaking around South Figaro swallowed the bait: now you're going to be popped down right behind the enemy line, exactly where you can do the most damage. When the battle's hot and the Imperial forces can pick you up, you'll howitzer these saps and win the day for Vector.
C) So she rescued you. So what? Big deal. Magitek Research "rescued" you from the street, and look how that wound up. You'll grift this lady for everything you can get, then get out as soon as you run out of rope.

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 10, 2022

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
B for sure. The character arc of the street rat has to include trying to turn on your benefactors at least once!

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
C Rekha looks out for numero uno

Haar_Dragon
Aug 21, 2015
That's...certainly a sprite to pick. Okay, rando, if you say so.

C here. Can't imagine subjects of human experimentation are too quick to trust much of anyone, although I guess the character COULD go in other directions.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
B. We let Chayma be regretful and good, let's have the kid be totally a double agent.

(Plus given who she's the standin for, it'll make the WoR really interesting if the kid is on the darker side of the coin.)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
As much as I wanna go with A, we're kinda already taking that route with Chayma, so let's go with C instead, to act as a foil.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
C feels the most like this character who thinks of herself as a street kid first and foremost and then the rest of her life happened to her.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
B, so we're not just retreading the vanilla plot.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

C because I can.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
C, it's gonna take years to get through to a street kid trod on this much.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
C, 100 percent. It just feels like the right vibe here.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
B Let's go chaos for a bit.

Crazy Lou
Apr 22, 2015
B; I want to see a more direct foil to Chayma than the other options are shaping up to be.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

C seems the most fitting, given the character.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Wanna C where this goes

Social Psychology
Mar 25, 2015
Gotta be B

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

B doesn't feel right to me, as she's been hung up in a jail cell, so she'd have little love lost for the Empire. C sounds like the kind of practical mindset a jaded urchin would have.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Yeah, C makes the most sense for the character I think.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Capfalcon posted:

B doesn't feel right to me, as she's been hung up in a jail cell, so she'd have little love lost for the Empire.

An abused, desperate orphan who lived on the deadly streets of Vector? I'd say she'd probably backstab someone to keep warm even if the one offering is an abuser. Stockholm syndrome is a thing that happens, especially when you have an abusive, omnipresent empire like the Gestahl empire.

I have used the word "abuse/abused" too much and have made it useless in any context now. :/

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I have faith that our author can make any of the choices work. We have the barest sketch of a character at this point, so there's plenty of wiggle room when it comes to filling her in.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Haar_Dragon posted:

That's...certainly a sprite to pick. Okay, rando, if you say so.

Rekha's sprite was a wild curveball. Fortunately, improvising around those curveballs is a big part of what I signed up for here!

For those curious, there is a "nokids" flag you can set in Beyond Chaos, if you'd like to play through without running into unnerving weirdness that might result from certain characters rolling into kid sprites. I chose not to set it - I'm rewriting the dialogue anyway, and running into a major divergence is just an opportunity for improvisation!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I have faith that our author can make any of the choices work. We have the barest sketch of a character at this point, so there's plenty of wiggle room when it comes to filling her in.

Yeah! I hereby make this solemn promise: no matter what's voted for, I'll always do my best to make it flow with the story. That said, it warms my heart to see people voting in line with what they think is right for the character. Collaborative storytelling rules.

Felinoid posted:

But even with that in mind, I think I'm going to vote A. I am itching to see how Jadate's skillset will work in South Figaro, and what allowances the randomizer makes to ensure you can progress no matter what it rolls.

Since you were curious about this, I thought I'd write up some notes! This is just mechanical ephemera, so big nerds only.

quote:

South Figaro in Beyond Chaos

This is a fantastic little segment in the base game, and it's good here too.

There are two disguises you need to use to navigate South Figaro - the Imperial soldier, and a merchant disguise, which is used to figure out the existence of the passworded secret passage. You get the merchant disguise from a belligerent merchant in one of the shops, who you start a fight with and then use the Steal command on. This dresses you up as a merchant, and you can use that cover to navigate to the edge of town where you can find an Imperial grunt to Steal a uniform from. Then you open a path by relieving another soldier of their watch duty, become a merchant again, steal some cider to deliver to the recalcitrant old man in the south-east of town, and loosen his lips so he'll tell you about the secret passage.

It's really good - a slice of adventure game in your RPG. What's extra cool is that you can scope out a lot of the components of this scenario on your first visit to South Figaro - you can find the clock room and the cell block just by looking for secrets, and the servant who delivers the old man's cider actually patrols between the two relevant points on the map before the town is under Imperial occupation. Exploring the town earlier is rewarded with clues you can use later!

