Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BelovedWebPatron
Nov 30, 2015

Just purely looking at the offseason moves made and the injury status of Alan Pulido, I shouldn't expect very much out of SKC this season (The four signings from overseas all look to be projects, and the other relatively major signings we made were Kortne Ford and Ben Sweat, both quality but injury-prone defensive players), but I am as optimistic as I've ever been right now. I expect a relatively big jump from a few of the homegrown players on the senior roster (Hernandez, Duke, Pierre and Rad in particular) and the production from Russell and Salloi last year makes me optimistic even if Khiry Shelton will be in all likelihood the starting striker all season. This is one of the first times in a while that I genuinely don't have a good sense of who's going to be in the initial starting XI for the year, though, which is both intriguing and a little frightening

Mostly, though, I am just so excited to get back to going to matches in-person! I went to like ten last year, I think, and I'm intending to see more this season - especially with the Current playing at Childrens Mercy Park, also apparently SKC II is playing most of their home games in the town I live in, so I intend to go see them as well.

I don't know what to expect but it's always nice to have some optimism at the beginning of the season, even if it might feel unrealistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BelovedWebPatron
Nov 30, 2015

Dallan Invictus posted:

The Caps seem to have done all their offseason buying last summer so aside from losing Crepeau for Unspecified Personal Reasons (which, according to the LA Times, come down to being unhappy that they fired Dos Santos, who he's always been close to), they're basically the same team that gave us that whole crazy fall ride, except now with an entire season at home.

So I'm optimistic, but as ever prepared for disappointment because That's MLS Baby, Welcome Back.

I really hope it works out for Vancouver this year, I would be happy to see Vanni Sartini as a character in MLS for a long time

BelovedWebPatron
Nov 30, 2015

And we're off to a roaring start
https://twitter.com/CincyLe/status/1497341316619026437

BelovedWebPatron
Nov 30, 2015

Edward Mass posted:

I’m guessing NYCFC will have fewer conflicts with Yankee Stadium being in use for the foreseeable future.

I have to imagine that Major League Baseball will have to fully restructure the schedule if they miss a few more deadlines, which might actually create more conflicts between NYCFC and their two baseball stadium homes. I guess we'll see what happens if we get to that point. NYCFC is playing a lot of games at Citi Field in April and May, though, way more than I thought before I checked just now.

I don't want an extended lockout, I like baseball (and I actually would be sort of optimistic for the Royals this year), but I do wonder which MLS teams would theoretically benefit from an extended lockout, as in a few months in length, games not getting started until June or July. I imagine the formula is having a good MLS team, a dormant MLB team, and no NBA/NHL team in an extended playoff run? So Atlanta, maybe? Toronto? I think Houston has a lot to gain if they have a good start to the season, people blame the Astros being good and their stadiums so close for their lack of visible fan support sometimes.

BelovedWebPatron
Nov 30, 2015

Edward Mass posted:

I thought that MLS 1.0 was over when Toronto joined, but this video's release in 2007 proved otherwise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hevYpV7RLP0

I'd never seen that before. Maybe not a great song or video but I appreciate the earnestness, reminds me of Rivers Cuomo's song for the USMNT at the World Cup in 2010 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7nCt6vWOxQ&t=145s

I like that MLS has had the same YouTube channel since like 2006 and has never to my knowledge deleted any videos from it, they have like fifteen years of history documented on there, a lot of it in terrible quality, but it's still interesting to see

BelovedWebPatron
Nov 30, 2015

For what it is worth I have heard that many NYC fans prefer the sightlines at Citi Field compared to those at Yankee Stadium, as many of the seats (at least for supporters) are closer to the pitch than they are at Yankee Stadium. This article in The Athletic discusses it.

BelovedWebPatron
Nov 30, 2015

Unhappy scenes in Kansas City from Saturday
https://mobile.twitter.com/PresidentWariO/status/1513003709017505794
And awkward follow-up statement from the fans he confronted
https://twitter.com/FCUltrasSKC/status/1513014411136544768/photo/1

BelovedWebPatron
Nov 30, 2015

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

That has to be a lengthy suspension for Russel? Players going into stands is a big no-no

I don't think he actually enters the stands, there's a stanchion of advertisement boards that he jumps over but there's another wall you have to get over to actually get into the stands that's obscured in the video. Still I wouldn't be that surprised to see a statement from the club about it and maybe discipline for Russell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BelovedWebPatron
Nov 30, 2015

Ol Donny Dealz fleeced 'em again!