Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

madeintaipei posted:

There are reports that Russell "Texas" Bentley has been found dead in Donetsk, sans head.

How the gently caress that moron survived so long is beyond me.

Too bad, so sad. :ukraine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
He'll never be the head of a major invasion.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Can confirm, raider trikes are terrible. Give me a quad any day.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Does that make them dragoons?

Unless they have one or both eyes of Nidhog I don't think so.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

madeintaipei posted:

There are reports that Russell "Texas" Bentley has been found dead in Donetsk, sans head.

If Tim pool can go years without a brain there’s no excuse for Russell

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1781588438304641209

quote:

Russian servicemen complaining about the quality of old and rusted 152 mm shells they receive.

Content: Russian guys complaining about rusty shells while hitting them with mallets.

madeintaipei posted:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1781593194070683871

quote:

Russian "reporter" reveals details of the murder of Russel "Texas" Bentley, an American defector who's been in the so-called "DPR" since 2014.

After successful shelling by Ukrainian Defence Forces of a facility housing the 5th Tank Brigade in Donetsk on 8 April, Bentley who was 64 at the time of his death arrived at the scene and was apprehended, kidnapped, and murdered on suspicion of espionage by disgruntled Russian servicemen.

They most likely were angry at his accent and thought he was a spy. The search for Bentley lasted over a week with many bloggers asking for any information on his whereabouts.

Content: Translated Russian social media post about the murder.

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1781584838186647556

quote:

Around 50 unidentified drones attacked various facilities across Russia overnight. In Smolensk Oblast, an explosion at a facility was recorded, particularly at the Kardymovo oil depot, which belongs to the LUKOIL-Tsentrnefteprodukt syndicate, leading to a powerful fire in two locations.

Content: Video of the fire.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1781593194070683871

Content: Translated Russian social media post about the murder.

Reading that translation, sure, it takes the murder of one crazy American to convince this guy that you know what, maybe invading Ukraine isn't worth it after all, maybe our hands aren't actually clean after all. Nevermind everything else, THIS is the breaking point here.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Tomn posted:

Reading that translation, sure, it takes the murder of one crazy American to convince this guy that you know what, maybe invading Ukraine isn't worth it after all, maybe our hands aren't actually clean after all. Nevermind everything else, THIS is the breaking point here.

The straw that broke the camel's blyat

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lord Awkward posted:

Heh

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Lord Awkward posted:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
As always, things aren't real until they happen to an American

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

I'm sure joining this apprehending, kidnapping, murdering occupational force will not do any of those things to me.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I would like to ask these wannabe communists why they support Russia. Shouldn't Russia be viewed as the greatest traitor to the communist cause? Go support Cuba or something.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'd argue the title of greatest traitor of the communist cause would lie with China.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Another promising career in US politics tragically cut short before it truly began.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Well, the bill passed the House. Now to cross our fingers and hope nothing gets hosed up in the Senate.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Unlikely. It's almost the exact same bill they voted for already, just broken up into 4 different individual bills. I haven't looked into it in detail, but there's been no indication so far that it will have trouble passing.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
A lot of civilian (and thus military since they to a large degree rely on using it) cell phone and telecoms infrastructure seems to have been hit in the Kherson area. Not a total blackout by any means, but severe degradation.
Probably something going on round there, or maybe a way to track which areas show the most activity through the degradation for future strikes, is a theory I've heard kicked around.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Saukkis posted:

I would like to ask these wannabe communists why they support Russia. Shouldn't Russia be viewed as the greatest traitor to the communist cause? Go support Cuba or something.
Eh, don't give them the credit of believing their lies. They couldn't even begin to give a coherent definition of words like communism and don't give a sideways flying gently caress about any of it.

They know authoritarian, corrupt governments like Russia would let them attack and repress the out groups they hate and that's all they care about. The collateral damage of a corrupt and broken society is a worthwhile trade for them getting to act out their hatred and when they themselves get directly hosed over by the decay of society they'll just get angrier at their chosen target.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

Eh, don't give them the credit of believing their lies. They couldn't even begin to give a coherent definition of words like communism and don't give a sideways flying gently caress about any of it.

They know authoritarian, corrupt governments like Russia would let them attack and repress the out groups they hate and that's all they care about. The collateral damage of a corrupt and broken society is a worthwhile trade for them getting to act out their hatred and when they themselves get directly hosed over by the decay of society they'll just get angrier at their chosen target.

I'd give them slightly more credit, I think it's more like they've managed to make the logical leap that is "America does bad things, therefore, America bad," which is not fundamentally a wrong take, America does do bad things. But, if America not good, then what good? Clearly, whoever opposes America must be good... like Russia. And if America is bad and Capitalist, and Russia is good, then Russia must also in some bizarre way be Communist! The logic is unbeatable.

Obviously some of them probably dream of wearing the jackboots, but I think a lot more of it is just being unable to understand a world without clear black and white conflicts.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's main character syndrome. They live in America. America is the only country that really matters. They arrive at the conclusion that America, is bad! (Not entirely incorrect, mind!)
And if America is the big bad, then countries that America doesn't like and who in turn don't like America (Russia, China, Syria, etc.) are good.

