Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Very cool. An anime could make the magic use better at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
... Nikoyama what the gently caress

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
This is gonna end terribly/hilariously

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Supremezero posted:

... Nikoyama what the gently caress

I didn’t recognize him at all. :D
Koshigaya remains awesome though, immediately offering him candy.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Xelkelvos posted:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Their cover's gonna get blown when someone recognizes the gal from the ramen shop.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm kind of shocked nobody posted the new chapter yet, because HERE WE loving GO

right on the money:

Captain Invictus posted:

I mean, based on the path the evolving mutations of the monsters have gone with eyes, mouths, and now arms and hands, we're absolutely getting some sort of humanoid form soon enough as an adversary. sailor moon type villains? probably not, but they're definitely gonna be some body horror monstrosities based on these creepy sea-arms or the tower of eye-mouths in the test chamber

Xelkelvos posted:

I vote for horrifyingly

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

There's no way those bars aren't going to end up shattered by the new Kaii and our girls will have to fight while all the rich people see them as pointless in the new world of deregulation, is there?

Also considering the whole "they were experimenting on magical girls in the past" thing, I have to wonder if our new Kaii isn't a modified human being, a poor woman turned into a monster just as a proof-of-concept.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
...I forget, have we seen Mei since the timeskip? and this abomi-kai has black hair...

also let it literally Eat The Rich. do it :unsmigghh:

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

...I forget, have we seen Mei since the timeskip? and this abomi-kai has black hair...

Oh no, that's a real possibility :smith:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I genuinely hope not. This second act has been trying my patience as is and that being the twist be a step far too far.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 25, 2023

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm kind of shocked nobody posted the new chapter yet, because HERE WE loving GO

right on the money:

I vote for horrifyingly

I wanted to but I couldn’t find the thread.

Honestly I’m worried. So far most of the time we think poo poo is hitting the fan things die down. This monster seems pretty out of place.
Still I can’t wait.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

New chapter.

Ruh-roh.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, they're walking into the evil research facility which created a humanoid magic power conduit and used to experiment on magical girls. it's not a great situation!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I feel like this series is writing a lot of checks I'm not sure it can cash. I'm still reading it, but, like, while holding it at arms length for if it fails to follow through adequately

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They're just one short step from weaponizing Kai to use against their enemies and I don't think the shadowy cabal of rich business men realize this.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

getting pretty big umbrella corp vibes here

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

I feel like this series is writing a lot of checks I'm not sure it can cash. I'm still reading it, but, like, while holding it at arms length for if it fails to follow through adequately

I’m reading it, I’m really liking it. But I agree with the checks. So far most holy poo poo moments were diffused. So really curious what’s going to happen here.
At this point this manga is becoming the “sure we destroyed the earth but for one glorious moment we created a lot of value for the shareholders” meme.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Lockheed Martin must be on some serious poo poo in this setting.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

I’m reading it, I’m really liking it. But I agree with the checks. So far most holy poo poo moments were diffused. So really curious what’s going to happen here.
At this point this manga is becoming the “sure we destroyed the earth but for one glorious moment we created a lot of value for the shareholders” meme.

Yeah, I also agree. The manga's kinda sabotaged itself with how it's diffused those moments, and even though on paper the stakes are higher than ever, it doesn't really feel that way yet. Maybe this is where that changes, but we really thought that with the last crisis, so.

Plus, the whole situation with Midorikawa feels forced and I'm not going to be satisfied with that outcome one way or the other; I don't really buy that he was a secret rear end in a top hat all along, and if he's just faking, that feels like a cop out as well

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the problem with the current direction is that their opponent is actually capitalism. they are not going to defeat capitalism.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah, trying to reverse course on the deregulation is probably doomed to failure, barring some massive disaster to sway public opinion.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They should just use their magic on the huddled mass of billionaires in front of them and solve the problem for the moment

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the problem with the current direction is that their opponent is actually capitalism. they are not going to defeat capitalism.

It would be pretty funny if the manga ends with everyone switching to communism.

I could actually believe Midorikawa switched, but we’re seeing him a little too much to my liking. It currently feels like the writer going: “no really, he totally switched. Here he is hanging out with the rich people. And here he is in a badly lit room. And here he is next to a fishbowl with his old boss and here he is kicking a puppy. See, completely evil.”

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1019275

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

lol that reaction pushed me further into the "he's faking it" camp. But it looks like we're going to find out one way or the other next week

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
New chapter: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1019204

Anime Announced!
https://x.com/MagilumiereLtd/status/1729516496684978247?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETGrCDv1xn8

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hell yeah finally an anime. Time for all my headcanon voices to be wrong.

Also this chapter, yeah Midorikawa was on Shigemoto's side all along. I honestly wondered which side that coin would drop, and it seems that Shigemoto did not intend him to actually go as far as he did. He's gained control over Kaii now, apparently? That's kind of cool, but Shigemoto's reaction means there's something really bad about it.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
For a while now, Midorikawa has given me the vibe of a guy wearing a wire.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
This chapter was fully midorikawa leading them on.

Alacron posted:

For a while now, Midorikawa has given me the vibe of a guy wearing a wire.

Very same.

Also lol at Koshigaya killing and attacking everything always.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Chapter 94 In which we get the origin story for Pres-chans dressing style

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I don’t know what I was expecting, but it wasn’t that.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That took an unexpected turn, yes.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
This backstory is great and it seems like we’re done now. Which is also great since it didn’t overstay its welcome.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yeah, I'm fine with this, it was short and gave us a much-needed expansion on Midorikawa's past and goals, while also clarifying Shigemoto's whole deal and being pretty emotional to boot.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Shigemoto is the purest character in this magical girl series

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1019682

That Shigemoto transformation scene. perfection

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm hootin' and hollerin' and pumping my fists

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I feel like I should be playing a song during the transformation, but I can’t think of any good ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Alacron posted:

I feel like I should be playing a song during the transformation, but I can’t think of any good ones.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EV6E13xODyA&pp=ygUcYmF5b25ldHRhIGZseSBtZSB0byB0aGUgbW9vbg%3D%3D