Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Rust Martialis posted:

honest lawyers

"military intelligence"

E: "good snipe"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

They can't join NATO, but they're allowed to have a article 5 like security guarantee?

From a quick glance at WELT's site and my very rudimentary german, I think the telegram message is missing a past tense in there. The article talks about a what could have been and maybe it's still a way forward.

https://www.welt.de/politik/ausland/plus251243756/Ukraine-Krieg-Geheimes-Dokument-haette-nach-zwei-Monaten-Frieden-bringen-koennen.html

Yes, it seems to be a draft peace treaty from just after the war started, a couple of months in at most, not a current document.

I also think that no matter how tired the Ukrainians are, they'd know it would just be a prelude to more Russian bullshit and deniable trash like the Donbass "rebels," assassinations of pro-Western politicians, etc. putting off an inevitability rather than some sort of fresh start. I think they'd have to be a lot more desperate or a lot more stupid to ever sign this.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

PurpleXVI posted:

Yes, it seems to be a draft peace treaty from just after the war started, a couple of months in at most, not a current document.

I also think that no matter how tired the Ukrainians are, they'd know it would just be a prelude to more Russian bullshit and deniable trash like the Donbass "rebels," assassinations of pro-Western politicians, etc. putting off an inevitability rather than some sort of fresh start. I think they'd have to be a lot more desperate or a lot more stupid to ever sign this.

This poo poo always seems to blow up on Telegram whenever Russian propaganda is spinning up, which seems to have happened this week due to the aid bill passing.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

They can't join NATO, but they're allowed to have a article 5 like security guarantee?

From a quick glance at WELT's site and my very rudimentary german, I think the telegram message is missing a past tense in there. The article talks about a what could have been and maybe it's still a way forward.

https://www.welt.de/politik/ausland/plus251243756/Ukraine-Krieg-Geheimes-Dokument-haette-nach-zwei-Monaten-Frieden-bringen-koennen.html

hätte können - absolutely past tense. "The secret document that could have ended the war in Ukraine", first paragraph identifies it as dating to shortly after the war began and calls it favorable in retrospect compared to the 2 years of war endured instead. Which I disagree with, but whatever, I'm not paying to read the rest of this.

I remember this being reported on at the time so I guess the thing that Die Welt has an exclusive on is the actual text rather than mostly accurate recounting from people who saw it or were there?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Lemniscate Blue posted:

"military intelligence"

Two words combined that cant make sense!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Also as in the first time those ideas were floated two years ago, there’s very very very little chance of any countries volunteering to provide those security guarantees. Even if someone is willing, without having troops based in country as a tripwire I’m not sure how reliable those guarantees would be. More importantly perhaps, how much of a deterrent would they be to Russia if the Russians have doubts about the guarantor countries willingness to fight? Especially without the headlines that 40 American/British/French/German soldiers had been killed in a Russian missile strike at the outbreak of the war or w/e to rile up public opinion, I’m not sure how many western countries would send their troops into an active war. The poles and the baltic states are probably a different story, but as Ukraine I’m not sure I’d be willing to bet my future security on Poland alone.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

tiaz posted:

hätte können - absolutely past tense. "The secret document that could have ended the war in Ukraine", first paragraph identifies it as dating to shortly after the war began and calls it favorable in retrospect compared to the 2 years of war endured instead. Which I disagree with, but whatever, I'm not paying to read the rest of this.

I remember this being reported on at the time so I guess the thing that Die Welt has an exclusive on is the actual text rather than mostly accurate recounting from people who saw it or were there?

How is it secret though? Russia was openly touting this as the way out like days after it started?

Some secret.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

CommieGIR posted:

How is it secret though? Russia was openly touting this as the way out like days after it started?

Some secret.

you'd have to ask Gregor Schwung :shrug:

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Russia is outproducing the US with regards to artillery. Here's a good video on it. I like the host, Chris. He's a good journalist in that he gives you his biases up front and tries to give you unbiased information.

https://youtu.be/UKs1mERKE14?si=8OXfmgMGFDLcrxhU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Also as in the first time those ideas were floated two years ago, there’s very very very little chance of any countries volunteering to provide those security guarantees. Even if someone is willing, without having troops based in country as a tripwire I’m not sure how reliable those guarantees would be. More importantly perhaps, how much of a deterrent would they be to Russia if the Russians have doubts about the guarantor countries willingness to fight? Especially without the headlines that 40 American/British/French/German soldiers had been killed in a Russian missile strike at the outbreak of the war or w/e to rile up public opinion, I’m not sure how many western countries would send their troops into an active war. The poles and the baltic states are probably a different story, but as Ukraine I’m not sure I’d be willing to bet my future security on Poland alone.

