Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Light novels are Japanese novels which generally are shorter in length then full novels and which generally contain a handful of images to accompany the story. These can range from illustrations of the events of the book to a few 4 koma and can include full color images as well.

Other than those quirks they are regular novels. Many light novels have their origins in web novels, published online often as a “first draft” or to gather interest for a publisher, or just as a creative outlet for the author. Not all light novels have a web novel companion though.

Obviously, being created by Japanese authors they require translation, while machine translation is an option, and it’s often used for web novels which often never see a proper translator, many light novels are starting to see full fledged translations into English and other languages. There are few companies that have sprung up that focus heavily on these:

----------

J-Novel Club: which has over 100 published series. If you buy directly from them you also get a DRM free epub which you can load onto whatever. If you’re heavily invested in a series they are translating, you can also join as a premium member to gain access to pre-pubs, where books yet to be fully released are published in chunks ahead of time, usually on a weekly basis to give you a drip feed of them constantly. This also helps to improve the quality of the final release as it give the readers a chance to find and report translation, spelling, etc errors and report them to the editor before the full release.

Seven Seas Entertainment

Pretty much all the light novel publishers also offer their wares on the major book companies.
Kindle
NOOK
Kobo

----------

These are some popular LN’s:

So I’m a Spider, So What?: A reincarnation story of a classroom that is reincarnated in strange world, the MC is reincarnated as a spider and must struggle to deal with the dangerous world she is left in.

Ascendance of A bookworm: A certain college girl who's loved books ever since she was a little girl dies in an accident and is reborn in another world she knows nothing about. She is now Myne, the sickly five-year-old daughter of a poor soldier. To make things worse, the world she's been reborn in has a very low literacy rate and books mostly don't exist. She'd have to pay an enormous amount of money to buy one. Myne resolves herself: If there aren't any books, she'll just have to make them! Her goal is to become a librarian.

The Apothecary Diaries: Maomao, an unassuming girl raised in an unassuming town by her apothecary father, never imagined the rear palace would have anything to do with her—until she was kidnapped and sold into service there. Though she looks ordinary, Maomao has a quick wit, a sharp mind, and an extensive knowledge of medicine.

Prison Life is Easy for a Villainess: Prince Elliott is engaged to Rachel, the daughter of a duke, but he has his eyes set on someone else. He decides to break off their engagement by accusing Rachel of a crime she didn't commit and throwing her in prison. To her, prison sounds like a fun vacation with no lessons and no annoying servants. Her free and merry prison life is just beginning!

My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!: After hitting her head particularly hard one day, Duke Claes' daughter, Katarina, suddenly recalls all the memories of her past life: that of a teenage Japanese girl. Just before her untimely death, this girl recalls playing an otome game... that is exactly like the world she's living in now!

86-EIGHTY-SIX: The Republic of San Magnolia has long been under attack from the neighboring Giadian Empire's army of unmanned drones known as the Legion. After years of painstaking research, the Republic finally developed autonomous drones of their own. Turns out, though, that the San Mangolian drones are operated by “undesirables” the residents of the outer 86 sectors.

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime was basically my gateway drug into LNs. It's an isekai where the main character rapidly outclasses his opponents in terms of sheer strength, but it's not so much a "I can fight and beat up everyone" power fantasy as it is "I can make a better world for my friends" power fantasy. Within a couple of volumes it becomes less Dragon Quest and more Sid Meyers's Civ. I find it pretty comfy but there are definitely some overly talky bits that people could find boring (there's at least one planning meeting per volume).

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Has a cringey-rear end title* but is pretty solid if you want a fantasy world that has levels and distinct skills and monster fighting without worrying why it's ok to slaughter monsters. There's a big dungeon where monsters endlessly spawn, the gods have come down and grant video game like blessings and skills to their followers so they can fight the monsters (and because the quality of their followers is a competition between the gods). The main characters are all pretty good (Loki is a creep, but what else is new), there are some mysteries to the setting, friendships are forged, etc. It's kind of a pretty straightforward fantasy adventure story that takes place in a single city and the dungeon beneath.

*A better English translation would have likely been "Is it Wrong to Find Love in a Dungeon"

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? On the Side: Sword Oratoria Is a side story following Loki Familia that runs in parallel to the main series. The story delves into a different set of mysteries and a little more intrigue compared to the main line and I think it's a great companion series.

