Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Gigi Galli posted:

The trajectory of this mans career due to a single goal against Juventus is unbelievable.

The soccer equivalent of a one-hit wonder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://theathletic.com/3162180/202...und-the-league/

This anonymous MLS exec survey is probably one of the more in depth pieces I've seen on MLS and many of its peculiar rules. The 1st half is mostly just a straight survey which is fine too but the open ended 2nd half touches on a lot of interesting topics.

A lot if it is around the MLS roster and spending rules and how executives think the guard rails at this point are dated, needlessly complex, and holding back (some) teams. General sentiment is that no one thinks MLS is ready to go full wild west, but that over the next few years a lot of the current restrictions should be loosened or jettisoned, otherwise the byzantine nature is going to increasingly prevent MLS from progressing.

The executive sentiment is best summarized by this:

quote:

“I mean, GAM, TAM, what the gently caress?,”

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Too soon to change the thread title?

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
God I love MLS.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Popero posted:

God I love MLS.

Here's like the 3rd different manager in 2 weeks bitching to a reporter about his squad being bad

https://twitter.com/cboehm/status/1499441454791471123?s=19

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Goddammit MLS managers, have none of you seen The Incredibles? If all of you claim to suck, then none of you suck.

e: Unrelated: before RSL's home opener tomorrow they will be honoring Albert Rusnak...which is odd because he's still very much not-retired and is in fact playing for the team RSL is hosting that night. :wtc:

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 4, 2022

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

hell yea, give me that sweet league drama

https://twitter.com/tombogert/status/1499829883110936579

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Having seen them both in person, Inter is worse than Cincy.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

Having seen them both in person, Inter is worse than Cincy.
Here's the thing: Inter Miami is a lifestyle brand masquerading as a soccer team while Cincinnati is earnestly trying to compete in MLS.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://twitter.com/MLS/status/1501299792625946625

Still the best celebration for hitting the century mark I've ever seen.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Edward Mass posted:

https://twitter.com/MLS/status/1501299792625946625

Still the best celebration for hitting the century mark I've ever seen.

He was an absolute monster for us, I miss him.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I thought that MLS 1.0 was over when Toronto joined, but this video's release in 2007 proved otherwise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hevYpV7RLP0

BelovedWebPatron
Nov 30, 2015

Edward Mass posted:

I thought that MLS 1.0 was over when Toronto joined, but this video's release in 2007 proved otherwise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hevYpV7RLP0

I'd never seen that before. Maybe not a great song or video but I appreciate the earnestness, reminds me of Rivers Cuomo's song for the USMNT at the World Cup in 2010 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7nCt6vWOxQ&t=145s

I like that MLS has had the same YouTube channel since like 2006 and has never to my knowledge deleted any videos from it, they have like fifteen years of history documented on there, a lot of it in terrible quality, but it's still interesting to see

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://twitter.com/NashvilleSC/status/1501984991823155202

Another naming sponsor I've never heard of.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

some sort of french logistics company with its NA headquarters in suburban Nashville iirc

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Sounds like Bradley Wright-Phillips is going to take up a roll in NYRB’s front office dealing with recruitment I guess, trying to keep a pipeline of English talent coming to MLS.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

More Andy Polo news

https://twitter.com/JeffreyCarlisle/status/1502133815115804672?s=20&t=yvLJOYeB2TqkL4rC99GGRQ

more evidence of a cover up
and the front office has said they will not comment further until the MLS investigation is done

This has got to end with Merritt Paulson being forced to sell, one would hope

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I'm going to say something very controversial, yet brave: the Timbers FO should be fired...out of a cannon, into the sun. Merritt twice.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I’ve been super busy the last couple of days running snowboard comps but I’m about to call my rep about a refund.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Couple of nice goals this weekend

https://twitter.com/MLS/status/1503408029424881671?s=19

I'm glad Houston is at least competent enough to beat Vancouver at home

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

G-Hawk posted:

I'm glad Houston is at least competent enough to beat Vancouver at home

I deeply regret to inform you that this is kind of a low bar this year and I am completely perplexed as to why (aside from my existing priors like "we don't actually have the defenders to play like we're trying to", I guess).

