Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

I'm not going to play Ratchet and Clank! No, HE IS!

From 2002, Ratchet and Clank is one of the PS2's seminal franchises, extending even into the PS5 era and beyond. As a 3D Action Platformer, the game takes our plucky protagonists from world to world in search of their enemy, Chairman Drek and his forces. It is fun, fast, (mostly) well written, with great action set pieces, great guns, and pretty tight movement. All in all, Insomniac hit it out of the park with this game, and I'm going to show it all to you. Or HE will, being the Blargian Snagglebeast that is being kept in reserve for such situations.

What sort of LP will this be?

Much like KalonZombie's own LP from almost ten years ago, I will be doing a commentated LP. Commentary will be recorded via the Discord that I use for such things, and I would love to have people come along and chat with me over the game, telling about what they like and hate about it.

I intend to get all the Gold Bolts and all the Skill Points before going into New Game+, then getting all the Gold Weapons to show them off. So, let's say it's a 100% Completion LP, come hell, high water, and at least one dead computer.

What?

Yeah, so the LP curse struck while I was doing pre-recording of the game, and I needed to get a new computer. Such things happen. The old one was over 10 years old regardless, so it had a good long life. The important part you all need to know is that I was in the middle of the collectathon videos when it happened, meaning that I have to replay the game to near the end to do everything for you. And I'm having fun doing it because it's Ratchet and Clank. How can you not have fun with this game?

Spoilers?

This game is 20 years old. Captain Qwark is working for Chairman Drek, Clank actively lies to Ratchet to get him moving and is still by leagues the most honest and heroic character in the series, and why yes, I will be using the Hologuise Glitch to buy the RYNO. And use it on Drek. Open Spoiler season people! Talk about what you want, and if I see any spoiler bars, I will be very disappointed!

But now, onto the game!

Video 0 - Veldin
COMMENTARY (11:58) | NO COMMENTARY

Video 1 - Novalis

COMMENTARY
(16:03) | NO COMMENTARY

Video 2 - Aridia

COMMENTARY
(11:10) | NO COMMENTARY

Video 3 - Kerwan

COMMENTARY
(18:48) | NO COMMENTARY

Video 4 - Eudora

COMMENTARY
(19:43) | NO COMMENTARY

Video 5 - Blarg Station

COMMENTARY
(22:03) | NO COMMENTARY

Video 6 - Rilgar

COMMENTARY
(32:30) | NO COMMENTARY

Video 7 - Umbris

COMMENTARY
(24:52) | NO COMMENTARY

Video 8 - Batalia

COMMENTARY
(16:05) | NO COMMENTARY

Video 9 - Orxon

COMMENTARY

Video 10 - Gaspar

COMMENTARY
(13:45) | NO COMMENTARY

Video 11 - Pokitaru, Orxon (2)

COMMENTARY
(29:33) | NO COMMENTARY

Video 12 - Hoven

COMMENTARY
(25:06) | NO COMMENTARY

Video 13 - Gemlik Base

COMMENTARY
(24:03) | NO COMMENTARY

Video 14 - Oltanis

COMMENTARY
(24:57) | NO COMMENTARY

Video 15 - Quartu (1)

COMMENTARY
(11:21) | NO COMMENTARY

Video 16 - Kalebo III

COMMENTARY
(22:17) | NO COMMENTARY

Video 17 - Collectathon 1

COMMENTARY
(44:11) | NO COMMENTARY

Video 18 - Collectathon 2

COMMENTARY
(27:00) | NO COMMENTARY

Video 19 - Collectathon 3

COMMENTARY
(33:52) | NO COMMENTARY

Video 20 - Collectathon 4

COMMENTARY
(21:50) | NO COMMENTARY

Video 21 - Collectathon 5

COMMENTARY
(19:49) | NO COMMENTARY

Video 22 - Quartu (2)

COMMENTARY
(14:01) | NO COMMENTARY

Video 23 - Drek's Fleet

COMMENTARY
(27:26) | NO COMMENTARY

Video 24 - Veldin

COMMENTARY
(41:39) | NO COMMENTARY

Video 24 - New Game Plus and Extras

NO COMMENTARY
(27:23)

berryjon fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Which makes it nice that each of the weapons in this game and later ones are more than just niche, they have practical uses in general fights as well. Sure, the Visibomb Gun is really only needed for a couple Skill Points and Gold Bolts, but it's a nice emergency backup for the Devastator. There's rarely total overlap between weapons, and how you play the game is up to you, be it Wrench-Only, or spamming the RINO till the end of days.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I'll see what we can do, but we've already recorded a few videos worth of material. And to be fair, most of our commentary has been focused on the initial trilogy.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I'm going to have to go back and grab screenshots for the approaches to all the planets for announcing new Videos, but for now, there's this!