Konosuba: God's Blessing on This Wonderful World! A loser gets isekai'ed into a dysfunctional fantasy world, he forces the jerk goddess who sent him there to come with, and they recruit a couple of quirky morons into their party to defeat the demon lord. Someday. Maybe. It's a great comedy series that I think has been consistently humorous and enjoyable for it's entire run so far (I'm reading the official English release so I'm however many volumes behind.)

Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai Honestly this is a fantastic and sincere series about high school problem and relationships and teen drama being amplified to supernatural levels.

Banished from the Hero's Party, I Decided to Live a Quiet Life in the Countryside A mostly laid back slice of life fantasy where the power fantasy is "Turns out I actually was the one person keeping this place running." Notable for featuring a normal relationship between the two main characters that are in love and doesn't drag the "will they/won't they" out longer than about two chapters.

Otherside Picnic. It's a psychological horror yuri LN about two women who discover a parallel world full of spooky monsters and decide to explore it for fun and profit. The weirdness of the Otherside gradually starts to encroach on their daily lives, seeking them out even when they try to avoid it. Supernatural elements aside, it's basically a story about women bonding over shared trauma and surviving together.

Side-By-Side Dreamers is an earlier, shorter LN by the same author as Otherside Picnic that explores similar ideas. A group of girls hunt down monsters that infest humanity's dreams.

Sexiled is -- look, don't get put off by the title, it's a fun gay power fantasy, okay. A mage gets kicked out of her party because the leader thinks that women shouldn't be adventurers, and accidentally unseals an ancient sorceress who's shocked and appalled to see how women are treated in today's world. Together, they fight crime sexism. The story was inspired by a real-life scandal where Tokyo University med school applicants had their test scores adjusted downwards for being women. If you buy the premium version directly from J-Novel Club's website, there are a couple of bonus stories included in each volume.

A Lily Blooms in Another World is another LN by the Sexiled author, about getting isekaied into an otome game and romancing the villainess. It's short and cute.

I'm in Love With the Villainess is the other, longer, better-known LN about getting isekaied into an otome game and romancing the villainess. The main character's musings on her previous life are a thinly-veiled mouthpiece for the author's thoughts about what it's like to be a lesbian in Japan, but they're good thoughts so that's fine.

The Executioner and Her Way of Life is about Menou, a professional assassin in a fantasy world whose job is to kill people who get summoned in from Earth. In this setting, summonees gain special abilities that gradually warp their minds until they become obsessed with using their powers on increasingly large scales at every possible occasion, which feels like both a serious plot element and a commentary on the genre. Our protagonist meets Akari, a cheerful and carefree girl whose instinctive time-reversal powers make her impossible to kill, and so Menou befriends Akari in hopes of staying close to her until she can find a way to kill her. But Akari might be a little less clueless than Menou realizes...

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Hey I'm reading Kuma Kuma Kuma bear! The writing style is a bit weak but the concept is kind of fun/funny! After this I plan on reading either The Deer King or Konosuba. I have all of the KKKB volumes and it might get faster after this, but there's just so many cool lns and so little time.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I've been following Ascendance of a Bookworm for a while now, a few months ago I picked up a premium membership on J-Novel club to get the pre-pubs of it and I've really enjoyed that. It's fun to get a chunk of the book each week (between 30 minutes to an hour of reading) and being able to talk about the implications of it in the series' discord. Easily my favorite LN series so far by a wide margin.

Aside from that I'm also reading Apothecary's Diaries and Maomao is great in there. It's basically Sherlock Holmes in medieval china.

I enjoyed the first 4-5 books in Eighty Six. Kinda lost interest after that point, though I might pick it back up at some point.

If anyone else has LN series summaries they'd like me to add, please feel free to write them out and I can plop them into the OP.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

I've been following Ascendance of a Bookworm for a while now, a few months ago I picked up a premium membership on J-Novel club to get the pre-pubs of it and I've really enjoyed that. It's fun to get a chunk of the book each week (between 30 minutes to an hour of reading) and being able to talk about the implications of it in the series' discord. Easily my favorite LN series so far by a wide margin.

Aside from that I'm also reading Apothecary's Diaries and Maomao is great in there. It's basically Sherlock Holmes in medieval china.

I enjoyed the first 4-5 books in Eighty Six. Kinda lost interest after that point, though I might pick it back up at some point.

If anyone else has LN series summaries they'd like me to add, please feel free to write them out and I can plop them into the OP.

