Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Going to uno-reverse the previous anti-recommendations of Overlord, the worldbuilding is insanely good and the central toxic loop wherin the main character puts on an act of omnipotence so as to not disappoint his underlings who, in turn, are driven to further fanatic acts of loyalty due to the utter fear that he may abandon them like their other "parents" is actually pretty compelling.

I agree that you won't get much out of it if you don't find the central joke of "skeleton completely bullshits his way into accidental chessmastery" funny though. Or dislike insanely brutal murder(but nothing worse than that).

Anyway I like it but I can also see why other people wouldn't.

Roxors posted:

100% agree with the anti-recommend. It is just bad and gross over and over. If you want a series with the joke about the main character being oblivious but constantly misinterpreted as a genius, read To Be A Power In the Shadows. I only read the WN, but I assume the LN is pretty good as well, the main character is more of a fun idiot as opposed to a murderous idiot, and I think the humor works better.

Shadows is absurdly good for the first few arcs, but it unfortunately runs out of steam fairly quickly after that. The main character's also kind of an unpleasant person, which is one of the central jokes yeah but it crosses over into "wow gently caress this dude" a couple times. When it's good it's really good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The first volume of Disciple of the Lich was a pretty enjoyable read. It's a pretty standard overpowered MC isekai but so far I like the characters (and none of them have done anything horrible yet). The setting being explained as reality TV for the gods is actually a pretty decent way to explain the whole JRPG mechanics thing.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

My gateway into light novels was Accomplishments of the Duke's Daughter, a story where an accountant gets isekai'd into an otome game as the antagonist.

And if you want to get into charmingly absurd, there's Muscles Are Better Than Magic! The main character is obsessed with muscles and training, pulling off ridiculous feats with what he calls "muscle magic". Like "kicking the air really fast to fly". Wish I could find out when another volume is coming out, but Doraneko as a pen name doesn't seem to help me with trying to Google a social media account or anything. As it is, Bookwalker doesn't have any English releases for it through July.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
elaina volume 8 came out in english today and it was very, very good

it's got a good mix of stories that are comedic, heartwarming, depressing, sometimes all even within the same story, and pulls off a pretty :tviv: reveal about fran in its last chapter

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I'm starting reincarnated as a vending machine. i'll let you all know if it is good

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Oh my. Apothecary Dairies 5 came out and Maomao is trying to get Jinshi laid at the Verdigris House.

Going about as well as you think it would.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Ascendance of a Bookworm: Part 2 Volume 4: Holy poo poo! When it rains it pours!

I've loved this series so far and this volume paid off basically all of the noble intrigue all in one burst.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

8one6 posted:

Ascendance of a Bookworm: Part 2 Volume 4: Holy poo poo! When it rains it pours!

I've loved this series so far and this volume paid off basically all of the noble intrigue all in one burst.

Extremely bold of the author to kill and replace our main character huh? [Bookworm 2.4 ending]

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Yinlock posted:

Going to uno-reverse the previous anti-recommendations of Overlord, the worldbuilding is insanely good and the central toxic loop wherin the main character puts on an act of omnipotence so as to not disappoint his underlings who, in turn, are driven to further fanatic acts of loyalty due to the utter fear that he may abandon them like their other "parents" is actually pretty compelling.

I agree that you won't get much out of it if you don't find the central joke of "skeleton completely bullshits his way into accidental chessmastery" funny though. Or dislike insanely brutal murder(but nothing worse than that).

I liked him in the earlier books much better, where he was just an accidental war criminal instead of an on purpose one.

Like sending his minions out to get animal hides, and the devil is like we found some two legged "goats" while previously being really obvious about thinking of normal humans as animals, ect...

But then in the later ones when they had rounded up a bunch of civilians and he is worried they would have seen some of his secrets so he just orders that they be killed painlessly. It would have been better if he ordered his minions to "do some something so no secrets leak out" and the minions are like, well there is no perfect memory magic, so he must mean we need to kill all these people.
They could still have his lich instincts do brutal murders to the tomb raider people, to show how his mind is being changed, but keep more of the genocide mistakes in other situations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Yeah, I avoided Overlord because I want a series where I can root for the main character, and Overlord was very much not that. A Wild Last Boss Appeared seemed to have something similar going with actually likeable characters but it hasn't updated in a long time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i wanted overlord to be about a decent guy who is in way over his head. that's not what it is, at all. it's a story about unstoppable monsters being unstoppable monsters, and that's not something i'm into.

8one6
May 20, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i wanted overlord to be about a decent guy who is in way over his head. that's not what it is, at all. it's a story about unstoppable monsters being unstoppable monsters, and that's not something i'm into.

