Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hmm no Patriot ammo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Dandywalken posted:

Hmm no Patriot ammo?

This is only a billion, and sounds like what they had ready. 59 more billion to go!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

If I'm not mistaken this is out of funds already allocated or otherwise available to the president, and not part of the new bill.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

mlmp08 posted:

I have enjoyed the theory that Ukraine gets its weapons smuggled via the Black Sea, largely put forward by people who apparently don’t realize that roads exist.

exactly why noone would predict the sea route !!

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Antigravitas posted:

Perhaps look at a map of Ukraine's borders with the EU some time?

Sounds like work

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

spankmeister posted:

If I'm not mistaken this is out of funds already allocated or otherwise available to the president, and not part of the new bill.

How nice for Biden to throw in a sweetener for the deal.

(Its probably to give the NATO/US in Europe a confident green light to start shipping stuff to Ukraine immediately, the accountants can later figure out who pays what.)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

NYT reporting that Ukraine has already received the longer range ATACMS a couple of weeks ago as a part of the $300m package sent last month.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/24/us/us-ukraine-russia-missiles.html?unlocked_article_code=1.m00.2j_u.fx2DY5C9ySyr&smid=url-share

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
There was a period in 2022 where Russia was trying to degrade Ukraine's rail infrastructure with missiles before shaheds were in their arsenal, especially the lines around lviv that were carrying refugees out and supplies in, but those kind of strikes (reporting on them anyway) seemed to dry up when they switched focus to saturation attacks on energy infrastructure. I'm guessing the rate of successful damage to the rate of repair wasn't favorable.bTo the best of my knowledge they've never even tried to intercept road based imports for all the reasons mentioned. Best results they've had are the occasional successfully identified warehouse.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Flikken posted:

This is only a billion, and sounds like what they had ready. 59 more billion to go!

Holy poo poo

I swear the real wonder weapon in all of this isn't a weapon, it's US logistics. It's mind blowing that all of that can get to Ukraine in such short order.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

US logistics is practically like having a teleporter. We're absurdly good at that. Like, we had lobster and steaks for dinners at my FOB in nowhere Afghanistan. We even had literally too much ammo.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

99pct of germs posted:

Holy poo poo

I swear the real wonder weapon in all of this isn't a weapon, it's US logistics. It's mind blowing that all of that can get to Ukraine in such short order.

Generally going to be MLL and Hapag-Lloyd on the northern Europe run.

Afghanistan was APL and MLL to Karachi.

They always try to get out of the ammo bonus, I don't think small arms counts for it. The bigger stuff usually go grey hulls I think so RRF or MSC.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

99pct of germs posted:

Holy poo poo

The US' mastery of the logistical game of war is really unlike anything else in the world. It's absolutely insane how they get poo poo from A to B, if it needs to get there, they can get it there.

The triangle of logistics is

Cheap
Quick
Plentiful

Pick 2, and generally while expensive as gently caress, the DLA generally managed to get massive amounts of gear where it was going when it was needed. Weird edge requests were sometimes problematic, but the US has never really an issue where we were running low on ordnance to put downrange, they've got poo poo pre-staged everywhere.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 25, 2024

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
OTOH, this wat has the DOD and admin in whiplash as they realize that whole they can move a lot of ordnance, they don’t have enough ordnance to move.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

quote:

Small arms and additional rounds of small arms ammunition, including .50 caliber rounds to counter Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS);

It seems like a quadcopter is an ambitious target for a pintle .50, but I've never shot one before so maybe I've misunderstood exactly what they're capable of.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

mlmp08 posted:

OTOH, this wat has the DOD and admin in whiplash as they realize that whole they can move a lot of ordnance, they don’t have enough ordnance to move.
The Javelin factory went to 24/7 ops shortly after the invasion due to that, did the 155mm artillery one go 24/7 too?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

The US military hasn't really been artillery-heavy in a very long time, but they're working pretty rapidly to fix that and in a big way, 2 years ago the US procured less than 15,000 155 rounds a month. By end of FY2024, they're projecting to cross the 100,000 155 rounds per month threshold, and increase production beyond that. If there's one thing the US is good at it is cranking out absolute insane quantities of materiel if given enough time to spin up production.

