Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Crazy Ted posted:

The weird thing in this case being that it's not a slogan or a MAGA company or anything, but a credit union that has existed since the 1930s.

quote:

"America First" was a phrase used by the Ku Klux Klan at its peak in the 1920s, where racist, xenophobic sentiment was widespread.[12][13] The Immigration Act of 1924 sponsored by Washington U.S. representative Albert Johnson proved to legislate xenophobia and white supremacy, excluding immigrants on the basis of ethnicity and national origin in an effort to preserve white racial demographics.[14] Johnson's leading role in the immigration restriction bill elicited strong support from the Ku Klux Klan.[15] Later in the late 1930s and early 1940s, the term became associated with fascism and bigotry against Jews, as mouthpieces for antisemitism including Elizabeth Dilling, Gerald L. K. Smith,[16][17] and Charles Lindbergh became leaders for "America First" causes.[18]

Hmmm...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

It's not unreasonable to make the assumption that a credit union called America First founded in the thirties that originally had a different name is signalling some racist poo poo, but it might also not be a dog whistle. From their history section on Wikipedia:

quote:

In 1939, at Fort Douglas in Salt Lake City, Utah, 59 members of the National Federation of Federal Employees, Local No. 650, instituted the Fort Douglas Civilian Employees Credit Union. On June 23, 1947, the finance office of the U.S. Army at Fort Douglas was moved to the Utah General Distribution Depot in Ogden, Utah, and the credit union moved with it and renamed itself Federal Employees Credit Union. In 1960, with the addition of the Naval Supply Depot in Clearfield, Utah, the credit union was now affiliated with five Federal Government installations, the others being the Utah General Depot, Hill Air Force Base, Fort Douglas and the Internal Revenue Service Building in Ogden, Utah. Utah-chartered credit unions began serving anyone in the state and the credit union changed its name to America First Credit Union in 1984.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
http://twitter.com/TheStrikerNews/status/1574795731931652098

Everything old is new again.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Time to learn another name of a ref to yell out next year:

https://twitter.com/PSRAofficials/status/1575881246093123586

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Farewell Kevin Stott. You were not the worst referee

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

whypick1 posted:

Time to learn another name of a ref to yell out next year:

https://twitter.com/PSRAofficials/status/1575881246093123586

Kinda sucks as he was decent.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Columbus @ Orlando (FS1) and Portland @ RSL (ESPN2) will be the nationally televised games next week.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Now that Seattle has been elimated, there are four teams left fighting for the playoffs, and they all play eachother. Which is neat.

Portland - Win or draw @ RSL. A loss eliminates Portland.

RSL - Win vs Portland. Any other result eliminates RSL.

Minnesota - Win or draw vs Vancouver. A loss eliminates Minnesota.

Vancouver - Win @ Minnesota. Any other result eliminates Vancouver.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Similarly neat: four of the five teams still fighting for 3 open spots in the East play each other midweek (CLT-CLB, MIA-ORL) and then Orlando host Columbus next week.

Charlotte (41pts, 13 wins, -6 GD: vs CLB, @ NYRB): need to win out or at the VERY least beat Columbus and hope Miami beats Orlando, because otherwise two of the three teams they are chasing are guaranteed to reach 46pts (since they play Columbus and the other two play each other), and a win and a draw only gets them to 45.

The rest, we'll know more after Wednesday's slate but right now it's kind of a clusterfuck and none of the other 4 can be eliminated before Sunday:

Cincinnati (46pts, 11 wins, 5 GD: @ DC)
Orlando (45pts, 13 wins, -7 GD: @ MIA, vs CLB)
Miami: (45pts, 13 wins, -10 GD: vs ORL, vs MTL)
Columbus: (45pts, 10 wins, +6 GD: @ CLT, @ ORL)

Also neat, though less similarly:

https://twitter.com/OptaJack/status/1576605426434514945

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Anybody want to do the math to determine what it'll take for Portland to get the 7 seed? That's my ideal season conclusion. Win the Cascadia Cup and a playoff run where Merritt can't host a single match.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Pretty sure the only way is Portland drawing RSL and Minnesota beating Vancouver.

