Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

This is the best time of the season. The anticipation, the hopes and dreams, the fears. Any team could win it all right now, even Cincy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

whypick1 posted:

Cincy: "We're committed to fixing our defense so we don't get a fourth straight Wooden Spoon. This includes upgrading at the keeper position"

*gives up 5 goals without a single save on opening day*

:rip:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

whypick1 posted:

Ozzie Alonso has a torn ACL

:rip:

He was already very old for a dmid, there is no way he's coming back from an ACL at his age. I was hoping he'd sign a 1 day contract with Seattle before he retires, but I think him and Garth hate each other at this point.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

We're only about 20% of the way through the season, but 5 of the 7 playoff spots in the West are currently held by teams that missed the playoffs entirely last year.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

G-Hawk posted:

im gonna be annoyed if MLS rights end up on basically the only plausible service or network I don't have for other things (appletv+)

it seems increasingly likely though that MLS isn;'t going to get the kind of money they were hoping for. The absolutely atrocious TV ratings so far this season likely are not helping.

I'm in the same boat; no AppleTV, and I really don't want to pay that much for something I'm only ever going to watch soccer on.

As for TV ratings, MLS needs to just start doing what MLB does, and only show the good/popular teams on the nationwide broadcasts. Pretty much every national broadcast for baseball is one of the Red Sox/Yankees/Dodgers, and it's because they are the most popular, as well as some of the best.

No one wants to watch Dallas at San Jose. Or any game at Yankee Stadium. But if MLS starts only having the big crowds in Portland/Seattle/LA/Atlanta as the home teams on the broadcasts, people will start seeing the crowds, thinking it looks interesting, and then TV ratings might start going up again.

It might also completely backfire, but at least we'll get to watch entertaining games on the national broadcasts. Consistent broadcast days/times would also help a hell of a lot, as would actually having the game start shortly after the broadcast begins, and not 30-40 minutes later. Pregame shows should be a separate event, not the first 30 minutes of the listed broadcast.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

G-Hawk posted:

Theres better quality soccer on tv than mls nearly everyday, with players that casual fans know more, identifiable storylines and stakes, and its very easy to identify who the best teams to watch are. City vs liverpool is the national tv red sox vs yankees game to casual fans. Or chelsea vs madrid. Or whichever combo of big european teams is on each week. Its very hard for mls to make the case why portland vs seattle should be instead, unless you live in the pacific northwest. Thats the tv ratings problem.

That's why I was saying they should have the same 6-8 teams with a good home environment be the games they show on TV. Get more people watching Portland at home, watching Atlanta at home, etc. With a good spectacle to watch on TV every week, casual fans will start to find teams to follow and enjoy, and will learn those storylines. It wouldn't take too long for people to figure out why they should watch Seattle host Portland.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

whypick1 posted:

Friendly reminder that the Seattle Sounders have a CONCACAF Champions League title and your team doesn't.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Vancouver have no goalies right now, and the league got rid of the pool goalie when covid started.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

whypick1 posted:

Two thoughts:

1. Self-fulfilling prophecy with the quote that gave us the thread title?
2. What the gently caress?

https://twitter.com/CharlotteFC/status/1531615657564962818

That's crazy, especially since they are only 2 points out of a playoff spot, and the season isn't even halfway through.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

10 years is way too long, they are getting screwed by the end of that deal. Glad we're getting the free access again for season ticket holders, that was nice with MLS Live.

Most games being on Saturdays will be really good, although that means either the season is going to be extended yet again, or they'll play through the international breaks, since there is no way they are reducing the number of games.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The share of revenue over 250m actually makes that a really good deal then, especially it's a reasonable percentage. I of course didn't bother reading the article, I just saw 250m/10 years.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

harperdc posted:

Having it be a baseline for global rights as well is useful for somebody like me, who cannot legally get MLS because there’s no deal here. And if that also comes with a bump in quality and some other improvements then I’ll be happy.

When I was in Tokyo I just vpned back to the US to watch games, but it's definitely not optimal on a long term basis. I'll be out of the US a couple of times next year, so that part will be a lot better for sure.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

knuthgrush posted:

It'd be wild if Nashville plowed through ORL and RBNY and if SKC beats Sacramento in the open cup. Would be a cool final to see NSH and SKC after their game last week in the main conference.

Or much better would be Sacramento and NY making it to the final, with Sacramento winning so RBNY keep up their tradition of never winning a cup.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

G-Hawk posted:

the not a DP part is interesting

It is, sounds like more accounting shenanigans like Miami was doing.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

gently caress Chivas, but that is a great signing if it's only a TAM deal.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

With Ruidiaz out the Sounders can't score, with Joao Paulo out they can't defend, maybe they should be looking for someone to help out in this transfer window, instead of doing literally nothing.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Edward Mass posted:

It's a bit small, but anything for the Revolution to leave Gillette Stadium.

NY2 will play there before playing at Red Bull Arena again.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

G-Hawk posted:

apparently Houston has sacked Nagamura

https://twitter.com/soccermattersGD/status/1566912169375109120

He was kind of an uninspiring hire and I don't think has done anything to convince, but I also am not sure he has done much wrong and was handed a pretty big turn around job. I guess i'm fine with sacking him but im curious if they have someone else teed up already

His team let Nouhou score, and then proceeded to lose to Seattle who had lost 7 out of the previous 10 games. That's pretty much grounds for firing for any coach.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Every away game I've been to for the Sounders this year they've lost.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

harperdc posted:

Putting all the games on at 7:30 pm local time - even for the west coast teams - is…certainly a choice, but I’m also coming from it as a PAC-12 college football fan told our games go too late. Not sure how many sickos on the east coast will want late night Cascadia or LAFC matches, but sure, fine.

So long as the games stay on Apple+ without an extra charge and without a region block in places MLS doesn’t have a TV deal already I’ll be set.

Didn't they have something like 6 games in the early slot, and only two games in the Pacific slot? Sounds like they might have one or two late afternoon starts on the west coast, which would fit into that 7:30 Eastern slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010