Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Freaquency posted:

Nobody should use an SNL musical performance as a measure of if a band is good or not

Oh of course not, I’ve heard them a bunch before. Sometimes a live performance can swing my opinion though, alas definitely not the case last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Almost without fail I'll be disappointed in a band I like when they perform on the show because of the acoustics but I've found some new ones that have overcome it. That recent Bleachers performance was fantastic. They had such a fun positive energy that it overcame the studio's sound stage.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Great episode all around. And maybe the best musical theater bit since the Les Miz lobster one.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

He’s loving Olivia Munn

What? Pete Davidson is loving Kim K. Hence the Kanye comment. You’re thinking of Mulaney.

Granted, I have no idea why being afraid of Kanye would keep Pete away, since he wasn’t there either.

edit: nvm, I just got it. Been a long day, sorry

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 27, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Jolo posted:

Almost without fail I'll be disappointed in a band I like when they perform on the show because of the acoustics but I've found some new ones that have overcome it. That recent Bleachers performance was fantastic. They had such a fun positive energy that it overcame the studio's sound stage.

I think having a multichannel setup for my tv audio has always helped when it comes to the notorious sound mixing they have. It’s still not perfect, but rarely does it bother me. Same with The Weeknd’s super bowl show that everyone complained about, I didn’t really have too much of an issue hearing the vocals.

Yeah Bleachers set was definitely a highlight especially given they had next to no notice. Weren’t on my radar until then, but pretty fun.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think having a multichannel setup for my tv audio has always helped when it comes to the notorious sound mixing they have.

It's really not a mixing problem, it's that the acoustics in the studio suck for live music. The sound gets absorbed completely by the walls and ceiling, and it just winds up being incredibly unpleasant to listen to. Studio 8H was originally built for radio broadcasts, and it really has not kept pace with the advancements in A/V technology over the past few decades.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
The sole cut for time sketch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sLIaq8upV8

And one of the two cut after Dress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i03c2Ns75Yw

Was hoping they might upload Alex and Melissa's Update cuts, but no dice

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

ArtVandelay posted:

He's going to hate himself for years over that blown line. I can't wait to hear him talk about it on the podcast.

Yeah, you can tell that bothered him.

And the director, camerman, and/or technical director too. Rarely see botched coverage or cuts in SNL!

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

It’s wild how much better the Mulaney Eps are than the normal menu. Also, no Pete was a pleasant surprise. I really don’t want to see his inevitable smirking Kanye set.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

a new study bible! posted:

It’s wild how much better the Mulaney Eps are than the normal menu.

Yeah, my pet theory has been that the writers all try a little harder because he's "one of them", but it's also probably that the whole writer's room just gels a bit better with another writer in there than a random celebrity throwing loving terrible ideas out there, or vetoing actual good ideas.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I imagine his years in the writer's room as a member and leader also allow him to draw the talent out of people. Coming up through the trenches and now seeing both the back- and front-end, he is uniquely positioned to get the most out of writers and cast members while understanding how the two work together.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Being a former writer, he's likely coming into the week already with some skit ideas and possibly already written out. So they end up with less work and not craming the whole week coming up with the skits. Also they can spend 8 minutes of the episode on a food musical number.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Mulaney was fine, but I don't think the writing was all that much better - aside from the obligatory Food Musical sketch, there were two sketches that were basically carbon copies of previous sketches, plus the standard Five-Timers sketch, plus no cold open.

Also, none of the subsequent Food Musical sketches have been nearly as good as the original Diner Lobster. I will die on this hill.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think the writing this year in general has been markedly better than than the last few.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

DaveWoo posted:

Mulaney was fine, but I don't think the writing was all that much better - aside from the obligatory Food Musical sketch, there were two sketches that were basically carbon copies of previous sketches, plus the standard Five-Timers sketch, plus no cold open.

Also, none of the subsequent Food Musical sketches have been nearly as good as the original Diner Lobster. I will die on this hill.

Well you can't top the Diner Lobster, but you can at least make something close to it.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

DaveWoo posted:

I’m with you. I think the musical conceit is tired and they shouldn’t feel obligated to keep up the recurring bit, but people expect it now.

Johnson family reunion was a very funny bit. Standups are just better than improv people.

a new study bible! fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 28, 2022

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I feel like my last post was a bit too negative, so I'll say this - Monkey Judge was a solid sketch, and the PDD video was their funniest one to date.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I think the thing that Diner Lobster did right and, as far as I know, the others didn't is that Diner Lobster vaguely took the story and music of one musical and made it about something absurd, while the other ones were just a collection of parody songs from miscellaneous musicals without any real story cohesion.

Not that Diner Lobster had a particularly cohesive story to it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

carticket posted:

I think the thing that Diner Lobster did right and, as far as I know, the others didn't is that Diner Lobster vaguely took the story and music of one musical and made it about something absurd, while the other ones were just a collection of parody songs from miscellaneous musicals without any real story cohesion.

Not that Diner Lobster had a particularly cohesive story to it.

I know that Diner Lobster used Les Miz, and this most recent one was a medley. Were the other ones medleys, or were they based on one musical? I honestly can’t remember.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

thrawn527 posted:

I know that Diner Lobster used Les Miz, and this most recent one was a medley. Were the other ones medleys, or were they based on one musical? I honestly can’t remember.