I'll add some after work. J novel club looks awesome, I've never heard of it before. I usually just read them on my kindle. Sometimes on the computer but I can't read for a long time on the computer. Currently LN are the main source of media I'm consuming. I've been wanting to find a series that really pulls me in deep. But I can only read one thing at a time otherwise I won't finish anything.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Ascendance of a Bookworm's been great and I always blast through the new releases. I'm also quite excited about the next volume of Otherside Picnic coming out in English in June. Unfortunately Volume 8 isn't seeing JP release until around the same time, so it'll be a long wait to get any more after that. Those two are probably my favorite LNs.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I forgot to add that I use https://ttu-ebook.web.app/ when I'm reading on not my kindle. So sometimes, I'll have a light novel on my phone, or on the computer for reading when I'm on the bus or something. You just put the .epub in there, and you can get the .epub when you buy a book from amazon and convert it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The latest arc in the English LNs for Re:Zero kind of sucks IMO. Every villain and hero under the sun comes out of the woodwork making it way too busy and every plot beat for each character stretched thin, and despite everything going on the main conflict is a very boring Emilia getting kidnapped and the threat of her getting married/enslaved to Regulus. Who has turned out to be the most boring, trite, uninspired kind of misogynistic villain whose entire shtick is that he objectifies his enslaved women by giving them numbers rather than names. The only thing that was good was Beatrice's new relationship with Subaru being very cute but then she's put out of commission super early on!!

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

The latest arc in the English LNs for Re:Zero kind of sucks IMO. Every villain and hero under the sun comes out of the woodwork making it way too busy and every plot beat for each character stretched thin, and despite everything going on the main conflict is a very boring Emilia getting kidnapped and the threat of her getting married/enslaved to Regulus. Who has turned out to be the most boring, trite, uninspired kind of misogynistic villain whose entire shtick is that he objectifies his enslaved women by giving them numbers rather than names. The only thing that was good was Beatrice's new relationship with Subaru being very cute but then she's put out of commission super early on!!

Is it specific to the English version?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Of course not, just clarifying since there's like a 10+ book gap between the English/JP releases and I bet some weirdos are reading the translated web novels which are way farther along.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
gonna post a bunch of yuri recommendations because that's what i do

Putting in a good word for Otherside Picnic. It's a psychological horror yuri LN about two women who discover a parallel world full of spooky monsters and decide to explore it for fun and profit. The weirdness of the Otherside gradually starts to encroach on their daily lives, seeking them out even when they try to avoid it. Supernatural elements aside, it's basically a story about women bonding over shared trauma and surviving together.

Side-By-Side Dreamers is an earlier, shorter LN by the same author as Otherside Picnic that explores similar ideas. A group of girls hunt down monsters that infest humanity's dreams.

Sexiled is -- look, don't get put off by the title, it's a fun gay power fantasy, okay. A mage gets kicked out of her party because the leader thinks that women shouldn't be adventurers, and accidentally unseals an ancient sorceress who's shocked and appalled to see how women are treated in today's world. Together, they fight crime sexism. The story was inspired by a real-life scandal where Tokyo University med school applicants had their test scores adjusted downwards for being women. If you buy the premium version directly from J-Novel Club's website, there are a couple of bonus stories included in each volume.

A Lily Blooms in Another World is another LN by the Sexiled author, about getting isekaied into an otome game and romancing the villainess. It's short and cute.

I'm in Love With the Villainess is the other, longer, better-known LN about getting isekaied into an otome game and romancing the villainess. The main character's musings on her previous life are a thinly-veiled mouthpiece for the author's thoughts about what it's like to be a lesbian in Japan, but they're good thoughts so that's fine.

The Executioner and Her Way of Life is about Menou, a professional assassin in a fantasy world whose job is to kill people who get summoned in from Earth. In this setting, summonees gain special abilities that gradually warp their minds until they become obsessed with using their powers on increasingly large scales at every possible occasion, which feels like both a serious plot element and a commentary on the genre. Our protagonist meets Akari, a cheerful and carefree girl whose instinctive time-reversal powers make her impossible to kill, and so Menou befriends Akari in hopes of staying close to her until she can find a way to kill her. But Akari might be a little less clueless than Menou realizes...

