Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Welcome to the 27th season of Major League Soccer

Seen here: not the wildest MLS Cup victory celebration as no strip clubs were involved (only because Portland lost this one...most strip clubs per capita, look it up)

For those of you who are lost, this is the season thread for Major League Soccer Soccer Dot Com, the tier 1 league for the US (and 3 Canadian teams). We're the bastard redheaded middle stepchild of soccer leagues: we don't have the money and glamour of the big Euro leagues or the scrappiness and chaos of your South American leagues but we do have two things those others don't have: actual competition and fiscal solvency (which hopefully isn't solely being propped up by expansion fees resembling a Ponzi scheme...). In this thread we'll talk about stuff that happens in the league outside of the whistles; there will either be a monthly Gameday Thread as per usual or maybe we'll go to a permanent GDT. I'll let someone else figure that one out.

For the regulars, welcome back. This year we've got a new team in Charlotte FC (:geno:), which pushed Nashville (who will be opening their new soccer-specific stadium in May) to the West so that we have 2 conferences of 14. Still have the 34 game schedule (newcomers: yes, that means it's an unbalanced schedule; no, you pointing out that's not how it's done in Europe is going to change anything, so STFU), but things are a tiny bit compressed so that the season wraps up before the FIFA Massive Grift World Cup in Human Rights Violations-stan Qatar in November.

Quick recap of last year: Austin joined the league, scored a hilarious percentage of their goals against Portland and opened their SSS, but ultimately sucked. Columbus and Cincy also opened new stadiums and coincidentally also sucked (:tinfoil:). New England blitzkrieged the rest of the East to set the single season points record while Colorado sneakily took the West on the last day of the season by a single point. All of the CA, TX and OH teams missed the playoffs (:laugh:). Said playoffs featured lots of games decided by penalty shootout: Seattle lost at home to RSL, who didn't even register a single shot in 120'; Nashville went 0-4 (!!!) in their spot kicks to get bounced by Philly, who then had to play the Conference Final without most of their starters due to COVID; NYCFC took down the Shield winners at New England by acing their kicks 5-3, made it to MLS Cup by beating Team Quarantine and prevailed in PKs again (Portland's equalizing goal should've been called off due to a foul in the leadup, don't @ me :colbert:), with Sean Johnson coming up big twice to give them the trophy (and the celebration seen above).

This offseason saw a bunch of young domestic talent get sold overseas and lots of rather sizeable inter-league trades as well. Some of the big name imports include Lorenzo Insigne (Toronto), Xherdan Shaqiri (Chicago) and Douglas Costa (Galaxy). Oh, and Portland's FO being an absolute dumpster fire is not just limited to the Thorns, with them covering up a domestic violence incident involving one of their players last year, giving him a contract extension before dumping him only after the victim went public on Peruvian TV. Don't want people to forget that (and not just because I'm a fan of their biggest rival, but because heads need to loving roll over this poo poo but sadly probably won't).

If you want to be a cool kid and watch MLS, you should see games in person. Failing that, your local team (hopefully) has a local broadcast deal, which varies wildly from "every game on an OTA broadcaster" to "regularly picks fights with the cable monopoly for the region, screwing over fans". Out-of-market games that aren't nationally televised are on ESPN+ (and I really hope they stay there with the next TV deal because all of the other options suck, blow or somehow both suck and blow). Said nationally broadcast games will be on some combination of ESPN1/2, FS1, UniMas/Univision Deports/Twitter (generally one game on each every weekend) with a select few being broadcast on big-boy ABC and FOX.

After a two year hiatus due to *gestures outside* the US Open Cup returns as a concurrent competition (everyone but the Canadian teams, because duh; starts April for most teams) along with the CONCACAF Champions League (NYCFC, Colorado, New England, Seattle, Montreal; currently happening), Leagues Cup vs. LigaMX (Philly, Nashville, SKC, Portland; later this summer) and the Campeones Cup between NYCFC and 2021 Apertura/2022 Clausura LigaMX Winner (Atlas vs. TBD) in probably September.

Who's ready for 476 regular season and 13 playoff games? (Me, and hopefully you too)
Will Cincy pick up their 4th straight Wooden Spoon? (Maybe, let's see how the first game against Charlotte goes)
Will people keep fellating LAFC simply because they have Carlos Vela? (Yes)
Will Chicago win the World cup now that they have The Powercube? (Only if gets moved to CB like Schweinsteiger)
Are you still reading this? (Paradoxically, no)

Source of thread title:

https://twitter.com/Topbin90/status/1491892041307103236
(They had a DP signing in the wings that got scuttled at the last second because he had legal problems back in Spain)

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

binge crotching posted:

Any team could win it all right now, even Cincy.

