Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Captain Invictus posted:

it's been a while! if you're up to date, here's a new chapter!

oh boy, tsuchiba smiled! time to recruit the robotic girl from the megacorp using our grit and gumption!

That or Tsuchiba dies in a confrontation with Magilumiere, due to megacorp/equipment malfunction.

It's not really that kind of a series, but that's where my first thought went

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

That interaction definitely screamed DEATH FLAG at me.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Alternatively, Tsuchiba is seriously injured or loses her ability to use magic, and is forced to retire from being a magical girl.

Either way, feels like something bad's gonna happen to her

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
We're definitely getting, if not DEATH FLAGS then TRAGEDY FLAGS. Like she's gonna end up in a coma or something else horrible that will make the lunch date impossible.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I feel if it's going that way then it's gonna get spun in the De-regulation camp's favour.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, yeah. they have a plan to handle the terrorist attack disguised as a natural disaster. but they obviously aren't going to manage to prevent it entirely, so it still works out for the perpetrators.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Seriously curious what’s going to happen now. AST has death flags all over her, but so far the series has been pretty lighthearted. Cynical, but lighthearted.

Loved AST’s new henshin.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
she is 100% either getting crippled forever, killed, or exceeding the limits of the Wings and mutating into some cosmic horror, revealing the true nature of magic or some poo poo

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's okay, it's just the Kaio-ken. Tsuchiya'll push it more than she should, end up with all her bones broken but will be saved by the newfound friendship she has with our protagonists.

That or she'll die and serve as an example of how bad of an idea this experiment was. 50/50 I say.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I mean, based on the path the evolving mutations of the monsters have gone with eyes, mouths, and now arms and hands, we're absolutely getting some sort of humanoid form soon enough as an adversary. sailor moon type villains? probably not, but they're definitely gonna be some body horror monstrosities based on these creepy sea-arms or the tower of eye-mouths in the test chamber

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I was thinking maybe a Nier Automata Adam and Eve type thing.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

she is 100% either getting crippled forever, killed, or exceeding the limits of the Wings and mutating into some cosmic horror, revealing the true nature of magic or some poo poo

Yeah, this feels like a huge moment for the series, and anyone who's been shown an extended transformation sequence at this point is on my short list for something bad happening to them

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, this feels like a huge moment for the series, and anyone who's been shown an extended transformation sequence at this point is on my short list for something bad happening to them

Same it’s really building to something.

Captain Invictus posted:

I mean, based on the path the evolving mutations of the monsters have gone with eyes, mouths, and now arms and hands, we're absolutely getting some sort of humanoid form soon enough as an adversary. sailor moon type villains? probably not, but they're definitely gonna be some body horror monstrosities based on these creepy sea-arms or the tower of eye-mouths in the test chamber

AST becoming a Kai would fit….:ohdear: they’ve been pointing out the mouths and eyes thing. She has a big magic gun while magic actually causes Kai to evolve…

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I agree with the rest of you that right now, this is probably going to be the turn of the series. poo poo's gonna change after this. Maybe the government regulation plot will be pushed entirely to the side, even.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
My prediction for what happens: Tsuchiba pushes the Wings past its limit (for whatever reason, but I'll say because less than 100% is ineffective against the new Kaii and she's confident that she can handle it), triggering a cataclysmic response in the device. Koshigaya responds before Kana can react and tries to save Tsuchiba, but ends getting caught up in whatever happens to the Wings being pushed past their limits. I like Captain Invictus's idea about a humanoid Kaii, so I'll say that the fallout results in one of the two becoming a mutated super Kaii (my bets are on Koshigaya) and the other getting taken out of action completely (Tsuchiba). I don't know how dark the turn in the series is going to take, so while Tsuchiba/Koshigaya dying isn't off the table, I'm still leaning towards my initial prediction that Tsuchiba is stripped of her ability to use magic and has to deal with not being able to be a magical girl anymore.

