Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The German and British banking systems are little more than Russian money laundering fronts at this point, the real estate markets are flooded with that clean cash and virtually every right wing politician of influence in Europe is business partners with someone two steps removed from an oligarch. This is even before you consider what effects sanctions might have in their home countries, which can and will topple governments. No one has an appetite for meaningful, long lasting sanctions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

McNally posted:

Effective immediately, the United States has banned the importation of Russian cars, computers, and pineapples.

Is this the joke or foreal?

Didn't know the US had any demand for ladas.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 7, 2022

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I just do not agree that the borders were in disarray and was a "patchwork of conflicted borders and puppet states." I think Ukraine is a nation and Kyiv is its capitol, and there's no real question at all about where the border lay or whether its a patchwork to be interpreted at will. Russia does not get to annex Crimea and portions of donbas and then have people say "See? No one even knows where the borders are really, I guess. What a patchwork!" That's not a take I agree with.

Especially in response to Russia announcing regime change goals.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 24, 2022

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Defenestrategy posted:

Is this the joke or foreal?

Didn't know the US had any demand for ladas.

The sanctions I've seen announced so far are, broadly speaking, banking and high tech, with some kind of generic sanctions against Russian oligarchs. Realistically, US sanctions will only go so far - the US and Russia just aren't major trading partners. Handicapping Russia economically will be primarily a European activity unless China gets on board.

Bored As gently caress posted:

He's probably gonna try to talk to Xi and somehow convince him to join the west in sanctions.

I'm betting they're negotiating. I bet China says "okay, if we do that, you stop defending Taiwan.

Idk I'm just tired as gently caress

This won't happen immediately, but in the weeks/months to come it may be more likely than a lot of people currently appreciate. One thing China and Xi both want is international political legitimacy - and stepping in to curtail Russia helps them tremendously on that front. That helps them transition from "Sure, you're a wildly wealthy country but you still step on everyone's toes on a daily basis" to "Hey, thanks for helping to prevent WWIII."

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 7, 2022

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The German and British banking systems are little more than Russian money laundering fronts at this point, the real estate markets are flooded with that clean cash and virtually every right wing politician of influence in Europe is business partners with someone two steps removed from an oligarch. This is even before you consider what effects sanctions might have in their home countries, which can and will topple governments. No one has an appetite for meaningful, long lasting sanctions.

I actually agree with all of your assertions, and they're the exact reason I want to see meaningful, long lasting sanctions. Cut the loving rot out, even though it will hurt.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 7, 2022

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
This is the opening of a thread that gives a general assessment:

https://twitter.com/DanLamothe/status/1496881025477226499?s=20&t=_mLzbDtYPywCPp_6XwvyIQ

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
As a UK Tankie (Tank Commander) I know little of air C2 but what's stopping NATO feeding ukraine SIGNIT and AWACS information from the polish side?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/holocaustmuseum/status/1496908936213106694?s=21

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

This is metal AF

https://mobile.twitter.com/ukraine_world/status/1496866811110834176?s=21

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Proud Christian Mom posted:

If this was an intended play by the russians it seems a smart one

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

My wife is friends with a lady from Kyiv who is currently fleeing for her life together with her mom with little more than the clothes on their backs. They're heading for the Polish border. We're looking to see if we can paypal them some money once they get there. poo poo is hosed up.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

WE CANNOT ALLOW A BABUSHKA GAP

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/sichrismannix/status/1496921473025703936?s=21

I know he’s been retired from boxing for a while now and, became heavily involved with Ukrainian politics, but it’s still kind of wild to read this.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If something positive came out of 20 years in Iraq and Afghanistan, it's that the CIA and the Ukrainians they will soon train have some expert experience with IEDs now.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

MonkeyLibFront posted:

As a UK Tankie (Tank Commander) I know little of air C2 but what's stopping NATO feeding ukraine SIGNIT and AWACS information from the polish side?

Ukraine has limited ability to translate that into kinetic use against Russia right now, so you can't easily tell what help they're getting.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

psydude posted:

If something positive came out of 20 years in Iraq and Afghanistan, it's that the CIA and the Ukrainians they will soon train have some expert experience with IEDs now.

