Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

EasilyConfused posted:

At some point there was claim that Finland was also willing, but that turned out to be erroneous reporting based on a bad translation of a statement from a Finnish MP (I think? Might have been an administrative official).

Yeah the parliamentarian in question said something like "if all EU partners agree to transfer Leopards then sure, we will as well". I have no doubt that's true.

Finland won't be able to spare very many though, guessing it would be like a dozen or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Regarding that video, what does Pedars mean?

I think it's pederast, and they're using it in the sense of "motherfucker/bastard/f***t" or something like that

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Computer viking posted:

Wasn't there a translated post from a wagnerite a few weeks back explaining how they weren't humiliated, actually, because a surprising number of them survived?

Hmm, I remember seeing something like that as well. Was able to find these tweets on the topic:

https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1624540493911666690
https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1622891726070226945

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Borscht posted:

New video from the "T" intersection of two UKR tanks engaging RU infantry at EXTREMELY close range featuring a near miss from some sort of anti armor munition.

Text on the video says it was ATGM "Fagot": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9K111_Fagot

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

large hands posted:

Looks like the video of the helicopter that got hit by Patriot in Russian airspace a while back

Wait, there's video of that? Was it confirmed it was Patriot that shot it down?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Last time I'm pretty sure there was absolutely no actual evidence anywhere. The Spiegel article was a bunch of facts, all of which were "there was a boat, some people were on it, it seems likely those people were involved" and nothing at all beyond that, and lots and lots of breathless speculation.

Not sure about the WaPo article, but I remain skeptical

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

PurpleXVI posted:

Kind of surprised they aren't trying to do this to the Baltics as well.

Belarus has been doing this to Poland for years. No doubt Baltics will get it as well

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Huh, Chelyabinsk is apparently something like 1500 km from Ukraine. Wonder if this was sabotage, that's a lot of distance and presumably the place would have been decently guarded

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Finland's defence minister just announced Finland will start sending some artillery ammo to Ukraine, which will help a bit I guess. However, even though Finnish 155 mm production is kinda high for that size country, it's not gonna be enough by itself for sure. I was trying to find out some actual numbers but I'm not sure if Finland is publishing any (didn't before)

Really need the other big EU countries to finally step up with the artillery ammo

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Re F-16s, how would Ukraine ensure that Russia can't just destroy the jets with missile strikes? Are hardened hangars a feasible/usual/recommended answer for this? Does Ukraine have such hangars? Or would it be something completely different, maybe just a bunch of SAMs (which could include Patriots) and/or switching up the airfields they use for the F-16s?

Thinking about it, it seems Ukraine's existing planes haven't suffered massively so far from Russian missile attacks. Not sure exactly why, but my impression is Russia hasn't really tried to destroy the Ukrainian jets on the fields since these older jets can't do that much damage anyway. But this calculus could change when F-16s come online

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

PurpleXVI posted:

Russian security state doing real well at keeping things secure and state-like. Also a great sign when your "liberated" populations start murdering your liberators.

Hmm, I'm not sure if this is a trustworthy source though: "Telegram channel Kremlin Snuffbox said on Tuesday"

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Tuna-Fish posted:

The claimed location is just barely within reach of a Patriot missile fired from Ukrainian-held territory, but that would involve moving a very expensive and critical strategic asset to a place that's really much less safe than I'd be comfortable with.

Would this be the longest range missile Ukraine has? According to Wikipedia SAMP/T has basically the same range.

The Russian S-300 apparently has missiles with 200 km or even 400 km range, I'm not sure how true those claims are though. Also Ukraine I guess wouldn't have the newest and greatest missile variants for them anyway.

What's the longest range SAM that NATO countries have?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

I'm surprised it's taken Ukraine this long to target Russia's oil export infrastructure.

All the western countries have extracted from Ukraine a promise to not use the really good western tech on targets inside Russia proper, for fear of escalation. Also the western kit Ukraine has doesn't quite have a super long range anyway, some Ukrainian strikes have been on targets like 700 km from the Ukraine-Russia border.