Beyond Chaos solves the problem of you likely not having access to the Steal command in a way that's simple and maybe a bit disappointing if you were hoping for chicanery. When you defeat one of the encounters you can normally steal clothes from, you simply get the disguise, they cower in deshabille, and a little message pops up saying hey, you stole their clothes, too!

We cut the merchant disguise for reasons that will become evident when we see what Nalaal's up to (!). Also? Since Jadate can actually defeat the magitek soldiers guarding the alleys in South Figaro, she didn't need it to approach the north wall to begin with. The vanishing flute is powerful indeed!

The Tunnel Armour's magic is brutal without Runic, but it doesn't have much HP, and there's just enough wiggle room in its AI script that even very weak parties can keep their footing if the RNG is kind to you. Some people run permadeath Beyond Chaos, where if a character dies they're out of commission forever - and in that scenario, where you can't retry, the Tunnel Armour is one of the biggest early run killers. It won't softlock you, though: there are rest spots and opportunities to save nearby, and if you need to, you can grind a level or two.

One thing running this much more difficult version of FF6 makes me appreciate is how easy it would be to include accidental softlocks in a game like this, and how much work the original developers did to avoid that possibility. You almost always have a way to backtrack to a safe spot and regroup, even in the most linear and direct parts of the story. In the Lete River segment, where you can't backtrack, the game makes sure to give you access to bottomless healing magic via Banon's Pray ability. As such it can be a softlock in Beyond Chaos - so if you have a team with no healing, handle with care!

Haar_Dragon
Aug 21, 2015

Android Blues posted:

One thing running this much more difficult version of FF6 makes me appreciate is how easy it would be to include accidental softlocks in a game like this, and how much work the original developers did to avoid that possibility. You almost always have a way to backtrack to a safe spot and regroup, even in the most linear and direct parts of the story. In the Lete River segment, where you can't backtrack, the game makes sure to give you access to bottomless healing magic via Banon's Pray ability. As such it can be a softlock in Beyond Chaos - so if you have a team with no healing, handle with care!

And then FFVIA happened. I prefer that version in most aspects, but Dragon's Den is horrible and you cannot change my mind.

Turns out, a postgame dungeon where enemies have access to "Confuse but it doesn't come off" but do less damage than you is really terrible when one of the characters absorbs their damage element!

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
C.

Great thread so far, but shouldn't it be "Female Fantasy" for the alliteration? :thunk:

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
Throwing in with C here.

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender
Gonna jump on the bandwagon with C.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

A minor note, most of the people that do Beyond Chaos permadeath only count when you get Annihilated; individual characters dying is fine as long as the whole party doesn't.

I'm sure some people might do Nuzlocke variants like that but it sounds really unfun.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

A minor note, most of the people that do Beyond Chaos permadeath only count when you get Annihilated; individual characters dying is fine as long as the whole party doesn't.

I'm sure some people might do Nuzlocke variants like that but it sounds really unfun.

Oh! Yeah, my bad. You're right, that's way more sensible.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

8. The Star-Crossed Generals

A) All your instincts scream no, but...try your best to trust Jadate. [0]
B) Make like you're innocent now, then blow the rebels to bits when the attack on Narshe begins. [6]
C) Scrape and grift for whatever you can get from this lady, then scram when the getting's good. [14]

That's right. In your experience, trustworthy people don't exist: there are saps, dupes and rubes, who can't be trusted because they'll fall for anything, and there are smart people, who are usually horrid but also usually well fed. Your life so far has been a process of slowly, painfully moving from the first group to the second group.

This lady's a dupe, and that's fine. If this was Vector you'd just cut her purse and make a break for it, but you're in the middle of the mountains and your knowledge of geography is mostly centred on where the military police hang out (not relevant) and which restaurants throw out their spare food when (you wish this was relevant). If you don't want to be starving in some foreign village a week from now, you need to figure out something good.

This is gonna be easy.

You are now Nalaal Xandros Figaro.

You wake up on a gravel beach, the faint glimmers of silver-blue light still flowing over your wrists and your fingertips. You've been unconscious for hours: you vaguely remember the rocking waves, the water pushing into your mouth and then flowing away before it reached your lungs. You know the Sign of Alexander must have been protecting you.

It doesn't take much investigation to intuit that you washed out to sea: without the Esper's blessing, you would have drowned out there. You feel quietly grateful and, at the same time, ashamed. It feels desperately unfair to all the sailors drowned at sea in the long book of history that you should be carried by the delicate hands of the divine, instead of being buried in the churning waves.

You place that feeling carefully to one side. The Sign is a part of you: you need to recognise that. You visualise it held in your hands, and then as a silver extension of your hands, pushing your hopes into the world.

You focus a little revitalising magic, and your clothes begin to lift and flitter, drying in a warm wind.

