Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

whypick1 posted:

Ozzie Alonso has a torn ACL

:rip:

He was already very old for a dmid, there is no way he's coming back from an ACL at his age. I was hoping he'd sign a 1 day contract with Seattle before he retires, but I think him and Garth hate each other at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Oh yeah, the best defensive mid to play MLS is gonna set the record for most fouls in Vancouver this weekend.

https://twitter.com/ryantclarke/status/1512160008649146370?s=21&t=Nq3xgnwg0x_eSnb9TEQsWQ

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

highme posted:

Oh yeah, the best defensive mid to play MLS is gonna set the record for most fouls in Vancouver this weekend.

Um, I just posted about the best ever MLS d-mid having a torn ACL, try to keep up.

highme
May 25, 2001

Even Alonso doesn’t believe that.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

whypick1 posted:

https://twitter.com/mrkmcclr/status/1510381493201379338

The missing teams would be Austin, Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami, Nashville, :rip: Miami 1.0 and :rip: Tampa Bay. I'd be down to see him get those 5 that he still can.

Kamara's a legend, probably my favourite player who's never played for my team

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://twitter.com/ChrisBils/status/1512571556358197250

Goddamnit, just when I get a new avatar a guy possibly does a crime.

highme
May 25, 2001

Quality take, hope your avatar is ok.

highme
May 25, 2001

This didn’t happen in a vacuum and there’s the absolute possibility of a victim somewhere. But you’re focusing the attention on your new avatar?

Just a trash bag human move. Merritt would love your moxie.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

highme posted:

This didn’t happen in a vacuum and there’s the absolute possibility of a victim somewhere. But you’re focusing the attention on your new avatar?

relax, francis

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

highme posted:

There’s also the possibility that he got a speeding ticket. It’s ok to make jokes.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

We're only about 20% of the way through the season, but 5 of the 7 playoff spots in the West are currently held by teams that missed the playoffs entirely last year.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

binge crotching posted:

We're only about 20% of the way through the season, but 5 of the 7 playoff spots in the West are currently held by teams that missed the playoffs entirely last year.

one of the eastern playoff spots is currently occupied by a team that didnt exist last year, and their manager gave us the the thread title just before the season

Also, the supporters shield and mls cup winner last year currently occupy 12th and 13th in the east respectively

Major league soccer

BelovedWebPatron
Nov 30, 2015

Unhappy scenes in Kansas City from Saturday
https://mobile.twitter.com/PresidentWariO/status/1513003709017505794
And awkward follow-up statement from the fans he confronted
https://twitter.com/FCUltrasSKC/status/1513014411136544768/photo/1

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

BelovedWebPatron posted:

Unhappy scenes in Kansas City from Saturday
https://mobile.twitter.com/PresidentWariO/status/1513003709017505794
And awkward follow-up statement from the fans he confronted
https://twitter.com/FCUltrasSKC/status/1513014411136544768/photo/1

That has to be a lengthy suspension for Russel? Players going into stands is a big no-no

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Wow, who does he think he is, Ronaldo?

Just kidding, Russell's not a piece of poo poo who can't enter the country without instantly getting arrested.

BelovedWebPatron
Nov 30, 2015

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

That has to be a lengthy suspension for Russel? Players going into stands is a big no-no

I don't think he actually enters the stands, there's a stanchion of advertisement boards that he jumps over but there's another wall you have to get over to actually get into the stands that's obscured in the video. Still I wouldn't be that surprised to see a statement from the club about it and maybe discipline for Russell.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://twitter.com/samstejskal/status/1513903681909010434

Apple TV+ would simplify most international broadcasting rights, at least.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

im gonna be annoyed if MLS rights end up on basically the only plausible service or network I don't have for other things (appletv+)

it seems increasingly likely though that MLS isn;'t going to get the kind of money they were hoping for. The absolutely atrocious TV ratings so far this season likely are not helping.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

G-Hawk posted:

im gonna be annoyed if MLS rights end up on basically the only plausible service or network I don't have for other things (appletv+)

it seems increasingly likely though that MLS isn;'t going to get the kind of money they were hoping for. The absolutely atrocious TV ratings so far this season likely are not helping.

