Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ah, a proper classic, this game. Drek is still my favourite villain in the series, although the last game I played was A Crack In Time so I don't know if anyone else has come close since then.

I kinda miss the days when the weapons didn't have upgrades. From the second game on, you're somewhat discouraged from using weapons you've already maxed out since you're wasting potential XP. On the one hand it means you get to give all the weapons a proper try, but on the other hand you end up filling up your favourite, most fun weapons quickly and then not really using them much again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think lockon is less when you're standing still and more when you stay facing the enemy. It's just that without a strafe mechanic, to stay facing the enemy you either have to be standing still or running directly toward them.

Eudora is a funny planet, since the main bulk of it with all the interesting gameplay is a totally optional path that just leads you to a weapon. You never need to do anything there besides the swingshot route.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Man, back when I was first playing this game as a kid Blarg Station was so tough for me. You can see why in the video too; there's some very tough combat encounters here for this stage in the game. Fortunately you don't need the grind boots until all the way out in Pokitaru, so you can come back later with much better gear if you need to, but I didn't know that back then!

It's another odd planet where the main combat route of the level leads you to just a gadget while the main progress route is just a quicker side one. At least this one wasn't completely optional this time.
Come to think of it, this is true of both the previous and the next planet. It seems like something they played with early on then never really return to in the series, although that might be factor of the later games leaning harder into combat as their primary gameplay in general.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

berryjon posted:

Batalia actually, the 'under siege' level. You need the Grind Boots to get the next infobot. There's no grinding on Pokitaru, as that's where you need the Fighter's Helmet from Gaspar to finish the objective on Pokitaru to get the O2 helmet you need to get the Infobot on Orxon.

Batalia is when there's a grind rail, but you don't need that infobot just yet - the other route gets you the Orxon infobot, which gets you the Pokitaru one. Only once you're at Pokitaru is your progress stopped by the fact you didn't get the pilot's helmet, which you needed to do the grind rail to get the infobot to reach. So you can get as far as Pokitaru without having picked up the grind boots.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ah, the Rilgar water section. R&C was the first PS2 game I had and I wasn't yet used to the pressure-sensitive face buttons - didn't realise you had to press them harder to get Ratchet to swim up more. I caught a lot of deaths to the fact that I just couldn't outswim the rising water.
The whole planet strongly feels like it's built for you to do the race first and then go to see Qwark - you're there to attend the race to meet him, and then get the ironic twist that he didn't turn up in person, with the later joke that his trailer right next door - I don't think there's any actual other reason to have a door between the two end points except that joke. Ratchet even mentions that he was from the race when they do meet.

Pyrocitor was always my weapon of choice for dealing with the floating mines. It can keep them at bay when they're coming to you. Also, I suspect the bomb glove would have worked to permanently destroy the machine gun turrets? Most things if they respond to different weapons like that care if the weapon is explosive rather than how actually powerful it is. Similar for some of the destructible walls that hide a couple of gold bolts and the like.

Odd that you got Glove Of Doom ammo in the Snagglebeast fight, seeing as you hadn't bought the Glove Of Doom. I assume you're saving up for the Devastator?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It does feel like Clank's sections are supposed to be conceptually more puzzle-oriented, but since this is an action game for children they can't include real puzzles. There's a couple of bit like those doors that fit the idea but mostly it's just an object hunt for the gadge-bots in enclosed areas.

I'm not sure they ever really nail that balance. I think after R&C3 they just stopped trying to do Clank sections.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

stryth posted:

Ah, the hologuise, most useful gadget in the game, and not even remotely for it's intended function. Also I miss the Visibomb gun in later games, remote controlled missiles are just fun.

The Visibomb does put a lot of extra level design pressure on, though. There's a lot of stuff that thing can break.

Gaspar is an odd planet, having three routes but only one actual objective. It probably says something about how the levels were designed, that they'd put together the planet challenges first and decide which progress rewards are where afterwards.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pokitaru was the first level that really got me stuck when I first played this as a kid. It was the way the swarming enemies take two hits that did it. That's why the suck cannon is so effective, it can one-shot them with no ammo limit.
Honestly the whole rest of this act is a step-up in difficulty, though that is at least in part because back then I had come to rely on the Blaster as my main workhorse gun and here is where it starts to drop off in usefulness in favour of explosives.

The reason that infobot chase section is so notorious for speedrunners is because the last several planets are all geared around getting Ratchet onto Orxon - if you can get that infobot as Clank then you can completely skip going to Pokitaru and possibly also Gaspar. If I recall correctly the community managed to get to six of the seven checkpoints, but also found a completely different way to skip the whole section so it's a bit of a moot point now, aside from the glory of solving it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

This isn't the only planet with ice physics, there's an ice section on Oltanis too.

It's kind of funny to see Raritanium being treated as actually rare in this game. It's all over the place in the later games once it starts getting used as an upgrade material.
Although even now it's like the only item you get from an NPC without having to pay them or trade something.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

So I guess Qwark can just breathe in space huh

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Those tesla claw bots are a lot easier to handle once you discover they can't aim down and can just duck under their beams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I don't remember how I scraped together the bolts to do it, but I actually did manage to buy the RYNO before Veldin the first time I played this game. Used it to tear apart Drek; I never actually fought a challenging version of the final boss until the second time I played through, whenever that was!

Drek is still my favourite of the Ratchet and Clank villains, I think. He's more genuinely evil than Qwark or Nefarious, and not as melodramatic as the plots in the PS3 games (and I only played as far as Crack In Time so I couldn't comment on anything after that). Maybe it's just that being the first game it set the benchmark for me, but none of the other plots since managed to measure up in terms of what the bad guy was trying to do (even if the other game's plots are all better in other ways).
And I still crack a smile at the cash register noise when Drek talks about how he's in it for the money.