Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Bloodborne is bad

because I can't play it on PC.

Though actually I also thought DS3 was kind of weak and that apparently takes after BB so it's possible I genuinely wouldn't like it all that much even if I did get to finally play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Majula is a flat, two dimensional wheel hub. Oh great a village. It's not as pretty as people say and the music is only ok.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah it’s pretty good, defintely up there for hub areas

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Clown Depot posted:

Hey everyone, I'm having fun playing Dark Souls 2! What's your favorite boss in that game? :sotw:

I like the last giant just on aesthetics alone. He’s so big and sad… really sets a new tone after running through castles.

It was colorful too! Everything has gotten so edgy-drab.

I’ve said it before DS2 is the Rodney Dangerfield of souls titles. It don’t get no respect! I had a ton of fun with this title and I think it had some of the best multiplayer. Two Forrest hunter covenants with two areas each loaded with tons of traps? Yes please!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Majula is a very nice little area, pretty place, nice music, neat NPCs, much more prettier with more detail than any other area in the game. As a hub, it's not great because there's only 3 connections to other areas, and you never really organically come back to it other than by fast travel. Gameplay-wise, I totally missed the Emerald Herald for like the first few hours of the game, and I also missed the connection to Giants' Forest (which I think is more supposed to be the "first" area?), and even after I found her, I resented the way the game used her to inorganically shackle you to Majula.

Compared to the other Souls game hubs, I guess I didn't like how the Nexus in Demon Souls also relied on Fast Travel, but it was more thematic and mystical how it was this place you were stuck coming back to as a dead man tethered to this one point, and these big areas with weird secrets. DS3 was just the Nexus again but smaller and darker. There were a few neat moments and secrets in DS3's hub, and the outside graveyard is kinda neat, but it's probably the weakest in the series. And then there's Firelink in Dark Souls, woven together with the rest of the world so it's actually useful to pass through there a few times even without being tethered to a level up lady or merchants, a few connections to later areas that even if you can't beat, you can still snag some nice items to use, and a great moment about a third through the game where you climb all the way back up from the bottom of the world, you arrive back in Firelink. You can even choose to leave Firelink behind without its bonfire, making whether you care about it as a hub even more important to the game.

I think Firelink is also a lot more thematic as an area, as a ruined temple perched atop a cliff overlooking an impossibly massive castle complex that you pass through in later phases in the game, and also right above the altar of the lordvessel, so you get an idea of the area's extra importance, while Majula is just some ruined town at the base of some impassable foothills overlooking the sea. I think DS2 has much less "look at that thing in the distance that's just part of the skybox--you can go there" than the other Souls games.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Finished the second(?) DLC, the frozen wasteland. The area was cool, the shortcuts were nice and mostly useful, i liked snowballing, the whole "half-way through the area layout changes a bit so there's new stuff to find / ways to go" gimmick was cool and an organic way to rewards the backtracking you usually do in these games anyways, the knights sidequest was a nice bonus.
Some nice setpieces, cool looking bosses, and the Old Chaos was the first area in the game that actually got me thinking "Wow, this looks pretty sweet!". The Cathedral was also pretty grand, even if there wasn't much to it.

All in all, very good. It's just so little, so late.

edit: Majula is okay. The mood and music are on point, but as described above it's no firelink shrine.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Even though Matthewmatosis is correct with every criticism he made about DS2, it is still the best game in the series because it was the most fun for me personally, and that's all that matters.

Bloodborne, Elden Ring and Sekiro are all superior, though. Best boss in DS2 is Fume Knight, but Pursuer is a close #2.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Darke GBF posted:

Bloodborne, Elden Ring and Sekiro are all superior, though. Best boss in DS2 is Fume Knight, but Pursuer is a close #2.

Well, Elden Ring is anyway

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
DS2 has a lot of issues and it's the worst Dark Souls game but that still makes it one of the best games out there

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

HenryEx posted:

Finished the second(?) DLC, the frozen wasteland.

It's the third, actually. But realistically the difficulty curves for all three are all over the place so no big deal, really.

