Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I'm 38 and tired I'm not holding that one against the 80 year old man who sleeps way less than me ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

Also, and this is important, Russia has the world's largest nuclear arsenal. MAD is still a thing. Whether NATO has countries bordering Russia or not, nobody is going to threaten the territorial integrity of a major nuclear power.

The discounting of MAD is worrisome and seems to be treated like 'Oh there's nothing to gain it won't happen'...much like this invasion. It isnt real until it is I guess.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Was this the jerkass russian driver

He's also a binman of the highest order amongst binmen pay drivers hth

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Personally I think not taking it serious that Putin will use nukes, or believing he is bluffing, is really, really not a good move. He's a madman and all signs seem to be he doesn't loving care and rationale doesn't apply. He already invaded after all the talk about bluffing or how there was little to gain, etc...he probably figured he would have been dead by MAD decades ago, the guy isn't playing a game where diplomacy or sanctions can work on him.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

It’s not my job to take it serious. I’d rather not sit around staring out my window waiting on a mushroom cloud, and I’d rather not influence people to sit around and wait for it either.

I'm not suggesting staring out the window, but acting like Putin is a rational actor who won't do this for x y z is so far not working out!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

They're a Ukranians National Guard unit comprised of Neo-Nazis with a very ugly track record who may have been receiving training from the CIA which means we need to ignore that they're Nazis as far as I can tell

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

No no I was sealioning about the CIA being Nazi supporters I thought that was clear

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

It feels like you are implying that the CIA was the reason the Maidan revolution happened rather than the fact that their corrupt Right Wing president was trying to sell them down the river like Belarus just did.

Which, after the Maidan Revolution, the political groups aligned with the Azov Battalion lost votes significantly.

no I'm referring to the reports of the CIA having trained paramilitary groups in Ukraine, of which many have neo-nazi ideologies since 2015, as has been reported in a slew of news reports the last few years hth

I hope you're not somehow conflating that in to I'm in favor of Russia or whatever the gently caress. Nazis everywhere loving suck and the US training up paramilitary groups that may include a UKR Guard unit that is full of Neo-Nazis also sucks. I hope Russia doesn't succeed in rolling UKR and also that every Nazi dies

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 2, 2022

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Well none of that statement is very believable.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

seconding the above on all counts

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

reserving judgement until the people who said that putin won't invade ukraine tell me why actually this declaration of escalation, much like their nuke forces going high alert, doesnt matter

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I get the real dirt from Twitter wine moms with poli sci degrees

On the real though Putin is bonkers so seems like not ruling out the unthinkable is prudent

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

https://twitter.com/jathansadowski/status/1499456982302228482?t=SIL5sxSCBVjSy-ONTPmKpA&s=19

When life imitates sarcastic tweeter

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I trust everyone who wants to see escalation will, if it happens, roger up for their nations armed forces and not have some cool reasons why people other than them need to die

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

https://twitter.com/ASBMilitary/status/1499804332090441732?cxt=HHwWiIC-7f-FsNApAAAA

As a disclaimer for some of you, and can't loving believe this seems prudent to post, but I am NOT PRO RUSSIA. These kind of reports are coming out regularly and hey go figure, Ukraine having a real white supremacy issue this could be bad for ethnic minorities internally

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

I don't think you're pro Russia or anything, but that twitter account has been straight up peddling Russian propaganda as well, so maybe don't cite them specifically?

I also have no doubts that kind of poo poo is happening at the borders and it's incredibly hosed up.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/28/europe/students-allege-racism-ukraine-cmd-intl/index.html

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

real cool hot takes on how incompetent Russia is while they continue to kill civilians in droves and are working on levelling cities

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

drat dude maybe I'm the idiot who doesn't understand laughing it up while people are getting killed left and right then :(

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

sorry, should have clarified, cool 'lol russia is incompetent they're going to lose all their assets' takes in this thread while they're inching towards their objective and the civilian death toll continues to climb. it's the acting like it's a loving joke they're doing so poorly when they're just going apeshit killing people that i find pretty crass

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

If nothing else, maffew's greatest transgression is to have a probation-AV, WHEN THEY'RE NOT EVEN ON PROBATION AT ALL

:colbert:

y'all are good people, and I appreciate that we can even have a civil discussion in this dumb subforum of ours

i had the awesome avatar calling me a racist for referring to overeem as a half breed like 12 years ago before this one from an avatar mix up game :( (note i now know how wrong i was, overeem is a THOROUGHBRED - horse meat type)

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

McNally posted:

You're gonna have to explain to me how this isn't racist because jfc

The MMA threads were a much different place 12 years ago.

So yeah basically it was

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Prop Wash posted:

I know your schtick is white noise shitposting but I'd love to get a few thoughts from you on who is responsible for Viktor Yanukovych.

Does that election not count in your view since the guy later was ousted? Because that election didn't get condemned by the international community unless I am remembering wrong (very possible, inhaled burning trash to keep freedom free)

The dude sucks but he got elected in

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

This is astoundingly inept beyond wildest imagination

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

oh tight seems the de-escalation ship not only sailed but got hit by a salvo and is sunk. gently caress

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

try explaining that and what the follow on results of shooting down said things are to the american public

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

writing a possibility off due to being insane or whatever has definitely not made fools of us all to this point

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

This has been such a debacle of mind bending proportions that the usual metrics used to evaluate and answer your questions may be totally useless. Like, if they're stalled out on advancing and need to establish command and control and 'base' of operations to stage out/dig in for a continued offensive then yeah, you want a FOB, sure. But then there's like, everything else that has happened up to this point so ???

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 10, 2022

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I have to wonder if he'll just say gently caress it and drop a nuke or two at that point.

Yeah this :( It just doesn't seem off the table at all...how do you deal with someone who really, really doesn't loving care?

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 11, 2022

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Considering Putin is a Cold Warrior who might have thought he'd die in a MAD salvo in the 80s I'm not like, super optimistic that this dude will back anything down and sincerely hope I am wrong :(

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Cimber posted:

Pretty much al major media sucks for war reporting, and its sad that i get better reporting in this thread than say, CNN.

Speak for yourself, were it not for MSNBC I wouldn't know that Putin is actually worse than Hitler

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Do Christians believe they get like, extra funbux in heaven for this kind of behavior or converting people or something? I seriously don't know, my parents let me figure religion out on my own (atheist since age 7)

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

lolwhat so they go to the hereafter kingdom of heaven and STILL want to be in a stratified 'I'm better than others' system? ok this isn't on topic but wow learn something new every day

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

this is your brain on nu-metal

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

after reading how Putin won't invade Ukraine for 'reasons' prior to the invasion I absolutely don't think any argument for why Putin won't do crazy thing X should be taken too serious

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

actually the unarmored vehicles are better because they are quicker and have greater mobility

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

There's nothing doomer about acknowledging we're point of no return on climate change and that nothing will be done about it. That's like point out water is wet.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

It also wouldn't be a gigantic shock if they simply pull back from places and start using chemical weapons. So while everyone basically hopes they're goalposting, there could be worse poo poo coming.

time to spin back up the watch on the 'op-eds stating why putin won't do terrible thing because it's illogical' indicator

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

drat very brave of Joe to tell Russia to just Vote Him Out

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Actually Biden isn't a boomer, he's even older! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

on one hand I feel really bad for these kids, many of whom probably come from poverty just like the US military, who have been lied to and abused every step of this invasion by their government but on the other there's karma and they're probably just faking feeling sick