Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Welcome to the NTT IndyCar Series 2022 Thread! Same mediocre taste, different thread ID! This is the last year of the 2.2L TTV6 engine formula, before they bump displacement to 2.4L and add a hybrid starter/generator, so no more calling for a truck when it's a simple spin n' stall! For this year though, it should be action packed, with lots of championship contenders on the line.

Discord/IRC
Discord: https://discord.gg/kg3d2Uu
#ics on irc.synirc.net

The Road to Indy
IndyCar features the Road to Indy ladder system, which provides a defined path for up-and-coming open-wheel racers to reach the top. Several IndyCar teams run teams in the lower series as well. Many of these series race on the same weekend as IndyCar as support races.

- IndyCar Minor Leagues, many of the current IndyCar drivers are Indy Lights graduates.

- Bottom rung of the ladder, usually first step after pro-karting.

USAC Silver Crown / Midgets - While not officially part of the Road to Indy Ladder, many current and former open wheel drivers got their start in sprint cars. Support your local dirt track!!!

Twitter
who cares twitter is terrible but it's not hard to find drivers/teams

Subscribe to Peacock for practice and qualifying streaming.

IndyCar on Radio

The Indianapolis Motor Speedway Radio Network is the radio home for IndyCar races throughout the season. Races can also be heard on Sirius Channel 212 or XM 209.

Previous Threads
Indycar 2021: Rest in Peace, Robin
Indycar 2020: All hail our new Penske overlords
Indycar 2019: The Worstest Thread
IndyCar 2018: Get well soon, Wickens
IndyCar 2017: A bunch of different names
IndyCar 2016: A Series as Recognizable as its Champion
IndyCar 2015: It's in Jeopardy!
Indycar 2014: Formula Juan
Indiecar Series 2013: You Probably Haven't Heard of It
IndyCar Series 2012: NASCAR Refugees Welcome!
Indycar Series 2011: Dan Wheldon Appreciation Station
Izod Indycar Series 2010: Sato what happened? Sato!? SATOOOOOOOOO!
Indycar [2009] Month of May and Indy 500: Paul Tracy Revenge Edition
Indy Car 2008: Can hell freeze over twice?
Hell frozen over: Champ Car/IRL Unification [2007/8]
Indy Racing League [2007]: Yes it still exists!
Champ Car 2006 Season Thread
2005 Champ Car Season Thread

Thread Rules
No F1Chat please.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I think this year all races are on Peacock in addition to practice/qualifying, so it's pretty easy to watch for once

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
no seriously they can't push the cars out of the pits anymore this is bullshit

https://racer.com/2022/02/24/indycar-rule-changes-of-interest-for-2022/

quote:

Rule 7.6.10 brings an unexpected end to a practice that’s been seen since 1911 with the first Indy 500: Unless approved by IndyCar, crew members are not permitted to physically assist with the Car’s exit from the Pit Box.

I mean its probably good for safety but still.

Oh and St. Pete is this weekend, hell yeah!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

most of the daily chat is over on the discord btw!!!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

abraham linksys posted:

I think this year all races are on Peacock in addition to practice/qualifying, so it's pretty easy to watch for once

I suppose it's time to resubscribe then

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I love to see so many NBC logos on there because it means I can watch as live as possible with an antenna

This is Romain's year

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Bring on the 2022 season :)

Great work and many thanks once again devmd01 on the thread.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
Hey here's a spotter's guide for this weekend:

https://twitter.com/indy44/status/1497066709944918016

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Not sure if there are many Aus Goons who watch IndyCar, but Foxtel won't be showing any of the races this year, you have to stream it via Stan Sport, which is apparently a thing.

You need to pay for base Stan and then pay an extra $10 a month for Sport. It does give you WRC & WEC though.

bennyfactor posted:

Hey here's a spotter's guide for this weekend:

https://twitter.com/indy44/status/1497066709944918016

HA thats great!

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I might go on Twitter and try and convince people that given the current situation racing in St Petersburg is disrespectful.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Dudley posted:

I might go on Twitter and try and convince people that given the current situation racing in St Petersburg is disrespectful.

https://twitter.com/reportonkatrina/status/1497188159050096641

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Big ol' wreck at the end of the USF2000 race. Myles Rowe lost half his car.

Timestamp of the incident:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RPAy-nbh9M&t=6753s

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Jimmy with the first red flag of the season lmao

Wasn't necessary tho.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Yeah that's not really his fault, tried to spin turn it and got cucked by anti-stall, and then tried to find reverse and was dog-on-dog.

