Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

psydude posted:

The Economist mentioned that the Ukrainians are claiming to have destroyed an entire Russian tank column (15 tanks - that's almost an Armor company's worth, if I'm not mistaken) with Javelins. Raytheon engineers probably patting themselves on the back right now.

Literally this scene but with more modern weaponry. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXDemoHHinw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Just.... for the completely uninitiated, what's special about a Javelin? I get that they're a shoulder mounted antitank weapon, but what I seem to be understanding from all of you, and reality, is that they are very, very good at this?

Top down attack so its hitting the weakest part of the tank, and its fire and forget, so you dont have to guide it in like a TOW

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
If thats true, you'd think they've learned something after Chechnya

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Caconym posted:

This is just insane to me. Ukrainian drone taking out a loving SAM, are the Russians just tugging them around for lols, or are they just always moving and this never able to deploy them properly, or don't they have any targeting network up at all? If the BUK is meant to be static why aren't they leapfrogging them to have a functioning umbrella up? I know nothing about air defence, but drat.

https://twitter.com/trbrtc/status/1498320315662979076?t=9NoIhffzIQj6jOwgaSPqZw&s=19

I think BUKs are more for longer range engagements and need to setup, and these look like they're on the move, which means, they should be protected by assets like Tunguskas, MANPADs, Pantsir, etc.

So definitely a failure but not that kind of failure.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

So just out of idle curiosity, have there ever been examples of the kind of corruption that is endemic to the Russian military in the US?

I have a hard time picturing anyone, say, siphoning off jet fuel to pay for a yacht, even given the stories of incompetence I've seen relayed here.

Nothing like the outright corruption, theft, grifting, etc, that happens in the Russian military happens in the US miltary.

US military corruption just consists of more contractual/political stuff, like millions of dollars being airlifted into Baghdad and oh no whoops where did it go ?

Or paying Halliburton hundreds of millions of dollars to setup a shipping container base in Afghanistan or something.

Equipment theft, stuff like that that Russian commanders do quickly get discovered for the most part and prosecuted.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Honestly I think the closest two would be the Bradley and the initial bugs with the F-16A/B getting buried until Janet Harduvel brought suit against General Dynamics.

The A-12 Avenger II program was also pretty clearly straight graft and absolute bullshit being spun into whole cloth. If Cheney hadn't axed it it probably would've cost the Navy a few hundred billion dollars and delivered very little of its original program aims. As it stands, there was still litigation about the cancellation until like 2014.

Sure, but its really hard to prove if the program from the outset was a big huge grift, or simply just over promising and under delivering.

To me, that A-12 program sounds exactly what happened to the VentureStar. Technology just wasn't advanced enough at the time to deliver, and they unfortunately discovered that only after billions of dollars.

At least that sounds better to me than a bunch of Lockmart/mcdonnell executives thinking of ways to grift the government from the outset.

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 13, 2022

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

How the gently caress Does this even happen

Fell off a transporter.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Herstory Begins Now posted:

They only officially pulled trainers out in january or feb of this year afaik?

Yeah, they were training the UA up until a few weeks before the start of hostilities.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

The literal embodiment of not great, not terrible. I wonder what the dosage rate was before that soil got disturbed.

From when I was at Chernobyl in winter of 2019, i found a picture of a dosimeter from just standing around.

https://imgur.com/a/DphWIkT

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Bored As gently caress posted:

You gotta be a special kind of stupid to pick up anything at, or near a loving nuclear power plant - much less one that had a loving melt down.

The dude was part of a NBC unit too, not some conscript, so theoretically he should have been trained on radiation dangers.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
If we really wanted to, we could quite easily get our Uranium from friendly countries.

One of the world's largest uranium producers is just up north in Canada.

They have one of the highest grade uranium mines on the planet (MacArthur river), and it was shut down until just recently because of the low spot price for uranium.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Kazinsal posted:

Considering the state of the rest of the Russian military's equipment at every level I would be surprised if even 20% of their strategic warheads could successfully detonate.

Not sure about the %, but nuclear warheads DO have an expiration date, after which they fizzle or don't reach their yields.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

slurm posted:

I wonder if you couldn't use drones as sea or land mines, just have them sitting there waiting. Infinite loiter.

How do you power said drone?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Herstory Begins Now posted:

pretty sure you could get a bunch of engineers together and in an afternoon they could design a drone-dropped munition that reliably seeks out an open hatch

For experienced engineers using image recognition, this is trivial to do, since you're looking top down onto the target. The hard part is the hardware and getting the munition to make course adjustments.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
What does it look like to be on the other end of a full grad barrage ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
They're probably also competent tankers, and just needed to be crosstrained to the leo2, not a fresh conscript with no understand of how tanks work.