Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Also, consider that the people you've been training would likely have taken on their roles regardless of training or no training. You helped them be better at saving lives, you gave them the tools and knowledge they needed to give themselves the biggest chance to come out of this alive and intact, you gave them an outsider to share their life's stories and their personality with. Through you, they still live on in people's hearts.

Also, I don't know if there is already a system in place for this, but you could look into suggesting a system where the trainers who are burning out get to set up a pipeline where they train the new cadre of trainers.
This way you can share your knowledge and survive emotionally as well. Soldiers share the burdens because no one can hold all of this within them alone.

This will also give the new trainers a group of people to talk to who "get them" when they mourn as you do now.

SerthVarnee fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://www.kyivpost.com/post/30843

quote:

SBU Head Sends Cybersecurity Chief Suspected of Harassing Ukrainian Journalist to Front Line

lmao, I guess you don't gently caress with the Ukrainian fight against corruption. If you make the state look bad and weaken the communal fight, you get sent to the trenches. poo poo, I could think of a number of our politicians I'd love to send to the Ukrainian trenches, too.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I was about to suggest you could send a lot of our corrupt politicians to just do an enlistment as an E1 11B at 3ID, but that's some cruel and unusual poo poo.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i wonder if this could also be a solution to a bunch of the Rada not showing up to vote

okay not really, but the article's notable in its own right. two years of martial law (and the accompanying inability to hold elections), the various stresses of being a wartime government, and restrictions on resignations for non-medical reasons have resulted in a lot of parliament getting burnt out and just not bothering to show up and vote on lower-priority bills

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Tehdas posted:

It could get far worse, imagine if Trump gets in, he could:
  • cuts off all chance of aid to Ukraine
  • drop US sanctions against Russia
  • refuse any requests for transfer of military equipment to Ukraine (yeah, forget about those F16s)
    • maybe even force the return of existing equipment (dunno if any US equipment has been 'lent' like this)
  • start sending aid to Russia
  • explicitly say that the US will not intervene if Russia attacks any EU nations
    • which he's pretty much already said
    • and this would cause EU to prolly hold off aid to Ukraine in favour of beefing up the defences of it's own countries.
Most conversations seem to think that all Trump will do is the first, which I think is focusing a bit too much on current political battles.
Yeah, this is a bit DOOMy, but like only the sending of aid to Russia is unlikely. But then again this is trump, he could get in and do the complete opposite, in attempt to put himself in the history books or something.

It's not really DOOMy, he's basically outright stated or heavily implied he'd do all of those things (except, as ntoed, maybe the actual aid to Russia part, because Putin wouldn't want that due to it making them look weak).

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Aoi posted:

It's not really DOOMy, he's basically outright stated or heavily implied he'd do all of those things (except, as ntoed, maybe the actual aid to Russia part, because Putin wouldn't want that due to it making them look weak).

Just have Obama tweet that Trump couldn't support Ukraine militarily and watch his brain worms do exactly that.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

not caring here posted:

I was about to suggest you could send a lot of our corrupt politicians to just do an enlistment as an E1 11B at 3ID, but that's some cruel and unusual poo poo.

Back before he was a gropey Senator and was just a probably-gropey comedy writer, Al Franken specifically had a bit about a unit full of Republican chickenhawks being sent on a mission. It obviously did not go ell.

goomsnarr
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah, yeah...

defenceblog website posted:

According to the Militarnyi news agency, Ukraine’s Security Service (SBU) has successfully used a new type of suicide drone equipped with target auto-tracking to strike Russian air defense systems.

Footage released by the SBU showcased the drones autonomously acquiring and engaging targets, effectively destroying Russian anti-aircraft missile systems, including the “BUK” and “TOR” systems.

Despite efforts from Russian air defense systems, they were unable to prevent detection and engagement by Ukrainian drones.

https://defence-blog.com/ukraine-uses-new-type-of-suicide-drones-against-russian-missile-systems/?amp

There's a video on that page showing various manned Russian AA vehicles going boom, no gore.

Also, the Fallout series on Amazon is being released at 6pm PT today.

goomsnarr fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 10, 2024

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

psydude posted:

I went to a performance by the Ukrainian National Symphony and the Kharkhiv Opera the other night. After the finale, they all took the stage and sang the Ukrainian National anthem while holding a Ukrainian flag. There wasn't a single dry eye in the entire theatre.

