Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

IOwnCalculus posted:

Reminder about the caliber of driver that was last shafted on ROY:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lqHxWKyoJI

Ed Jones did very little with plenty of opportunities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
12 year old me absolutely hated Belle Isle in IndyCar Racing II and I've never forgiven that track

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I actually have a ton of fun racing it in iRacing, it's a pity they're going to such a lackluster layout in the city

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I feel like the double header at Belle Isle being such a physical challenge is a lot of what made it fun to watch. Seeing the circuit beat the hell out of everyone on Saturday and then making them come back and do it again Sunday was very cool. Just doing a single race there wasn't very spectacular imo.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Ed Jones was a Ganassi driver lol.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Frond posted:

Ed Jones was a Ganassi driver lol.

Noted Emirati driver Ed Jones got a year in the car that Palou just won the title in.

IndyCar is very funny sometimes.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

Noted Emirati driver Ed Jones got a year in the car that Palou just won the title in.

IndyCar is very funny sometimes.

He pretty much got it based on one good Indy 500 with Dale Coyne, it wasn't an especially great year overall. Then I think he somehow managed to score fewer points in a year with Ganassi.

Landed on his feet with the Jota drive mind.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

e: wrong goddamn thread

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 11, 2022

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
All right, which one of you is this Simona Superfan:

https://twitter.com/kylelewis1/status/1535812152187133952

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So what's going on with Castroneves this year. He seemed dominant at the Indy 500 last year, but he seems to be sucking wind. Does he just have a bad team / car?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Timby posted:

So what's going on with Castroneves this year. He seemed dominant at the Indy 500 last year, but he seems to be sucking wind. Does he just have a bad team / car?

well he's like 50, for one

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Greetings from the middest of ohios

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Greetings from the middest of ohios

It's pretty mid, but you're about 30 miles off from the middest:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Josef Newgarden, 2 time Indycar champion, standing atop a particularly patriotic camper

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

bennyfactor posted:

All right, which one of you is this Simona Superfan:

https://twitter.com/kylelewis1/status/1535812152187133952

https://twitter.com/kylelewis1/status/1048900077501202432?cxt=HHwWgIC2xYXEuI4dAAAA

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

So uh

https://twitter.com/AlexPalou/status/1546996392912109568?t=IyQUPlFh-ynbYj4ykZSK9A&s=19
https://twitter.com/AlexPalou/status/1546996751126695937?t=QiCkFxix_Ac_AJ515T4gUA&s=19

edit: okay then

https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/1546998384963248130?t=docK5thEpcVQEXeppVpReA&s=19

shyduck fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 13, 2022

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Silly season indeed

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Somebody at CGR is getting they rear end chewed out later for that tweet, especially if it wasn’t approved to go out and knew the talks were still ongoing.

Also note that McLaren are still playing the “roster of drivers” game, I wonder if they’re going to do a true Roush-style Gong Show for the F1 seat.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I mean, as of right now, of the 3 drivers signed to SPAM, Palou is the only one with enough points for a super license without extensive FP1 running.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i'm at the honda indy today. i'm a rally and f1 guy normally but this is dope

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

:getin:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

IndyCar is real good in person, can only imagine how loud it is on a street circuit.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Toronto was a real good time when I went 8 years ago, major shout out to the dudes that shared their joint with me right next to the driver RV paddock.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I started watching F1 last year and Indy this year; both are fun to watch, but it really does feel like NBC's horrid production and endless ad breaks holds back the product. I'm hoping that they introduce a race on the northeast coast - I'm in DC and it looks like mid-Ohio is the closest

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

curried lamb of God posted:

I started watching F1 last year and Indy this year; both are fun to watch, but it really does feel like NBC's horrid production and endless ad breaks holds back the product. I'm hoping that they introduce a race on the northeast coast - I'm in DC and it looks like mid-Ohio is the closest

