Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Suicide Watch posted:

Telling how there isnt a Nickel Grass degree of resupply going on here. It’s like the Biden admin has already conceded

When you have what is considered by most observers to be a non-rational actor in control of a large military force as well as the largest nuclear arsenal in the world, directly flying pallets of aid into a country that likely doesn't have any functional airstrips as of today is probably not wise. It's also literally D+1, everyone's still trying to figure out what in the gently caress is going on in the fog of war, which is a very real thing still with the amount of bogus info flying around online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wonder if that was the "Ghost of Kyiv", hope not, but Aces don't live long a lot of the time.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

They made it too lol, ahead of time even.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nuclear War posted:

Im not buying that there's a lone dude shooting down Russian planes left and right with a relevant and poignant nickname. like, its good propaganda but it seems extremely unlikely.

I'm kind of wondering how Ukraine is getting any aircraft up in the air, I guess certain Soviet era aircraft can operate from unimproved airfields but there is definitely a limit to your capabilities if all you can send up is stuff that can launch/land on a grass strip.

Also yeah especially with all of the noise going around I have my doubts about a single dude merking over a half dozen aircraft and continuing to rack up kills when Russia has the level of air superiority it does. Good propaganda, but I'm definitely skeptical on kill counts or even the defender being the same pilot. It's a good plucky underdog story, but I'm doubtful about how true it is.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Something definitely got hit or disturbed big time by the reactors, didn't they say that there were explosives or something used in the vicinity of ChNPP?

orange juche fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 25, 2022

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ukrainian Soldier Blew Up Bridge and Himself to Stop Advance of Russian Troops, Kyiv Says

quote:

A Ukrainian servicemember blew himself up to stop Russian tanks from advancing over a bridge out of Crimea, Ukraine’s military says. Vitaly Skakun was part of a marine infantry battalion fighting to fend off a column of Russian tanks at the Henichesk bridge in the Kherson region. The Ukrainian troops had made the decision to blow up the bridge, and Skakun took the initiative to carry out the mission, Ukraine’s General Staff said. “The bridge was mined, but he didn’t manage to get away from there. According to his brothers in arms, Vitaly got in touch [with them] and said he was going to blow up the bridge. Immediately after an explosion rang out,” the military said. Skakun died at the scene but the military hailed him for “significantly slowing down the advancement of the enemy,” which allowed his fellow troops to regroup and deploy defenses. Military commanders said they are working to award Skakun with posthumous honors for his “heroic act.” “Russian occupiers, know that the ground will burn under your feet!” the General Staff said.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I'm uncertain how much, if at all, I trust the info coming from cspam, so I won't share anything. I do hope that what is being posted regarding the situation is propaganda and things aren't as bad in Kiev, but I guess time will tell.

Things are bad in Kyiv, but the military and the populace's morale is high according to social media, which bodes ill for anyone expecting to subjugate Ukraine any time soon. They're going to make Russia pay for every inch, and insurgencies can be very, very effective, just ask the Taliban.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Xakura posted:

As several people have pointed out, 65535 is the max value of a 16 bit int, so it's a bit of a

moment

Yeah I thought about that, thinking "that seems a little low for the intensity of fighting that was described as happening there" Absolutely huge 3.6 Roentgen energy.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Isn't that a legal ruse of war?

It's a violation of the Hague Convention of 1907, Article 4, Section II, Chapter I, Subarticle 23

quote:

Art. 23.
In addition to the prohibitions provided by special Conventions, it is especially forbidden -

To employ poison or poisoned weapons;

To kill or wound treacherously individuals belonging to the hostile nation or army;

To kill or wound an enemy who, having laid down his arms, or having no longer means of defence, has surrendered at discretion;

To declare that no quarter will be given;

To employ arms, projectiles, or material calculated to cause unnecessary suffering;

To make improper use of a flag of truce, of the national flag or of the military insignia and uniform of the enemy, as well as the distinctive badges of the Geneva Convention;

To destroy or seize the enemy's property, unless such destruction or seizure be imperatively demanded by the necessities of war;

To declare abolished, suspended, or inadmissible in a court of law the rights and actions of the nationals of the hostile party. A belligerent is likewise forbidden to compel the nationals of the hostile party to take part in the operations of war directed against their own country, even if they were in the belligerent's service before the commencement of the war.

quote:

Art. 24.
Ruses of war and the employment of measures necessary for obtaining information about the enemy and the country are considered permissible.