We recently saw Madame Butterfly by the Ukrainian National Opera and they did the same. My goodness it was powerful. gently caress putin so hard.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Excerpt from prepared posture statement from the Commander of USEUCOM for a HASC hearing today. Yes, the USEUCOM point of view is also an opportunity to make their case to congress with regard to funding/emphasis, so someone could argue reading this alone without reading posture statements that are more directly concerned with competition in other theaters/domains is unfair, but seems worthwhile to read what is being said on the hill this week regarding Russian capability after 2+ years of conflict in Ukraine since the renewed invasion in February of 2022.

Video of full hearing here:
https://armedservices.house.gov/hearings/full-committee-hearing-us-military-posture-and-national-security-challenges-europe-0
Commander, USEUCOM prepared opening statement:
https://armedservices.house.gov/sites/republicans.armedservices.house.gov/files/USEUCOM%20GEN%20Cavoli%20CPS_HASC_2024.pdf

quote:

42 Russia remains a capable threat beyond Ukraine, and it’s necessary to examine what
43 has and has not happened to the Russian military in Ukraine. Russia poses the most stressing
44 nuclear, biological, and chemical threat in the near-term and will continue to retain WMD
45 capabilities in the medium and long term. First and foremost, Russia’s nuclear forces have been
46 unaffected by the conflict, and Russia retains the largest arsenal of deployed and non-deployed
47 nuclear weapons in the world. These continue to present an existential threat to the U.S.
48 homeland, our Allies, and our partners. Additionally, Russia continues to modernize its nuclear
49 forces, and continues to pursue efforts to develop nuclear-capable intercontinental ballistic
50 missile systems, nuclear-armed hypersonic boost glide vehicles, nuclear-powered cruise
UNCLASSIFIED
UNCLASSIFIED
51 missiles, nuclear-powered underwater drones, anti-satellite weapons, and orbital nuclear
52 weapons.
54 Moreover, during this conflict Russia’s strategic forces, long range aviation, cyber
55 capabilities, space capabilities, and capabilities in the electromagnetic spectrum have lost no
56 capacity at all. The air force has lost some aircraft, but only about 10% of their fleet. The navy
57 has suffered significantly in the Black Sea – but nowhere else and Russian naval activity
58 worldwide is at a significant peak. Russian long range precision fires have increased in
59 production, and Russia has also begun to buy ballistic missiles, cruise missiles, and long-range
60 drones from third countries who were previously outside this fight. In fact, it is mainly only in the
61 land forces that Russia has suffered, losing over 2,000 tanks and 315,000 soldiers wounded or
62 dead. However, Russia is reconstituting that force far faster than our initial estimates
63 suggested. The army is actually now larger – by 15 percent – than it was when it invaded
64 Ukraine. Over the past year, Russia increased its front line troop strength from 360,000 to
65 470,000. Russia’s army increased the upper age limit for conscription from 27 to 30, which
66 increases the pool of available military conscripts by 2 million for years to come. Russia has
67 announced plans to pursue an ambitious ground forces restructure, increasing to 1.5 million
68 personnel with an expanded footprint. This restructure includes plans to transform seven
69 motorized rifle brigades into divisions and a new army corps. Russia plans to base some of
70 these new formations in Russian-occupied areas of Ukraine, as well as Karelia in the High
71 North, opposite Finland. Perhaps most concerning, the Russian military in the past year has
72 shown an accelerating ability to learn and adapt to battlefield challenges both tactically and
73 technologically, and has become a learning organization that little resembles the chaotic force
74 that invaded Ukraine two years ago.
UNCLASSIFIED
UNCLASSIFIED
75 Russia continues to display a resilient economy and an ability to withstand sanctions
76 and export controls. Last year, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) forecasted a 2.1 percent
77 drop in Russia’s 2023 Gross Domestic Product (GDP). However, by the end of the year, the
78 IMF revised its estimate that Russia’s GDP increased by 3%, primarily due to heavy
79 investments in defense. Currently, the IMF outlook predicts Russia’s GDP will increase by 2.6%
80 in 2024. Russia is on track to spend 6 percent of its GDP on the military, with defense spending
81 exceeding social spending for the first time since the end of the Soviet Union. This defense
82 spending includes new manufacturing plants and factories for weapons production. Russia is
83 on track to produce or refurbish over 1,200 new main battle tanks a year, and to manufacture at
84 least 3 million artillery shells or rockets per year – over triple the amount the US estimated at the
85 beginning of the war – and more ammunition than all 32 NATO Allied combined. Moreover,
86 Russia has responded to international sanctions by adopting evasion and import substitution
87 strategies that have allowed it to overcome challenges in acquiring key components, including
88 microelectronics and machine tools. This has allowed Russia to continue to invest in high-end,
89 exquisite weapon systems to offset U.S. strategic advantages, several of which were
90 successfully tested this year.
91 In sum, Russia is on track to command the largest military on the continent and a
92 defense industrial complex capable of generating substantial amounts of ammunition and
93 materiel in support of large scale combat operations. Regardless of the outcome of the war in
94 Ukraine, Russia will be larger, more lethal, and angrier with the West than when it invaded.
95 Diplomatically, Russia has used the past two years to attempt to alter the global
96 security architecture by creating relationships that challenge the existing order. Russia, the
97 PRC, Iran, and DPRK are forming interlocking strategic partnerships across the world’s largest
98 landmass. This block of adversaries is more cohesive and dangerous than any threat the
99 United States has faced in decades. As of March 2024, the DPRK provided Russia with roughly
100 6,700 containers that could contain up to three million artillery shells. Iran has provided Russia
UNCLASSIFIED
UNCLASSIFIED
101 with drones, artillery, and missiles that have enhanced Russia’s lethality in Ukraine. Russia and
102 Iran have a billion-dollar weapons deal that includes domestic production of 6,000 drones by the
103 summer of 2025. The PRC provided Russia with nonlethal assistance ranging from drones to
104 computer chips, and increased its imports of Russian goods by 12% to $117.8 billion in the last
105 year. The PRC, Iran, and DPRK are sustaining Russia’s economy and enabling it to continue
106 its aggression in Ukraine. This new axis of adversaries will create strategic dilemmas within an
107 increasingly challenging international security environment.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