Also, also - wasn't Ukraine already in theory covered by security guarantees from back when they gave up their nukes after the USSR collapse? I can't imagine they'd be too keen on going that route again when it so demonstrably did nothing last time.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Computer viking posted:

Also, also - wasn't Ukraine already in theory covered by security guarantees from back when they gave up their nukes after the USSR collapse? I can't imagine they'd be too keen on going that route again when it so demonstrably did nothing last time.

It sounds like you're talking about the Budapest Memorandum, which was a toothless non-treaty that offered nothing concrete to Ukraine and basically ceased to matter the second Putin came into power. Naturally, Russia would be eager to adopt a new framework that was more or less identical to Budapest, only with them getting territory ceded to them. It would let them back off, rearm, and come back to the apple to take another bite out of it on their own terms.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 27, 2024

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Bored As gently caress posted:

Russia is outproducing the US with regards to artillery. Here's a good video on it. I like the host, Chris. He's a good journalist in that he gives you his biases up front and tries to give you unbiased information.

https://youtu.be/UKs1mERKE14?si=8OXfmgMGFDLcrxhU

I mean, is anyone really surprised given the emphasis on massed artillery in Soviet/Russian doctrine, especially when compared to NATO countries that don't really go all in on that?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Computer viking posted:

Yeah the Budapest Memorandum gave Ukraine 'security assurances' from the signatory nations, not 'security guarantees.' It basically said 'if you give up your nuclear weapons (which weren't really under Ukraine's control anyway) we, the undersigned (US, UK, and Russia) promise not to attack you, and if someone nukes you or threatens to nuke you we'll bring it up at the UN Security Council.'

Those security assurances (we promise to respect your territorial integrity and not attack you) often get misunderstood as security guarantees (if you are attacked, we will come to your defense).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'm not sure a guarantee would have been worth anything here; the US and UK could simply look at Russia coming over the border, say "gently caress getting involved with that, good luck Kiev" and just let Ukraine get steamrolled. Who's going to sue the guarantors? The now-dead government of Ukraine? Who would enforce the guarantee? The Security Council? Sure, the guarantors lose some credibility and give other nations a step or two towards displacing them as the world cops but that arguably doesn't matter over any political planning horizon.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Midjack posted:

I'm not sure a guarantee would have been worth anything here; the US and UK could simply look at Russia coming over the border, say "gently caress getting involved with that, good luck Kiev" and just let Ukraine get steamrolled. Who's going to sue the guarantors? The now-dead government of Ukraine? Who would enforce the guarantee? The Security Council? Sure, the guarantors lose some credibility and give other nations a step or two towards displacing them as the world cops but that arguably doesn't matter over any political planning horizon.

The thing that makes a security guarantee worth anything is the same thing that makes your money worth anything. You have to believe it's real, the person you're dealing with has to believe it's real, and there has to be an enforcement mechanism making it real. For a security guarantee to work, it would take a credible threat of enforcement to dissuade a potential aggressor, which in the case of Ukraine would probably have to be nothing less than permanent NATO presence and enough evident political will to go to war if Russia chooses to roll over that speed bump.

After all, I'm sure some people thought that maybe NATO wouldn't go to war over Germany, but the threat was real enough that T34s and T54s never came through the Fulda gap.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

A.o.D. posted:

The thing that makes a security guarantee worth anything is the same thing that makes your money worth anything. You have to believe it's real, the person you're dealing with has to believe it's real, and there has to be an enforcement mechanism making it real. For a security guarantee to work, it would take a credible threat of enforcement to dissuade a potential aggressor, which in the case of Ukraine would probably have to be nothing less than permanent NATO presence and enough evident political will to go to war if Russia chooses to roll over that speed bump.

After all, I'm sure some people thought that maybe NATO wouldn't go to war over Germany, but the threat was real enough that T34s and T54s never came through the Fulda gap.

I would argue that the US and the West are indeed standing behind and providing the security guarantee of the Budapest Memorandum. There was nothing formal in the agreement about just how the signatories would guarantee Ukraine's safety, so they were certainly not obligated to send any troops, but sending aid and arms certainly fits.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

I would argue that the US and the West are indeed standing behind and providing the security guarantee of the Budapest Memorandum. There was nothing formal in the agreement about just how the signatories would guarantee Ukraine's safety, so they were certainly not obligated to send any troops, but sending aid and arms certainly fits.

