Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Boco_T posted:

The Hybrid Groundhog saw his shadow, or didn't I can't remember
http://twitter.com/JennaFryer/status/1499391602304946183

there was an article in Racer a couple weeks back saying the testing was delayed because of parts supply for the hybrid systems, and it sounds like there's another column today with more details on how it happened:

quote:

At the frequent urging of Chevrolet, and a late and somewhat begrudging agreement from Honda, all parties reached a consensus leading into last weekend’s St. Petersburg race. Finally, the two auto manufacturers came together and gave IndyCar the green light to move off 2023 as the year for hybrid introduction. It buys everyone an extra 12 months of deadline relief that should ensure the new era launches in a proper manner.

To preserve the 2023 season, IndyCar, Chevy, and Honda turned their attention towards keeping the existing 2.2-liter twin-turbo V6s in rotation for one more year. Think of it as an insurance policy. Thanks to the long production windows required to keep the 2.2s going, the manufacturers told IndyCar that if they wanted to have motors next year, they’d need an official decision on the delay by the end of February.

And so here we are, with parts commissioned for the 2.2s so they can be rebuilt and ready to go for ongoing service once the offseason arrives, and a plan for the manufacturers to start testing the 2.4-liter twin-turbo V6s in the background as they wait for the rest of the hybrid package to materialize. Testing fires off on March 30-31 in Sebring.

definitely understand that they'd be facing the deadlines soon for parts ordering just to keep the current engines running. that's why the decision had to be made so soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

And to think they were worried about the jumpy trucks screwing up the garden all these years

And to think, we thought it absurd that one of the Porsche Cup cars ended up there yesterday :colbert:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

The thread is pretty slow when the discord is busy, and it was def busy today with everything. So to everyone, you should definitely get in the discord if you havent already. Its time!!

Watch practice with us tomorrow!

the Discord is good, but not everyone checks it, so cross-posting some of the news or notes would also be appreciated :unsmith:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Frond posted:

Ed Jones was a Ganassi driver lol.

Noted Emirati driver Ed Jones got a year in the car that Palou just won the title in.

IndyCar is very funny sometimes.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Somebody at CGR is getting they rear end chewed out later for that tweet, especially if it wasn’t approved to go out and knew the talks were still ongoing.

Also note that McLaren are still playing the “roster of drivers” game, I wonder if they’re going to do a true Roush-style Gong Show for the F1 seat.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i'm at the honda indy today. i'm a rally and f1 guy normally but this is dope

IndyCar is real good in person, can only imagine how loud it is on a street circuit.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

curried lamb of God posted:

I started watching F1 last year and Indy this year; both are fun to watch, but it really does feel like NBC's horrid production and endless ad breaks holds back the product. I'm hoping that they introduce a race on the northeast coast - I'm in DC and it looks like mid-Ohio is the closest

One thing to remember is that Formula 1 coverage used to be the exact same, down to also being on NBCSN/NBC Sports. ESPN having F1 without commercials is more a happy accident than any long proper tradition or difference in the product.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

yeah, loud lol. its glorious. i'm on turn 3 and there's already been a whole bunch of run offs, driving into the tire barrier, and shunts/spins in the support series', not to mention awesome passes and close calls. it's an awesome spot, def coming back next year.

my friend is marshalling on turn 6 and has been busy all yesterday and today sweeping up car parts :lol:

I grew up going to IndyCar/Champ Car at Portland ever year, and remember distinctly just how loud it was -- and that was at a natural road course, not a street circuit.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

My brain is shutting out how bad it got but I know they added Alan Bestwick to some really awful color commentators in the late-ABC/ESPN days. Rusty Wallace? Did he do any of the actual post-merger commentary? ugh.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bentai posted:

CGR gonna implode by the time the season is over.

Scott Dixon celebrating the title in Laguna Seca, now and forever, until the heat death of the universe

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bentai posted:

So Seb Vettel is retiring from F1 at the end of the season. CGR should just let Palou go and try to land him instead.

I don’t think Vettel wants to be full time with anything at the moment.

Frond posted:

I think Chip just wants money.

Also this, very much so.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Well, about that…

quote:

“Based on pre-race and post-race technical inspection, the No. 27 was compliant and met or exceeded 1700 pounds during the race,” the series told RACER. “It was once the car was weighed without elements of Rule 14.4.1.1., in post-race inspection, when the car was found to be non-compliant. The process the team used to achieve the minimum weight is not permitted.

“Since the drink bottle was used to achieve minimum weight, IndyCar imposed a monetary fine and points deduction in line with the severity of the infraction according to IndyCar’s Technical Penalty Guidelines.”

But if the car is slightly under 1705, I’ve heard the practice is to immediately demand for the drink bottle to be removed — if it wasn’t already taken out – and for the car to be weighed without it. This is what happened with the No. 27 entry. We don’t know what low number it hit, but it had to be in the sub-1705 range to catch the attention of the technical inspectors, and the bottle was still in the car.

In the case of the No. 27, the team is believed to have missed the target with its extra ballast, and without that safety margin in place to keep the car above the 1700-pound minimum, it didn’t race comfortably above the number it needed to be deemed legal after the race.

Huh! Interesting for sure.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

resigned or re-signed?

EDIT : Re-signed.

Thank you, this is also something that drives me mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ignore