Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Story by Sekka Iwata, Artwork by Yu Aoki.

Magilumiere Co. Ltd. (Serialised in Manga Plus with new chapters every Tuesday) is the story of the adventures and misadventures of the titular startup Magical Girl Company and Kana Sakuragi (above), recent graduate and Magilumiere's latest magical girl as they struggle with monsters (Kaii), politics, and other MG Companies with clashing ideals.

Kana is supported by Magilumiere's first MG, Hitomi Koshigaya. A hot blooded, rough-speaking spellslinger of the Kamina mould who insists that everything related to the job will be a clean sweep.

Filling out the rest of Magilumiere's troupe is (Left to Right) Midorikawa, mission control and company straight man, President Kouji Shigemoto; an idealist MG fanatic (He's not been seen out of that dress as of Ch 8) and Nikoyama, the company's Magic Engineer who gets deep into his work and deeper into a frenzy when working on MG stuff is involved (He designed Kana and Hitoma's MG Outfits and did the former's uniform by taking measurements from eyeshot). They're all bonkers in their own unique way but otherwise they're good guys.

The closest thing to an antagonist we have so far is Koga, the CEO of one of the biggest MG Corporations in japan, AST, who has a more "Profit first, gently caress everything else" approach to things and not being above poaching other company's extermination jobs for themselves. He might have some history with Magilumiere's President! He is absolutely a jackass with some fetish for both clocks and money though!

If I had to describe Magilumiere, I'd say it'd be the Dai Guard to something like Sleepless Domain's Big O.
Like that show it's a pretty fresh take on Magical Girls so I think it's well worth a look.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Yes hello, Magilumiere owns. That is all.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Prez going about his business in a magical girl costume every day is extremely strong energy.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

Magilumiere Co. Ltd. (Serialised in Manga Plus with new chapters every Tuesday) is the story of the adventures and misadventures of the titular startup Magical Girl Company and Kana Sakuragi (above), recent graduate and Magilumiere's latest magical girl as they struggle with monsters (Kaii), politics, and other MG Companies with clashing ideals.

Quick note: at the moment, Manga Plus are doing two chapters a week until they catch up (we're currently at ch. 8, JP is at ch. 16), which should be by ch. 24.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I'm enjoying this. My favourite little thing is the way the spells are basically complicated programs, so instead of "In the name of the moon I will punish you" it's defining arrays and setting variables.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Seems like the antagonist ceo is the brother of the magilumiere ceo.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
... so is it daiguard but magical girls instead of giant robots?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
More or less, more intrested in the business of Magical Girls rather than putting a permanent stop to the monsters.

Elfface posted:

I'm enjoying this. My favourite little thing is the way the spells are basically complicated programs, so instead of "In the name of the moon I will punish you" it's defining arrays and setting variables.

Yeah, its a nice bit of world building. Also little things like the magic ammo tablet being called "Ammo-chan" is just :allears:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a nice fantasy about finding a fulfilling job where you are valued and treated with respect. the magical girl stuff just adds some pizzazz.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

More or less, more intrested in the business of Magical Girls rather than putting a permanent stop to the monsters.

Yeah, as far as I can tell the Kaii aren't coordinating in any way. They're just critters, going about their own business, which is often bothersome for humans.

Which basically means magical girls are exterminators. Which is a mental image I love.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Ghostbusters but with Magical Girls is a fun idea.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
More chapters up

Pretty intresting stuff, all in.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Yeah I really want to know more about the President. I wonder if he has a reason to dress "normally" for special occasions.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
President is a man without double-standards. He requires a uniform of his employees, so he wears one himself.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Darth TNT posted:

Yeah I really want to know more about the President. I wonder if he has a reason to dress "normally" for special occasions.

I think it's more that he's socially aware enough to know it's probably better to wear normal stuff outside the office.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Kyte posted:

I think it's more that he's socially aware enough to know it's probably better to wear normal stuff outside the office.