Darke GBF posted:

Even though Matthewmatosis is correct with every criticism he made about DS2

Matthewmatosis said that the Prowling Magus fight was the hardest and most bullshit boss in the game because he didn't understand you can attack things without locking onto them. :colbert:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Matthewmatosis is wrong about a lot of things who thinks Demons Souls was the best game of them all and mistakes needlessly obtuse and complex stuff like the insane way weapons were upgraded in Demons Souls with depth and thinks accessibility so the games can be enjoyed by more people without sacrificing challenge is a bad thing.

It's endlessly frustrating to see his arguments repeated ad nauseum when he's wrong not only much about Dark Souls 2 but also the rest of the series. His video about why he's not going to do videos on Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 because he felt the games "lack soul" is the kind of cynical ranting I'd expect to see on 4Chan honestly.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

Bloodborne is bad.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Imagine being this stupid.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
is mattmewmatosis that guy who target locked an enemy in the corner of the room in the magus and congregation fight and complained that the encounters were badly designed when he got stabbed in the back

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Foul Fowl posted:

is mattmewmatosis that guy who target locked an enemy in the corner of the room in the magus and congregation fight and complained that the encounters were badly designed when he got stabbed in the back

Yep.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dark Souls 2 is the game that got me into the series so it's good.

It's also funny going back and watching the bosses I considered hard compared to the hard bosses in Elden Ring.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

Dark Souls 2 is the game that got me into the series so it's good.

It's also funny going back and watching the bosses I considered hard compared to the hard bosses in Elden Ring.

I kind of feel that Elden Ring is closer to being a sequel to Dark Souls 2 than Dark Souls 3 was. With a lot of the basic ideas and mechanics being based from Dark Souls 2. It's what I imagine Dark Souls 2 would have been if it had more time, budget and coherent direction from the beginning.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Foul Fowl posted:

He was mad because if he locked onto the guys crawling on the floor he'd be taking the camera off of the spellcasters sniping at him and eat poo poo for it. Clearly there is no viable solution to this problem, the boss is just badly designed.

Also I seem to remember a general anguish about the incredibly unfair difficulty of any fight involving more than one enemy, because as we all know Dark Souls is singularly about fair 1v1 duels and no other form of encounter. I mean, that's why Dark Souls 2 is so reviled - it took the clean, staggering fair gauntlet of 1v1 fights of the first game and replaced them all with swarms of enemies around every corner!

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 14, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I don't dislike Elden Ring, but Dark Souls 2 is still the peak of the series for me. For some reason I could do playthrough after playthrough without getting bored, which very rarely happens with me and video games.

I miss old Souls boss design. It feels like every other boss in Elden jumps around the room like a coked up chimpanzee and has 85 hit combos where you get .2 seconds of window to attack, so if you're not abusing sorcery or jump attack spam or bleed/rot/frost or broken weapon arts every boss is painful as hell to learn(and completely trivial if you're abusing any of that). Fights like Artorias and Fume Knight are fun and memorable because they're exceptions to the normally relatively slow and ponderous gameplay so it kind of sucks that every boss is Artorias and Fume Knight now.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

He was mad because if he locked onto the guys crawling on the floor he'd be taking the camera off of the spellcasters sniping at him and eat poo poo for it. Clearly there is no viable solution to this problem, the boss is just badly designed.

Also I seem to remember a general anguish about the incredibly unfair difficulty of any fight involving more than one enemy, because as we all know Dark Souls is singularly about fair 1v1 duels and no other form of encounter. I mean, that's why Dark Souls 2 is so reviled - it took the clean, staggering fair gauntlet of 1v1 fights of the first game and replaced them all with swarms of enemies around every corner!

Part of that is because the meta for Dark Souls 1 at the time was to always use shields and bait enemies towards you for one on one fights and two handing a weapon was too risky, Dark Souls 2 was different so they struggled to adapt to how it wants you to play and it also encouraged all builds to have a ranged option of some kind as a backup weapon in stark contrast to the first game which encouraged sticking to just one weapon. To be fair there is some truth to baiting enemies one by one in Dark Souls 1 but it's more due to multiple enemies in Dark Souls 1 mostly appearing in tight hallways where their attacks overlap each other so you never get a good opening to attack but that's more of a flaw of the level design than fighting multiple enemies at once inherently being bad.