Level 2 - Aridia

COMMENTARY
(11:10) | NO COMMENTARY

berryjon fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 7, 2022

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Unlike Ratchet, who has grown older over the past twenty years - and it shows -, Clank has had, what, two real changes to his character model in that same time frame? One was for his alternate getup in Secret Agent Clank. I mean, why mess with perfection? Clank's model is elegant, simple, expressive and easy to animate.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Nidoking posted:

As I'm catching up with the videos, finally, it's worth mentioning that you don't have to wait until New Game + to get the Gold weapons. The game gives you easy access to the shop in Challenge mode, but there's a room at the Blarg base that has five of them for sale as soon as you get to the end of the level.

It's also kind of weird returning to this game after playing absolutely any other Ratchet game, since you almost always start with some kind of pistol, while this one doesn't make that available until... Metropolis, I want to say? It's been a very long time since I've played it through.

You can only get 5 Gold Weapons, the basic five, at the Moon Base. The rest are all NG+.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

DOUBLE FEATURE!

Level 3 - Kerwan

COMMENTARY
(18:48) | NO COMMENTARY

Level 4 - Eudora

COMMENTARY
(19:43) | NO COMMENTARY

berryjon
May 30, 2011

screams in lost game audio

On a completely unrelated note, I should have the rest of the game recorded tonight, with my certified commentation crew catching cruel conundrums concerning careful ... dammit, can't finish that off. Yeah, I'll get Drek and all the Gold Weapons finished tonight, then take a breather before starting to record Going Commando.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Level 5 - Blarg Station

COMMENTARY
(22:03) | NO COMMENTARY

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

Fortunately you don't need the grind boots until all the way out in Pokitaru, so you can come back later with much better gear if you need to, but I didn't know that back then!
Batalia actually, the 'under siege' level. You need the Grind Boots to get the next infobot. There's no grinding on Pokitaru, as that's where you need the Fighter's Helmet from Gaspar to finish the objective on Pokitaru to get the O2 helmet you need to get the Infobot on Orxon.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

Batalia is when there's a grind rail, but you don't need that infobot just yet - the other route gets you the Orxon infobot, which gets you the Pokitaru one. Only once you're at Pokitaru is your progress stopped by the fact you didn't get the pilot's helmet, which you needed to do the grind rail to get the infobot to reach. So you can get as far as Pokitaru without having picked up the grind boots.

Ah, I misread what you wrote. Yes, the Pokiskip*, still missing a way to get to the second waypoint. I thought you said you needed the Grindboots on Pokitaru, not to get past Poki/Gasp.

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqS-ohYDedk - This is a video describing what we're talking about, and the efforts people have gone through to try and get around it.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

What's this? Another Double Feature?!? Yay!

Video 6 - Rilgar

COMMENTARY
(32:30) | NO COMMENTARY

Video 7 - Umbris

COMMENTARY
(24:52) | NO COMMENTARY

berryjon fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 29, 2022

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

I assume you're saving up for the Devastator?

You know it! And the Nanotech upgrades. 30K for the second one. Ouch!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

stryth posted:

Also, the green slime things are called Amoeboids, not Blarg, that's Drek's people. the news lady mentioned it in Rilgars intro video.
And yet they say "BLARG!" so they count. Sorta. ;)

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Video 8 - Batalia

COMMENTARY
(16:05) | NO COMMENTARY

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I think I'm going to be moving to a Sun/Wed release schedule as I have a nice backlog right now.

Video 9 - Orxon

COMMENTARY

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

I'm not sure they ever really nail that balance. I think after R&C3 they just stopped trying to do Clank sections.

The only fun Clank sections are the Giant Clank sections, although they kept trying to do Clank-Only areas up to a Crack in Time, really, where half the game was Clank puzzle solving his way through the Great Clock.

Update should be up in half an hour because I forgot to upload the video last night.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Video 10 - Gaspar

COMMENTARY
(13:45) | NO COMMENTARY

Mycroft Holmes posted:

crack in time was the only good clank-only bits

Well, there was Secret Agent Clank... which was middling. But I still stand by Giant Clank.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

stryth posted:

Giant clank was fun, but it could get a bit frustrating with, how slow he moved, the multiple sources of chip damage, how hard it was to keep him healed, etc. I guess I'm one of the weird people who LIKED Clanks puzzle sections.

Why haven't you bought the Glove of doom yet? Tt's basically made for taking out enemies from around corners. They make that tunnel a breeze. Or are you saving for something else?

Saving for the Visibomb Gun and the Health upgrades. Once I get the Hololguise, all my money woes vanish, so I buy everything.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

The Visibomb does put a lot of extra level design pressure on, though. There's a lot of stuff that thing can break.

Oltanis Orbit, for example, where right use of the Visibomb can unlock one of the Gold Bolts very early. I eventually use it to get the Lights Out Skill Point for Oltanis as well.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

My first two-world video!

