Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Midjack posted:

I think they're more interested in Trans Ams.

I doubt you could convince a Republican to authorize a Trans Anything these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

A.o.D. posted:

I doubt you could convince a Republican to authorize a Trans Anything these days.

I am chesty puller-ing for a Marine Trans Arms battalion, fuckin throw catgirls at the problem and find out

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

bloody ghost titty posted:

I am chesty puller-ing for a Marine Trans Arms battalion, fuckin throw catgirls at the problem and find out

Can't put your doggone hands in your doggone pockets if you're wearing a skirt

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

bloody ghost titty posted:

Semper Felis?

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

OddObserver posted:

Semper Felis?

Semper Felidae, Nyaa =^•^=

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Steezo posted:

Semper Felidae, Nyaa =^•^=

From the halls of Montezuwuma

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Stultus Maximus posted:

This is LCS erasure.

No thats Saltwater

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Kazinsal posted:

From the halls of Montezuwuma

pretty sure for it to scan it should be "From the halls of MontUwUma"

bonus:

quote:

From the Halls of MontUwUma
To the shores of Twipoli
We fight our countwy's battles
In the aiw, on nyand, and sea
First to fight for wight and fweedom
And to keep our honow clean;
We are proud to claim the title
Of United States Mawine :3

Quackles fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Apr 14, 2024

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Quackles posted:

pretty sure for it to scan it should be "From the halls of MontUwUma"

bonus:

Twipowi

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1780141790273704045

There aren't a lot of uplifting news out of Ukraine for the time being, but what the gently caress did the Russians build here? Did they drive a tank through a barn and the barn stuck on?

Content: One of the wierdest-looking improvised vehicles I've ever seen.

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/31192

Content: Ukraine blows up a big Russian radar complex.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Interviews with Russian tankers have them say that indirect fire is often their primary task. I wonder how much of the artillery shell output difference is from that?

EDIT: Irt weird tank:

quote:

TLDR: One T-72 was hit in turret base and lost turning mechanism. It was considered beyond repair, but since everything else was working fine including gun, they turned it into this makeshift SPG.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 16, 2024

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

PurpleXVI posted:

There aren't a lot of uplifting news out of Ukraine for the time being, but what the gently caress did the Russians build here? Did they drive a tank through a barn and the barn stuck on?

We've been seeing a lot of WWI problems this war, so they're looking for WWI solutions

From the "official" snippets I've gotten about them, the stated purpose of the turtle tanks is to carry infantry, but Russia should still have a mountain of decent IFV's, so I don't buy it as anything other than paranoid drone protection. Spaced armor isn't the worst idea for dealing with top attacks, but they've traded their cope cages in for an entire cope house

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

We've been seeing a lot of WWI problems this war, so they're looking for WWI solutions

From the "official" snippets I've gotten about them, the stated purpose of the turtle tanks is to carry infantry, but Russia should still have a mountain of decent IFV's, so I don't buy it as anything other than paranoid drone protection. Spaced armor isn't the worst idea for dealing with top attacks, but they've traded their cope cages in for an entire cope house

Yes but it appears that they've left the back door open (unless there's a rear wall under the roof?)

I wonder how the turtleshell affects the tank's mobility? Can't do much with turret rotation there, unless all that nonsense rotates with it?

I guess the EW suite on top could be an issue for drones, but the last one got geolocated and shelled with actual artillery, which doesn't care.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

It looks like it's just regular sheet metal for a barn roof so i imagine it doesnt do much to impact mobility unless you're trying to move through trees and the like

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Lord Awkward posted:

Yes but it appears that they've left the back door open (unless there's a rear wall under the roof?)

I wonder how the turtleshell affects the tank's mobility? Can't do much with turret rotation there, unless all that nonsense rotates with it?

I guess the EW suite on top could be an issue for drones, but the last one got geolocated and shelled with actual artillery, which doesn't care.