Moreover, anything bad that happens in the world is because America did it. If not overtly then covertly by the CIA. For example: Any type of opposition against the governments of these countries is astroturfed and ran by western agents, and any popular uprising against these governments is a color revolution organized by the CIA by paid actors.

If the uprising was in reality astroturfed and fake (like it was in the Donbass) it's a glorious people's revolution against a great oppressor. Because America didn't do it, and it's against her interests therefore it's real and good.

At this point they usually point to the USA or often specifically the CIA having attempted regime change in the past, first denying it but then later it turned out to be them. "Surely America would never do this!" or "Funny how this keeps happening, strange!" or similar sarcastic comments are made. Without providing any evidence at all. America did it is uncritically taken as fact, because America has always done it! And everyone moves on.

It really boils down to an inability to see the world as anything more than two teams.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Americans smugly explaining to Eastern Europeans how they are supposed to feel about the conflict is one of the lower points of this site.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

spankmeister posted:

It really boils down to an inability to see the world as anything more than two teams.

.. I'd argue it's comforting to think there's anyone in control over events. Much like it's comforting to think of these amorphous ideas being good or bad or the entities representing them "getting what they deserve".

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

Americans smugly explaining to Eastern Europeans how they are supposed to feel about the conflict is one of the lower points of this site.

We live in their echo chamber. :shrug:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Antigravitas posted:

But don't you see? Little things like "being directly threatened by Russian expansionism" and "understanding anything about regional politics" or maybe even "knowing people affected by the war" make it impossible for you to be unbiased and look at the big picture, which is how this affects American politics.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
https://nypost.com/cover/april-21-2024/

Maybe a sign that the financial and media arms of the GoP are trying to reign in Trumps worst excesses a bit?

I expect and all caps ‘Truth’ condemnation of the very, bad, very low readership, failing NY Post any moment.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I wonder what caused Trump to suddenly drop his firm opposition to Ukraine? My theory is that he knew it was gonna pass regardless of his opposition and he didn't wanna be on the losing side of the issue.

psydude fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 21, 2024

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Murgos posted:

https://nypost.com/cover/april-21-2024/

Maybe a sign that the financial and media arms of the GoP are trying to reign in Trumps worst excesses a bit?

I expect and all caps ‘Truth’ condemnation of the very, bad, very low readership, failing NY Post any moment.

I think it was her "Israeli funded, Mexican border protecting, space lasers" ammendment that really pissed everyone off. The "Ukrainian conscript" ammendment was pretty funny as far as crazy obstructionist bullshit goes, but trying to put insane antisemitic conspiracy theories into law may have been a bridge too far? It's hard to follow what the GOP actually wants anymore

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Antigravitas posted:

War bad; perpetual, murderous, authoritarian subjugation good.

This is what tankies actually believe, in so much as they can be said to believe anything.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Cugel the Clever posted:

War bad; perpetual, murderous, authoritarian subjugation good.

I quite literally saw that the other day - an argument that the murderous excesses of Stalin, the Red Guards, etc. were good, because communism is good, and these things were done to further or defend communism. Capitalist death squads are bad because capitalism is bad, not (presumably) because death squads are bad.

I will not be sourcing, you know where to look.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I just hope everyone has fun!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Discussion Quorum posted:

I quite literally saw that the other day - an argument that the murderous excesses of Stalin, the Red Guards, etc. were good, because communism is good, and these things were done to further or defend communism. Capitalist death squads are bad because capitalism is bad, not (presumably) because death squads are bad.

Saw the same one

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Discussion Quorum posted:

Their definition of imperialism works on the same logic.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Is it all a bit? Some of it reads like weirdos just saying inflammatory nonsense for the hell of it.

It has all the hallmarks of 4chan-tier shitposting: no punctuation, all lower case, usually flippant, histrionic and sensationalist. The only difference is less racism and transphobia.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Whatever is going on I'm glad it's happening somewhere else.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

99pct of germs posted:

Is it all a bit? Some of it reads like weirdos just saying inflammatory nonsense for the hell of it.

It has all the hallmarks of 4chan-tier shitposting: no punctuation, all lower case, usually flippant, histrionic and sensationalist. The only difference is less racism and transphobia.

Some are cynics being edgy, many are idiots who don't know better, and a very small contingent are true believers that actually mean it. Sadly each and every one has terminal politics brain and will have to be culled.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Grip it and rip it posted:

Some are cynics being edgy, many are idiots who don't know better, and a very small contingent are true believers that actually mean it. Sadly each and every one has terminal politics brain and will have to be culled.

2020s corollary to Poe's law - on the internet you can't really tell the difference between a bit or wannabe and a true believer until one of them is dousing themselves in gasoline in public.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Motivated reasoning is a hell of a thing and if the starting point for your political social group is that ideological purity is king over all else then people find it very easy to declare that context does not matter.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

Some are cynics being edgy, many are idiots who don't know better, and a very small contingent are true believers that actually mean it.

This is how all alt-right stuff on 4chan got started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

I might be missing something, but who's arguing about Eastern Europeans and their views on things? The "communists"/tankies I was referring to are the ones in comfortable liberal western Europe/the US/Canada.