Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
The Caps seem to have done all their offseason buying last summer so aside from losing Crepeau for Unspecified Personal Reasons (which, according to the LA Times, come down to being unhappy that they fired Dos Santos, who he's always been close to), they're basically the same team that gave us that whole crazy fall ride, except now with an entire season at home.

So I'm optimistic, but as ever prepared for disappointment because That's MLS Baby, Welcome Back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

G-Hawk posted:

I'm glad Houston is at least competent enough to beat Vancouver at home

I deeply regret to inform you that this is kind of a low bar this year and I am completely perplexed as to why (aside from my existing priors like "we don't actually have the defenders to play like we're trying to", I guess).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

The whole thing where the Quakes dropped relatively big money on a relatively big name for a manager only to spend next to nothing to give him something resembling a squad that he wanted has been just incredible.

I mean yes the Quakes are cheap but didn't he get a fair few players he wanted that just turned out to be expensive wastemen?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

There actually was a pool goalie last year (Greg Ranjitsingh), but TFC signed him in the offseason and he doesn't appear to have been replaced. There was also a pool keeper in 2020 (2 apparently!), but Vancouver couldn't use one when everyone got injured at MLS Is Back because of paperwork relating to being a Canadian team, so Hasal started and they borrowed one of Montreal's backups IIRC.

(as an aside, there is a Wikipedia entry on the pool keepers and it's a rollercoaster ranging from Hey It's That Guy (Rowe, Konopka, and Stuver got their pro starts in the pool) to Literally Who? (half the names don't even have other entries!))

Anyway they've loaned in a CPL keeper for the weekend and also brought along Max Anchor, one of the teenage goalies from the surprisingly good Next Pro team - not sure which of the two will start but I suppose Vancouver's bizarre goalkeeping curse might launch another career tomorrow?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 21, 2022

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

If Cropper and Boehmer aren't out of COVID protocols by then (which I suspect is what they're betting on), maybe they'll bring in Alexander from WFC2? He's on an amateur contract and probably wants to protect NCAA eligibility so won't sign with MLS for a league game, but maybe the CanChamp is less of a problem for that?

idk

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

That is definitely A Choice, and they were really looking like having turned a corner too.

Honestly I can't think of who has a hot seat right now. Maybe Savarese or Vermes but they've both been around so long they must have a lot of rope. Sartini and Pineda have been utterly cursed by injuries, Neville seems to have figured out that Higuain was the problem, Losada and Almeyda have already been fired, Toronto and Seattle are clearly just Waiting for Summer...who else?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

G-Hawk posted:

I guess karol swiderski runs a mls team now

Following in the footsteps of Josef Martinez and, somehow, Chris Seitz?

I don't know why insane disciplinarian coaches seem to get fired based on player complaints more often in MLS than anywhere else but I guess the union has something to do with it.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Ya know, there hasn't been any recent chatter about the upcoming TV deals.

There's been speculation but it's mostly been in podcast or substack form (this is the most recent I've seen). I don't think MLS is going to get the one-stop shop they (or maybe just some fans) dreamed of when they told all the teams to ensure their local deals expired this year, but it seems like some combination of ESPN/FOX/Apple TV are still in the mix somehow.

I still struggle to believe they're going to get the hoped-for massive increase in revenue but dude seems optimistic and I've seen TV execs do dumber things in my life.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Apparently they're still negotiating with TV stations but there won't be any ESPN/FOX/whatever exclusives, the Apple service will have Every Game, Everywhere, etc.

Some highlights from an industry news article:

quote:

MLS still is negotiating with linear TV networks, including ESPN and Fox. However, those games would not be exclusive to the broadcasters; they would simulcast with Apple. MLS execs said that Apple is not paying a straight rights fee for the package of rights. Rather, Apple is paying a minimum guarantee that sources say is worth $250M per year starting in ‘23. MLS will start to bring in more revenue as Apple sell subscriptions for a newly launched MLS subscription offering.

(...)

The main component of this deal, though, is a subscription service that will have every MLS game with no blackouts. The yet-to-be-named streaming service will live within the Apple TV app and will include every game, including ones that previously were part of national TV packages on ESPN, Fox and Univision and those that aired locally under individual club deals. The newly expanded Leagues Cup featuring every MLS and Liga MX club will also be included in the service, as will select MLS NEXT Pro and MLS NEXT matches. MLS and Apple execs said that they have not yet developed a price point for the service, but all MLS season-ticket holders will receive access to the package at no additional charge. MLS will produce all of its matches, something Garber said will require a “significant” investment, but will ensure consistency across the league and allow for more technological innovation.

(...)

Apple’s MLS deal will start next season, coinciding with a restructuring of the MLS schedule that will see most regular-season matches played on Saturday nights. Having a series of matches on Saturday nights with staggered start times will allow the league to offer a whip-around show akin to NFL Red Zone through its new streaming service and Apple TV+. There will still be some mid-week games, primarily on Wednesday nights. Some matches could be played in other time slots based on stadium conflicts or linear TV scheduling.

