Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hey if any of y'all weren't mad this morning, read this letter:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I should say this afternoon I don't give a gently caress that traitorous piece of poo poo continues to profiteer against the nation that is still paying him a loving pension. Flynn pisses me off so god damned much.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sentinel posted:

Well this press conference is taking a while to start.

It's two minutes late so far, which is understandable given that the president is about to come talk about a war that was just started and is very much still ongoing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The ASL interpreter from the WH loving owns.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Naked Bear posted:

She's certainly very animated!

She's gotta convey the tone, and I think she's doing it well.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I'm uncertain how much, if at all, I trust the info coming from cspam, so I won't share anything. I do hope that what is being posted regarding the situation is propaganda and things aren't as bad in Kiev, but I guess time will tell.

Reminder that this was the tankie thought process:

When the USA came out months ago and said “Russia is staging troops to invade Ukraine” they said that the US and NATO was trying to force Russia into a war by saying stuff like that.

In the past few weeks when everyone outside of Russia was saying russian invasion was imminent, they again said adamantly there would be no invasion and that this was NATO trying to force Russia into an attack plus Ukraine is ran by nazis installed after a NATO backed coup.

When Russia actually invaded they were shocked and again blamed NATO for forcing Russia’s hand. At no point could anything be blamed on Russia. Then Tenement Funster poo poo all over them for a couple hours for being idiots and mods banned making fun of tankies for all their pre-invasion horseshit.

You have to remember that within c-spam there are ironic tankies and actual tankies that believe whatever RT puts out. The place is a good news aggregator, but holy poo poo some of the takes in there are nuts.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I think to an extent this is true, almost nobody outside NATO hawk circles thought Putin was dumb enough to take the bait. In the last couple weeks it seemed like there was a huge shift in tone with Zilensky when he started to be like "okay calm down" when like the Atlantic council kept predicting the attack several times per week and it started to impact the economy, and even Biden and UK/German officials seemed to change the tone to one that was more even until the last minute when Putin suddenly started those bizarre press conferences.

Of course that's pretty much entirely on Putin, I don't think there's really much anyone besides him could have reasonably done in the last couple months besides totally roll over that would have prevented an invasion. Putin's actions plus his unwillingness to compromise put him in this situation.

Though it seems really poorly planned, like Putin has some sort of chessmaster plan dreamed up in his head that ran into reality and prompted him to order the invasion instead.

NATO did not in any way force Putin's hand here. There are literal NATO countries on the border with Russia and none have ever attempted to do anything to Russia because outside of defending against their bullshit, no one really cares.

Ukraine has been under assault by Russia since they took Crimea and started propping up their "rebels" in the breakaway regions. Putin very clearly started amassing his troops months ago and prepped for the invasion. All intelligence indicated they were prepping to invade. I'm sure that we had actual messages either from Russia or their allies that communicated with us that they were planning on invading. One of their foreign ministers even said that they were invading on Feb 22 and 4 am (they did 2 days later). Putin's video announcing the start of the invasion was recorded three days before the invasion itself.

This was a long planned operation. Now, if you want to say that part of Putin's motivation is to create a buffer between himself and NATO, that argument might hold water if it weren't for fact that there are already NATO nations outside of Russia and this action is going to drive more countries to join NATO.

This is 100% Putin's war. No one forced his hand. He very clearly has stated he thinks that Ukraine should not exist as an independent polity and is working toward that end.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

aphid_licker posted:

Zhirinovski isn't a foreign minister but that makes the apparent fact that he seems to have known the invasion date that far back all the more baffling. That is def a tantalizing little detail that I can't wrap my head around.

I misunderstood who he was, and that's on me. Thank you for the correction.

It's not baffling at all when you remember that Russia did all of this very much in the open. There's a reason everyone has been screaming "russia is about to invade ukraine"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Yes, that's what I said?

It's still surprising because it's an incredibly stupid move on Putin's part.

Implying that there was "bait" for Putin to take removes his agency for this action. It means that he would not have invaded Ukraine but for "taking the bait."