The woman who sits by the side of the well is strange; the shadows and the fact that she's accompanied by a perfectly normal looking dog blinded you to it before you were up close. Her body glistens in the sun slightly as she moves - not the sheen of skin, but chitin.

You try a smile, conscious of the fact that she's spotted the silvery Sign of Alexander on your throat, and is looking at it with unreserved interest.

She eases up from where she's sitting - and instead of coming to her feet, she rises up past the ground. A light buzzing noise comes from translucent wings.

That hurts your heart to hear - what if Zekiye has fought her battle by then, and lost it? You need to set a pace.

You aren't sure how you feel about that. She might try to rob you. That would be embarrassing for everyone involved: you're fairly certain this woman (?) can't weigh more than a hundred pounds, if those gossamer wings are able to lift her off the ground.

You believe that people are fundamentally good. In Dora the Wasp's case, the fundament is beneath several layers of highly toxic sediment, and possibly the barometric pressure of an ocean.

She's such a poor communicator, silence would be better. A harsh sigh or ragged insult nests in every piece of advice. She is entirely resistant to your icebreakers, meditative musings, or attempts at companionable bonding. In three days of hiking you haven't seen her smile, let alone laugh, but she seems to take a distinct and mordant pleasure in the sight of you navigating tree roots or edging along a steep hill while she hovers a few feet ahead. It's as if she feels she's being silently proven right.

Her dog, perhaps unique among all dogs, is also terrible company. You have not yet given up on establishing a rapport with Tongue Hunger, but the large Kohlingen doberman spends most of her time looking at your mouth covetously.

There are a few saving graces: she's an excellent wayfinder, and she's good in a fight. This close to the Veldt, that famous broiler of endlessly varied monsters and beasts, roaming predators are common.

Dora's first command is R-All. Here's a quick primer on the R- prefix in Beyond Chaos - it indicates that, when the character uses the command, they'll use an ability randomly selected from within a set described by the next word. This is usually a group of themed abilities, like "abilities that recover HP" or "abilities with the Holy element".

R-All sounds like it might be selecting randomly from the set of all abilities, right? A reasonable assumption. Instead, however, R-All actually selects from a very small group of abilities - abilities that target all combatants, including allies.

This set is a murderer's row of infamous Final Fantasy 6 spells. It consists of Quake, Meltdown, Whirlwind, Crusader and Force Field. With the exception of Force Field, every one of these outcomes will either kill most things on the battlefield outright, or reduce them to critical HP, especially at this point in the game. That includes Dora's allies - and Dora herself.

People fear Dora for a good reason. She's the definition of bad news: when she drifts into town, the only thing stopping her from melting everything in a three mile radius to slag is her notoriously rosy temperament. The amount of magical power sizzling behind her chitin is staggering, and lifting the curtain on even a fraction of it would be blindingly dangerous.

We are not going to be using R-All on Dora's journey with Nalaal. It would end badly for everyone.

(There's a lot of potential to find ways to work with this command - actually, it presents an interesting challenge. Huge power, if you can build the scaffolding to support it! Meltdown does upwards of 2000 damage even at these low levels, so it's no joke.)

Dora's other ability is Sketch. She can loop a bit of magical feedback and create illusions of her enemies, perfect for creating a distraction - or for hitting them with coruscating duplicates of their own magic.

Sketch is a very niche ability - it can be excellent or underwhelming, depending entirely on what you're up against. Beyond Chaos randomises enemy abilities and attributes, so experimentation is rewarded: it's entirely possible to run into enemies that cast powerful magic that you can hijack with Sketch. On the other hand, you could just duplicate their physical special and deal less damage than swinging in with Dora's knife.

Dora drifts forward, pulls on the flap of one of the tents, and walks in, free as you please. You only relax your poise, reluctantly, when she buzzes back out, an Imperial officer trailing her.

The commander sees an unarmoured woman, her hair streaked with silver - and decides to take her chances.

Ziqiya's commands are Fight, SloViri, Throw and Magic. A black mage seasoned by leading troops against the Empire, she combines her people's dark magic with tricks and a limber athleticism that hasn't been dulled by age. As a general, Ziqiya was a terror to her foes: clouds of poison swirled through their formations, allowing her skirmishers to break apart Gestahl's phalanxes.

What does SloViri do? Ziqiya has sworn not to use it yet, so we'll have to find that out later.

The captain's armour is heavy, and as the duel commences, she speaks a command word. A mirrored visor covers her face, glinting impossible refractions of light into Ziqiya's eyes!

This is our first appearance of something else Beyond Chaos does - when enemies are generated, they sometimes have a variety of innate status effects. In this case, the captain has auto-protect, halving all the damage she takes from Ziqiya's dagger. Not only that, she has a procedurally generated move that deals damage and inflicts Darkness!