GD_American posted:

Back before he was a gropey Senator and was just a probably-gropey comedy writer, Al Franken specifically had a bit about a unit full of Republican chickenhawks being sent on a mission. It obviously did not go ell.

almost all of the allegations against franken were from his time as a comedian, many of them specifically from USO tours

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1778392918388019661

quote:

The European Parliament has refused to approve funding for the EU Council until Ukraine is provided with new #Patriots, MEP and former Belgian Prime Minister Guy Verhofstadt said.

Makes me proud to be a European.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How many governments are going to be paralyzed over Ukraine aid disputes? Just give them the loving weapons.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

How many governments are going to be paralyzed over Ukraine aid disputes? Just give them the loving weapons.

"We need those weapons here at home in case we need to hold off the three adult Russian men in uniform not currently fighting in Ukraine."

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Subjunctive posted:

Game recognize game. Even if they're not being straight up directly funded by some Russian money, authoritarian assholes around the globe have a pretty good sense of the way the winds are blowing when it comes to taking power. Keeping Russia in the game gives them a pretty solid boost to their playbook of flood the zone with poo poo, destabilize everything, seize any power you can.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Wild how two of the biggest go-tos for criticizing the US MIC, the Bradley and the Patriot, are now being urged to the front for their capabilities. I know both are bullshit, but even I at some point was poisoned by Pentagon Wars and Patriot bashing.* Not to say we haven't had grift and boondoggles, but it's just a wild turn to see the EU parliament refusing to fund itself unless they get Patriots to Ukraine.

*I have a friend who knows way more about Patriots than I do, and apparently they did have serious problems when they were first used (Including that "return to sender" problem we saw with Russian anti-air missiles), but that they got ironed out in later iterations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mlmp08 posted:

Excerpt from prepared posture statement from the Commander of USEUCOM for a HASC hearing today. Yes, the USEUCOM point of view is also an opportunity to make their case to congress with regard to funding/emphasis, so someone could argue reading this alone without reading posture statements that are more directly concerned with competition in other theaters/domains is unfair, but seems worthwhile to read what is being said on the hill this week regarding Russian capability after 2+ years of conflict in Ukraine since the renewed invasion in February of 2022.

Video of full hearing here:
https://armedservices.house.gov/hearings/full-committee-hearing-us-military-posture-and-national-security-challenges-europe-0
Commander, USEUCOM prepared opening statement:
https://armedservices.house.gov/sites/republicans.armedservices.house.gov/files/USEUCOM%20GEN%20Cavoli%20CPS_HASC_2024.pdf

This is completely off topic, but when the gently caress did "exquisite" become such a common buzzword for describing military tech? Granted, I'm just a reservist, but every brief I've read or been at in the last 10 months regarding R&D or S&T (which is all of them since my unit is with the Office of Naval Research) has that word plastered all over it.