There was no trap set up by NATO here. That's what I was responding to primarily in your post.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also the Kremlin has agreed to talk to Kyiv. No question whether that will be productive, but it's the first conversation since before invasion.

https://twitter.com/Fxhedgers/status/1497213233798647819

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

McNally posted:

I ran the signs through Google Translate and got the following results:

"ON THE COCK"

"ON THE gently caress AGAIN"

"TO RUSSIA
FOR gently caress"

I think the proper english translation is
GO gently caress YOURSELF
GO gently caress YOURSELF AGAIN
TO RUSSIA
GO gently caress YOURSELF

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It’s head spinning how some threads on this forum have declared the Russians have already won while others are saying Russia is completely stymied. Twitter accounts claiming the same image of captured soldiers are russian and ukranian.

It’s hard to discern what’s really going on.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Naked Bear posted:

Belarus joining the war.

Got a source?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Arven posted:

Has anyone else had the realization that if all of this was happening during Trump that we'd know the hourly thoughts of every member of the administration since the very beginning because none of them could stop tweeting or talking to reporters? And that even if by some miracle the Trump administration had done 100% the same actions that Biden has taken, the whole thing would be a million times more stressful and less likely to succeed as a result?

I still hate Biden, but JFC this crisis really illustrates why you need actual professionals in government and can't just put your son-in-law in charge.

The Trump White House would be in open support of Putin's actions regardless of whatever the rest of the world says/does. I'm sure Flynn would be involved in an official capacity.

I don't think the world's reactions would be as strong without the US response, either.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CBJSprague24 posted:

I find it interesting that, other than his genius comment on that podcast and speech at CPAC, he's been completely muted about this publicly. His handlers are probably smart enough to know that him publicly waxing poetic about his BFF is prime attack ad fodder for literally everyone else.

The people closest to trump are happier than anyone else that he doesn't have access to twitter on his phone anymore.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Milo and POTUS posted:

Weren't the skies in the east full of drones after 2014, for both sides even. Why do they seem to be making so little use of them

effective anti drone technology might be part of it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

https://twitter.com/NTarnopolsky/status/1498358635847639040

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hannibal Rex posted:

Worrying this wasn't the Russians but Azov - but they probably have better things to do right now, and creating such a narrative would be precisely what Russian saboteurs might have been ordered to do, to galvanize support against the "Nazis". Just stating the obvious, I guess.

Previous reporting from her indicated the Russians were responsible, but that has not been substantiated. We're stuck waiting for more info.

I don't think that Ukrainians are setting up false flags. What's more likely is that Russia fired on people trying to flee the city.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

RFC2324 posted:

this seems really bad

israel isn't known for allowing things like this to go unpunished, are they?

https://twitter.com/NTarnopolsky/status/1498362123692515334

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

This map:

is from here: https://liveuamap.com/

There's fighting along the Moldova/Ukraine border that is confirmed by the Israeli death. He wasn't killed outside of Kyiv. He was killed at the border.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Looks like it was Ukranian guards.

https://twitter.com/NTarnopolsky/status/1498369953891762179

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

carrionman posted:

Where are the drat drones? I seem to recall they used them heavily in Crimea, the recent shitshow with Armenia showed how good they can be and now nothing?

It really does feel like a war run by someone who stopped paying attention 20 years ago, unencrypted comms unsupported tanks, just God drat.

Russia has taken the american way of life to the extreme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy50nUYyTKM

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I hope that this war is over soon and that everyone works together to repair the damage done to both Ukraine and Russia by one madman's actions.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

https://twitter.com/jason_corcoran/status/1498343208094478354

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

aphid_licker posted:

I mean this is a huge danger. Imagine what you're feeling as in increasingly stressed out Putin or general as you watch a cargo plane or truck convoy full of stingers/javs trundle in.

Putin always has the option of packing it in and going home. The choice is his alone.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

FYI - if you leave "automatically parse URLs' checked, your post will add [url] to twitter and they will get embedded. Putting spoiler tags around them does nothing. You have to make sure they do not have the [url] tag.

For example:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/922321981

https://twitter.com/dril/status/922321981

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1498638623125774339

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

According to Russia, he’s the rightful leader ousted by the NATO backed nazi coup in 2014.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

On the Azov topic - we are fully aware they are bad people and that it was dumb to arm bad people.