I'm in the same boat; no AppleTV, and I really don't want to pay that much for something I'm only ever going to watch soccer on.

As for TV ratings, MLS needs to just start doing what MLB does, and only show the good/popular teams on the nationwide broadcasts. Pretty much every national broadcast for baseball is one of the Red Sox/Yankees/Dodgers, and it's because they are the most popular, as well as some of the best.

No one wants to watch Dallas at San Jose. Or any game at Yankee Stadium. But if MLS starts only having the big crowds in Portland/Seattle/LA/Atlanta as the home teams on the broadcasts, people will start seeing the crowds, thinking it looks interesting, and then TV ratings might start going up again.

It might also completely backfire, but at least we'll get to watch entertaining games on the national broadcasts. Consistent broadcast days/times would also help a hell of a lot, as would actually having the game start shortly after the broadcast begins, and not 30-40 minutes later. Pregame shows should be a separate event, not the first 30 minutes of the listed broadcast.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I mean, isn't that what ESPN and Fox Sports are doing right now with match choice? It seems every week at least one of the clubs you mentioned are on a national broadcast.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

binge crotching posted:

As for TV ratings, MLS needs to just start doing what MLB does, and only show the good/popular teams on the nationwide broadcasts. Pretty much every national broadcast for baseball is one of the Red Sox/Yankees/Dodgers, and it's because they are the most popular, as well as some of the best.

No one wants to watch Dallas at San Jose. Or any game at Yankee Stadium. But if MLS starts only having the big crowds in Portland/Seattle/LA/Atlanta as the home teams on the broadcasts, people will start seeing the crowds, thinking it looks interesting, and then TV ratings might start going up again.

It might also completely backfire, but at least we'll get to watch entertaining games on the national broadcasts. Consistent broadcast days/times would also help a hell of a lot, as would actually having the game start shortly after the broadcast begins, and not 30-40 minutes later. Pregame shows should be a separate event, not the first 30 minutes of the listed broadcast.

I dont really want to get into a big europe vs mls derail and i say this as a mls fan but

This is what MLS tries to do, the challenge is that because of some combination of lack of stars, the low salary cap, enforced parity, and international competition, there are not clear cut good/popular teams in the sense that other leagues or sports have them. I understand the reasons why and there are merits to the way MLS does things, especially in terms of financial sustainability, but its really not a league currently structured to deliver high tv ratings, and unfortunately tv money is a very important revenue driver for sports.

Having good crowds helps but it only gets you so far and to an extent is more novelty than a long term draw. From a national perspective, there just arent cant miss teams or cant miss games. If you look at a weeekend schedule its often hard to even say which games neutrals should watch.

Theres better quality soccer on tv than mls nearly everyday, with players that casual fans know more, identifiable storylines and stakes, and its very easy to identify who the best teams to watch are. City vs liverpool is the national tv red sox vs yankees game to casual fans. Or chelsea vs madrid. Or whichever combo of big european teams is on each week. Its very hard for mls to make the case why portland vs seattle should be instead, unless you live in the pacific northwest. Thats the tv ratings problem.

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 14, 2022

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

LA Galaxy and LAFC will be playing a friendly against Chivas and Club America, respectively, at SoFi Stadium (where the Rams and Chargers play)...a venue that FIFA deemed unsuitable for soccer matches due to field dimensions...the Rams are owned by Stan Kroenke, who also owns the Colorado Rapids and goddamn Arsenal...

:ughh:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

LA Galaxy and LAFC will be playing a friendly against Chivas and Club America, respectively, at SoFi Stadium (where the Rams and Chargers play)...a venue that FIFA deemed unsuitable for soccer matches due to field dimensions...the Rams are owned by Stan Kroenke, who also owns the Colorado Rapids and goddamn Arsenal...