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/tombogert/status/1504091535578648581?s=19

Houston have apparently signed thiaguinho on loan with a buy option. Seems like a perfectly fine low risk/cost move. He has had limited minutes at a senior level so no idea if he's useful, but Houston has been after him for a bit so hopefully the scouts know something. I'd be good with a few more flyers like this for Houston while they're rebuilding.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
My wife and I are in New York for our honeymoon end of April and NYC FC are at home to Philadelphia on the Sunday night. Tickets seem reasonable enough but it’s a 10pm kick off. Is Citi Field safe at that time of night? Do trains/public transport back to Manhattan run so late on a Sunday after a game?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Um...are you sure you're looking at this year's schedule? NYC hosts Philly this Saturday at 1PM at Yankee Stadium. Do you mean the April 24th game vs. Toronto at 5PM at Citi Field?

Queens should be fine. NY subway runs 24/7.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You’re completely right, apologies. I do mean the game against Toronto, April 24th.

What’s the matchday experience like at Citi Field? Drink at the stadium, decent atmosphere etc etc? Thank you.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I'd expect to be extremely disappointed about the atmosphere if you've been to any PL matches, or hell, even Championship. For one, you're going to be watching soccer at a baseball stadium. I haven't been to Citi Field, but I've seen NYCFC at their usual home of Yankee Stadium and boy howdy, most of the sight lines suck (especially with them sticking the away supporter's section in the seats farthest from the field), to say nothing of the field configuration itself. Seriously, look at this poo poo:

Just lol if you're in section 223. Hope you brought binoculars.

As for atmosphere...they're probably in the bottom half of the league tbh. Besides the stadium thing, you need a passionate fan base for a good atmosphere, and when I think of NYCFC, I think of their outside-of-the-stadium shenanigans, not their support inside the stadium.

From what I've heard about alcohol sales at games over in your neck of the woods, you might be pleasantly surprised at how liberal we are about that sort of thing over here (not going to say anything about the quality, but we definitely bring it when it comes to quantity). I also think it's a law you have to sell booze any place where baseball games take place, so you're safe there.

I'd almost suggest going to a Red Bulls game instead, since they have an actual soccer stadium and passionate fans, but alas, they are playing at Orlando that weekend (also it does involve going out to New Jersey, which even most New Yorkers are allergic to).

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Thank you for the informative response.

My wife is a season ticket holder at Man City so it makes sense to see their sister side. I support a side in the sixth tier but, yeah, we still can’t drink in view of the pitch. Before the world paused, we always tried to find some lower/non league side when we visited somewhere but struggling to find a game in NY while we are there other than the MLS game.

We will have a chat about this game against Toronto. Sorry to labour the point but I’m worried about safety getting home at that time of night, but hopefully a big crowd on the same transport methods as us should alleviate some concerns.

BelovedWebPatron
Nov 30, 2015

For what it is worth I have heard that many NYC fans prefer the sightlines at Citi Field compared to those at Yankee Stadium, as many of the seats (at least for supporters) are closer to the pitch than they are at Yankee Stadium. This article in The Athletic discusses it.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I have also been been to a NYCFC game at Yankee stadium and while I am a NYRB fan and thus admittedly biased (I am a Yankees fan though) it is truly just a terrible way to watch a match. The field dimensions are small, the sight lines suck, certain sections are more or less entirely devoid of supporters due to distance from the field so the whole thing feels disjointed.

I have not been to citi field for a soccer match so I can’t comment on how a soccer field fits in there, but I have been there for several Mets games and you shouldn’t have to worry about safety, the 7 train drops you off basically right on the stadium doorstep and there will be other fans there.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://theathletic.com/3194631/2022/03/18/mls-media-rights-deal-not-likely-to-be-a-game-changer-sources-say/

Not the best update overall here -

quote:

The main linear broadcasters at the table are current MLS partners ESPN and Univision, the sources said, though neither appears to be interested in offering a paradigm-shifting deal for a league that has long struggled to attract strong viewership.

The sources expect that ESPN will end up with a deal to carry a similar number of matches on its family of networks as it does in the current agreement.

Univision, multiple sources said, is keener on the new Leagues Cup tournament that will begin in 2023 than it is in airing MLS regular season or playoff contests, but it will likely end up with the primary Spanish-language rights to both.