Roll Over and Die is trash, and I'm recommending it because sometimes I love trash. Flum Apricot was born with the power of Reversal, setting all of her stats to zero: basically, she has no useful abilities and gets out of breath climbing a flight of stairs. Unfortunately, she's one of the heroes prophesied to defeat the Demon Lord, so she has to tag along with the rest of the group, until eventually one of them gets sick of her uselessness and sells her into slavery. Forced to fight against monsters for her owner's entertainment, she grabs a cursed sword and learns the true nature of her power. It's a gory, edgy action-horror story about raising your stats until you're strong enough to kill God when all you really want to do is live a normal life with your girlfriend.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm still waiting for a new Baccano.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Thuryl posted:

I'm in Love With the Villainess is the other, longer, better-known LN about getting isekaied into an otome game and romancing the villainess. The main character's musings on her previous life are a thinly-veiled mouthpiece for the author's thoughts about what it's like to be a lesbian in Japan, but they're good thoughts so that's fine..

This is really good :toot:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Heh, judging by the cover to vol 3, things escalate quickly.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i got into wandering witch pretty late last year through the anime and while waiting season 2 (coming ????) i've been getting into the light novels

i liked volume 4 with amnesia, which is probably going to form the core of a season 2, and volume 6, and i hear that volume 7 (being released in english in 13 days) and volume 8 (coming in mid-may) are ones i should look forward to

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

The Kuma Kuma bear Ln I'm reading is interesting but the writing style is really shallow I guess. Ive never read the translation but I am interested in how they translated it. The story progresses really fast because there is hardly any exposition. The story is told through like short sentences. The chapter I just read was a recap of the book until the last point from the perspective of another character which was interesting to understand how the character perceived the events but also it was like an entire chapter of "we went to the inn. After the inn I went back home."

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Bookworm is really suffering from cast bloat right now. There are so many minor characters the reader is supposed to keep track of, and their familial relationships too. The book is so busy providing status updates on every character, there is barely any time to focus on the actual plot. It'd help if more of them were actually interesting, but a lot of them already have had their character arc resolved, and they just stick around not doing much that is important. The academy temporarily solved that problem, but it also ended up introducing a bazillion more characters to keep track of.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Bookworm is really suffering from cast bloat right now. There are so many minor characters the reader is supposed to keep track of, and their familial relationships too. The book is so busy providing status updates on every character, there is barely any time to focus on the actual plot. It'd help if more of them were actually interesting, but a lot of them already have had their character arc resolved, and they just stick around not doing much that is important. The academy temporarily solved that problem, but it also ended up introducing a bazillion more characters to keep track of.

If it helps, Bookworm has a really good wiki (partly because of the issue you talked about).

https://ascendance-of-a-bookworm.fandom.com/wiki/Ascendance_of_a_Bookworm_Wiki

I think most of the folks from parts 1 and 2 aren't really relevant anymore and can be largely ignored.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I’ve only been following the collectors edition releases of Full Metal Panic so I just got the third one (just hit chapter 3 of book 8). It really makes me wish that they would be able to finish the anime series. The anime (outside of the Gonzo adaptation where they added some stuff in) has been surprisingly faithful to the source material and the books are great and I really like how they read. I’d highly recommend people check them out as J Novel Club has done some good work with them and if you like physical copies the collectors editions are nice and thick and feel great.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

The Black Stones posted:

I’ve only been following the collectors edition releases of Full Metal Panic so I just got the third one (just hit chapter 3 of book 8). It really makes me wish that they would be able to finish the anime series. The anime (outside of the Gonzo adaptation where they added some stuff in) has been surprisingly faithful to the source material and the books are great and I really like how they read. I’d highly recommend people check them out as J Novel Club has done some good work with them and if you like physical copies the collectors editions are nice and thick and feel great.

I bought the whole full metal panic set the other day! I'm so excited to read it. I read so slow and my backlog is growing I don't know when it will happen. I bought a kindle to carry everything around in which makes it even more fun.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

So at the beginning of the lockdown in the far distant past of 2020 I decided to pick up a few light novels for some breezy reading and I have a few series I can recommend:

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime was basically my gateway drug into LNs. It's an isekai where the main character rapidly outclasses his opponents in terms of sheer strength, but it's not so much a "I can fight and beat up everyone" power fantasy as it is "I can make a better world for my friends" power fantasy. Within a couple of volumes it becomes less Dragon Quest and more Sid Meyers's Civ. I find it pretty comfy but there are definitely some overly talky bits that people could find boring (there's at least one planning meeting per volume).