What the gently caress does it even mean?!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

This is completely off topic, but when the gently caress did "exquisite" become such a common buzzword for describing military tech? Granted, I'm just a reservist, but every brief I've read or been at in the last 10 months regarding R&D or S&T (which is all of them since my unit is with the Office of Naval Research) has that word plastered all over it.

What the gently caress does it even mean?!

We use it to stand in for some piece of hardware that requires an extreme amount of precision and attention to detail in its design and manufacturing. Not something that can be commoditized.

So when I read

quote:

…that have allowed it to overcome challenges in acquiring key components, including
88 microelectronics and machine tools. This has allowed Russia to continue to invest in high-end,
89 exquisite weapon systems to offset U.S. strategic advantages, several of which were
90 successfully tested this year.

I interpret that as the sanctions and war have not disrupted Russias most leading edge R&D and highest performance weapons deployment. In this case probably hypersonics.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Pennsylvanian posted:

Wild how two of the biggest go-tos for criticizing the US MIC, the Bradley and the Patriot, are now being urged to the front for their capabilities. I know both are bullshit, but even I at some point was poisoned by Pentagon Wars and Patriot bashing.* Not to say we haven't had grift and boondoggles, but it's just a wild turn to see the EU parliament refusing to fund itself unless they get Patriots to Ukraine.

*I have a friend who knows way more about Patriots than I do, and apparently they did have serious problems when they were first used (Including that "return to sender" problem we saw with Russian anti-air missiles), but that they got ironed out in later iterations.

I mean, the M-16 had problems when it was first used, and went on to be wildly successful.

Honestly it seems to me just about every time I hear about such and such weapon being crap it turns out to be either untrue or teething problems that are quickly corrected.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hyperlynx posted:

I mean, the M-16 had problems when it was first used, and went on to be wildly successful.

Honestly it seems to me just about every time I hear about such and such weapon being crap it turns out to be either untrue or teething problems that are quickly corrected.

This is LCS erasure.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Hyperlynx posted:

Gun was fine from day 1, ammo and doctrine was crap.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Pennsylvanian posted:

What I think is the problem with the Bradley is that people kept thinking of it as the next APC after the M113, but it's an IFV. The average person doesn't understand that the APC and IFV are different categories of vehicles that look superficially similar and can do similar things, but are incompatible in their intended roles

E: see also: CAS planes

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

The Door Frame posted:

What I think is the problem with the Bradley is that people kept thinking of it as the next APC after the M113, but it's an IFV. The average person doesn't understand that the APC and IFV are different categories of vehicles that look superficially similar and can do similar things, but are incompatible in their intended roles

E: see also: CAS planes

The confusion is particularly understandable because the Bradley was the first US IFV

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Pennsylvanian posted:

Early early patriot did fine because its mission was originally purely versus aircraft.

It got a bad reputation from a rapid software update including handing people the new software disks and “how to” manuals as they got on planes to the middle east for desert shield/storm to add rudimentary counter-missile logic 30+ years ago.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

This is LCS erasure.

The independence class is probably going to turn out fine and in 10 years you’ll probably be able to add it to the list of systems that with time, money and effort turned out to be good. Although it may end up in direct competition with the constellations when they finally come online and may come off as not enough for the dollar cost in comparison. Then again the first couple of Connie’s are likely to need to serious refining.

The freedom class is probably destined to be quietly forgotten until some wargame in 20 or 30 years implements it based on the paper spec and a bunch of internet warriors start demanding it be resurrected.

Edit: The whole point of the LCS is to do a moderate threat mission in the Red Sea you maybe need 3 minesweepers, 4 air defense against light threats and 3 surface warfare ships against light attack boats so do you risk 25 billion worth of ships (and gimp your other more important missions like fleet defense) or 2 billion knowing that at least one is probably going to take a hit?

Murgos fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 13, 2024

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
If you're interested in the ramifications of Ukraine's strikes on oil facilities, this week's edition of The Economist has article summing it up

https://www.economist.com/finance-and-economics/2024/04/11/ukrainian-drone-strikes-are-hurting-russias-oil-industry

The Economist posted:

Selling more oil at higher prices ought to be the stuff of dreams for a petrostate. But for Russia it is a sign of a new, punishing phase in its war with Ukraine. Months of Ukrainian drone strikes on refineries have crimped Russia’s ability to produce refined fuels, such as diesel and petrol, and turned the world’s third-largest oil producer into an importer of petrol. Energy firms have tried to pare their losses by selling unrefined oil overseas, pushing exports to a ten-month high in March.