I am inclined to agree, especially since I've said basically that exact thing in this very thread. The thing is, Russia didn't believe it was real, which is why they invaded.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

A.o.D. posted:

This is a big reason the Baltics/Poland are so adamant about having NATO troops from other countries based on their soil. If Russia invades, they're gonna cause some casualties among those NATO troops and nothing enrages the American public quite like somebody other than Americans killing Americans with bullets or high explosives.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

Except they are doing it nine years too late.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

OddObserver posted:

The US started working with Ukraine to upgrade its military shortly after Crimea was seized. It's why Trump had leverage on them to get them to make up dirt on Biden. They needed the American training and weapons.

ETA:

Source:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1294615/us-security-assistance-ukraine/

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 27, 2024

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

OddObserver posted:

Too late would be smuggling arms into the country for an insurgency.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

I am inclined to agree, especially since I've said basically that exact thing in this very thread. The thing is, Russia didn't believe it was real, which is why they invaded.

They had good reason not to. Four years of Trump trashing NATO (and blackmailing Ukraine), the haphazard withdrawal from Afghanistan, political turmoil from COVID, Germany's economy being hugely dependent on Russian gas, and the world ignoring their first foray into Crimea and the Donbass while shooting down a plane carrying a bunch of citizens of a NATO country were all pretty good predictors of a soft response.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
A quick reminder that Welt is the same as Bild, just for people with pretensions of being better than reading Bild.

I don't understand why the Anglosphere exclusively reads the most garbage trash-tier publications it can find.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

tiaz posted:

The Welt article that's been mangled on telegram is based on the recent FT article by Sam Charap and Sergey Radchenko. They've gotten access to draft documents from the Spring '22 negotiations and have published them. There's been a lot of debate about it on think tank twitter.

If you're still using it, Radchenko is a Cold War historian who's a good follow.

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/ukraine/talks-could-have-ended-war-ukraine

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

psydude posted:

They had good reason not to. Four years of Trump trashing NATO (and blackmailing Ukraine), the haphazard withdrawal from Afghanistan, political turmoil from COVID, Germany's economy being hugely dependent on Russian gas, and the world ignoring their first foray into Crimea and the Donbass while shooting down a plane carrying a bunch of citizens of a NATO country were all pretty good predictors of a soft response.

The little green men invasion of Crimea and the fake separatist republics in 2014, which wasn't under Trump, also does not happen if Russia thinks the Budapest memorandum is real.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

The little green men invasion of Crimea and the fake separatist republics in 2014, which wasn't under Trump, also does not happen if Russia thinks the Budapest memorandum is real.

Crimea and the Donbass regions heavily voted for Yanukovych, the guy deposed by the Maidan coup, in an election certified by outside observers as free and fair. Why would they want to stay part of an undemocratic country that disenfranchised their voices, threatened their identity as ethnic Russians, and threatened their economic livelihood through moving away from ties with geographically proximate Russia to the EU?

Worth noting that six people, total, died during the secession of Crimea, including a dude who had a heart attack at a protest. And in retaliation Ukraine shut off fresh drinking water to Crimea, a sure sign of exactly how much the Ukrainian coup regime loved the people of Crimea. Also Crimea had a history of trying to assert itself as an autonomous zone with autonomous government until Ukraine forcibly shut that down, and the people who actually lived there remember that.

The breakaway regions seceded because Ukrainian democracy had fallen. Maybe coups are a bad way to resolve political differences and if the country was truly gung ho about taking on IMF debt they could have had an election about it

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
International agreements are neither "real" nor "unreal", they have an always-varying amount of political will backing them, and hybrid warfare techniques like that are a good way of testing them since you can easily back off if there is a serious response. There wasn't, so there was no reason to back off.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nix Panicus posted:

Crimea and the Donbass regions heavily voted for Yanukovych, the guy deposed by the Maidan coup, in an election certified by outside observers as free and fair. Why would they want to stay part of an undemocratic country that disenfranchised their voices, threatened their identity as ethnic Russians, and threatened their economic livelihood through moving away from ties with geographically proximate Russia to the EU?

Worth noting that six people, total, died during the secession of Crimea, including a dude who had a heart attack at a protest. And in retaliation Ukraine shut off fresh drinking water to Crimea, a sure sign of exactly how much the Ukrainian coup regime loved the people of Crimea. Also Crimea had a history of trying to assert itself as an autonomous zone with autonomous government until Ukraine forcibly shut that down, and the people who actually lived there remember that.