New York Musical, Airport Sushi and Bodega Bathroom were medleys.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, my pet theory has been that the writers all try a little harder because he's "one of them", but it's also probably that the whole writer's room just gels a bit better with another writer in there than a random celebrity throwing loving terrible ideas out there, or vetoing actual good ideas.

they also sometimes wait to pitch stuff to people they know will get it and do a good job with it. norm talks about the tic tac toe sketch they did on the bill pullman episode that pullman tries his best to ruin by playing it as an over-the-top greaseball game show host. it's still a great sketch thanks to the premise and norm's performance, but as he says here:
https://twitter.com/normmacdonald/status/953793414465708032
norm's commentary at 8:13 here

(the actual host the next week was dana carvey, but he's still right, it would have been an all-timer with either of them and now it's merely excellent.)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

R. Guyovich posted:

they also sometimes wait to pitch stuff to people they know will get it and do a good job with it. norm talks about the tic tac toe sketch they did on the bill pullman episode that pullman tries his best to ruin by playing it as an over-the-top greaseball game show host. it's still a great sketch thanks to the premise and norm's performance, but as he says here:
https://twitter.com/normmacdonald/status/953793414465708032
norm's commentary at 8:13 here

(the actual host the next week was dana carvey, but he's still right, it would have been an all-timer with either of them and now it's merely excellent.)

Holy poo poo, I've never seen this sketch before. It's amazing, but you're right. What the gently caress is Bill Pullman doing?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

the one good moment pullman has in there is when he's waiting for norm to hammer in the x and kind of resignedly picks up a newspaper. it gets a big laugh because it hints at the deeper world of the sketch, that this has been going on for months and the host has stuff set aside for the inevitable breaks. if he'd played it with those undertones the whole time it would have been perfect

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
The joy of Diner Lobster was sticking with one gimmick so the jokes all cascaded into each other. “Clawsette” isn’t as funny a payoff without the set up of the rest of the bit.

That’s why the medleys never work as well: it feels like a Frankenstein sketch. They need to bring the focus into one musical and make Phantom about Pizza Rat or whatever, rather than making a hodgepodge from 6 different musicals. Pulling from multiple sources just doesn’t work as well.

Also, anyone else :lol: at Mulaney making the same B&H joke as pwn? Which writer is a lurker, PM me for more great advice!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The joy of Diner Lobster was sticking with one gimmick so the jokes all cascaded into each other. “Clawsette” isn’t as funny a payoff without the set up of the rest of the bit.

That’s why the medleys never work as well: it feels like a Frankenstein sketch. They need to bring the focus into one musical and make Phantom about Pizza Rat or whatever, rather than making a hodgepodge from 6 different musicals. Pulling from multiple sources just doesn’t work as well.

I feel like the medley sketches work for a totally different reason. You're waiting to see what song is coming next. Which maybe was necessary after the first one? I'm not a huge musical fan, but I was raised in a musical theater house, and I have a lot of friends who went into that life, so I KNOW musicals. So when a new song starts, I get a bit excited when I recognize it. And one of the few musicals I genuinely enjoy myself is Jesus Christ Superstar, so when this week's sketch pulled that one out, I freaked.

So while I agree that Diner Lobster is the best version of the concept, I get why the other versions work, too.

And yeah, I went back and watched them all again since I asked earlier what they were. Solid gold.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 2, 2022

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I suppose I think it would have been better if they made all of the songs parodies of Superstar, ending with subway Jesus as the big reveal. I think I also would have appreciated the obvious effort of fitting the two together.

Maybe they just think musicals other than Les Mes aren’t well known enough to pull multiple songs? Or maybe I’m the odd man out and everyone else likes the jukebox style more, like you mentioned!

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I suppose I think it would have been better if they made all of the songs parodies of Superstar, ending with subway Jesus as the big reveal. I think I also would have appreciated the obvious effort of fitting the two together.

Maybe they just think musicals other than Les Mes aren’t well known enough to pull multiple songs? Or maybe I’m the odd man out and everyone else likes the jukebox style more, like you mentioned!

Nah, I'm with you. The Lobster one was the best for that very reason and they are probably different now because writers... they probably just forgot what the gently caress they even did the first time.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Skeet Davidson lol :dong:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
For some reason that made me realize why Davidson wasn't a part of Mulaney's show. You have to cut those kinds of influences out your life during rehab.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

For some reason that made me realize why Davidson wasn't a part of Mulaney's show. You have to cut those kinds of influences out your life during rehab.

Oh...that sucks but is understandable... :smith:

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f619noX6Yhw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKiWjdZ5ps4

Oscar Isaac makes his hosting debut tonight, though you may remember his guest appearance earlier this season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHvLhviwK30

Charli XCX returns for her second time officially, after being cut from the Paul Rudd show back in December. She is likely to perform the following tracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw_Gtwdnp1Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggrYaDxyrGM

Back in December the songs she rehearsed on Thursday were "Good Ones" and "New Shapes," hopefully maybe one day they release those rehearsal tapes.

Tonight's Vintage is Kevin Hart with Macklemore and Ryan Lewis from March 2 2013. This episode is most notable for the Tim Robinson runner "Z-Shirt."

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Unrelated to tonight's episode, but does anyone know who wrote Jimmy Tango's Fat Busters? Maybe Adam McKay?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Pete was not there because he was filming a movie

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Decent opening sketch, but their take on Trump still feels too tepid. And JAJ's voice has this growl that's kind of distracting.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Phil Hartmon on: Sweet Mowir Vowiengtiome. My Lobe of mine!

Zeluth fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 6, 2022

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Who was that playing Trump in the cold open? Austin something? He's pretty good at it, at times his voice is spot-on.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Raw intercourse.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
As someone who has watched many Paw Patrols and wonders why the neoliberal mayor of Adventure Bay outsources all of the citys services to a private organization with no oversight....that sketch really spoke to me.

I liked the last 2 sketches but this meatball one seems kinda dumb

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
This is bizarrely hilarious.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hamster hamster meatball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

Charlie XCX is the armpit meatball in our hearts.