Mods?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Cincy: "We're committed to fixing our defense so we don't get a fourth straight Wooden Spoon. This includes upgrading at the keeper position"

*gives up 5 goals without a single save on opening day*

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

whypick1 posted:

Out-of-market games that aren't nationally televised are on ESPN+ (and I really hope they stay there with the next TV deal because all of the other options suck, blow or somehow both suck and blow).

I think I jinxed it:

https://twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/1498424713575604233

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Derp, but that could still be a harbinger for MLS' rights if neither ESPN or FOX Sports gets the USSF contract.

It's kinda sad how the Disney network is the least worst option out of all of them (see: me throwing a shitfit over FOX Sports bumping the Sounders CCL match to the web for the start of a loving college basketball game).

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

G-Hawk posted:

Hector Herrera reportedly signing with Houston, will join in the Summer. Biggest signing in club history, if accurate.

Es oficial ahora.

No dollar amounts given, but I can definitely believe that it would be their biggest signing.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

So in KC's match at Atlanta Vermes made a sub at 50' then yanked the sub at 74'

This is that sub:

https://twitter.com/TheBackpost/status/1499073200315056129?s=20&t=Zv-n2L81sY_9K8O-L39bSA

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Too soon to change the thread title?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Goddammit MLS managers, have none of you seen The Incredibles? If all of you claim to suck, then none of you suck.

e: Unrelated: before RSL's home opener tomorrow they will be honoring Albert Rusnak...which is odd because he's still very much not-retired and is in fact playing for the team RSL is hosting that night. :wtc:

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 4, 2022

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I'm going to say something very controversial, yet brave: the Timbers FO should be fired...out of a cannon, into the sun. Merritt twice.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Um...are you sure you're looking at this year's schedule? NYC hosts Philly this Saturday at 1PM at Yankee Stadium. Do you mean the April 24th game vs. Toronto at 5PM at Citi Field?

Queens should be fine. NY subway runs 24/7.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I'd expect to be extremely disappointed about the atmosphere if you've been to any PL matches, or hell, even Championship. For one, you're going to be watching soccer at a baseball stadium. I haven't been to Citi Field, but I've seen NYCFC at their usual home of Yankee Stadium and boy howdy, most of the sight lines suck (especially with them sticking the away supporter's section in the seats farthest from the field), to say nothing of the field configuration itself. Seriously, look at this poo poo:

Just lol if you're in section 223. Hope you brought binoculars.

As for atmosphere...they're probably in the bottom half of the league tbh. Besides the stadium thing, you need a passionate fan base for a good atmosphere, and when I think of NYCFC, I think of their outside-of-the-stadium shenanigans, not their support inside the stadium.

From what I've heard about alcohol sales at games over in your neck of the woods, you might be pleasantly surprised at how liberal we are about that sort of thing over here (not going to say anything about the quality, but we definitely bring it when it comes to quantity). I also think it's a law you have to sell booze any place where baseball games take place, so you're safe there.

I'd almost suggest going to a Red Bulls game instead, since they have an actual soccer stadium and passionate fans, but alas, they are playing at Orlando that weekend (also it does involve going out to New Jersey, which even most New Yorkers are allergic to).

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Made the April GDT a bit early

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/mrkmcclr/status/1510381493201379338

The missing teams would be Austin, Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami, Nashville, :rip: Miami 1.0 and :rip: Tampa Bay. I'd be down to see him get those 5 that he still can.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Atlanta must have some sort of vendetta against knees: Josef Martinez out 6-8 weeks and Ozzie Alonso has a torn ACL.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Third round draw for the USOC where most of the MLS teams enter:

whypick1 posted:

And the results:

Northeast
New York Red Bulls @ Hartford Atlantic
DC United @ Flower City Union
FC Motown @ Rochester

Piedmont
Charlotte FC @ Greenville Triumph
North Carolina Fusion U23 @ Richmond Kickers

Central
Columbus Crew @ Detroit City FC (which means I get to see Gyasi Zardes' terrible first touch in person)
Pittsburgh Riverhounds @ FC Cincinnati

North
Union Omaha @ Chicago Fire
St Louis City 2 @ Louisville City
Minnesota United @ Forward Madison

Mountain
New Mexico United @ Phoenix Rising
Northern Colorado Hailstorm @ Real Salt Lake

Northern California
Bay Cities FC @ San Jose Earthquakes
Central Valley Fuego @ Sacramento Republic

Southern California
California United Strikers @ FC Tucson (Tucson is very much in Arizona, but they lost a coinflip with Phoenix as to who would be put into this region)
San Diego Loyal @ LA Galaxy (Landon Donovan homecoming)
Orange County SC @ LAFC

Texas
Rio Grande Valley Toros @ Houston Dynamo (Wilmer Cabrera homecoming)
Austin FC @ San Antonio FC
FC Tulsa @ FC Dallas

Southeast
Chattanooga United @ Atlanta United
South Georgia Tormenta @ Birmingham Legion

Florida
Inter Miami @ Miami FC
Tampa Bay Rowdies @ Orlando City

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

highme posted:

Oh yeah, the best defensive mid to play MLS is gonna set the record for most fouls in Vancouver this weekend.