There's no chimney, so maybe they need it both sides open enough for engine ventilation?
So I guess a cope sun tent, then

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

:killdozer:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

PurpleXVI posted:

Learning from the 20th century's greatest tactician, Bugs Bunny

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

Spaced armor isn't the worst idea for dealing with top attacks, but they've traded their cope cages in for an entire cope house

A cope cabana, if you will.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Baba Yaga has entered the battlefield.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

If congress does somehow pass that 60 billion senate package, would it make much difference in resisting Russia's pending summer offensive? The news seems to be hinting that when Russia starts that offensive its likely it might take serious ground and potentially turn the tide of the war in their favor. But I'm assuming that funding bill would release some high tech goodies that might stop this?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

It isn’t high tech goodies missing, but large amounts of dumb shells missing.

Also no one knows how successful or not any Russian offensive could be. It’s just clear that Ukraine will be more successful with having lots of stuff in comparison to not having lots of stuff.

Russia hasn’t been taken lots of ground since the offensive on Sievierodonetsk and Lysychansk in 2022. Everything since then has been a slog for each meter advanced.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Kraftwerk posted:

If congress does somehow pass that 60 billion senate package, would it make much difference in resisting Russia's pending summer offensive? The news seems to be hinting that when Russia starts that offensive its likely it might take serious ground and potentially turn the tide of the war in their favor. But I'm assuming that funding bill would release some high tech goodies that might stop this?

I think the biggest reveal/gamechanger in terms of wunderwaffen would be that with the PRSM online, the US has now declared a willingness to send ATACMS to Ukraine which would broaden their supply of precision long-range boom for hitting ammo depots, troop gathering spots, supply lines, the Kerch Bridge eventually, etc. which could worsen the constantly-reported Russian supply issues. Wiping out vehicles before they bring their infantry near the front lines would also make a big difference since there's a lot of ground to cover, and someone who's been walking for a week instead of driving for a day is going to need more supplies to make that trip and is going to be more worn out when they get there.

Aside from shells, I think the biggest, most immediate game changer would be fresh missiles for the Patriot batteries, and more Patriot batteries, since Ukraine is reportedly running direly low on them, which is why Russia had such good luck blowing up Ukrainian power plants recently.

I do not expect the package to get passed, though, the Republicans will pull out every procedural trick to keep it at bay until their boy can stop it for good, assuming it would even get a majority should it come to a vote.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

PurpleXVI posted:

I do not expect the package to get passed, though, the Republicans will pull out every procedural trick to keep it at bay until their boy can stop it for good, assuming it would even get a majority should it come to a vote.

You think Trump will win the election?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Kraftwerk posted:

You think Trump will win the election?

I think after the past six years, most folks are just leery about saying he won't. The poo poo thing about authoritarians is that this plays right into his hand-- a big part of coming to power is in convincing people of their inevitability because they are strong but in reality at this stage they have only the power the electorate can be fooled into granting them.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4597636-democrats-johnson-ukraine-strategy/

quote:

Dem leaders embrace Johnson’s Ukraine strategy, but want policy details

House Democratic leaders said Tuesday that they’re ready to embrace Speaker Mike Johnson’s (R-La.) strategy of splitting an emergency foreign aid package into targeted pieces, but first want assurances that all the components of a Senate-passed bill are a part of the deal.

The Democrats have, for weeks, pushed Johnson to bring a vote on the $95 billion Senate package, which combines military aid to Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan with humanitarian assistance for Gaza and other global hotspots.

But this week, after Johnson announced his plan to vote on those four provisions separately, Democratic leaders said they’re ready to get on board — if all the major elements of the Senate package are included.

So the Reps are absolutely just going to vote for the Israel and maybe Taiwan assistance, and let the remaining two rot, right? There's absolutely no way they're going to honour any deal of this kind, and if they were, there'd be no reason to split it up like this.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

PurpleXVI posted:

So the Reps are absolutely just going to vote for the Israel and maybe Taiwan assistance, and let the remaining two rot, right? There's absolutely no way they're going to honour any deal of this kind, and if they were, there'd be no reason to split it up like this.