The breakaway regions seceded because Ukrainian democracy had fallen. Maybe coups are a bad way to resolve political differences and if the country was truly gung ho about taking on IMF debt they could have had an election about it

source ur quotes

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
The maidan revolution started on Feb 18, 2014 and Russia started what ended up being the occupation of Crimea on Feb 20 and Yanukovich was ousted on the 23rd.

It’s almost like Russia and Yanukovich had been planning it for a while and with the suddenness of yanukovich being ousted they acted during the confusion.

That the secession of Crimea was organic from within as a reaction to the change government is absurd given the timing.

quote:

The occupation began during Ukraine's Revolution of Dignity, which ousted pro-Russian president Viktor Yanukovych. Russian special forces without insignia took control of Crimea's government buildings, surrounded Ukrainian military bases, and blockaded the peninsula. A pro-Russian government was installed and a referendum on Crimea's status was held under occupation.

Crimea literally happened before Yanukovich was officially removed from power.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I didn't know Tucker Carlson had an SA account.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ukranian Coup Regime eh

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Hannibal Rex posted:

The Welt article that's been mangled on telegram is based on the recent FT article by Sam Charap and Sergey Radchenko. They've gotten access to draft documents from the Spring '22 negotiations and have published them. There's been a lot of debate about it on think tank twitter.

If you're still using it, Radchenko is a Cold War historian who's a good follow.

Anyone who would share a byline with Charap demonstrates rather poor judgement.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Murgos posted:

The maidan revolution started on Feb 18, 2014 and Russia started what ended up being the occupation of Crimea on Feb 20 and Yanukovich was ousted on the 23rd.

It’s almost like Russia and Yanukovich had been planning it for a while and with the suddenness of yanukovich being ousted they acted during the confusion.

That the secession of Crimea was organic from within as a reaction to the change government is absurd given the timing.

Crimea literally happened before Yanukovich was officially removed from power.

Oh, nevermind then, everyone knows you have to let the coup finish before anyone is allowed to do anything else

E: But seriously, they voted for Yanukovych in 2004 but the election was overturned. They voted of Yanukovych in 2010 and his opponent *tried* to have it overturned but I guess no one liked her enough. Maybe after a decade of continued attempts at disenfranchisement they were just expecting it?

Also, again, Ukraine crushed Crimea's autonomous government in 1995, an event within living memory. Its not like there was a lot of faith or trust with the central government in Kyiv.

Nix Panicus fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 27, 2024

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

That Works posted:

Ukranian Coup Regime eh

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nix Panicus posted:

I’d ask all those voters how they still felt about this but they are mostly all dead in sunflower fields.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Crab Dad posted:

I’d ask all those voters how they still felt about this but they are mostly all dead in sunflower fields.

Being shelled by militias for a decade will do that, yeah, very sad.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nix Panicus posted:

Being shelled by militias for a decade will do that, yeah, very sad.

Ohhhh so you are a serious believer.

lol

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I find it difficult to call an event a coup when the military and security services remain on the side of the regime and shoot the protestors.

Calling it a coup or even a revolution obscures essential truth of events, which is that Yanukovich had a situation that was bad but manageable with the same group of political elites he'd been managing for a decade, and instead he lost and nerve and ran to Moscow.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yanukovic was removed as president in a constitutional procedure after he fled the country to Russia. Afterwards new elections were held and Poroshenko was chosen as president.

It's useless to argue with true believer tankies. It's especially draining when they're sealioning and :decorum: must be upheld. I will refrain from replying.

To contribute to greater understanding, here is a very comprehensive video series on the current conflict, annexation of Crimea, war in Donbass, the Revolution of Dignity (Maidan), the Minsk accords, """NATO expansion""" and Russia's """Security Concerns"""", their abhorrent behavior in Moldova (Transnistria), Chechnya (x2), Georgia, etc. The works. Highly recommended viewing!

quote:

Part One: A history of Ukraine before the war, and how its incredibly Byzantine politics accidently sucked in its paranoid neighbor.
Part Two: A history of Russia's war on Ukraine from 2014 to the escalation in 2022, and how it ended up sparking a new Cold War.
Part Three: A survey of all the popular theories of why Russia invaded Ukraine and why they're wrong, and a history of American foreign policy in Eastern Europe, especially NATO expansion.
Part Four: The incredibly stupid and insane story of a fringe political sect and how it connects to both the war and a lot of other terrible things that have happened in the last 10 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exJ024Zdzdk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ_ZRBLFOXw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVmmASrAL-Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OFyn_KSy8

(Probably need to open these in youtube)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Nix Panicus posted:

I bet you said "Yes! Finally those nazis will be taken care of once and for all!" back in February 2022.