If you're conversant in FF6's weird mechanical foibles, you know that physical evasion is bugged in the base game - characters incorrectly use their magic evade stat in the calculation for physical dodge rate, which has the side-effect of making Darkness a status effect that does (almost) literally nothing.

Beyond Chaos fixes that bug: Darkness works as intended, and halves Ziqiya's physical accuracy while making attacks against her 25% more accurate.

Of course, Ziqiya was careful in wording her promise. She casts Berserk on herself, descending into the cold focus of anger -

- and slices through the captain's armour in a few telling strokes.

A moment of history...

Mysidia was founded by a trio of Espers, the Magus Sisters, and its citizenry - descendants of the human tribesfolk that the Sisters adopted as their flock during the War of the Magi - claims the perpetual blessing of that trio. Mysidian aristocrats often proudly brandish family trees which supposedly illustrate their line of Esper heritage. While this is a dubious claim, it is true that most Mysidians can practise at least a little black magic.

An isolationist nation, it has resisted involvement in global politics for centuries - until the very recent development of magitek by the Empire threatened its sense of national identity, and it began to fund the Returners in secret.

To the Mysidians, magitek is a sacrilege. Magic should be given, not taken. The Empire, for their part, were all too happy to settle old scores.

Dora's wings buzz furiously. Tongue Hunger stops inspecting a nearby snail and pads over to her master's side, looking dolefully violent.

For some reason, even though you're mostly confident Alexander's protection extends to angering a four foot wasp woman, you feel like it might be smart to bite your tongue.

You beam at her with the renewable confidence of a life-long optimist.

General Leo sags visibly. Her battle regalia seems little protection against unfavourable orders.

General Leo looks haggard under her resplendent armour. It's clear she's powerless to gainsay this woman.

The woman leers at you over her fanned hand, eyes wide and staring.

You make a face at the odious dilettante commander and scram. You won't be able to help much when the fighting kicks off if you've worn yourself out scrapping with the back line.

Along the riverbank, for a mile around, insects stop their buzz mid-flight. The roots of desert plants deaden in the soil. The woman's magic, destructive and poisonous, is extended into the water.

Ziqiya breaks from her aide's side. All around the castle are the groans of the dying: groups of mages try to work counter-spells against the miasma in the air.

The general runs, but is too late. The king has been frail from his boyhood; even the vapours of the poison are enough to clammer his lungs and cut off his air.

His voice fails before his final imprecation can be spoken.

The order is given. What else can be done?

The lovers embrace. For a moment, the desperation all around them is forgotten.

Castle Mysidia is about a mile away - and just as the Imperial troops start to march and you gear yourself up to lance a beam of holy light through the likeliest looking grunt, you see a figure who seems to have beaten you to it.

She's fighting with a long knife, agile and untouched. When she gestures with her fingers, clouds of fuming smoke coat her assailants, choking them as she moves through their line.

Dora's also accompanied by her dog, Tongue Hunger. This gives her an extra source of physical evasion, as her faithful hound (perhaps the only thing in the world Dora the Wasp loves) will sometimes leap in to block attacks. After blocking, Tongue Hunger has a 50% chance to counter-attack, dealing heavy damage to the person who tried to hurt her master!

Tongue Hunger's damage is absolutely mega. Her counters range between 700 - 1000 damage, enough to kill any normal enemy and seriously wound bosses.

You let a flourish of silvery-green magic roll down from your throat to your palm, pulsating a slight, reassuring warmth. Dora scowls at you askance, the sun gleaming off the nictitating membrane of her eyes.

You extend a forearm, and Ziqiya shakes it, her grip strong and limber.

As you say it, you feel perfect confidence that it's true. Your crown and throat chakras feel radiant and alive.

Ziqiya raises a single finger to her brow, as if attempting to centre herself.

You consider protesting to that title, too, but decide there are better uses of your breath in this extremely hectic moment.

Character select.

You are...

A) Nalaal Xandros Figaro, harmonising with your birthright.
B) Ziqiya of Mysidia, on a mission to save your homeland.
C) Dora the Wasp, bitter and secretive.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Dora. I feel like her perspective would be fascinating right now.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Dora is a walking magical nuke and I wanna see more of how she feels about that

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Dora

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

As ever, the COMMAND PROMPT remains open. If you'd like to issue a command to a party member, or switch characters, the power is yours. Feel free to get wild with it!

This update was an interesting one. Shuffling around all the cuts between Mysidia and the Imperial camp was a pain, and I ended up doing significant rewrites I didn't expect here. Some notes on specifically why we visited Mysidia and not another, more canonical country to come later!