E: just to be clear, I'm rooting for RSL and Minnesota because if Seattle can't be in the playoffs, none of Cascadia should be :colbert:

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 3, 2022

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

rooting for RSL because Portland getting a playoff run just further enables Merritt to go “oh see, look how amazing Gavin Wilkinson is he’s a genius and can’t be canned despite being an absolute oval office”

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

jfc the investigative report about abuse in NWSL had so much more horrible proof and info than I could’ve even imagined. now I REALLY want the Timbers to lose and embarrass every cowardly motherfucker in the front office that enabled such horrific actions.

awful that I’m rooting against the team I love because the organization running it is full of monsters. it shouldn’t be this way.

so many owners and GMs in both leagues need to be fired into the sun.

should anyone want to read it, here ya go- even just skimming the table of contents is nightmarish.

https://twitter.com/itsmeglinehan/status/1576981012889813001?s=46&t=BDGWce29MDIpcXs7_Tr2Zg

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

the escape goat posted:

<some real heinous poo poo regarding NWSL and Portland>

As I said in the other thread, probably need to burn it all down again. This time the flames need to actually get the owners though.

Edward Mass posted:

:toxx: If FC Cincinnati are awarded the Wooden Spoon for the 2022 season based purely on on-the-field conduct (i.e. no points deductions for disciplinary reasons), I will resign as an IK for the gambling subforum. :toxx:

Congratulations, DC's loss against Montreal on Saturday gave them the Wooden Spoon (granted, I think Cincy had been safe for a few weeks now).

highme
May 25, 2001

Should have been done a while ago, but get hosed shitheads.

https://twitter.com/RyanTClarke/status/1577712643217162240

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Details on next year's LigaMX/MLS Leagues Cup

tl;dr:

*July 21 - August 19, with both leagues' regular season on hiatus during that time
*All games in the US (even LigaMX-LigaMX matchups)
*3 team groups broken down into 4 geographic regions for the group stage
*Group stage ties after 90' award each time a point and go to PKs, winner gets an extra point (same as MLS Next Pro)
*32 team knockout tourney after group stage
*Top 3 teams get CCL berths, with the winner going to the round of 16
*All matches aired on AppleTV

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
:siren: RUMOR HAS IT :siren: MLS could allow a 4th Designated Player per club with the Apple money coming in.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

oh my god just relax the roster rules for once

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I just assume AS don't know what they're talking about and are vaguely speculating for their own reasons (presumably related to spinning endless transfer rumors linking former La Liga superstars to Inter Miami) so I wouldn't put too much weight on any specific thing happening with roster rules after the Apple deal (except the cap hike that's already in the CBA) until someone reliable reports it.

highme
May 25, 2001

Is it a good sign when your jersey sponsor says they're going to give this quarters payment to the NWSL Emergency Players club instead of your MLS team?

https://twitter.com/timbersarmy/status/1579156917133660160

edit: this coming AFTER 2/3rds of the fuckheads are already gone says one thing, SELL THE TEAMS MERRITT!

highme fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 9, 2022

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/ImagesMls/status/1579215242311405569

edit:
https://twitter.com/TheMikeDonovan/status/1579234751244038144

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 10, 2022

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Delighted to see Porter knocked out of playoff qualification by Orlando

highme
May 25, 2001

threeagainstfour posted:

Delighted to see Porter knocked out of playoff qualification by Orlando

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

https://twitter.com/lucaswmuller/status/1579216864999198720?s=46&t=qlSZp5PtVmii8_2m57OQHQ

haaaa gently caress yes

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Shame they didn't use this GIF under the headline: Caleb Porter sacked

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

highme posted:

edit: this coming AFTER 2/3rds of the fuckheads are already gone says one thing, SELL THE TEAMS MERRITT!

He's almost figured it out

https://twitter.com/RyanTClarke/status/1579872049786662912

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

He’s still making money. He’s gotta sell his percentage of ownership (as he doesn’t own the team outright, just a share of the company that does) and be 100% out of the organization to make any difference.

Preferably him AND his father (Hank Paulson, also a real shitlord) will bail. They’ll make far more than they paid initially.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Year end award finalists:

Landon Donovan MLS Most Valuable Player
Cristian Arango (Los Angeles FC)
Andre Blake (Philadelphia Union)
Sebastián Driussi (Austin FC)
Javier Hernandez (LA Galaxy)
Hany Mukhtar (Nashville SC) - WINNER (and it wasn't even close)

(Mukhtar, basically carried Nashville to the playoffs by himself)

Allstate Goalkeeper of the Year
Andre Blake (Philadelphia Union) - WINNER
Drake Callender (Inter Miami)
Djordje Petrovic (New England Revolution)

(Blake, mainly because Philly were a tiebreaker from the Shield while the Revs are out of the playoffs entirely and Petrovic didn't play all season)