Your quote before the ... makes it look like this would be a 22v22 exhibition match of utter chaos, and hell I'd be down for that.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 15, 2022

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/tombogert/status/1515003912872419329

pretty healthy fee there, especially with sell on fees. 5th or 6th largest outbound MLS fee ever.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

G-Hawk posted:

Theres better quality soccer on tv than mls nearly everyday, with players that casual fans know more, identifiable storylines and stakes, and its very easy to identify who the best teams to watch are. City vs liverpool is the national tv red sox vs yankees game to casual fans. Or chelsea vs madrid. Or whichever combo of big european teams is on each week. Its very hard for mls to make the case why portland vs seattle should be instead, unless you live in the pacific northwest. Thats the tv ratings problem.

That's why I was saying they should have the same 6-8 teams with a good home environment be the games they show on TV. Get more people watching Portland at home, watching Atlanta at home, etc. With a good spectacle to watch on TV every week, casual fans will start to find teams to follow and enjoy, and will learn those storylines. It wouldn't take too long for people to figure out why they should watch Seattle host Portland.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Things appear to be rather :tif: down in San Jose right now:

https://twitter.com/JmooreQuakes/status/1515145386070970373

Now I want to watch their game tomorrow to see if he just up and leaves the stadium during halftime, if not sooner.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The whole thing where the Quakes dropped relatively big money on a relatively big name for a manager only to spend next to nothing to give him something resembling a squad that he wanted has been just incredible.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I too want to get paid for not working

highme
May 25, 2001

There’s always more and it’s always worse.

https://twitter.com/ebonic25/status/1515403277885747210?s=21&t=Ygt_2VNdKKVNOPoBUMAVzg

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Jesus titty-loving Christ. That's almost literally what they did with Riley.

May the Timbers and Thorns lose every game 6-0 with no home fans in attendance until Paulson sells the teams and Wilkinson fucks off permanently...

...then keep losing for a couple more years because I'm an unabashed Seattle fan.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

And the foregone conclusion...concludes.

https://twitter.com/tombogert/status/1515500540842713091

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Crazy Ted posted:

The whole thing where the Quakes dropped relatively big money on a relatively big name for a manager only to spend next to nothing to give him something resembling a squad that he wanted has been just incredible.

I mean yes the Quakes are cheap but didn't he get a fair few players he wanted that just turned out to be expensive wastemen?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Dallan Invictus posted:

I mean yes the Quakes are cheap but didn't he get a fair few players he wanted that just turned out to be expensive wastemen?

Indeed, the players he chose certainly didn't have a stellar track record with the team:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxcktMXuYy8

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
:rip: Brad Guzan, another Five Stripe sacrifice to the Achilles God.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
I turned the ATXFC game off when they went down 2-0 and looked disinterested doing it. Can't believe they managed to come back and win.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

And it's official. Can't wait to see how SJ fucks up the coaching search this time (Klinsmann?).

https://twitter.com/SJEarthquakes/status/1516144586011275264

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

:rip: Brad Guzan, another Five Stripe sacrifice to the Achilles God.

Officially a ruptured Achilles, so that's probably the season for him.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.

humpthewind posted:

I turned the ATXFC game off when they went down 2-0 and looked disinterested doing it. Can't believe they managed to come back and win.

three of the ugliest goals but eh, they all count

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Did Almeyda coach his weird man to man defense at Chivas also? For a guy who managed Chivas to their most successful period in 50 years, Almeyda not being able to figure out defense with SJ is kinda bizarre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

whypick1 posted:

JFC how hard would it have been for someone like Stan Kroenke to tell his architects "oh yeah, and also make sure this stadium meets all FIFA World Cup requirements." :bang:

NFL have been building FIFA complaint stadia since after USA were 1994 World Cup hosts.