Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
Novaya Gazeta, one of the few remaining mostly-independent news sources in Russia, is presenting an overview of the conflict to visually represent the invasion's progress. It says this is based on official sources, but not which, though I would guess Ukrainian since the organization has had trouble with the Russian government in the past.

https://novayagazeta.ru/articles/2022/02/24/spetsialnaia-voennaia-operatsiia-na-territorii-ukrainy-interaktivnaia-karta

Red circle: Populated areas subjected to bombardment and gunfire
Red square: populated areas with active armed confrontation
Black square: areas where Ukraine acknowledges a loss of control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Naked Bear posted:

Who would take over in Russia if Putin were ousted as a result of this fiasco?

No one's really certain. Putin's been in power for so long that he's become somewhat synonymous with the Russian government, and his "likely successor" has changed several times. It probably wouldn't be anyone from an opposition party though, and based on history you can narrow down the list by looking at members of Putin's inner circle who aren't bald.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

I read somewhere that a better translation of the snake island response was "Russian war ship, go jump on a dick" so kinda sounds like that's the rallying cry.

That's more of a word for word translation, "Go gently caress yourself" or "get hosed" or just "gently caress you" is the more common English equivalent.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/ArmyJew/status/1497594565695614982

I am extremely surprised at how Russia, a country with the enduring national myth of an effective and omnipotent intelligence apparatus, could do badly underestimate the capabilities and morale of the Ukrainian army, its civilian leadership and the people.

Remember how in the lead up to Iraq any US intel agency that came back with "Saddam isn't developing WMDs" got told to go get a different answer? Similar story.

Softface fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 26, 2022

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Umm yeah that’s actually what I thought when I first read it. Also Chernobog is an awesome name.

Chernobog is (supposedly, written records are sparse at best) one of the evil gods from pre-Christian Slavic mythology, mixing cherno (black) and bog (god).

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Mirconium posted:

Does anyone know/have a citation for the history of Ukraine vs The Ukraine thing? I find it to be a really weird thing to have come around as a sticking point in conversations over Ukrainian sovereignty because neither Russian nor Ukrainian have any grammar defining definite vs indefinite articles. It's why native Russian speakers who are learning English constantly drop both definite and indefinite articles from speech. (Like privately I question if it would even occur to a native east-slavic speaker to ponder the political implications of grammar of this type)

The Ukraine is referring to it as though it's a region of something else, think like the Midwest, the north east, and the like. Without the article, it's acknowledging it as a sovereign entity. It's not perfect, obviously, since there are several notable exceptions, but you wouldn't say the Germany or the France, would you?

Funnily enough, there is an analogous situation in Russian with prepositions в and на! They can be messy and mean different things in different contexts, but в is used to refer to countries (and many other things, but just countries for this), while на is used for large areas, regions, and islands. Just like with "the" it's not totally clear-cut, since they use в for Japan and на for Cuba, but as Ukraine is not an island nation, в would be the proper preposition to use. This brings up another interesting fact, which is that in the 90s, after the fall of the Soviet Union, it was accepted practice throughout Russia to use в when talking about Ukraine, acknowledging that it was an independent territory, but in the past decade the usage of на for Ukraine returned to common practice, especially in state media.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/annavellikok/status/1499402876988248065?s=20&t=1CpTHgBsCgIrcq1oB3ccLw

For context: Swan Lake was used as airtime filler during the attempted coup against Gorbachev. Could mean some very big things are happening within the government, could be nothing, but I don't think Channel 1 would be broadcasting it just for fun, considering the baggage associated with it.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Putin has loving lost it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/03/04/putin-russia-ukraine-normalization-sanctions/

He even argued that Russia would benefit by developing new skills.

“We will just have to move some projects a little to the right, to acquire additional competencies. But we will still solve the problems that we face,” he said. “In the end, we will even benefit from this because we will acquire additional competencies.”

He said almost the exact same poo poo in 2014 after the first round of sanctions when he announced the initial import replacement policy. As you can see, Russia has been doing great, even thriving, under sanctions, and this will be just as effective.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

psydude posted:

The 2014 sanctions were barely sanctions. We quite literally froze their foreign currency reserves this time around.

And yet they created definite shortages which the Russian domestic industry couldn't meet, and which pushed Putin and his circle to tighten the noose around the Russian economy to push out foreign investment while enriching Putin and his circle.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

The ultimate sign of defeat: Russia's MoD is protecting their tweets.

https://twitter.com/annavellikok/status/1500193406403989508?s=20&t=trCvrb9oUgJLUmwm162W9Q

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/remilitari/status/1502012187627433986?s=20&t=sOJ-5aWdRbqvo78lcAKPuQ

Spokesman's statement is total nonsense, of course, but I feel this is priming the pump domestically to justify employing bio or chem weapons.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

russian state media saying the ship sank seriously damaged due to a fire detonating ammunition on the ship, but the crew was completely evacuated

https://twitter.com/tass_agency/status/1514378082660069379

Bold move to go with "it wasn't enemy action, we're just incompetent."

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Nuclear Tourist posted:

While the headline makes it sound like they're about to murder someone, it doesn't seem like there's a whole lot more to that story than the usual garden variety Russian antisemitism combined with the regime trying to break up yet another organization that's not 100% overtly pro-Kremlin.

They most likely could have chosen a better translation than "liquidation," like "abolish." Not that I'd put it past the Russian government at this point, I just think they'd start with a lower-profile organization.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

https://www.reuters.com/world/russia-tells-us-it-is-suspending-inspections-under-start-weapons-treaty-2022-08-08/

As a consequence of sanctions (allegedly) and in something that affects me professionally, Russia is "temporarily" declaring all its installations as off-limits for New START inspections.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Between 19 and 59? That's some prime barrel scraping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

how do you even pronounce Rosgvardia

Ros-guh-vardia like g in graphics

or Ros-juh-vardia like the j in graphics

"Ros" - like the Friends character

"Gvar" - like GWAR but with a V instead of a W

"Diya" - like diva, but with a Y instead of a V.