In Ukraine’s most recent attack on April 2nd, its planners extended their reach. They managed to land explosives on a refinery 1,115km from the border. Their attack set fire to a unit responsible for 3% of Russia’s refining capacity. Although it left no lasting damage, others have been more successful. All told, Ukraine’s barrage has knocked out a seventh of Russian refining capacity, according to s&p Global, a data firm. Maintenance work and flooding in the city of Orsk on April 8th has taken more capacity offline. Wholesale prices on the St Petersburg International Mercantile Exchange have spiked. Ukraine, which has itself been the target of strikes on energy infrastructure, hopes the assaults will slow the flow of dollars into its enemy’s war machine and dent support for the war.

Russia’s oil giants are suffering the most. Refineries that normally produce petrol and diesel for overseas clients at a premium have been diverted to domestic production. The volume of diesel due to pass out of Russian ports has hit a five-month low. At the same time, oil barons are seeking new customers for their excess crude, on which they will stomach losses of $15 or so for every barrel that could have been exported as a refined product, says Sergey Vakulenko, a former oil executive.

Although Ukraine’s attacks have slowed since Vladimir Putin’s re-election in March, Ukraine has given no indication that they will stop. It can lob drones faster and more cheaply than Russia can repair its refineries. Some facilities, like the norsi refinery in the city of Nizhny Novgorod, have been particularly slow and expensive to fix, in part because access to equipment is stymied by Western sanctions. As of this month, Russian oil producers must also reduce the amount they pump from the ground by about 5% as part of a production cap agreed with opec+, an oil cartel.

Motorists have so far been shielded from Ukraine-inflicted “unplanned maintenance” (as Russia’s energy ministry puts it). The government has kept a lid on prices by banning petrol exports for six months from March 1st, and striking a deal with Belarus, its client state. Russia imported 3,000 tonnes of fuel from Belarus in the first half of March, up from zero in January. Fearing that may not be enough, officials have also asked neighbouring Kazakhstan to set aside a third of its reserves, equivalent to 100,000 tonnes, should Russia need them, according to Reuters. If attacks continue, they could start to push up prices.

The consequences for Russia’s public finances should be limited, even though oil revenues represent 34% of its budget. Rosneft, the state oil company, will dispense a smaller dividend if it cannot make up its lost revenues, but many doubt these dividends make it to state coffers at all. The government will even save some cash by paying out fewer per-barrel subsidies to refineries. Russia’s biggest money-earners are resource taxes. And because these are levied as royalties at the well-head, the government is indifferent between oil exported as crude or as refined fuel, says Mr Vakulenko. As long as Russia is able to export crude, it can collect royalties.

Observers outside Russia are watching to see if Ukraine’s attacks will affect the global oil market. They have yet to have much impact, but the price of Brent crude has risen by 19% this year to just under $90 a barrel, owing to opec+ supply curbs, better-than-expected global economic conditions and disruptions in the Red Sea. Few observers have more at stake than Joe Biden, who faces an election in November. His administration has urged Ukraine to halt its attacks, fearing they will provoke tough retaliation from Russia and drive petrol prices higher. Ukraine’s leaders are willing to take the risk.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Murgos posted:

The independence class is probably going to turn out fine and in 10 years you’ll probably be able to add it to the list of systems that with time, money and effort turned out to be good. Although it may end up in direct competition with the constellations when they finally come online and may come off as not enough for the dollar cost in comparison. Then again the first couple of Connie’s are likely to need to serious refining.

The freedom class is probably destined to be quietly forgotten until some wargame in 20 or 30 years implements it based on the paper spec and a bunch of internet warriors start demanding it be resurrected.

Edit: The whole point of the LCS is to do a moderate threat mission in the Red Sea you maybe need 3 minesweepers, 4 air defense against light threats and 3 surface warfare ships against light attack boats so do you risk 25 billion worth of ships (and gimp your other more important missions like fleet defense) or 2 billion knowing that at least one is probably going to take a hit?

Ok, so 2 LCS then. they're about 600M a pop, an Arleigh Burke is more capable and only a little over 2x the cost. A Connie will ostensibly cost 1.4x an LCS (about a billion), and be way way more capable and survivable, as the problem with the LCS was if it takes a hit everyone's going in the drink, they were unsurvivable against everything but small arms.