To the prez's credit, he does seem to have some sense of self-awareness on when and where to express his interest, which goes a lot in making him likable. He's a way better take on those characters whose sole personality trait is their obsession/interest with a specific media and have no off switch at all.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I lolled at the whole admiring each other’s transformation sequence.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I enjoy seeing the different approaches the various companies have to Magical Girls, especially regarding costume style, but also transformation sequences.

Like, on one side your basically have "It's morphing time!" and on the other a full-on incantation.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I don't know why, but I expected them to try and steal the new magic Magilumiere made. The way the lady was talking about it.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Darth TNT posted:

I don't know why, but I expected them to try and steal the new magic Magilumiere made. The way the lady was talking about it.

That's giving the chief too little credit wrt his contacts.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, If anyone's gonna be stealing company secrets, it's Not-Homura there.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
More chapters.

This is some really intresting stuff!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Kyte posted:

That's giving the chief too little credit wrt his contacts.

Apparently yeah.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Yeah, If anyone's gonna be stealing company secrets, it's Not-Homura there.

And apparently not. Not-Homura is plenty happy being a robot.

It's fun to see 5 completely different magical girls and approaches here.
And I look forward to how the intercompany relationships will shake out in the face of evolving Kaii

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I unironically super love the casual mention of "magical girl-hours." This manga owns.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
You know what also owns?

Magical Girl Business Expos.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 29, 2022

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Men have too much magic to transform? Weird justification

I can’t see how inducing a mutation in front of a live crowd could go wrong!” -a very smart businessman

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's an unsolved technical problem. as explanations go, it could be worse.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

thetoughestbean posted:

I can’t see how inducing a mutation in front of a live crowd could go wrong!” -a very smart businessman

I thought the reading was they have the same amount of magic but not the means to control it.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

There are 2 ways to take this, but it still ultimately comes down to the fact that regardless if whether men have objectively more, women are just that much better at controlling it. :shrug:

Very cool 2 chapters.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
New chapters and the day may be lost by the most human of obstacles: Slow Laptops!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I loved these past 2 chapters. The series is called Magiluniere and while a lot of focus has been on Kana, this backstory for the programmer is very cool.
I like how the boss is creating his team.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Darth TNT posted:

I loved these past 2 chapters. The series is called Magiluniere and while a lot of focus has been on Kana, this backstory for the programmer is very cool.
I like how the boss is creating his team.

Man it is total bullshit that the programmer seemed to give basically a professional-level of detail on his project (if a bit unfocused in some areas) and go unrecognized.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Welcome to the rat race.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
New Chapters and I'm intrigued about this 15 years ago business.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 13, 2022

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
So when will they get MAGID-19.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

ConanThe3rd posted:

New Chapters and I'm intreeged about this 15 years ago business.

Yeah, seems like that'll be a main thread going forward

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So it's evolution for the Kais, soaking up magic power and mutating into more resilient forms. And that scene with AST CEO, man that guy needs to work on his people skills. I did like how President-chan is on top of things, running a start up so he can prototype new magics as they're needed instead of having to deal with corporate bureaucracy. Not to mention the dress code probably wouldn't accommodate his personal style.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Hmm, my guess? Ast CEO and President Chan both know about the mutations and both have a good idea on what's causing it, but Ast is just trying to ride it out and get rich whereas President Chan is trying to fix it. But as long as Ast isn't playing ball he doesn't have the resources to finish the job....yet

I wonder if President Chan is ever going to "suit up" and join the girls in the field.

I do kinda love how they handle President Chan's fashion sense.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

ConanThe3rd posted:

New Chapters and I'm intrigued about this 15 years ago business.

They also alluded to the three months of darkness or whatever the called it at the beginning of this conference, which I assume is when these monsters started appearing. Maybe the two things are connected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
New chapter, new characters.

Broom girl seems nice. It seems that chief-chan has some really solid connections going.
Kana is getting a command center broom or something isn't she?