Jimmy Smuts posted:

The Javelin factory went to 24/7 ops shortly after the invasion due to that, did the 155mm artillery one go 24/7 too?

They've been on 24/7 operations since the invasion kicked off, and old facilities and production lines have been restarted or set up from scratch using the funds from the Ukraine packages. There's a lot of capacity that is coming online that will be available over the next year. 10x-ing your shell production in less than 2 years is pretty wild.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 25, 2024

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

99pct of germs posted:

Holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owbCW5jBQZc

It's a famous clip for a reason.

(1:50 in)

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I'm pretty sure I read an article that said it did but I can't seem to find it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Madurai posted:

It seems like a quadcopter is an ambitious target for a pintle .50, but I've never shot one before so maybe I've misunderstood exactly what they're capable of.

Why we're simply a multi billion dollar acquisitions contract away from slapping target acquisition and fire control radars to a CROWS .50 and being able to field mini-Gepards on every AFV!

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
The 50cal stuff is probably for things like Shaheds and larger loitering reconnaissance drones.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Arrath posted:

Why we're simply a multi billion dollar acquisitions contract away from slapping target acquisition and fire control radars to a CROWS .50 and being able to field mini-Gepards on every AFV!

Would that make them technicals? :v:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Quackles posted:

Would that make them technicals? :v:

Technically.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jimmy Smuts posted:

There’s no such thing as “the” singular 155mm factory, really.

orange juche posted:

The US military hasn't really been artillery-heavy in a very long time, but they're working pretty rapidly to fix that and in a big way, 2 years ago the US procured less than 15,000 155 rounds a month. By end of FY2024, they're projecting to cross the 100,000 155 rounds per month threshold, and increase production beyond that.

I think you are mistaken. “By 2025” was by end of 2025, not by start of 2025.

As of February 2024, the US Army reports that it is making 30,000 rounds per month and hopes to reach 100,00 per month by late 2025

https://www.army.mil/article/273152/us_army_and_industry_partners_mobilize_to_boost_us_artillery_production

https://insidedefense.com/daily-news/army-official-says-ammo-production-would-suffer-critical-delays-without-base-supplemental

So in two years went from 14k to 30k. Plan is hit 100k in ~3.5 years total.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 25, 2024

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Arrath posted:

This kind of thing is the reason the US military is putting 30 mm on every new vehicle design they’re dreaming up. Everything can have anti-air capability. There has been some success at bringing the technology down to smaller calibers using computer-targeting, but the addition of the explosive ammunition is a game changer.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Kaal posted:

This kind of thing is the reason the US military is putting 30 mm on every new vehicle design they’re dreaming up. Everything can have anti-air capability. There has been some success at bringing the technology down to smaller calibers using computer-targeting, but the addition of the explosive ammunition is a game changer.

Isn't this a more automated version of how the Soviets used to put DSHK and NSV machine guns on top of all their tanks?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Kaal posted:

VT fuses are all the rage again!

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Kraftwerk posted:

Isn't this a more automated version of how the Soviets used to put DSHK and NSV machine guns on top of all their tanks?

It’s certainly part of the same evolution. The American equivalent is the M2 Browning .50 cal (12.7 mm), which they put everywhere for standardized anti-infantry / light-vehicle capabilities. Bumping it up to 30 mm is a big jump (with lots of weight, volume, and ammo capacity concerns), but it adds a lot of value and flexibility.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

There’s no such thing as “the” singular 155mm factory, really.

In the case of 155 production, I'm pretty sure before the war they were down to just the Scranton plant for 155 production and it was not on 24/7 shifts, other stuff was mothballed. Now they've got that factory on 24/7 and have spun up additional lines and equipment elsewhere to increase production.

quote:

I think you are mistaken. “By 2025” was by end of 2025, not by start of 2025.

