Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
FROM OUTTA NOWHERE

https://twitter.com/MLS_Buzz/status/1585756879426408448

(actual San Diego Union-Tribune article is behind a paywall)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I believe a Middle Eastern billionaire trying to buy a team means that MLS is officially a big boy soccer league now :unsmith:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

whypick1 posted:

I believe a Middle Eastern billionaire trying to buy a team means that MLS is officially a big boy soccer league now :unsmith:

And from one of the lesser problematic nations to boot!

e: to clarify, this is not to say that Egypt is not a problematic nation, but that it's less problematic than, say, Saudi Arabia or Qatar.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 28, 2022

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I believe it's the same Egyptian billionaire who was supposed to be behind the Vegas Villains bid (the one who owns Aston Villa with Edens) so v0v?

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/MLSist/status/1586109211444154368

boy, i dunno

apparently onstad wanted him last year before Nagamura, so I guess he got his guy

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

On one hand, for a newish ownership group who wants to push for a revamp, that is hilariously lame.
On the other hand, if your revamp is gonna take a few years to be fully realized, might as well go for an extremely tame coach with more than enough MLS experience in the mean time.

All in all, lol. Probably gonna be a same or more likely worse season next year for them.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Imagine being upset about Apple making MLS respectable to watch again after years of straight dogshit rear end amateur hour bullshit and local commentators that suck the life from the game like a Hoover vacuum. TIM APPLE SAVE US

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I'm at a point where I no longer want to watch a ton of MLS matches like I did back in the day. I kinda like the idea of just watching Galaxy games in full and then maybe putting on the whip around show to watch the rest of what is happening in the league on any given match night.

Mostly I'm pumped to never have to deal with the Spectrum Sportsnet regional blackout. I live in Long Beach which is like a 10 minute drive from Galaxy's stadium, but unless I want to get a very expensive old school cable package (currently split a YouTube TV account with two other people) I cannot watch any Galaxy games that are not nationally broadcast on Fox or ESPN.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Putting all the games on at 7:30 pm local time - even for the west coast teams - is…certainly a choice, but I’m also coming from it as a PAC-12 college football fan told our games go too late. Not sure how many sickos on the east coast will want late night Cascadia or LAFC matches, but sure, fine.

So long as the games stay on Apple+ without an extra charge and without a region block in places MLS doesn’t have a TV deal already I’ll be set.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
MLS' deal with Apple is NOT Apple TV+ - it's its own thing. With that being said, Apple TV+ will have "select" non-exclusive matches.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

harperdc posted:

Putting all the games on at 7:30 pm local time - even for the west coast teams - is…certainly a choice, but I’m also coming from it as a PAC-12 college football fan told our games go too late. Not sure how many sickos on the east coast will want late night Cascadia or LAFC matches, but sure, fine.

So long as the games stay on Apple+ without an extra charge and without a region block in places MLS doesn’t have a TV deal already I’ll be set.

Didn't they have something like 6 games in the early slot, and only two games in the Pacific slot? Sounds like they might have one or two late afternoon starts on the west coast, which would fit into that 7:30 Eastern slot.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MLS found the Taxi Fountas racial slur "credible," but MLS can't prove it somehow, so Taxi dodges any additional punishment. Lol

Relatedly, MLS fined DC 25 grand for violating its version of the Rooney Rule when hiring Wayne Rooney. Also lol

DC might have some racial issues to sort out

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

MLS' deal with Apple is NOT Apple TV+ - it's its own thing. With that being said, Apple TV+ will have "select" non-exclusive matches.

Ah, okay - murky memory. It's a subscription available exclusively through the AppleTV app. But still, if it's reasonably priced, they've already promised it won't be blacked out, so, still, an improvement on my current "not able even to pay for it without a VPN" situation.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Mukhtar won MVP as expected

More surprising is that he got 78% of the media vote somehow

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Hi if there are any MLS heads who post exclusively in these threads and nowhere else I've made a World cup preparation/feedback thread and would be very keen to hear your thoughts and suggestions on a potential Big Forum Event. ok bye

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

2022 Best XI:

Jesús Ferreira (DAL) - Brandon Vázquez (CIN) - Carlos Vela (LAF)
Luciano Acosta (CIN) - Sebastián Driussi (AUS) - Dániel Gazdag (PHI) - Hany Mukhtar (NSH)
Jakob Glesnes (PHI) - Kai Wagner (PHI) - Walker Zimmerman (NSH)
Andre Blake (PHI)

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Donny Garbucks can gild the turd all he wants but MLS is still, and always will be MLS.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-league-soccer/story/4788859/mls-cup-final-in-la-to-have-no-parking-for-fans-due-to-usc-game

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I don't agree entirely with this ranking of all 26 MLS Cups, but both of Portland's losses being in the top 10 is A-OK with me.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

at least Portland didn’t take over 2.5 hours of play time over the course of two matches to get a single shot on frame.

hell, only took 27 seconds in their first MLS Cup appearance to score a goal, can’t take that away from PTFC.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

oh no / lmao

https://twitter.com/arililjenwall/status/1588281560083492864?s=46&t=8BuG71-mRrTDM5a49cqYzQ

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Not sure if that's better or worse than asking Schweinsteiger if the Fire are going to make it to the World Cup.

On a scale of 1 - 100, what percentage of Philly will burn to the ground if the Union and Phillies both lose on Saturday?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

whypick1 posted:

Not sure if that's better or worse than asking Schweinsteiger if the Fire are going to make it to the World Cup.

On a scale of 1 - 100, what percentage of Philly will burn to the ground if the Union and Phillies both lose on Saturday?

Slightly less than if they both win (and Phillies win in game 7).

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

whypick1 posted:

It’s so much better lol, a stupid mistake but an understandable one. The World Cup thing is just insane.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Oh boy, another reason to hate Don Garber

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

ughhh I wish Merritt had connected when he took a swing at me a few years ago after I chirped him saying he should spend his father’s money better if he wanted more capable defenders rather than blaming the TA for a loss.

I’d be a much better team owner than that shitstain.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Gigi Galli posted:

It’s so much better lol, a stupid mistake but an understandable one. The World Cup thing is just insane.

the thing is the reporter could have played it off by saying he meant the club world cup but no, lol

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

the reporter would have to know what that is in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Offseason thread