Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The German and British banking systems are little more than Russian money laundering fronts at this point, the real estate markets are flooded with that clean cash and virtually every right wing politician of influence in Europe is business partners with someone two steps removed from an oligarch. This is even before you consider what effects sanctions might have in their home countries, which can and will topple governments. No one has an appetite for meaningful, long lasting sanctions.

I actually agree with all of your assertions, and they're the exact reason I want to see meaningful, long lasting sanctions. Cut the loving rot out, even though it will hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Just.... for the completely uninitiated, what's special about a Javelin? I get that they're a shoulder mounted antitank weapon, but what I seem to be understanding from all of you, and reality, is that they are very, very good at this?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Thanks all. So basically,

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

they are very, very good at this

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Starting a days Ukraine hasn't capitulated counter with 1 day.

Thread title

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

:stare:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

aphid_licker posted:

No way is that true but I want to believe

E: the ace kill list, but those casualty numbers also seem incredibly low

That will be confirmed numbers, which are notoriously difficult to get in the middle of an active war.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

With how much the stealth features on the F-22 have been celebrated, could Raptors be used over Ukraine while maintaining plausible deniability about US involvement?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

F-22s aren't quite invisible to radar and are obviously quite visible to the naked eye.

Nonsense. There are at least 100 of them there right now.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The F-117 pilot and the dude most chiefly responsible for shooting him down became friends, actually. I've not met a *lot* of Nighthawk pilots, only two, actually, but neither of them were anything but top shelf Grade A dudes. You've gotta have a lot of confidence to be a doorkicker flying a plane that can only fly subsonic and has a tendency to turn into a cartwheeling Dorito chip when it's hit.

Reminds me of a tale in Blind Man's Bluff of an underwater collision between a US and Soviet sub, both captains being utterly convinced they'd sunk the other and meeting after the Cold War.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

Ghost of Kyiv might be the most metal nickname I've ever heard

rock the gently caress on Ghost of Kyiv.

now i'm thinking of one of my favourite b films, Ghosts of Mars, and imagining Ice Cube running out into the middle of the russian army yelling COME ON YOU MINDLESS MOTHAFUCKAS

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Good for them.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

Holy shiiiit. The ghost of Kyiv?!

https://twitter.com/Ukrainelive5/st...ingawful.com%2F

Edit: wait is this DCS footage? God it’s so hard to tell these days. Sorry if it is, might be real though.

o7

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Nuclear War posted:

Im not buying that there's a lone dude shooting down Russian planes left and right with a relevant and poignant nickname. like, its good propaganda but it seems extremely unlikely.

just let us have this

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The guy slowly accelerates to 80km/h instead of putting the throttle through the firewall :stare:

Those are some brass loving balls

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Thats a lot of armoured vehicles dead

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

ASAPI posted:

I don't remember seeing this earlier. Looks like Ukraine has engaged full on gently caress you mode.

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1497112173734150145?t=U7e-l7FE542r7vBPmZr_xw&s=19

God bless

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

gently caress. If nothing else, they'll be running up Russian military spending for a while.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Crini posted:

As a teen in the late 80s I was as much of a military nerd as I could be without today’s access to information. So I don’t really know anything. But shouldn’t someone either take those artillery pieces or spike them? Seems like just leaving them there means they could be firing on you next week.

They probably will. It's worth remembering this invasion started all of 24 hours ago.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That team of eight absolutely will be black opping.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Untagged posted:

"Martin Sheen (D-West Wing), has announced he will run for President."

Do you want the Illusive Man? That's how you get the Illusive Man.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Collapsing your economy to own your own army

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm not owned I'm not owned I insist as Ukrainians dunk on me over and over

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

The response from leftist organizations during this has been utterly absurd. How do they retain any credibility?

https://international.dsausa.org/statements/no-war-with-russia/

That's deeply, deeply disappointing.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

This owns

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Pine Cone Jones posted:

In the GBS thread there's purported footage of russians shooting fleeing civilians.

Why would America make Russians do this?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

Starting to get the idea that Glenn Greenwald is quite possibly a loving moron
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1497630985999077376

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Ahahaha he's boosting Tucker Max? why the heck would anyone care about what the frat humor guy with uh, not great views on women, from the early 2000s thinks about global affairs?

Well it's not just that, I glanced through his screed and he seems to be implying that the conflict either isn't as big as is being shown, or that there... isn't a war?

quote:

But do these actions seem like the actions of warring states?

No.

Anyway
Ukraine owns
UKRowns
qtiyd

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Sentinel posted:

There was some youtube video about a large tank battle in gulf war that explained one of the main ways our tactics paid off vs the iraqi's was because they were using the Russian doctrine which was less flexible while our forces on the ground had the ability to make independent decisions for themselves iirc. Something to that extent.
Could be the same thing sticking to a plan even if the plans clearly already hosed.

See also, the opening of WWI.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Jesus. It'd be kinder to shoot them in the back of the head before dropping them.
They would have had minutes.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

They shared a shepherd's pie boiled in mint sauce in Britain while planning the election, I’m sure.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck :pwn:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

has the ukraine invasion displaced brexit as the biggest self-own globally yet?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

if this ends with a ton of superyachts getting seized from sacks of poo poo like i used to work for then i am probably going to loving die laughing

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

If you wanna check out the Russian propaganda side of this, check out the C-Spam thread, it's like stepping into another dimension

give us some highlights, i'm not dipping myself into that filth

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

I wonder what cspam’s thoughts on the Holodomor are.

Not quite as good as the Thunderdome.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I wonder if capturing Chernobyl was something to do with this. Just crack the case and let nature do the rest.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

orange juche posted:

Also on the reports of downed IL76s, decent chance to be propaganda bullshit unless there's video of a burning IL76 falling out of the sky, since a shootdown of one of those aircraft would be a big propaganda coup. It's really hard to hide 130 tons of aircraft hitting the ground and third party intel would have likely confirmed the downing of those aircraft if they crashed, because satellite imagery would have shown it. Not saying Ukrainian twitter is lying about IL-76 shootdowns, just, be cautious about taking it at its word.

I thought there was confirmation from the US?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I understand shooting those down is a big deal, but how much of a big deal would a loss of 4 be?

That would be two big deals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That's entirely fair. You could also think of us as cheering on the underdog in a title fight, every punch he lands is a victory.