I'm near Baltimore and just went to mid Ohio and it was a blast. Sadly we lost the Baltimore GP before I got a chance to go due to corruption (shocking, I know)

If Indy ever goes back to the Glen that's a little closer but that's likely the only other road course they'd go near us. VIR is way too fast. We almost had Richmond in 2020 but it fell off the schedule for obvious reasons and hasn't come back. Hopefully they'll add it back soon.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

harperdc posted:

IndyCar is real good in person, can only imagine how loud it is on a street circuit.

yeah, loud lol. its glorious. i'm on turn 3 and there's already been a whole bunch of run offs, driving into the tire barrier, and shunts/spins in the support series', not to mention awesome passes and close calls. it's an awesome spot, def coming back next year.

my friend is marshalling on turn 6 and has been busy all yesterday and today sweeping up car parts :lol:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

curried lamb of God posted:

One thing to remember is that Formula 1 coverage used to be the exact same, down to also being on NBCSN/NBC Sports. ESPN having F1 without commercials is more a happy accident than any long proper tradition or difference in the product.

yeah, loud lol. its glorious. i'm on turn 3 and there's already been a whole bunch of run offs, driving into the tire barrier, and shunts/spins in the support series', not to mention awesome passes and close calls. it's an awesome spot, def coming back next year.

my friend is marshalling on turn 6 and has been busy all yesterday and today sweeping up car parts :lol:

I grew up going to IndyCar/Champ Car at Portland ever year, and remember distinctly just how loud it was -- and that was at a natural road course, not a street circuit.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Nbc is the worst thing that can happen to a sport

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Haaaaave you met ABC? NBC is doing a bit better, but that bar is drat near on the ground. :(

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

harperdc posted:

I grew up going to IndyCar/Champ Car at Portland ever year, and remember distinctly just how loud it was -- and that was at a natural road course, not a street circuit.

The current cars are slightly quieter than the old 2.65L turbos, but only just.

And yeah, for all of NBC's faults, it's still so much loving better having any version of the NBC booth instead of Scott Goodyear and Eddie Cheever. Hell, the Lee/Bell/Hinch booth we had on Sunday is probably the best since the days of Paul Page and Uncle Bobby.

I do still wish Jon Beekhuis was back, though.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

My brain is shutting out how bad it got but I know they added Alan Bestwick to some really awful color commentators in the late-ABC/ESPN days. Rusty Wallace? Did he do any of the actual post-merger commentary? ugh.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm pretty sure that Rusty's "THIS IS THE BEST DAYTONA 500 EVER" call made sure he didn't get a call back to the booth.

Bestwick was solid, but holy gently caress Eddie and Scott could drag anyone down.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I’m mostly okay with ads, though I obviously wish they weren’t there. (Peacock Premium?) The thing that bugs me the most is qualifying. I still haven’t grokked the timing tower display, and the camera direction often feels very random to me. Very little sense of “narrative” that I can intuit from what I’m being shown.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
man i grew up going to indycar at MIS/Milwaukee/Road America and don't remember them being all that loud? especially compared to nascar. have they gotten louder?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I thought they were pretty quiet at Mid Ohio tbh, the USFs and Indy Pro were way louder, as was pretty much any sports car

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, they are totally fine at roads and streets since going back to turbos in 2012. Even at Indy I never wanted ear plugs. If anything a little too quiet!

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Cygni posted:

Yeah, they are totally fine at roads and streets since going back to turbos in 2012. Even at Indy I never wanted ear plugs. If anything a little too quiet!

i went to the 500 during the IRL/NA years once and those things were loving loud as poo poo

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

mactheknife posted:

i went to the 500 during the IRL/NA years once and those things were loving loud as poo poo

i remember when they ran at Texas the first year and the rednecks behind us were shoving cigarette filters into their ears

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
https://twitter.com/indy44/status/1550868319040720896

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Unironically rooting for Jimmie right now, he’s just having fun out there