A ruse of war is permitted specifically for gathering information/recon, you cannot conduct sabotage or fight under the enemy's flag. If you are caught or apprehended fighting under an enemy flag, it is lawful for them to summarily execute you rather than take you as a POW.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 26, 2022

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

That's some freedom fries energy right there.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I wonder if capturing Chernobyl was something to do with this. Just crack the case and let nature do the rest.

Unlikely, far more likely the capture of Chernobyl was more to do with the power substation still located in the area, as well as securing a road route for movement of equipment and personnel out of Belarus. Also have to remember to take things with a grain of salt, breathless extreme hyperbolic tweets are liable to be propaganda bullshit.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Also on the reports of downed IL76s, decent chance to be propaganda bullshit unless there's video of a burning IL76 falling out of the sky, since a shootdown of one of those aircraft would be a big propaganda coup. It's really hard to hide 130 tons of aircraft hitting the ground and third party intel would have likely confirmed the downing of those aircraft if they crashed, because satellite imagery would have shown it. Not saying Ukrainian twitter is lying about IL-76 shootdowns, just, be cautious about taking it at its word.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I thought there was confirmation from the US?

If the US has confirmed a shootdown, then yeah they probably got shot down then. When I saw the tweets it hadn't been substantiated by a third party yet.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ukraine has claimed something wild like 5 or more IL-76s or something since this kicked off, there should be an absolute poo poo ton of photo proof that can have the metadata verified of these shoot downs. I'd be cautious even trusting the AP in a fog of war situation unless they disclose their sources for their report. Everyone's after clicks and engagement because Ukraine is the hottest scoop on the planet right now, and if you can rush to post the headline first you get that engagement.

This is the first war in a long time that has had a clear-cut "Bad Guy" and so everyone is breathlessly reporting on it, even moreso than usual.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 27, 2022

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

To be clear, didn't mean to poo poo on anyone's reporting of stuff coming out of twitter, its just that this is also one of the first wars where everyone on the outside looking in has realized the value of OSINT, but potentially not the pitfalls of OSINT possibly being fabricated. War's brand new, nobody *still* knows what's going on, beyond the broadest level of "poo poo is not going the way Russia expected."

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I got put in Twitter jail for tweeting at Putin that he should “eat poo poo and die”. :(

Actually you're a pretty cool IK.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

poo poo, aren’t those loaded exclusively with cruise missiles? Unless Ukraine has things to intercept (unlikely) or some “Ukrainian” jets step in, this is gonna be bad.

Russia has lobbed a lot of cruise missiles into Ukraine in the last few days, this is just yet another strike.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

With the range of the missiles, and how visible and slow those things are, it feels like a dare for the RAF typhoons to try something and bring NATO in.

No NATO country is going to risk escalation over a cruise missile strike. Don't mean to pour cold water on things there but nobody's going to escalate to direct conflict between NATO and Russia unless Russia swings first, and it's a deliberate attack.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The MOEX is gonna hit the breakers in about 7 seconds after opening

7? That's highly optimistic. I give it 5.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Somehow this made me think of Scott Steiner math

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFoC3TR5rzI

Maybe because Scott Steiner lost lol

orange juche fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 2, 2022

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

stealie72 posted:

Uh. Ok.

What?

i think he's saying that the Ukrainians should just give up and let the Russians win, because it's the choice with the least potential wartime casualties. (Nevermind the Russians visiting Holodomor upon the Ukrainian populace again and half the Ukrainian population dying, in order to ensure obediance to the Russian state)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Thats one hell of a fire.

need some really big marshmallows.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have no military knowledge. How ridiculous is the Russian loss of equipment up to this point? I don't have anything to compare it to, so I have no sense of the order of magnitude.

It's wild, and even if the casualty figures are 50% overinflated, it's already running a close second place to the 20 years long count of the US during Iraq/Afghanistan. If the casualty figures are anywhere close to accurate, then it's already outstripped GWOT.

E: actually, no I was wrong. If you count all US troop KIA/MIA in Iraq and Afghanistan, you get 6,832. Russia isn't there yet, but they're getting a pretty brisk start.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 2, 2022

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

madeintaipei posted:

*looks down at control unit*

Which fire mode is that, exactly?

Top attack probably, want to get some elevation first.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/loogunda/status/1498804403658178563

War is the mother of ingenuity.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

They won't be, as part of the thing to being welcomed into NATO is solving border disputes first.

Did you mean the EU?

There's a waiver for everything.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

stealie72 posted:

Some of the psychic damage kf the last 5 years is my wondering sometimes if there even is a rule of law anymore. Does some stuff written on paper that has been followed for xx years matter now that we no longer have a shared reality?