Russia did not invade because of Azov, though. Russia invaded to take over large chunks of Ukraine so that they have full control of access to Crimea including fresh water supply. Putin does not believe that Ukraine should exist as a completely separate polity, and his secondary goal is to install a compliant regime like the one that got ousted and replaced by a democratically elected government in 2014. The number of nazis in the Ukraine parliament has actually decreased since then.

Russia doesn’t give a gently caress about white supremacist fascists because their ranks are also filled with white supremacist fascists. Putin is one of the biggest global supporter of white supremacist fascism.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

McGavin posted:

Here's Putin with his buddies:

The bald guy on the right is Dmitry Utkin, founder of the Wagner Group.

Here's Dmitry without a shirt:

Computer, enhance:

Nice Reichsadler, bro.

To that point, I don't think everyone in the Russian army is a nazi. Most of them are idiot kids who thought they were gonna get a paycheck for training exercises and are in WAY over their heads (as seen by videos of them breaking down when offered food, comfort, and a chance to call their mom to tell them they're alive).

The whole "UKRAINE IS NAZIS" thing, though, is deeply magnified by Russian propaganda. While there is a kernel of truth to it, it is greatly overblown and ALL of eastern Europe is lousy with white supremacists. Hell, the USA is lousy with em and has been since before it was a nation. That isn't why Putin ordered the invasion.

I fully stand by what I said before - one Putin is gone and this war is called off, both nations need A LOT of humanitarian aid. Both nations are wrecked because of this invasion.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There are no winners here. Everyone involved is going to be worse off when it is all said and done. War is hell, and no one should be cheering for death.

We can all hope for a quick end to hostilities, but it seems short of complete and total surrender of Ukraine to Russian dominance or Putin getting whacked that the pain everyone is feeling will continue for a long time.

I think this poo poo is going to drag on for a while, unfortunately.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

aphid_licker posted:

Aren't Sweden and Finland covered by that EU military mutual defense thing?

There’s a mutual Scandinavian defense pact for sure.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Saw something in one of the other threads that was russian reports that it was an explosion at an ammo facility or something like that but they explicitly said it was an accident and not a missile.

Also, this is news (from a couple hours ago)

https://twitter.com/HenryJFoy/status/1499679745012871171

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Border patrol cops being racist? Say it ain't so!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Or the absolute worst case scenario - Israel invades Ukraine under auspice of denazification.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Tiny Timbs posted:

I saw a goon posting that if anyone were going to violate the ceasefire it would be Ukraine, because Russia does these all the time. So much for that.

I see no reason to expect that carving off half of Ukraine in exchange for a Russian pullout would be anything but a temporary reprieve. They’re out for genocide.

Not genocide - total compliance. They want a compliant ruler in charge who will do exactly what they say. Putin doesn't want to kill all Ukrainians. He wants them subservient to him.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

https://www.reuters.com/world/kremlin-says-russian-military-action-will-stop-moment-if-ukraine-meets-2022-03-07/

Russia is offering terms that were kinda in the realm of possibility a few weeks ago so while I doubt it’ll end soon the fact they may actually want to negotiate is a pretty big change.

They're not offering terms. They're demanding complete surrender which was identical to what they demanded before invading.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Russia's demands from the start were to cede large chunks of Ukraine to Russia, stand down the military, submit to Russian dominion over domestic affairs, and promise to never do anything that might change said dominion. It was a non-starter then and is still now.

Complete capitulation and surrender to hostile invaders when said aggressors have a storied history of bad faith action would be a bad idea.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Obviously they’re unreasonable but that’s a huge walk back from demanding regime change.

How is "Zelensky can stay as president in name but we will have a russian picked prime minister running things" not regime change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Christ I’m just saying they’re already walking back demands and no longer demanding complete surrender and everyone’s first grandchild to start the negotiation. It’s an interesting development that they may actually start to acknowledge they cannot win.

Are we going to keep getting mad if we don’t explicitly say “Russia bad” at least five times every post.

They haven't changed their position at all, is what I'm saying. They're offering nothing new.

It's not about saying Russia bad - its about calling out obvious bad faith as obvious bad faith. I'm not saying you are acting in bad faith, but Russia certainly is as demonstrated by all of their actions thus far.