tl,dr: Tsuchiba and Koshigaya are probably both screwed in some way, leaving Kana and the rest of Magilumiere on their own to deal with whatever super Kaii is left after this disaster

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Clearly we were all wrong and this will end perfectly for everyone. AST is kicking rear end, Lumière is helping. We’re one big happy family. :ohdear:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it's go time

I see now, Tsuchiba is Deadpan Kittan, pushing herself suicidally past her limits. Feels like we're about to hit a real grim shift in the series.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
And they’re really drawing this out. I expected poo poo to hit the fan this chapter. :ohdear: so when Koshugaya crashed I was worried.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm sure everything will be fiiiiiine, she's only doing the exact thing she was told not to do, while having no obligation to do so, when she was ordered to not do it and rely on the protagonists.

That has never gone wrong in the history of manga.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And certainly not in media involving Magical Girls.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah they couldn't be telegraphing this any harder but maybe there will be a last second swerve and everything will work out fine. it won't

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
New Chapter

Kana simultaneously being genre aware and ground in reality. "Shooting a 250% blast is goddamn stupid you moron you will explode and die"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm sure everything will be fiiiiiine, she's only doing the exact thing she was told not to do, while having no obligation to do so, when she was ordered to not do it and rely on the protagonists.

That has never gone wrong in the history of manga.

I'm kind of waiting on some explanation for this beyond "her family was poor," because she's doing something her company isn't even ordering her to do here.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
They need to stop beating around the bush, I need to know who’s getting maimed! :ohdear:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/vizmedia/status/1667209697970012172?s=46&t=X6-Ut4Z5gjBZ_q10eeG_mg

Magilumiere is getting a physical release

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And well deserved, says I.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Absolutely deserved.

So how about those last chapters? The longer they take for the inevitable the disaster, the more I’m starting the think there’s not going to be a disaster at all.
It’s weird that AST is bugging out, but it seems to be more related to her state of mind than some kind of mechanical malfunction.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I liked the part where it's the protagonist who uses the "What, you think this is a fantasy? Get real, you idiot!" line. A lot of stories has the villain use it to sound edgy, but it's refreshing to see it used to tell someone to stand down and not get killed by being so focused on their work.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Darth TNT posted:

Absolutely deserved.

So how about those last chapters? The longer they take for the inevitable the disaster, the more I’m starting the think there’s not going to be a disaster at all.
It’s weird that AST is bugging out, but it seems to be more related to her state of mind than some kind of mechanical malfunction.

Yeah that's why they say it's psychosomatic.
She's having a bit of an existential crisis at the moment.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
she joined a cult and then the cult leader suddenly contradicted everything he has ever said.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
74 https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1016539

The power of friendship saving a magical girl never fails!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm glad we've avoided tragedy.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
We're not out of the woods yet. I'm still betting this is going to be "Success at great cost".

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 14, 2023

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Well isn’t that a wholesome if foreboding ending.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Darth TNT posted:

Well isn’t that a wholesome if foreboding ending.
yeah, there was one small corner panel amidst the defeat and victory that almost slipped by me but definitely was way more ominous than it might seem

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Me reading this chapter: :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi: :gonk:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Darth TNT posted:

Me reading this chapter: :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi: :gonk:

My reaction exactly, yeah, a super cute chapter with some evil business stuff and then it hits you in the gut on the last page, oof.

I hope she was just late because she actually did go back to pick her clothes and missed the date out of sheer overthinking, but I don't think we're avoiding tragedy here. Even if Kana's fine, this will break the bond she finally managed to build with Tsuchiya...

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I cannot overstate how much I enjoy most of the interactions between the core cast. Kageyoshi and Kana are great as are shigemoto and guy who knows everything. I hope the other two girls will get some more chance to shine later because at present they feel more like set dressing.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
How DARE you do such crimes, manga. How DARE YOU

Pizza with a FORK?!?! UNACCEPTABLE

Manga dropped!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Oh no, their date! :(

HOW DARE YOU END IT THERE