It has taken a while, I guess, for Ukraine to create long-range drones by themselves that they can use for these long range strikes.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

PurpleXVI posted:

I don't really buy the "hope of being open to peace"-thing because as far as I can tell the Russian population by and large don't want peace, they want victory, so I don't get why Putin would care about that distant minority.

Isn't that the point? Putin doesn't actually care, but he wants to pretend to care, so that people will more easily continue to be delusional about how peace is right around the corner (if only the evil homo nazis of Nato would agree to it etc etc)

With someone like Putin, you always need to keep in mind that his actual personal goals are one thing and what he wants people to believe is a completely different thing

e: also another technique of his is sending many different messages to people at the same time, so that they all have something they can hear and be happy about, in this case even the "I just want peace" crowd got something they like to hear, not just the "Ukraine has always been Russia" crowd

jaete fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Feb 10, 2024

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

PurpleXVI posted:

The full version is also pretty cool.

What the gently caress is going on with that... map? I guess it has to be a map. But of which planet? :thunk:

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Ok let's see, here's an actual map:

Now in the weird emblem map, posting it again here just for reference:

They've got... Japan, Mongolia, China, Kazakhstan, sure...

Then south and west of Kazakhstan... ???

West of Russia = ???

No I don't actually understand anything at all

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

orange juche posted:

Yeah, hitting something on the water at anything above a glass calm sea state is loving brutal. Your platform is moving, their platform is moving, even if you're rock steady you're talking about feet of movement up/down/side to side every couple seconds.

One of our big concerns with small suicide boat attacks was that unless we were shooting at the small boats with a computer-aided platform, we just weren't going to hit them at the rate they were moving. Also, if you hit them, what the gently caress good would it do? Short of taking out exposed crew if it is a manned vessel, you're not going to disable the vessel except by hitting the engine block somehow, and that's a small fucker in something moving very fast.

Would it make sense to hit these drone boats with some kind of guided missile? If they're within say 5 km of the big ship, that seems like a possible range for something like a TOW. The boat is (maybe? not sure) visible with a heat detector sensor so should be targetable; a bunch of high explosive might work better than bullets. Don't know how accurate any of that is, just thinking out loud.

Ukraine's drone boats seem to cost about $200-250k USD according to random googling, TOW missiles apparently are $100k each, Javelins twice that. Hmm

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Antigravitas posted:

I would put SMART or BONUS like projectiles into dispensers akin to smoke dispensers. On a signal the round ejects on a highly parabolic arc towards the drone boat, then sends an EFP down. That way you avoid dealing with waves, and I don't care what your boat is made out of, an EFP has enough kinetic energy to gently caress it up.

How much would each round cost?

The boats will be moving kinda swiftly, how does that impact accuracy? Need to get the round exactly above the boat, then would the EFP have to like lead it a bit, or?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I really wish Americans would protest legit BS like Europeans do.

Now now, not all Europeans are like that! For example in the UK there haven't been any significant protests about anything in 40 years. In fact the government recently made protesting that could cause inconvenience to anyone anywhere completely illegal, just to make sure. :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Nuclear War posted:

I obviously can't share details about the training or the people who come to us, other than that many are some of the best I've met. Men and women who signed up to defend their homes, are making the best of it, and will do whatever they need to do to be able to go home.

I'm completely unqualified to talk about this, but I've watched a couple interviews with foreign volunteers who have actually been on the front lines in Ukraine, and my takeaway is that yeah it's traumatic as hell. Especially with this kind of war where something like 80% of all casualties are artillery and similar where it's super sudden and you don't even see it coming. Shell shock is a real thing.

The interviews I saw were with Finnish dudes, on YouTube, and just now I notice there's no subtitles of any kind available, usually YouTube would auto-generate subtitles in multiple languages. Oh well. (Of course there's gonna be similar stuff available by English speakers, I just haven't seen it)

Don't have an actual point other than war sucks, it's poo poo, gently caress Putin