Rule of law assumes that everyone is a rational actor. Once you discard that notion, things get a lot nastier.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BrotherJayne posted:

There are supposed to be sheets of kontakt-5 between the thingies, and the thingies hold them at the optimal position and distance in the bag.

The ERA sheets seem to be missing tho

Explains why ATGMs are absolutely wrecking the gently caress out of the Russian tank forces. Their ERA is missing the ER part.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

seems pretty significant to the argument I am seeing a few people make that this was means that the day of the MBT is over

these basically aren't MBTs anymore, given they are have been stripped of such a large amount of the tank to that tank

Yeah I was going to say, the ERA, if it existed, should have been able to defeat stuff like an NLAW or a Carl Gustaf, or even a Javelin in direct attack mode. But if the ERA is missing from the sides and top of the tank, then the charges on those will go through like 2 feet of rolled steel and turn the insides of the tank into molten hell. Guess Western observers are going to get less useful data on how well their weapons systems work on Russian tank designs than they thought, due to rampant corruption in the Russian military.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Marshal Prolapse posted:

KA-52 had a bad day (no dead bodies). I took this off of Telegram so obviously I can’t verify.

Helicopters lust for pilot death. MANPADs help helicopters achieve this goal much faster.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wickerman posted:

Russian tank destroyed by a mine outside Luhansk. Apparently you can see a Russian on fire near the end of the video, so NMS:

:nms: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CbITM_wA5uc/ :nms:

the navy term for that is a "Screaming Alpha"

quote:

Navy slang for people engulfed in flames, often running around screaming; so-termed because burning men and women fit into the class-A/class-Alpha fires (those involving solid, natural combustibles and which leave ashes).

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 17, 2022

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Tuna-Fish posted:

Just to be clear, the earth-shattering kaboom is the ammo inside the tank. Javelin alone will just punch a neat hole and spray some supersonic molten metal into the tank, not blow it all to hell. But all Russian tanks conveniently have their ammo supply as two piece ammunition spread out on the turret floor, and that poo poo meeting the aforementioned spray of supersonic molten metal will result in the tank spreading across the landscape.

I will say that I feel sorry for any tanker in a Russian MBT that catches one of these things, but watching a dismembered turret fly 50 feet into the air after their ammo load cooks off is still amusing to me.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Raged posted:

I have a feeling a Polish peacekeeping mission would look a lot different than a US one. Like, kill every Russian that moves different.

Yeah certain factions in Poland have made no hiding of their willingness to just shoot any Russian they find if they wind up getting involved in direct conflict. A Polish "peacekeeping" mission would wind up being "shoot them all, let God sort them out"

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Yeah.... sounds like a tac-nuke to me. I hope not.

Putin is crazy but he's not stupid. NSNW are definitely something in the Russian doctrine, but he is still getting some info from outside of his little circle of sycophants, and somewhere in his brain is rattling around the knowledge of what would happen if he decides to uncork sunshine.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

There's film footage from the 60s of a Chinese nuclear test wherein after the bomb goes off literal cavalry rides into the blast wave on horseback with gas masks on.

I'm imagining something similar to that.

Didn't the US do something similar except with infantry forces during a test?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Reason I think nukes wont be used is there's only one possible source for nuclear weapons in this conflict right now, and that is Russia, it can't be false-flagged away, and nuclear weapons have not been utilized in anger since 1945 and nobody is quite sure what will happen if they are. However, chem/bio remains a threat, and Russia definitely has stockpiles of chem/bio weapons, and a demonstrated willingness to use them, for example, Syria.

They also know or think they know what will happen if they pull out chem weapons, based on the international response to their use in Syria, which was fuckall. Will that be the same case in Ukraine? Who the gently caress knows, Ukraine has a really good PR game, compared to the Syrian rebels, so there's a better shot of international intervention on behalf of Ukraine if Russia uses unconventional weaps, but I wouldn't count on it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

Can’t lose troops to urban warfare if the city’s demolished. :head tap.gif:

Is it still urban if it's now a pile of rubble with snipers and atgm teams behind everything that can give the slightest amount of cover?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Hahahaha fuuuuuuuck

https://gcaptain.com/ship-engine-makers-cut-russia-ties/

Finland’s Wartsila, a leading ship engine maker, has suspended business with Russia including equipment training while German counterpart MAN Energy Solutions is reviewing contracts, adding further trade pressure on Moscow.

Russia will just frame it as defending themselves from your destructive talents.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Who'd they get today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

e: never mind, that was the previous guy

I didn't know that the one who got ran over by his own tanks yesterday wasn't killed outright but died at the hospital. Shoulda backed up to finish the job, but i could also see merit for not doing that if they really hated the guy.