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Has a cringey-rear end title* but is pretty solid if you want a fantasy world that has levels and distinct skills and monster fighting without worrying why it's ok to slaughter monsters. There's a big dungeon where monsters endlessly spawn, the gods have come down and grant video game like blessings and skills to their followers so they can fight the monsters (and because the quality of their followers is a competition between the gods). The main characters are all pretty good (Loki is a creep, but what else is new), there are some mysteries to the setting, friendships are forged, etc. It's kind of a pretty straightforward fantasy adventure story that takes place in a single city and the dungeon beneath.

*A better English translation would have likely been "Is it Wrong to Find Love in a Dungeon"

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? On the Side: Sword Oratoria Is a side story following Loki Familia that runs in parallel to the main series. The story delves into a different set of mysteries and a little more intrigue compared to the main line and I think it's a great companion series.

Konosuba: God's Blessing on This Wonderful World! A loser gets isekai'ed into a dysfunctional fantasy world, he forces the jerk goddess who sent him there to come with, and they recruit a couple of quirky morons into their party to defeat the demon lord. Someday. Maybe. It's a great comedy series that I think has been consistently humorous and enjoyable for it's entire run so far (I'm reading the official English release so I'm however many volumes behind.)

Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai Honestly this is a fantastic and sincere series about high school problem and relationships and teen drama being amplified to supernatural levels.

Banished from the Hero's Party, I Decided to Live a Quiet Life in the Countryside A mostly laid back slice of life fantasy where the power fantasy is "Turns out I actually was the one person keeping this place running." Notable for featuring a normal relationship between the two main characters that are in love and doesn't drag the "will they/won't they" out longer than about two chapters.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Added the additional suggestions to the OP.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

8one6 posted:

It ends with volume 17 which came out in English last year. Though there's still a spinoff series going and the author's implied it will likely get another miniseries or two that tie off loose ends in the future.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

It ends with volume 17 which came out in English last year. Though there's still a spinoff series going and the author's implied it will likely get another miniseries or two that tie off loose ends in the future.

I've been reading them on Kindle. Vol 16 drops in April and then Vol 17 sometime after that.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

J-Novel club added a few more LN series to their lineup. Folks are real positive on this one:

VTuber Legend: How I Went Viral after Forgetting to Turn Off My Stream

Basically a girl quits her job to be a V-tuber but isn't getting any viewers with her family friendly persona that her agent has her adopting. As the title describes, she accidentally leaves her stream on while getting drunk and finds that she suddenly gets to be popular. So she goes full goblin mode.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Amazon just let me know that the kindle edition of Rascal Does Not Dream Book 7 has been pushed back until April 26. I'm guessing it has to do with the release of the print edition which I guess was pushed back because global logistics are hosed sideways.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

8one6 posted:

Amazon just let me know that the kindle edition of Rascal Does Not Dream Book 7 has been pushed back until April 26. I'm guessing it has to do with the release of the print edition which I guess was pushed back because global logistics are hosed sideways.

And after the last volume ended on such a cliffhanger too. I guess I could watch the movie to find out what happens, but doing so after waiting for the next print release is kind of sad.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Thuryl posted:

I read vol 1 and enjoyed it, bought vol 2 but haven't read it yet. Vol 1 at least gets my seal of approval.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Nitrousoxide posted:

I read vol 1 and enjoyed it, bought vol 2 but haven't read it yet. Vol 1 at least gets my seal of approval.

It does have the issue where it obviously was supposed to be a two volume story (just finished vol 2 last night,) but it does seem to recover a lot better from the extension than Bakarina does.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Got about halfway through vol 2 today and the OP wasn’t joking about the author using this as an opportunity to tell their thoughts on gender and sexuality. I do think it could be done somewhat more elegantly, as there have been a few cases where they have more or less turned to the camera to speak directly to the reader.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I got the second collection of Banner of the Stars and I’m about halfway through. This is great sci-fi. Dealing with the names is a little tough but I love the direction the story took and it really feels like a huge back and forth galactic war is happening on a scale the other volumes couldn’t convey. I would love for this material to be animated to see how they would deal with the scope of the battles, but it seems like it would be a nightmare to animate it so we’re probably never going to get it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The Black Stones posted:

I got the second collection of Banner of the Stars and I’m about halfway through. This is great sci-fi. Dealing with the names is a little tough but I love the direction the story took and it really feels like a huge back and forth galactic war is happening on a scale the other volumes couldn’t convey. I would love for this material to be animated to see how they would deal with the scope of the battles, but it seems like it would be a nightmare to animate it so we’re probably never going to get it.