Video 11 - Pokitaru, Orxon (2)

COMMENTARY
(29:33) | NO COMMENTARY

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

The reason that infobot chase section is so notorious for speedrunners is because the last several planets are all geared around getting Ratchet onto Orxon - if you can get that infobot as Clank then you can completely skip going to Pokitaru and possibly also Gaspar. If I recall correctly the community managed to get to six of the seven checkpoints, but also found a completely different way to skip the whole section so it's a bit of a moot point now, aside from the glory of solving it.
I linked a video about that a couple weeks back actually. The Pokiskip where taking a fifteen minute side trip was seen as potentially faster than actually doing Gaspar/Pokitaru.

berryjon posted:

Ah, I misread what you wrote. Yes, the Pokiskip*, still missing a way to get to the second waypoint. I thought you said you needed the Grindboots on Pokitaru, not to get past Poki/Gasp.

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqS-ohYDedk - This is a video describing what we're talking about, and the efforts people have gone through to try and get around it.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Video 12 - Hoven

COMMENTARY
(25:06) | NO COMMENTARY

Ice Physics!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

This isn't the only planet with ice physics, there's an ice section on Oltanis too.

*facepalm* Right, forgot about that. It's amazing how many mechanics only get a one or two-of in the game. Giant Clank? 2 uses. Ice Physics? 2 uses. Turret section? ... 3, I think. Flying? 3. Hoverboards. 2. Grind Rails - lots actually.

mortons stork posted:

Hell yeah Infra is amazing. I loved that game. Hell of a polarizing experience so be warned. Devs have been working on their open sewer spinoff for years now so god knows when we'll get the infra dlc. Or a sequel

Watch Selenic Martian's LP here.. Highly recommended.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Video 13 - Gemlik Base

COMMENTARY
(24:03) | NO COMMENTARY

It's time to put Qwark down for good!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

The man's ego is so dense he has his own atmosphere!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Video 14 - Oltanis

COMMENTARY
(24:57) | NO COMMENTARY

In this level, Speedball and myself talk about the great weakness of Ratchet and Clank. When you get one without the other.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

Those tesla claw bots are a lot easier to handle once you discover they can't aim down and can just duck under their beams.

no comment

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Yeah, the game is built around jumping, not going lower. So ducking under a shot like that is... unintuitive.

Also, these are the same enemies fought on Veldin back in the prologue level.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Video 15 - Quartu (1)

COMMENTARY
(11:21) | NO COMMENTARY

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Video 16 - Kalebo III

COMMENTARY
(22:17) | NO COMMENTARY

Today, I do some races. Next time? I break the game thanks to said races.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Chimera-gui posted:

Correction: The Glove of Doom is a gauntlet that releases man-eating robots named Agents of Doom, the punching glove weapon is known as the Walloper.

Also I love how the old man is like "I picked the wrong guy...."

The Agents of Doom are actually a six-pack of the Gadgetbots that Clank manipulates, set to ATTACK!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Video 17 - Collectathon 1

COMMENTARY
(44:11) | NO COMMENTARY

It begins!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Video 18 - Collectathon 2

COMMENTARY
(27:00) | NO COMMENTARY

I've reached the end of my commentary backlog, so if anyone wants to help me finish this out, I've got three more Collection videos, three more Main videos, and the final NG+/All Weapons/Specials video. Join me at https://discord.gg/6YqnDaBT (and this is a 7 day invite) if you want to. Primary recording sessions are on Saturday/Sunday at 6PM Mountain, but I can be flexible.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Sorry for the delay, I ran out of commentary, and all my co-commentators decided to go on vacation at the same time.

Video 19 - Collectathon 3

COMMENTARY
(33:52) | NO COMMENTARY

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Almost done the Collectathon videos. Then we're back to the game itself.

Video 20 - Collectathon 4

COMMENTARY
(21:50) | NO COMMENTARY

berryjon
May 30, 2011

The last Collection Video!

Video 21 - Collectathon 5

COMMENTARY
(19:49) | NO COMMENTARY

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Guess what? We're out of the Collection Videos, and it's back to the plot!

Video 22 - Quartu (2)

COMMENTARY
(14:01) | NO COMMENTARY

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Sorry for the technical issues.

Video 23 - Drek's Fleet

COMMENTARY
(27:26) | NO COMMENTARY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Video 24 - Veldin

COMMENTARY
(41:39) | NO COMMENTARY

Video 24 - New Game Plus and Extras

COMMENTARY
(27:23)

In which I use the RYNO to its best effect, clear out a boss with stupid speed, and then go through and in the extras video, show off all the stuff that you get in NG+, like the other Gold Weapons, and the special extras. The last video is presented without commentary as there's a lot of talking in by people in the extras. (EDIT: And I just fixed the Link to NG+ Video, sorry!)

berryjon fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 3, 2022