Bloodborne I think more successfully got people to break out of the overly defensive playstyle that they used for Dark Souls 1 and tried to use and get frustrated at in Dark Souls 2.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They really should've used rally again.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I wonder how many players actually payed much attention to rally. I know when I beat the game I didn’t think much of it. It was fine but I didn’t try very hard to use it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

They really should've used rally again.

There actually is a rally mechanic in Elden Ring in the form of a Great Rune, but it's locked behind one of the hardest optional bosses in the game, cuts the healing from your flask, and doesn't add subsequent hits into your Rally grey health. If you get absolutely whacked by a guy with a greatclub and then a mosquito pecks you right after, the only HP you can recover is the stuff you lost from the mosquito. It sucks!!!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Vermain posted:

There actually is a rally mechanic in Elden Ring in the form of a Great Rune, but it's locked behind one of the hardest optional bosses in the game, cuts the healing from your flask, and doesn't add subsequent hits into your Rally grey health. If you get absolutely whacked by a guy with a greatclub and then a mosquito pecks you right after, the only HP you can recover is the stuff you lost from the mosquito. It sucks!!!

Also the Rally window is insanely short.

Basically all Great Runes other than Godricks are useless and it’s a joke of a system.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

Basically all Great Runes other than Godricks are useless and it’s a joke of a system.

When I saw how strong Godrick's rune was, I was excited to get the other runes and see what cool bonuses they would offer to compare to +5 to all stats for free.

I was very swiftly disappointed.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
dark souls 2 is good yo, it's more dark souls but slightly tweaked and just off centre enough to feel unfamiliar

i really had a good time with it but then i also didn't play it till 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CharlestheHammer posted:

I wonder how many players actually payed much attention to rally. I know when I beat the game I didn’t think much of it. It was fine but I didn’t try very hard to use it

It's pretty huge.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Shoulda been each gives you some sort of permanent bonus.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Kanos posted:

I don't dislike Elden Ring, but Dark Souls 2 is still the peak of the series for me. For some reason I could do playthrough after playthrough without getting bored, which very rarely happens with me and video games.

I miss old Souls boss design. It feels like every other boss in Elden jumps around the room like a coked up chimpanzee and has 85 hit combos where you get .2 seconds of window to attack, so if you're not abusing sorcery or jump attack spam or bleed/rot/frost or broken weapon arts every boss is painful as hell to learn(and completely trivial if you're abusing any of that). Fights like Artorias and Fume Knight are fun and memorable because they're exceptions to the normally relatively slow and ponderous gameplay so it kind of sucks that every boss is Artorias and Fume Knight now.

mid-level enemies in Elden Ring would absolutely annihilate Artorias and Fume K***ht, it's pretty crazy now

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CharlestonJew posted:

mid-level enemies in Elden Ring would absolutely annihilate Artorias and Fume K***ht, it's pretty crazy now

Margit, Lord of Cinder

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

RBA Starblade posted:

A Bear, Lord of Cinder

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

CharlestonJew posted:

This is one of the things about ds3 that bugged me. Pus of man enemies and whatnot, and the speed of a lot of the combat really bugged me

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean a lot of the enemies of dark souls woukd wreck the hardest boss of demon souls.

The series combat had been speeding up steadily for basically its entire modern run

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

HenryEx posted:

After playing Dark Souls for 400 hours i was excited to jump into Dark Souls 2 and

i wasn't excited for long

i only got to or slightly past the dumb three-way boss fight before dropping this game with a vague but powerful sense of disappointment in the game and also myself, but mostly the game.

Because i like Zullie videos and Dark Souls is one of my favorite video games of all time, i booted up the SotFS version i've had forever and never played, to give Dark Souls 2 another shot after 8 years. And man. It still almost exactly as i remembered it.

Why is the game so loving ugly. Holy moly. Dark Souls was jank, but it wasn't this ugly. I looked down from some ramparts in the first Forest area and i couldn't even make out the topology of the ground below me, only after dropping all the way down did it become clear that the item shiny was actually on an unreachable legde above because everything looks like a samey soup

Why does the healing suck so much. How the gently caress do you only get like two or three heals for the first ten hours of game

Why does leveling up feel like shooting nerf darts at a wall. The leveling up was hella opaque in Dark Souls, too, but it didn't feel this bad

Why did they change so many weapon movesets from the first one for the worse. What did they do to my poor boy Zweihander

What the gently caress did they do to backstab and riposte?? They were gaming nirvana in DS1, the poof, the NOISE, the animation lock. Why did they think it was a necessary change to make backstabs able to miss. And i actually had to google how to riposte someone because despite practising parries for an hour or so, i couldn't get a single riposte. You actually just have to stand around and twiddle your thumbs for a second or two to wait for your enemy to clumsily fall on their rear end before you can get your finisher? WHAT THE F-

Dingy set is NG+ exclusive? Could you kindly just gently caress off?