Um, I just posted about the best ever MLS d-mid having a torn ACL, try to keep up.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Wow, who does he think he is, Ronaldo?

Just kidding, Russell's not a piece of poo poo who can't enter the country without instantly getting arrested.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

LA Galaxy and LAFC will be playing a friendly against Chivas and Club America, respectively, at SoFi Stadium (where the Rams and Chargers play)...a venue that FIFA deemed unsuitable for soccer matches due to field dimensions...the Rams are owned by Stan Kroenke, who also owns the Colorado Rapids and goddamn Arsenal...

:ughh:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Things appear to be rather :tif: down in San Jose right now:

https://twitter.com/JmooreQuakes/status/1515145386070970373

Now I want to watch their game tomorrow to see if he just up and leaves the stadium during halftime, if not sooner.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Jesus titty-loving Christ. That's almost literally what they did with Riley.

May the Timbers and Thorns lose every game 6-0 with no home fans in attendance until Paulson sells the teams and Wilkinson fucks off permanently...

...then keep losing for a couple more years because I'm an unabashed Seattle fan.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

And the foregone conclusion...concludes.

https://twitter.com/tombogert/status/1515500540842713091

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Dallan Invictus posted:

I mean yes the Quakes are cheap but didn't he get a fair few players he wanted that just turned out to be expensive wastemen?

Indeed, the players he chose certainly didn't have a stellar track record with the team:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxcktMXuYy8

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

And it's official. Can't wait to see how SJ fucks up the coaching search this time (Klinsmann?).

https://twitter.com/SJEarthquakes/status/1516144586011275264

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

:rip: Brad Guzan, another Five Stripe sacrifice to the Achilles God.

Officially a ruptured Achilles, so that's probably the season for him.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Oh poo poo, didn't see this one coming:

https://twitter.com/MLSist/status/1516755366192861190

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

He's talking about DC's friendly against Bayern, not the All-Star Game.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Nostalgia trip:

https://twitter.com/MLSist/status/1519344812998250497

The Crew have really come a long way since, as now the whole team is a trash fire.

MLS Cup 2020? Never heard of it

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Campeones Cup (MLS Cup vs. LigaMX winner) will be September 14 with NYCFC hosting Atlas/2022 Clausura winner at Yankee Stadium (I assume this will change at the last second and the Pigeons will have to play their home game in Maine or some poo poo).

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Friendly reminder that the Seattle Sounders have a CONCACAF Champions League title and your team doesn't.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Speaking of pettiness:

https://twitter.com/MadiShanley/status/1522262821534257153

Super tempted to fly out there for the match.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/ATLUTD/status/1523664622288793600?s=20&t=f0mJEkUrfmHihUsNqOV2zw

Pretty cool how no one on the USMNT can stay healthy :smith:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Guardian article about how the Pigeons are still playing in goddamn Yankee Stadium

quote:

“Yankee Stadium looks a lot worse on TV than in person, in my opinion” ... says Brooklyn-based NYC FC fan Björn Bellenbaum.

As someone who's seen a game there: lolno

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

whypick1 posted:

<list of all the teams Kei Kamara has scored against>

The missing teams would be Austin, Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami, Nashville, :rip: Miami 1.0 and :rip: Tampa Bay. I'd be down to see him get those 5 that he still can.

You can cross Nashville off the list. That also puts him tied for 4th all-time with Jaime Moreno at 133 and 1 behind Jeff Cunningham. Landon Donovan sits at 145, Wondo at 171.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

This weekend's games will be the ones where all the teams wear the recycled plastic jerseys that's supposed to raise awareness about something you'll forget about after 2 seconds.

At least they're not "white" and "kinda grey" like some of the versions.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Still keeping the stupid name though.

https://twitter.com/cfmontreal/status/1530198557021675520

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Cool, another national team keeper firmly glued to bench in Europe. At least it will be in La Liga, for a bit of novelty.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Two thoughts:

1. Self-fulfilling prophecy with the quote that gave us the thread title?
2. What the gently caress?

https://twitter.com/CharlotteFC/status/1531615657564962818

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Hasn't even played a full season and didn't have to pay any expansion fees. David Beckham must be pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

whypick1 posted:

...and the Campeones Cup between NYCFC and 2021 Apertura/2022 Clausura LigaMX Winner (Atlas vs. TBD) in probably September.

Atlas won both the Apertura and the Clausura, so this match will be NYCFC hosting Atlas at Yankee Stadium on September 14, 7:20PM EST, with broadcasts on ESPN2 and Univision.