Its so they can fund Israel and not Ukraine

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I feel like if it makes it to the floor it'll pass. The whole game so far is keeping it from getting to that point.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

PurpleXVI posted:

My understanding is Johnson is in a tight spot right now due to republican infighting and if he fucks the dems over on this they can pull support from him and theres a non-zero chance he gets ousted.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Fearless posted:

I think after the past six years, most folks are just leery about saying he won't. The poo poo thing about authoritarians is that this plays right into his hand-- a big part of coming to power is in convincing people of their inevitability because they are strong but in reality at this stage they have only the power the electorate can be fooled into granting them.

A big part of that was all the people in 2015 asserting with complete certainty he could never win. Politics that are left of attila the hun have taken a savage beating across most of the planet in the past decade with coordinated pushback barely starting.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Telsa Cola posted:

My understanding is Johnson is in a tight spot right now due to republican infighting and if he fucks the dems over on this they can pull support from him and theres a non-zero chance he gets ousted.

I don’t understand why he even wants to keep that job, tbh. What is he getting out of it?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

orange juche posted:

Ok, so 2 LCS then. they're about 600M a pop, an Arleigh Burke is more capable and only a little over 2x the cost. A Connie will ostensibly cost 1.4x an LCS (about a billion), and be way way more capable and survivable, as the problem with the LCS was if it takes a hit everyone's going in the drink, they were unsurvivable against everything but small arms.

LCS was not a good investment for its capability, and everyone continuously scratched their heads as to what the point of the vessels was.

Works project to keep the yards open is the only good way to look the project.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

Wouldn't that just paralyze that section of government for longer and absolutely play into the hands of anyone who wants Ukraine to not get that money? I seem to remember it took a good while to get a new speaker last time, and gently caress all was getting done in the interum.

Subjunctive posted:

I don’t understand why he even wants to keep that job, tbh. What is he getting out of it?

At a glance, being the Speaker gets you a cool $200k annually on top of the pay for being a member of the House. Someone would have to have a fat load of grift and bribes going on for that to not be a meaningful amount.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PurpleXVI posted:

At a glance, being the Speaker gets you a cool $200k annually on top of the pay for being a member of the House. Someone would have to have a fat load of grift and bribes going on for that to not be a meaningful amount.

Oh, well that does make sense then.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Crab Dad posted:

Works project to keep the yards open is the only good way to look the project.

To be fair that's a pretty important upside even if there could've been better ways to do it.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

PurpleXVI posted:

Wouldn't that just paralyze that section of government for longer and absolutely play into the hands of anyone who wants Ukraine to not get that money? I seem to remember it took a good while to get a new speaker last time, and gently caress all was getting done in the interum.

Maybe? It really could go either way by galvanizing his supporters and dems to give a big ol middle finger to the other faction, and it's a stupidly risky thing to do during an election year.

It's not a sure fire thing either way and last time it happened the person ousted got to pick his temporary replacement.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

If you’re speaker you control what comes to the floor and how, every major corporation and billionaire is just begging to invite you to their fundraiser to shove money in your pockets while toasting you with the finest champagne and caviar to get their agenda advanced.

Every national news show wants to get your hot take.

Speaker is a whole different banana than just congressman.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

PurpleXVI posted:

Didn't Johnsons financial disclosures make him out to be basically poor as a church mouse?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

cult_hero posted:

Didn't Johnsons financial disclosures make him out to be basically poor as a church mouse?

No. He lied his rear end off and somehow got away with saying he doesnt have a loving bank account.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

Kraftwerk posted:

Do not expect the next Russian offensive to look much different than the previous one. It is still very diffilcult to mass enough force close enough to the line to break the defending side, and expect more of these small and localized pushes over a wide area. If the Russians do happen to breakthrough, it is because the Ukrainians are actually critically low on stand off weapons, at which point the US and its NATO partners have failed them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Possible ATACMS strike on Dzhankoi airbase. Images claim an S-400 destroyed, but unsure from image if it includes radar.