It already exists. I watched it a long time ago and I remember the space battles being largely background. Which is a shame. While not as well presented as the much smaller scale Crest of the Stars anime, they were still handled much better than most anime. If you want quality large scale space battles in anime, check out Legend of The Galactic Heroes. I don't know if there's an LN of that one.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

There's LoGH novels and all ten have been released in English.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

LLSix posted:

It already exists. I watched it a long time ago and I remember the space battles being largely background. Which is a shame. While not as well presented as the much smaller scale Crest of the Stars anime, they were still handled much better than most anime. If you want quality large scale space battles in anime, check out Legend of The Galactic Heroes. I don't know if there's an LN of that one.

Have it, watched it. Not what I was talking about. The newest collection of Banner of the Stars (vol 4-6) is all material that the anime never got to and, without going into spoilers, has some huge battle scenes that absolutely eclipse the mine style battle scenes that the anime covers and I couldn’t see the anime doing that justice if it had continued into that material. I also mean the scale of the conflict in regards to the story has broadened. In the previous volumes the Empire is shown to really consistently have the upper hand, but in this volume they run into some huge adversity.

The Space Battles in Banner are also definitely not background for the first season of Banner, it’s definitely a little more in the background of the second season of Banner though, but that season is also adapting one volume of the series where a good chunk has been some space stuff up to that point.

8one6
May 20, 2012

The hardcover collections for Crest/Banner of the Stars showed up in my Amazon recommends a while ago and I've been really tempted to pick them up.

Also it's really weird which LNs get hardcover releases and which only get paperback. loving Overlord is in hardcover.

Oh yeah, here's an anti-recommend:
Overlord isn't worth reading. I know, because I read the first 10 or so during 2020 because of a hope that they would get better and sunk cost fallacy. They don't get better. It's the same poo poo for 10 volumes. The joke that Ains doesn't notice just how horrible his little monster squad it stops being funny around vol 3 and then it's just generally gross. If you like the idea then watch the anime. It's the exact same poo poo but you get through it faster.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

8one6 posted:

The hardcover collections for Crest/Banner of the Stars showed up in my Amazon recommends a while ago and I've been really tempted to pick them up.

Also it's really weird which LNs get hardcover releases and which only get paperback. loving Overlord is in hardcover.

The hardcovers are really nice and if you like having a physical product I highly recommend them. The Full Metal Panic books are also in hardcover but I’d give the nod to the Crest/Banner books for having a better feel with the material they used.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

8one6 posted:

Oh yeah, here's an anti-recommend:
Overlord isn't worth reading. I know, because I read the first 10 or so during 2020 because of a hope that they would get better and sunk cost fallacy. They don't get better. It's the same poo poo for 10 volumes. The joke that Ains doesn't notice just how horrible his little monster squad it stops being funny around vol 3 and then it's just generally gross. If you like the idea then watch the anime. It's the exact same poo poo but you get through it faster.

100% agree with the anti-recommend. It is just bad and gross over and over. If you want a series with the joke about the main character being oblivious but constantly misinterpreted as a genius, read To Be A Power In the Shadows. I only read the WN, but I assume the LN is pretty good as well, the main character is more of a fun idiot as opposed to a murderous idiot, and I think the humor works better.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

J-Novel Club has a new set of "Catchups" for this month:

https://forums.j-novel.club/topic/5482/don-t-forget-to-get-your-taxes-done-with-all-these-april-catchups

Ascendance of a Bookworm
Walking My Second Path in Life
Our Crappy Social Game Club Is Gonna Make the Most Epic Game
The White Cat's Revenge as Plotted from the Dragon King's Lap
Demon Lord, Retry!

Catchup basically allows you to subscribe to their service, even just as a regular member, premium not required, and read the entire series included in your membership. You can read their releases in their J-Novel app, or on their website. If you've not read it, I'd HIGHLY recommend Ascendance of a Bookworm which is my all-time favorite light novel.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

More princesses should get high on magic speed and kidnap aristocratic daughters.

The first Magical Revolution book came out and it was a fun read.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Survival in Another World with my Mistress (the Minecraft isekai) was alright for the first volume but pivoted into pure anime harem in volume 2 so if that's not your thing then I'd say skip the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

8one6 posted:

Survival in Another World with my Mistress (the Minecraft isekai) was alright for the first volume but pivoted into pure anime harem in volume 2 so if that's not your thing then I'd say skip the series.

Yeah the story really starts to suffer when it goes beyond just him and the elf girl