LCS was not a good investment for its capability, and everyone continuously scratched their heads as to what the point of the vessels was.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
New systems almost always have detractors who focus on some aspect that the previous, fully mature system did better. The F-35 is worse than the F-18 is worse than the F-14 is worse than the F-4 is worse than the F-8 is worse than the F-86 is worse than the P-51 is worse than the P-47 is worse than, I dunno, throwing rocks or something. And then it turns out that they either fix the issues with the new system, or the capabilities the old system did better are no longer as relevant in modern combat. E.G. the A-10 being able to do sick gun runs, vice an F-35 or MQ-9 dropping a JDAM or hellfire into the driver's seat of a technical from 20,000 feet.

On the other hand, not every new system eventually gets straightened out, and some of them end up being turds that just can't be polished and the criticism is entirely valid. I think the LCS may eventually be brute-forced into being vaguely functional for certain mission sets, but I doubt it's ever going to be "good" overall. If they had stuck to the ostensible original purpose as a slightly heavier Coast Guard cutter that's never intended to be a front line combatant, it might have worked out, but it got saddled with a ton of feature creep that tried to shoehorn it into roles that it's just not suited for. Especially when it comes at a cost that's a significant portion of a more capable platform.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

orange juche posted:

Ok, so 2 LCS then. they're about 600M a pop, an Arleigh Burke is more capable and only a little over 2x the cost. A Connie will ostensibly cost 1.4x an LCS (about a billion), and be way way more capable and survivable, as the problem with the LCS was if it takes a hit everyone's going in the drink, they were unsurvivable against everything but small arms.

LCS was not a good investment for its capability, and everyone continuously scratched their heads as to what the point of the vessels was.

There is a scenario, that is actually happening now in the red sea, where you need A LOT of hulls. Period. You just need hulls because 1 Burke can't be in 5 places. And it's dangerous because it's relatively close to the shore. And because it's the Burkes picking up most of the work it's causing problems elsewhere with things that it would be better for the Burkes to do but they can't because they are in the red sea.

So, the LCS actually has a use case, that is actually happening right now and no one is scratching their heads about it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Everytime someone goes to bat for the LCS it boggles me because like...it's a fuckin boat made of metal in the salty ocean with no functional anti-corrosion system.

If that's not a full stop I don't know what is.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

yeah, *that* LCS is a good idea implemented very badly.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
There’s a lot of issues with the LCS, but the fundamental one is that it was a compromise do-everything system where the need for speed and small crewing ended up crowding out everything actually important. The result was a $500 million PT boat.

Unfortunately we’re seeing a similar trend happening with the Constellation-class, where we’ve taken a proven and affordable European design and then added so many changes that only about 15% of the original remains. This is after decades of similar gently caress-ups that the Constellation was intended to reset. The Navy just doesn’t know how to build or design ships anymore.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CainFortea posted:

Everytime someone goes to bat for the LCS it boggles me because like...it's a fuckin boat made of metal in the salty ocean with no functional anti-corrosion system.

If that's not a full stop I don't know what is.

New Jersey is in dry-dock for repairs, Navy should buy some of her lightly used anodes and slap em on.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kaal posted:

it was a compromise do-everything system

Fucks over every program that tries it but the pentagon just can't stop loving that chicken.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Murgos posted:

There is a scenario, that is actually happening now in the red sea, where you need A LOT of hulls. Period. You just need hulls because 1 Burke can't be in 5 places. And it's dangerous because it's relatively close to the shore. And because it's the Burkes picking up most of the work it's causing problems elsewhere with things that it would be better for the Burkes to do but they can't because they are in the red sea.

So, the LCS actually has a use case, that is actually happening right now and no one is scratching their heads about it.

What you mean is "the corvette class of ships has a use case" which is completely true. The LCS was a total garbage fire way to do it.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Murgos posted:

You need a lot of hulls that can do that mission. The LCS, either as originally conceived or as currently fielded, is not that ship. Wide area air defense against low cost UAVs and missiles is just a very difficult problem right now with the current state of technology and inventory. If anything, the LCS was supposed to free up DDGs in other areas so that they could be concentrated for that kind of thing.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Murgos posted:

There are use cases for corvettes. There are efficiently priced corvettes made by several countries that we could have adapted.

The LCS is a horridly overpriced, undercapable application for that use case.

edit- wwell, goddamnit beaten pretty much identically

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The current administration will probably need little encouragement to buy corvettes

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

canyoneer posted:

The current administration will probably need little encouragement to buy corvettes

I literally believe the Navy's absolute refusal to use the term for any ship it buys is 100% because of the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

canyoneer posted:

I think they're more interested in Trans Ams.