I remembered going to Heide very early 8 years ago but just couldn't find a way to open the doors in SotFS, so i continued for about 3 other areas before finally giving up and asking google, and even though i then knew exactly what to look for, it still took me a minute to find the chain to pull because GOOD LORD this game looks like rear end

Cool rat covenant you have there. And the bell keeper thing and stuff. All the emphasis on more online player interaction and PvP and whatnot doesn't really do much for the game when the servers are down rn for an indeterminate amount of time, i gotta say

The Gutter is actually kinda an okay send-up to Blighttown, even maybe a slightly improved version of it since you can make your own waypoints instead of going for ladder beacons like in DS1. Probably the one area i liked. Mapping it out, "conquering" it and being able to navigate it with natural ease at the end felt very good.

Did i mention the game looks like rear end yet

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck Shrine of Amana and gently caress whoever designed it

Idiot.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I missed this lmao

Two heals in ten hours eh

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean a lot of the enemies of dark souls woukd wreck the hardest boss of demon souls.

The series combat had been speeding up steadily for basically its entire modern run

I don't think it's a good trend. It worked well in Bloodborne because Bloodborne built the player's movement options and healing around hyper fast rocket tag play. The Souls player character is much more slow and ponderous so making all the enemies faster than BB bosses just feels bad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean I disagree? At this point the bloodborne character is much slower than modern Souls character.

This is especially true in Elden Ring

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean I disagree? At this point the bloodborne character is much slower than modern Souls character.

This is especially true in Elden Ring

Absolutely 100% totally not, unless you're using quickstep(which is the bloodborne roll except it costs fp instead of just stamina) or bloodhound step.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Kanos posted:

Absolutely 100% totally not, unless you're using quickstep(which is the bloodborne roll except it costs fp instead of just stamina) or bloodhound step.

I mean disagree I guess. It was interesting going back to bloodborne for just how slow the character (and by extension the boss fights) feels.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You can do stepstepstepstep a lot faster in BB than you can roll in 3/ER but the bosses in both are about the same. The fastest ER bosses are about the same speed as the seven or whatever variations on Cleric Beast in BB; big dogmonster that flails repeatedly.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Part of the issue is simply that the only truly universal defensive option in most of these games is dodge rolling (and spacing, if we're being generous), so bosses have to be designed to only assume dodge rolling. It follows that the only way to make a single input more challenging is to increase the speed or make subsequent rolls harder to predict the correct timing for, which is why Elden Ring has bosses with 7-hit combos and gigantic AoE shockwaves. Sekiro's a really good argument for making blocking and parrying an innate part of the player's toolkit ala Nioh 2, as it'd let them slow down the pace and put more emphasis on choosing the appropriate defense for a given attack rather than speeding up the attacks to a comical degree.

DS2 for me was the last time where it felt like the dodge-only paradigm really worked well, which is possibly why I'm as fond of it as I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Vermain posted:

Part of the issue is simply that the only truly universal defensive option in most of these games is dodge rolling (and spacing, if we're being generous), so bosses have to be designed to only assume dodge rolling. It follows that the only way to make a single input more challenging is to increase the speed or make subsequent rolls harder to predict the correct timing for, which is why Elden Ring has bosses with 7-hit combos and gigantic AoE shockwaves. Sekiro's a really good argument for making blocking and parrying an innate part of the player's toolkit ala Nioh 2, as it'd let them slow down the pace and put more emphasis on choosing the appropriate defense for a given attack rather than speeding up the attacks to a comical degree.

DS2 for me was the last time where it felt like the dodge-only paradigm really worked well, which is possibly why I'm as fond of it as I am.

This is a really good articulation of what bothers me, I think, and also why I fondly remember DS2 so much.