Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Dandywalken posted:

Possible ATACMS strike on Dzhankoi airbase. Images claim an S-400 destroyed, but unsure from image if it includes radar.

https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1780569114630598791

quote:

The Telegram channel of the "ZSU-War" released a picture of a destroyed Russian S-400 air defense unit.

The channel reports that the first wave of missiles destroyed the S-400 position. In detail, 3 launcher and the radar unit was destroyed, leaving the base defenseless against further missiles.

The 2nd wave destroyed the repair and maintenance hub of that airbase. Secondary explosions did their part in further compromising the Russian base in the occupied peninsula. No information regarding the status of the choppers in that base, yet.

Satellite pics should deliver the final confirmation of the extent of the destruction, which must be huge judging from the videos we have seen so far.

Content: Has a picture of the utterly vaporized S-400 battery.

https://www.kyivpost.com/analysis/31255

quote:

ANALYSIS: Ukrainian Long-Range Missile Strike Hammers Russian Airfield in Crimea, Maybe ATACMS

The independent Russian news agency Astra reported Ukrainian ballistic missiles targeted military equipment, pilots, bombers and attack helicopters. A probable hit or hits to a munitions depot set off fires with secondary explosions still in progress five hours after the attack, the report said.

According to open sources, Washington turned over between 12 and 20 of the powerful weapons designed to wipe out airfields in October. Ukraine is believed to have launched most if not all of the missiles from that delivery to hit a pair of Russian airfields on Oct. 17 destroying between 9 and 15 attack helicopters and ground infrastructure.

I think it's just as plausible that this is Russian copium seeing the perfidious hand of the Americans/NATO behind everything, and refusing to accept that the Ukrainians can deal telling blows on their own. They've done a lot of good work with domestic missiles and drones so far, and they've absolutely reached out and touched Crimea before, so it's not implausible. It's been an utter drought of US support for Ukraine for a long while now, so those 20 missiles are likely spent by now unless the Ukranians held a handful back for some truly glorious target of opportunity.

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1780581885552255037

quote:

In the Russian city of #Kurgan, the water level has exceeded the dangerous mark, rising 18 centimeters in two hours, Russian media reported.

The city's population exceeds 300 thousand people. The local government has called for immediate evacuation.

Content: A short video of the flooding, showing submerged homes.

The Russians really are incredibly docile considering that they seem to be accepting these floodings and other natural disasters with a bit of griping, but no real attempt to shake the foundations of power or bring anyone to account.

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/31264

quote:

Ukrainian Drones Destroy Radio Communication Center 680 km Inside Russia

The target of the drone strike in Mordovia was a two-coordinate over-the-horizon radar 29B6 “Container” with a target detection range of about 3,000 kilometers (1,865 miles) and a detection height of more than 100 kilometers (62 miles).

The consequences of the attack are still being clarified, the source said.

The 29B6 Container radar is part of the air and space attack reconnaissance and warning system. The first model of this radar was built by the Russians in Kovylkino in Mordovia between 2000-2002.

I presume this sort of radar would be real handy to have functional if you wanted to track drones coming in from another country to blow your men and materiel sky high. Would be a real shame if it got hosed up by this attack. A real shame.

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1780603681752412208

quote:

Stoltenberg called on NATO countries to supply weapons to Ukraine instead of spending 2% of GDP on defense.

"If allies are faced with a choice between meeting NATO's defense spending targets and giving Ukraine more aid, my signal is clear: send more to Ukraine," he said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What was the proximate cause of the flooding? Did some infrastructure fail? Climate change? Russia blew up a dam? Ukraine blew up a dam?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Subjunctive posted:

What was the proximate cause of the flooding? Did some infrastructure fail? Climate change? Russia blew up a dam? Ukraine blew up a dam?

Ukraine trained legions of beavers to build a dam downriver of the city.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Orsk dam Collapse due to torrential rain, only built in 2010... probably paid for a good few dachas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orsk_Dam_collapse

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
https://www.kyivpost.com/post/31253

quote:

FACT CHECK: Russian Propaganda Tries to Pass Off Udmurtian Insignia as Belonging to ‘Canadian Mercenaries’

Content: Russians loot the corpse of one of their own soldiers, mistake the insignia of one of their own oblasts for a Canadian flag.

https://twitter.com/KareemRifai/status/1780754606944891242

quote:

Marjorie Taylor-Greene's amendments to the foreign aid bills:

1. Members who vote for Ukraine aid must conscript in the Ukrainian Army

2. Israel aid will be used for the development of "space laser technology" on the Southern border

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1780876498620026957

quote:

25th Airborne Brigade section commander "Grozny": "With an army like that, if done smartly, they could conquer the whole world. But they're morons".