Defender of the Year
Alex Callens (New York City FC)
Jakob Glesnes (Philadelphia Union) - WINNER
Kai Wagner (Philadelphia Union)

(My heart says Glesnes because of the bangers he scored, but none of those were this year; have a feeling it will be Callens because Philly will split the vote)

Newcomer of the Year
Thiago Almada (Atlanta United) - WINNER
Cucho Hernandez (Columbus Crew)
Djordje Petrovic (New England Revolution)

(Cucho, because scoring goals is sexier than saving them)

Young Player of the Year
Thiago Almada (Atlanta United)
Brenner (FC Cincinnati)
Jesús Ferreira (FC Dallas) - WINNER

(Ferreira, even though it's a coinflip between he and Brenner; both have 18g/6a, Brenner did it in 600 fewer minutes but Ferreira is on the USMNT)

Comeback Player of the Year
Jeremy Ebobisse (San Jose Earthquakes)
Gonzalo Higuaín (Inter Miami) - WINNER
Kei Kamara (CF Montréal)

(Gonzo, because playoff team + narrative)

MLS WORKS Humanitarian of the Year
Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union)
Kei Kamara (CF Montréal)
Brad Stuver (Austin FC)

(Bedoya used field mics to poo poo talk Congress [ok, that wasn't this year either], so he gets my vote)

Sigi Schmid Coach of the Year Finalists
Steve Cherundolo (Los Angeles FC)
Jim Curtin (Philadelphia Union) - WINNER (By 0.1% over Nancy)
Wilfried Nancy (CF Montréal)

(Nancy, because no one expected poo poo from Montreal this year)

Referee of the Year
Allen Chapman
Ismail Elfath - WINNER
Armando Villarreal

(I don't know who I swore at the least out of this group)

Assistant Referee of the Year
Ian Anderson
Chris Elliott
Corey Rockwell - WINNER

(I don't remember swearing at any of the people at all)

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 1, 2022

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If MLS wanted to change handball penalty rules for example, are they able to do so on their own, or would FIFA tell MLS to gently caress off

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If MLS wanted to change handball penalty rules for example, are they able to do so on their own, or would FIFA tell MLS to gently caress off
99% positive they'd need to get approval from FIFA to try it on an experimental basis.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Blake win GK of Year (no duh) and Glesnes gets defender of the year. The actual best defender is Kai Wagner and Glesnes is probably the worst out of himself, Wagner, and Elliott lol

How the hell does voting work, these percentages do not add up to 100%

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 20, 2022

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

The league can gently caress all the way off with this poo poo:

https://twitter.com/MLSist/status/1585081956014096388

Pastebin

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

On one hand I liked two legged playoffs and was annoyed by the shift to singles while recognizing the timing made it necessary, and have since been pleasantly surprised by how much I've enjoyed the new format

on the other hand jesus gently caress let something breathe

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

it seems annoyingly complex and hard for casual fans to follow which mls is hard enough as it is for casuals to follow

i would like more emphasis on the regular season not less, but i know that is a losing battle. but this format is just silly

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

St. Louis can't even keep a stadium sponsorship, smdh

They will be playing in CITYPARK. No word on whether The Tick will be there.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

City Park Sports Team

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

whypick1 posted:

St. Louis can't even keep a stadium sponsorship, smdh

They will be playing in CITYPARK. No word on whether The Tick will be there.

Centene has new leadership who is making a lot of changes especially in light of the post-COVID shift to remote work. They cancelled an upgrade to their St. Louis offices, cancelled a bunch of work in South Carolina on offices, and cancelled a sponsorship deal at both the stadium and the nearby Ballpark Village outside of Busch Stadium.

In other words, it’s not really a red flag for the MLS team unless they struggle to find a new stadium sponsor.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Athletic article about what the Apple broadcast setup will look like. tl;dr - Over ~dozen English, ~dozen Spanish and 3 French (1 for each Canadian team) broadcast teams who will call games on site, option to mute their commentary and get radio feed instead, significant number of matches won't be behind a paywall, league well behind on getting this altogether (surprising no one), Apple logo will be on the sleeve of every jersey going forward (ugh).

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

I continue to absolutely hate stacking the matches on the same time slot on Saturday night, it makes absolutely no sense to me, but I guess it is what it is and I'll just end up being able to watch less matches. It also means if you actually attend a match you're effectively missing all of the other ones.

The rest sounds fine, though i suspect there will be a lot of tech issues out the gate given how rushed it will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
There are also :siren: rumors :siren: that some matches will be on ESPN/FS1/TUDN, which may be outside the Saturday night spot.