There's a lot of good things here, though I selfishly hope TSN will at least keep broadcasting the Canadian teams so I don't have to rejigger my subscriptions AGAIN. Guess that's it for my DAZN sub if they're losing both the PL and MLS in one year.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 14, 2022

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Ciprian Maricon posted:

What an absolutely robbery from Big Donny Garber here, really benefitting from the streaming wars.

I LIKE MLS and I cannot believe they pulled a 250m+/year streaming deal, what in the world

quote:

Most games being on Saturdays will be really good, although that means either the season is going to be extended yet again, or they'll play through the international breaks, since there is no way they are reducing the number of games.

I am once again asking for Decision Day first Saturday of November and run the playoffs entirely after the November international break.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 14, 2022

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

All the more reason for Don to be flexible negotiating with whoever their Linear TV Partners are going to be (ESPN/FOX/TUDN/TSN up here). With Apple they're not as important for revenue (obv every dollar counts) as for exposure/marketing.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

G-Hawk posted:

edit: I'm not particularly thrilled with the league scheduling even more matches on wednesday and saturday night however. What exactly is the point of a leagewide streaming package if all the games are at the same time? I generally prefer matches to be on Sunday anyway, or Saturday afternoon, or Friday evening even. A bunch of saturday night kickoffs are fine, and obviously in the summer earlier kick-offs are a bad idea in a lot of places...but in my opinion this is the exact opposite of what they should do.

Yeah, I'm less thrilled with the scheduling but people want consistency about "when's the soccer on" and this is a way to get that. Given that games will be spread across, what, three or four time zones (plus they're still leaving open the possibility of moves for whatever national broadcasters they get + venue conflicts) I'm pretty sure that there'll still be a decent spread of times.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Local TV/RSNs usually want local exclusivity (and thus blackouts in market), and the league no longer wants to give that to anyone. I think there's still room for local or national deals with any broadcaster prepared to live without a blackout on streaming, but obviously we'll just have to see what comes out of the boardrooms.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Let no one say that TFC's front office don't know their audience.

I don't THINK Criscito will be enough of a boost to their defense (which seems like the actual problem) for them to turn the season around but it sure is fun to watch them try.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Good: bringing in an actually competent wingback for surprisingly few Garberbucks

Bad: would have been nice if he had been warned and we could presume he wanted to play for us!

Worse: contributing to the misery of the surprisingly high number of DCU fans I like

Better: contributing to the misery of all the Atlanta fans that wanted him back, because gently caress'em

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 15, 2022

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

DC is starting a CB too young to drive tonight, and, OP, I hope he does well because I really need RSL to lose tonight

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 11, 2022

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

whypick1 posted:

Article on Marcelo Balboa and Richard Fleming's last broadcast for Colorado happening today. Mentions Apple looking to recruit 5-7 pairs of English and Spanish broadcasters but nothing on if any of the current broadcasters are being considered/have applied.

Bit of a shame, they were definitely one of the top broadcasting duos in the league year-in year-out.

MLS are looking for 10-14 broadcast pairs (I feel like they would need slightly more than that) and I hope that's room for some of the better local teams around the league, though I know it won't be the same in terms of fanbase, team, and commentary crew getting to know each other and establishing a relationship etc. I hope the games will at least be called onsite!

probably still worth it in terms of killing blackouts, etc, as much as I dislike Apple!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Similarly neat: four of the five teams still fighting for 3 open spots in the East play each other midweek (CLT-CLB, MIA-ORL) and then Orlando host Columbus next week.

Charlotte (41pts, 13 wins, -6 GD: vs CLB, @ NYRB): need to win out or at the VERY least beat Columbus and hope Miami beats Orlando, because otherwise two of the three teams they are chasing are guaranteed to reach 46pts (since they play Columbus and the other two play each other), and a win and a draw only gets them to 45.

The rest, we'll know more after Wednesday's slate but right now it's kind of a clusterfuck and none of the other 4 can be eliminated before Sunday:

Cincinnati (46pts, 11 wins, 5 GD: @ DC)
Orlando (45pts, 13 wins, -7 GD: @ MIA, vs CLB)
Miami: (45pts, 13 wins, -10 GD: vs ORL, vs MTL)
Columbus: (45pts, 10 wins, +6 GD: @ CLT, @ ORL)

Also neat, though less similarly:

https://twitter.com/OptaJack/status/1576605426434514945

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I just assume AS don't know what they're talking about and are vaguely speculating for their own reasons (presumably related to spinning endless transfer rumors linking former La Liga superstars to Inter Miami) so I wouldn't put too much weight on any specific thing happening with roster rules after the Apple deal (except the cap hike that's already in the CBA) until someone reliable reports it.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

On one hand I liked two legged playoffs and was annoyed by the shift to singles while recognizing the timing made it necessary, and have since been pleasantly surprised by how much I've enjoyed the new format

on the other hand jesus gently caress let something breathe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I believe it's the same Egyptian billionaire who was supposed to be behind the Vegas Villains bid (the one who owns Aston Villa with Edens) so v0v?