I’m willing to bet that there’s a bunch of small-town Ukrainian machinists who are bewildered but delighted by the nice young men who spoke Ukrainian with an American accent and paid them lots of money after showing them how to use their machines to make large copper discs; same with the fertilizer factory across town who just had their entire supply of ammonium nitrate purchased by the aforementioned nice young men. :nsa:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Still very much unconfirmed, but Ukraine may have taken back the Hostomel Airport from the Russian special force dudes.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Source

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1496950008339484672?t=y4Q0aEr-ydLWEvi-3cE2Jg&s=19

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1496954630277902346?t=jWPK0uKxpQwqae7MbXiObQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/AVindman/status/1496954024914046978?t=6QaImfLrMb7wNZg3mMWxeQ&s=19

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
A page late here but all this sounds like maybe a loving 80 year old shouldn't be President :sigh:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

This has to be a stunning upset the Russians couldn't have seen coming, right?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The Economist mentioned that the Ukrainians are claiming to have destroyed an entire Russian tank column (15 tanks - that's almost an Armor company's worth, if I'm not mistaken) with Javelins. Raytheon engineers probably patting themselves on the back right now.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Ukraine has limited ability to translate that into kinetic use against Russia right now, so you can't easily tell what help they're getting.

Very true but a more passive bonus would be early warning for ground units, air states for troops, positioning of man portable air defence. Just breaks my heart as a service member of the UK seeing scenes of that Ukrainian pilot and ground forces literally fighting for their lives and country.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Colony dropppppp

https://twitter.com/COUPSURE/status/1496954831545810944

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

psydude posted:

The Economist mentioned that the Ukrainians are claiming to have destroyed an entire Russian tank column (15 tanks - that's almost an Armor company's worth, if I'm not mistaken) with Javelins. Raytheon engineers probably patting themselves on the back right now.

A Russian-pattern tank company is 3 platoons of 3 plus one commander's tank, so more than a company.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

This has to be a stunning upset the Russians couldn't have seen coming, right?

I'd hazard a guess they had gambled on clearing out a corridor for heavy lift to reinforce through before an effective response came and

Failed.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

psydude posted:

Literally this scene but with more modern weaponry. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXDemoHHinw

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I'd hazard a guess they had gambled on clearing out a corridor for heavy lift to reinforce through before an effective response came and

Failed.

Is such a plan even feasible in this pitched theater of war? I know the French did similar actions during Operation Serval but that was against an unorganized militia with a bunch of technicals.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Fragrag posted:

Is such a plan even feasible in this pitched theater of war? I know the French did similar actions during Operation Serval but that was against an unorganized militia with a bunch of technicals.

The failure of "they'll welcome us as liberators!" plays out yet again.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Failed.

Yep. NYT had an unnamed US defense official saying there were a number of transport planes airborne that were likely destined for the airfield. It looks like the attack from the north is being stymied by bad roads, so this is Russia's main effort. Ukraine probably knows this and is sending everything they've got to ensure it stays contested.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Fragrag posted:

It could be if it's far enough from enemy troops, sudden and undetected, and it's the Soviet vdv operating per standard doctrine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2G4K-5ZvDw

It's been a big idea for them for a long time.

Kamel
Apr 23, 2010

Not to put too much of a damper on our nice new sci-fi war crimes, but this is probably referring to progress module that the ISS uses for station keeping. Which is mostly just busy work for the Russians. There are other ways of doing it that have been used in the past.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Space Force’s time to shine!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heavy fighting in Sumy in eastern Ukraine. This was supposed to be in Russia's control earlier in the day.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ua_industrial/status/1496955222299590656

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wasn't conventional wisdom, before the start of the invasion, that the Javelins wouldn't be that useful?

https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1496955582254825478?s=21

Regardless, it appears the javelin is working pretty drat well and useful.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Taking their war strategy straight out of Goldeneye, I see.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Wasn't conventional wisdom, before the start of the invasion, that the Javelins wouldn't be that useful?

https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1496955582254825478?s=21

Regardless, it appears the javelin is working pretty drat well and useful.

If the problem was the anti-Javelin cages the Russians put on their tanks, surely the answer to that is "keep hitting them until they die."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

loving A, just keep the Ukrainians supplied with a constant stream of Javelins.