The commander talks about repulsing enemy attacks in the Avdiivka direction. it is not clear to him what is the need to send so many people into senseless attacks, and what motivates them to continue going forward.

Content: Video interview with Ukrainian soldiers interspersed with footage of Russian vehicles being destroyed or about to be struck by FPV munitions. I didn't spot any death or injury to people besides that implied in a crewed vehicle getting hit.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Gordy the politeness C-7 gunner.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Jewish space lasers, indeed!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Shaddak posted:

Jewish space lasers, indeed!

I detest this poo poo. It's the same as Ted Cruz making Acapulco jokes. These assholes learn the opposite lesson of what they're supposed to. Public shame for lovely behavior is supposed to curb lovely behavior, but because these people are so loving terrible they lean into it.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
This is what happens when a party decides that their platform is basically just "mob rule"

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

The Russians really are incredibly docile considering that they seem to be accepting these floodings and other natural disasters with a bit of griping, but no real attempt to shake the foundations of power or bring anyone to account.

The same can be said of anyone in the west really. Swap "Russians" with "humanity" and you have a post for the climate change threads. As for more comparisons the US has states and counties that repeatedly suffer from both natural and manmade disasters rooted in terrible and corrupt governance, yet don't even vote for the other candidates in an effort to "shake the foundations of power or bring anyone to account". Russians don't even have the luxury of voting to possibly affect gradual change.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

PurpleXVI posted:

Content: Russians loot the corpse of one of their own soldiers, mistake the insignia of one of their own oblasts for a Canadian flag.

https://twitter.com/KareemRifai/status/1780754606944891242

She's so dumb she doesn't even know what the word 'conscript' means. You can be conscripted or you can be a conscript, but you can't conscript yourself, because that's called volunteering.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1780952879651577881

quote:

Denmark has decided to purchase $28.5 million worth of weapons from Ukrainian manufacturers intended for the Ukrainian Armed Forces.

"This is the first such decision in history, which is expected to become a precedent for other countries. Ukraine has been urgently asking its partners for such a step in recent months," Oleksandr Kamyshyn, Minister of Strategic Industries said.

Aside from just wanting to repost something that stokes my national pride, I think it's the first time I've seen a country do this, and I think it's a pretty solid approach if the end stage is for Ukraine to be able to guard itself independently, rather than being reliant on external arms supplies.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

The Door Frame posted:

This is what happens when a party decides that their platform is basically just "mob rule"

bbbut I was told the US was a republic, not a "democracy", to prevent this very thing

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Denmark has decided to purchase $28.5 million worth of weapons from Ukrainian manufacturers intended for the Ukrainian Armed Forces.
That's just earmarked financial aid, right?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Herman Merman posted:

That's just earmarked financial aid, right?

Sure, but it's specifically tailored to not only provide Ukraine arms, but also stimulate manufacturing, tooling, facilities, and skilled trades.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Herman Merman posted:

bbbut I was told the US was a republic, not a "democracy", to prevent this very thing

The US Founders didn’t foresee or expect the rise of political parties, and so didn’t really put any guardrails regarding them in the Constitution etc.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Quackles posted:

The US Founders didn’t foresee or expect the rise of political parties, and so didn’t really put any guardrails regarding them in the Constitution etc.

What could you even do about them, though? You could ban them as formal structures, but then they'd just arise as informal agreements once more than two people decided they agreed 99% of the time and wanted to pool their resources and influence towards it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

New speaker soon

https://x.com/JakeSherman/status/1780934341092057530

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

huh, not bad

RIP his speakership though, yeah

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Can they vote him out before he brings the aid bills to the floor?

Also what’s stopping the democrats from voting to keep him as speaker with “moderate” republicans thus preventing his ouster?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Kraftwerk posted:

Also what’s stopping the democrats from voting to keep him as speaker with “moderate” republicans thus preventing his ouster?

Nothing.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

huh, not bad

RIP his speakership though, yeah

I suspect the Dems have promised to bail him out.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

GD_American posted:

I detest this poo poo. It's the same as Ted Cruz making Acapulco jokes. These assholes learn the opposite lesson of what they're supposed to. Public shame for lovely behavior is supposed to curb lovely behavior, but because these people are so loving terrible they lean into it.

Well, it's also adversarial flood-the-zone bullshit. I regard almost everything she does as finely calibrated to piss me off by being stupid in every possible way. The conscription thing is obviously impossible in a multitude of different ways and it's like a red flag in front of a bull to me every time - but any energy I spend being pissed off at the stupid impossible amendment is wasted.