As of February 2024, the US Army reports that it is making 30,000 rounds per month and hopes to reach 100,00 per month by late 2025

https://www.army.mil/article/273152/us_army_and_industry_partners_mobilize_to_boost_us_artillery_production

https://insidedefense.com/daily-news/army-official-says-ammo-production-would-suffer-critical-delays-without-base-supplemental

So in two years went from 14k to 30k. Plan is hit 100k in ~3.5 years total.

Oops, I misread it, there's a ton of breathless reporting about current production figures and projected figures from different websites, and I didn't grab it from the right source.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Without crossing COMSEC lines, have we spun up missile stuff as aggressively too? I know they are burning up Patriots rapidly, and I figure everything else we can provide that I can't think of right noww

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

GD_American posted:

Without crossing COMSEC lines, have we spun up missile stuff as aggressively too? I know they are burning up Patriots rapidly, and I figure everything else we can provide that I can't think of right noww

A lot of the patriot use and production is FMS (not Ukraine) and US war stock builds.

But yes, LockMart announced upping MSE production to 550 per year by 2025 and 650 per year by 2027.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Reportedly, the DoD has had a bit of sticker shock when it realized that missiles get used a lot in war, and how horrible the exchange rate is if you use a bunch of multimillion dollar missiles to shoot down drones that cost basically nothing in comparison

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jimmy Smuts posted:

US logistics is practically like having a teleporter. We're absurdly good at that. Like, we had lobster and steaks for dinners at my FOB in nowhere Afghanistan. We even had literally too much ammo.

Just their passenger transportation system rivals most global airlines
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpPuJ_r8Xg

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Door Frame posted:

Reportedly, the DoD has had a bit of sticker shock when it realized that missiles get used a lot in war, and how horrible the exchange rate is if you use a bunch of multimillion dollar missiles to shoot down drones that cost basically nothing in comparison

It doesn’t matter how much the drones cost, it matters how much it would cost to fix whatever the drones would break if they get through.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Subjunctive posted:

It doesn’t matter how much the drones cost, it matters how much it would cost to fix whatever the drones would break if they get through.

Exactly, you can't not shoot them down, but drones are cheap and the intercepting missiles are very expensive, so they're looking for more cost effective ways of doing things

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

How big of a disaster is the Russian breakthrough in the Avdiivka direction? From what I've gathered they managed to crimp off something like five miles of territory in one go after a Ukrainian troop rotation fuckup left a bunch of trenches empty.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Nuclear Tourist posted:

How big of a disaster is the Russian breakthrough in the Avdiivka direction? From what I've gathered they managed to crimp off something like five miles of territory in one go after a Ukrainian troop rotation fuckup left a bunch of trenches empty.

Sucks but dont think its catastrophic

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Not great but Russia hasn't been able to really follow through on any major breakthroughs because shockingly human wave tactics don't result in the best strategic gains.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

It doesn't matter how much your drone's target costs, it matters how much you can force the enemy to spend defending it.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

All the news about Ukraine's manpower troubles and the Russian advances doesn't sound good. Especially with the background of Ukraine having to expand mobilization to its younger cohorts, the troop rotations replacing tired worn out groups with slightly less tired, worn out groups.

I don't really see how Ukraine can keep doing at this point if their young don't want to fight even with all this aid. It's infuriating that Russia has thrown away entire towns worth of manpower and still has more to spare. Sure we laugh at their weird vehicles and so on but they seem to be showing no sign of stopping any time soon. I wonder how different this would have played out if this bill passed 6 months ago instead of now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
At this point, barring the Russian populace suddenly having a popular awakening, some truly high-profile HUR shenanigans or Macron getting serious about his talk of sending French troops to Ukraine, I think Ukraine's best hope is a frozen conflict akin to the last frozen conflict, with both sides too worn out for an advance and Russia engaging in casual genocide in the occupied territories.