Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

She's so dumb she doesn't even know what the word 'conscript' means. You can be conscripted or you can be a conscript, but you can't conscript yourself, because that's called volunteering.

stop conscripting yourself
stop conscripting yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://x.com/RALee85/status/1779746557601939587

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 19, 2024

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Does that make them dragoons?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

PurpleXVI posted:

I mean this is true, but it would simply result in more parties, not the non-existence of parties.

True, but acknowledging that parties will happen does at least let you build in some harm reduction. If you're worried about two-party polarisation, a proportional system that leads to multiple parties will trade those problems for other ones. If you're worried about politicized appointments to positions meant to be outside the daily grind of politics, e.g. the supreme court, then you can make the appearance of favoring a party a fireable offense, and maybe faff around with multiparty committees and such.

Of course, the other way to avoid a two-party system is to just have one party. :china:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

PurpleXVI posted:

I guess those Russian checks stopped clearing or someone on the Dem side found some blackmail scarier than needing to stay away from windows for a couple of years.

The Russians aren't going to assassinate a member of Congress. Let's not get carried away in imagining their influence.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Greatest country on earth, praise be.

Didn’t Belgium not have a government for like 2 years some time ago?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Didn’t Belgium not have a government for like 2 years some time ago?

They have multiple regional governments that can perform much of the actual governance in practice, so they are not an ideal comparison.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1781227417404600676

Content: Video of Tu-22 dropping out of the sky on fire.

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1781223014278877458

quote:

Ukrainian HUR reveals additional details of the Tu-22M strategic bomber takedown that occurred over Russia last night.

Russian sources quickly attempted to claim that the plane fell due to technical issues but this was rebuked by HUR.

Here in the video, the command point of the unit which shot down the plane is shown.

It is said that HUR used some unknown weapon that was also employed to destroy a A-50 radar detection and control aircraft earlier.

Russians, of course, saying it was just a "technical fault" that killed their very expensive, comparatively rare, plane. I'm going to be extremely curious about what took it down since my understanding is they usually stay pretty far over Russian air space, launch cruise missiles, then turn back to base. At a glance, the Patriot or other Western AA they've been provided shouldn't have anywhere near the range to hit it, so either they got used as a testbed for some juicy experimental tech or they made a domestic solution.

Either way, I wonder if this makes the Russians a bit more careful about sending them into the sky.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Comedy option would be Ukraine actually making good on all those weird russian concept videos and just sneaking a civilian truck with an intermodal container deep into russian territory, and then have it unpack into a disposable AA launcher once parked underneath bombers' usual flight path.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I love that Russia would rather look like bumbling idiots than let Ukraine claim a kill on anything. If all of their aircraft keep falling apart on their own and ships spontaneously combust, who would want to buy anything from them?

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

The Door Frame posted:

I love that Russia would rather look like bumbling idiots than let Ukraine claim a kill on anything. If all of their aircraft keep falling apart on their own and ships spontaneously combust, who would want to buy anything from them?
Lol at Russia, they don't win on that front whether they claim that their weapons hosed up, or whether they got destroyed by an enemy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

PurpleXVI posted:

Russians, of course, saying it was just a "technical fault" that killed their very expensive, comparatively rare, plane. I'm going to be extremely curious about what took it down since my understanding is they usually stay pretty far over Russian air space, launch cruise missiles, then turn back to base. At a glance, the Patriot or other Western AA they've been provided shouldn't have anywhere near the range to hit it, so either they got used as a testbed for some juicy experimental tech or they made a domestic solution.

A system that can shoot down planes at a range of over 500 kilometers would be an insane achievement, something the widely over-used term 'game changer' would actually be appropriate.

And even if it was an accident, sabotage or friendly fire, Ukraine should claim this as they did to make the Russians worry about this and have to adapt their attacks to deal with the possibility.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

MAYBE crashing after damage, but yeah that range is way too far for anything I can think of

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

Either way, I wonder if this makes the Russians a bit more careful about sending them into the sky.

I hope it backfires on them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dandywalken posted:

MAYBE crashing after damage, but yeah that range is way too far for anything I can think of

Specifically looks like an engine hit, and unless the engine spontaneously exploded (which it could being Russian and lacking maintenance), that reeks of a missile hit, especially as the whole vertical stabilizer appears to be gone.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 19, 2024

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Gervasius posted:

Ukraine having a blinder right now

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Gervasius posted:

Ooof, that's going to be a bear to replace.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

Ooof, that's going to be a bear to replace.

It might backfire on them

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
All these callsign jokes are starting to flounder

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
There’s no way a TU-22M would be down in manpads range when launching cruise missiles right?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
These puns all Sukhoi

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Rust Martialis posted:

These puns all Sukhoi

I think they're more Tupo, Lev.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rust Martialis posted:

These puns all Sukhoi

It's all just innocent hokum, no need to be An-22 about it.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

OddObserver posted:

I think they're more Tupo, Lev.

Lev er ikke MIG, skat.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Gervasius posted:

It's all just innocent hokum, no need to be An-22 about it.

It’s a good thing we’ve all progressed to having reasonable discourse, as years ago, everyone would be calling each other MiG-15 over this.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Rust Martialis posted:

These puns all Sukhoi

Quit badgering people who are just trying to have a little fun.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Let's just *avoid* the MiG-15 here

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Amongst all the yakking, I'm legit curious what bagged that plane.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

fartknocker posted:

It’s a good thing we’ve all progressed to having reasonable discourse, as years ago, everyone would be calling each other MiG-15 over this.

Whoop whoop PULL UP

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

McNally posted:

Whoop whoop PULL UP

Oh, quit bitchin Betty.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
I felt a tingle in my dirtbag rear end in a top hat senses, someone about to use slurs?

Or is it gonna rain later? It's not the most precise sense.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I felt a tingle in my dirtbag rear end in a top hat senses, someone about to use slurs?

Or is it gonna rain later? It's not the most precise sense.

MiG 15 NATO reporting name is Fagot. Which comes from the French for “bassoon” but…

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

McNally posted:

Whoop whoop PULL UP

I surprised you didn't fargo the warning.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Stultus Maximus posted:

MiG 15 NATO reporting name is Fagot. Which comes from the French for “bassoon” but…

Oh I know my NATO reporting names.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Y'all are a bunch of fiddlers.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Does that make them dragoons?

I feel this needs an answer.

Also, jokes aside, that's a pragmatic play for a group with such a poo poo shelf life

Resplendentoops
Dec 24, 2002

A man, a plan, a canal, Nicaragua!

Cythereal posted:

Amongst all the yakking, I'm legit curious what bagged that plane.

Ukraine claims it was similar to the A-50 shootdown scenario. They say they hit it with an S-200 when it was roughly 300km from Ukraine and it turned around and subsequently crashed in Russia trying to make it back to base.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

There are reports that Russell "Texas" Bentley has been found dead in Donetsk, sans head.

How the gently caress that moron survived so long is beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

madeintaipei posted:

There are reports that Russell "Texas" Bentley has been found dead in Donetsk, sans head.

How the gently caress that moron survived so long is beyond me.

Oh, no!

Anyway.