That said, it's much easier to generate stupid impossible amendments than to sit through 600 of them patiently voting "no" on them all, so I'd really like to see some way to land consequences on these fuckers for wasting everybody's time.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, the Dems control Johnson now and I couldn’t be happier for him tbh. But I think more Republicans will want to coddle the crazy bunch more as the election nears, and he’ll lose out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, the Dems control Johnson now and I couldn’t be happier for him tbh. But I think more Republicans will want to coddle the crazy bunch more as the election nears, and he’ll lose out.

Again the problem being they've lost the votes needed to make that threat stick, since a new speaker will need Dem votes to seat.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CommieGIR posted:

a new speaker will need Dem votes to seat.

lol I didn't realize it had shifted over far enough

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

PurpleXVI posted:

What could you even do about them, though? You could ban them as formal structures, but then they'd just arise as informal agreements once more than two people decided they agreed 99% of the time and wanted to pool their resources and influence towards it.

Yeah, but how do the parties enforce discipline on their members? The obvious one in modern parties is the expense and difficulty in running campaigns: you can go rogue but you have to have independent fundraising power and millions of dollars of it to contest a primary each year and then the general after, so just for the sake of argument say it's 2-3x more difficult to fundraise. You could mandate public finance and other spending reforms, you could have RCV/instant runoff, you could even shrink the size of districts dramatically to make it easier to run on the cheap. And outside the individual members, a lot of the party line comes from the current need for a trifecta to do anything, but you could tweak that, maybe by making veto overrides easier so a 55% congress can govern over the president, etc.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Fptp voting makes 2 large powerful parties an inevitable consequence of game theory. Changing voting methods woule change the structure correspondingly.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CommieGIR posted:

Again the problem being they've lost the votes needed to make that threat stick, since a new speaker will need Dem votes to seat.

Oh yeah!

Huh, a good thing? Happening?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tunicate posted:

Fptp voting makes 2 large powerful parties an inevitable consequence of game theory. Changing voting methods woule change the structure correspondingly.

It's not inevitable, rather it's the local maximum that's least dysfunctional.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

That Works posted:

lol I didn't realize it had shifted over far enough

A bunch resigned/retired, so yeah it's a thin rear end margin for the GOP right now

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Tunicate posted:

I mean this is true, but it would simply result in more parties, not the non-existence of parties.

I guess those Russian checks stopped clearing or someone on the Dem side found some blackmail scarier than needing to stay away from windows for a couple of years.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

OddObserver posted:

It's not inevitable, rather it's the local maximum that's least dysfunctional.

With FPTP and simple majority being enough, it more or less is.

The third party will always take more candidates from one than the other competitor, meaning that the one who loses less always wins. So the only way to win anything is for the two smaller parties to merge. When duopoly is achieved, if either of them splits then the survivor from duopoly wins every time. If you have more parties than 3, then the only winning move for minor parties is to form a coalition, which reduces towards two main coalitions, which is basically the same thing. 3rd party candidates can win on some scenarios some seats, but it usually also means that both major parties failed spectacularly in that election.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

PurpleXVI posted:

I guess those Russian checks stopped clearing or someone on the Dem side found some blackmail scarier than needing to stay away from windows for a couple of years.

Johnson used to bow down to the party fringe because the slim majority and 1-candidate recall petition meant that if he proposed something Gaetz didn't like, he would have immediately lost his position, and the vote wasn't going to happen anyway.

Now Gaetz isn't going to recall him, because the majority got even slimmer to the point where if Johnson is recalled, the republicans can no longer seat a speaker without democrat assistance.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Does that just paralyze everything, then? With no speaker?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Subjunctive posted:

Working as designed.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

in a well actually posted:

Working as designed.

Greatest country on earth, praise be.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

if there is no speaker, the only business before the House is electing a speaker.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

GD_American posted:

You can't shame a reactionary, especially when they're about (perceived) strength vs weakness, not moral vs immoral. Upper middle class reactionary shitheads are giggling whenever other people get pissed at chud politicians inflicting and/or getting off on others suffering. Public outrage from Owned Libs is a sign they're winning, to their base. If the public tried to shame you and failed, it proves you're stronger than the public. You need to call them pathetic weaklings, not evil (they're both but lean into the former).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

PurpleXVI posted:

Dick Cheney sitting in a creaking rocking chair at the end of his bed in the middle of the night, sharpening a knife, talking about all the potential money him and his friends in the defense industry are currently missing out on.