I get why they threw the red there, it's a pretty spicy brake zone, but it always seems like they throw it just before whatever problem is fixed.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

WindyMan posted:

Big ol' wreck at the end of the USF2000 race. Myles Rowe lost half his car.

Timestamp of the incident:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RPAy-nbh9M&t=6753s

That's a pity, because he had a really great showing until then. Unfortunately this probably scuppers his chance to race on Sunday unless he has the budget and the team has the spares, and he was already on a shoestring to even get a partial season going.

Really hate how RP just loving dropped him to find a easier kid to get to Indycar for their token black racer and gg that's it. I had hopes that REC was gonna actually deliver and it seems like he's got one woman once to the 500 and funding the single most promising black kid is enough equality and change for him.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Entire account deleted before I saw it. Guessing someone actually was that stupid.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

That might be the worst direction I've ever seen, a battle for the lead and they're ignoring it to stay on every camera about 5 seconds too long.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Lots of Red flags in P2. Sucks for Sato and Grosjean, obviously the 28's fault there, never should've been on a hot lap with that traffic situation. Surprised to see Palou in the wall as well. What I AM happy about is Kirkwood in P8, rookie in a Foyt car. That's much better than I anticipated. I wanna see him on the podium tomorrow lol

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Dudley posted:

Entire account deleted before I saw it. Guessing someone actually was that stupid.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

gently caress yeah, Calderon qualified ahead of Jimmy lmao

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Oh god.

Like, if that's a troll it's perfectly worded in that it's a 100% accurate statement.

But... I fear...

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Welcome to Jimmy Johnson's first and last full season of Indycar!

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Vroom vroom time. :)

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
RIP Danny Ongais.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I expected more out of MSR and McLaren, tbh. Otherwise, nothing in the field was outside of expected results.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Sato drove well.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It’s insane that Ganassi has 2 Scott Dixons.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Couldn't catch the Penske Scott Dixon, though.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The Hybrid Groundhog saw his shadow, or didn't I can't remember
http://twitter.com/JennaFryer/status/1499391602304946183

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Boco_T posted:

Welp.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Some interesting tidbits from the Trackside podcast (that I stole from Reddit):

- Leaders Circle bux have been increased 30%. That's probably a jump from $1 mil to $1.3 mil, which is great!

- Penske expects there to be an increase in the Indy 500 purse because that's what Robin Miller wanted, dammit

- NASCAR is still wanting the Chicago street race, but apparently if everything comes together, Indycar is also involved with that so we might get a double bill weekend again

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Boco_T posted:

there was an article in Racer a couple weeks back saying the testing was delayed because of parts supply for the hybrid systems, and it sounds like there's another column today with more details on how it happened:

quote:

At the frequent urging of Chevrolet, and a late and somewhat begrudging agreement from Honda, all parties reached a consensus leading into last weekend’s St. Petersburg race. Finally, the two auto manufacturers came together and gave IndyCar the green light to move off 2023 as the year for hybrid introduction. It buys everyone an extra 12 months of deadline relief that should ensure the new era launches in a proper manner.

To preserve the 2023 season, IndyCar, Chevy, and Honda turned their attention towards keeping the existing 2.2-liter twin-turbo V6s in rotation for one more year. Think of it as an insurance policy. Thanks to the long production windows required to keep the 2.2s going, the manufacturers told IndyCar that if they wanted to have motors next year, they’d need an official decision on the delay by the end of February.

And so here we are, with parts commissioned for the 2.2s so they can be rebuilt and ready to go for ongoing service once the offseason arrives, and a plan for the manufacturers to start testing the 2.4-liter twin-turbo V6s in the background as they wait for the rest of the hybrid package to materialize. Testing fires off on March 30-31 in Sebring.

definitely understand that they'd be facing the deadlines soon for parts ordering just to keep the current engines running. that's why the decision had to be made so soon.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Gosh, DeFrancesco kinda sucks.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Reynold posted:

Gosh, DeFrancesco kinda sucks.

Three cautions caused by him pulling the same bogus move, and only the last one actually negatively affected him. Kind of a crummy race overall but a fantastic finish.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

He had plausible deniability in the first two wrecks, but went full-blown moron into that last one.

Was still a far better Texas than I expected. Holy gently caress did AA and SPAM manage to poo poo the bed, though.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
How could you call that race crummy? It was wild

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

lmao Jimmy back on form

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Pagenaud single-handedly cancels the Long Beach Grand Prix by crashing into the fountain flowerbed

WindyMan fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 10, 2022

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
And to think they were worried about the jumpy trucks screwing up the garden all these years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/318463849609297931/962832375635644496/marcus.mp4