All were also in agreement that it’s unlikely MLS receives a huge rights fee from American linear broadcasters this time around. A streaming partner coming in with a lucrative offer could change the overall calculus, but sources said not to expect a wild increase in the overall number. Some sources speculated that the all-in total from American broadcasters will be in the ballpark of $200 million per year. Others expect the annual sum to fall closer to $150 million.

A bunch more in the article, but those are the topline points. Theres also major problems around who would actually pay for production for the massive pile of other matches that no one seems to particularly want very much. It sounds likely we're going to get something fairly similar to the status quo, at least for the next few years, for better or worse. The simple fact is MLS tv ratings are pretty bad, and I'd guess streaming numbers don't look great either, and no one seems particularly eagerly to fork over a bunch of money. Teams are likely going to see only a modest increase in tv revenue based on this, which will also probably mean salary caps aren't going to substantially change soon. I know MLS is really focused on using the 2026 world cup as a launch pad for the league, and hopefully it works, but TV/streaming deals along these lines aren't going to do much to accelerate growth to any degree.

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 18, 2022

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
What about secondary English-language broadcaster? Is it still Fox Sports, or is someone else?

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

What about secondary English-language broadcaster? Is it still Fox Sports, or is someone else?

The article suggested no clear bid as of now but one source was basically like I'd guess fox comes in for a similar package as they have now. So maybe?

The bigger issue is that all the non national TV games, which no teams have local TV deals lined up as of now. And no one seems super interested in producing them all. And it seems like streaming services aren't as excited as mls hoped about a massive pile of soccer matches between mls, the leagues cup, and mls next pro.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://mobile.twitter.com/ElViajero87/status/1505225612830646277

ICFM is a black hole.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Made the April GDT a bit early

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/mrkmcclr/status/1510381493201379338

The missing teams would be Austin, Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami, Nashville, :rip: Miami 1.0 and :rip: Tampa Bay. I'd be down to see him get those 5 that he still can.

highme
May 25, 2001

Timbers/Thorns lose their second social media manager in as many months. Pretty sure the only people that are gonna want that job moving forward have Barstool somewhere in the bio.

https://twitter.com/taylormorgz/status/1511086010456629249

Relatedly

https://twitter.com/SebiSalazarFUT/status/1511063965387743233

mud338
Mar 24, 2005

I drew something
You’re leaving out how that tried calling the dad of an adult in an effort to get them to change their clothes.

highme
May 25, 2001

mud338 posted:

You’re leaving out how that tried calling the dad of an adult in an effort to get them to change their clothes.

I thought she'd included that bit in her first tweeet TBH. I've seen so many variants I just wanted to grab the one that Sebi had replied to.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Atlanta must have some sort of vendetta against knees: Josef Martinez out 6-8 weeks and Ozzie Alonso has a torn ACL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Third round draw for the USOC where most of the MLS teams enter:

whypick1 posted:

And the results:

Northeast
New York Red Bulls @ Hartford Atlantic
DC United @ Flower City Union
FC Motown @ Rochester

Piedmont
Charlotte FC @ Greenville Triumph
North Carolina Fusion U23 @ Richmond Kickers

Central
Columbus Crew @ Detroit City FC (which means I get to see Gyasi Zardes' terrible first touch in person)
Pittsburgh Riverhounds @ FC Cincinnati

North
Union Omaha @ Chicago Fire
St Louis City 2 @ Louisville City
Minnesota United @ Forward Madison

Mountain
New Mexico United @ Phoenix Rising
Northern Colorado Hailstorm @ Real Salt Lake

Northern California
Bay Cities FC @ San Jose Earthquakes
Central Valley Fuego @ Sacramento Republic

Southern California
California United Strikers @ FC Tucson (Tucson is very much in Arizona, but they lost a coinflip with Phoenix as to who would be put into this region)
San Diego Loyal @ LA Galaxy (Landon Donovan homecoming)
Orange County SC @ LAFC

Texas
Rio Grande Valley Toros @ Houston Dynamo (Wilmer Cabrera homecoming)
Austin FC @ San Antonio FC
FC Tulsa @ FC Dallas

Southeast
Chattanooga United @ Atlanta United
South Georgia Tormenta @ Birmingham Legion

Florida
Inter Miami @ Miami FC
Tampa Bay Rowdies @ Orlando City