This is pretty much my feelings about it as well. Reincarnated as a Slime does "unstoppably overpowered" better just by the virtue of having a likable cast and a plot that's not solely focused on being edge lord evil and Eminence in Shadows does "clueless dude bumble into success" better.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
overlord didn't even make the fall into a genocidal undead calamity interesting. whenever ainz was on the verge of character development, he'd instantly be afflicted with emotional suppression. unless you enjoy monsters killing, eating, torturing and in shalltear's case, raping people it's so incredibly shallow. it's no wonder that all the imitations of overlord focused on the momonga aspect instead.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

overlord didn't even make the fall into a genocidal undead calamity interesting. whenever ainz was on the verge of character development, he'd instantly be afflicted with emotional suppression. unless you enjoy monsters killing, eating, torturing and in shalltear's case, raping people it's so incredibly shallow. it's no wonder that all the imitations of overlord focused on the momonga aspect instead.

Exactly!
They should have had him struggle with it, trying to get the minions to be nicer, but worried that they will see he is a fraud, ect..

Onto another LN.
To Another World... with Land Mines!

I didnt read the description at all, I was sortof thinking it would be like I Shall Survive Using Potions! , but with an MC with an encyclopedic knowledge of landmines. The MC could start with leg cripplers and eventually level up to the chicken warmed nuclear landmines. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Peacock
This is not what happens in To Another World... with Land Mines! The titular Land Mines are their other classmates.
In this LN a whole class gets isekai'd and when the god is explaining stuff people complained that the skills he was giving were too lame, so the god made a whole bunch of trap skills that people could choose.
The LN follows three friends, and it reads more like a rational fic than a standard LN isekai, they just make normal smart choices and slowly improve their situation. In the first book they never even see another classmate, just hear about some them dying.
I would say it is ok, I would read more.

And another
Loner Life in Another World
This one starts with a strong prologue,

We weren’t the protagonists of this world, but he was trying to become one. We were just a bunch of kids, dropped into this world as minor characters. We ended up pointlessly slaughtering each other. Believing that he was a main character was his first—and greatest—miscalculation.

In his quest to become invincible, he had killed my other classmates and copied their skills. He roared in anger as he stabbed at me with his sword, shot deadly magic spells, and launched every skill imaginable my way, but I wouldn’t die.
He was just another self-declared math genius who didn’t realize that in this world, one plus one didn’t have to equal two. His calculations could only have failed him. In this world, dice could roll numbers that didn’t exist. Here, impossible things happened, and inevitable things didn’t. Probability was fundamentally broken.

He needed to refactor all the possibilities. As he tried to account for all of them at once, he pushed against his own limits. System overload. Meanwhile, I relied on my well-honed instincts. He tried to map his formulae onto a die that might not even roll a number, to establish constants for a world of variables beyond his understanding. Garbage in, garbage out.

The rest of the LN does not live up to the prologue, just pretty standard LN, nothing offensive, but nothing super great.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's one's super funny because the manga spends like 3 pages at the start of every chapter listing all the characters. the mc's not a loner and he was never alone. he probably should be, what with how he's such a complete shithead that he deliberately refuses to remember anyone's name. instead he calls the dozens of people surrounding him at all times low effort insulting nicknames.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Having now read the first three parts of Ascendance of a Bookworm I'm going to give it a strong recommend. Myne is an amazing book gremlin and I love reading about her efforts to drag the fantasy word into the age of widespread literacy.

I finished Part 4 volume 3 yesterday so I'm likely going to be caught up with the official English releases my the end of the week.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

ianmacdo posted:

I liked him in the earlier books much better, where he was just an accidental war criminal instead of an on purpose one.

Like sending his minions out to get animal hides, and the devil is like we found some two legged "goats" while previously being really obvious about thinking of normal humans as animals, ect...

But then in the later ones when they had rounded up a bunch of civilians and he is worried they would have seen some of his secrets so he just orders that they be killed painlessly. It would have been better if he ordered his minions to "do some something so no secrets leak out" and the minions are like, well there is no perfect memory magic, so he must mean we need to kill all these people.
They could still have his lich instincts do brutal murders to the tomb raider people, to show how his mind is being changed, but keep more of the genocide mistakes in other situations.

He has always been really evil though. Basically every time he is acting heroic, he is solving a problem he created in the first place or at least has ulterior motives. The only exception is when he saves Carne Village the first time, and when he defeats Clementine and her ally. splat fest explicitly spells this out. Its better than something like Slime which basically had its own splat fest but the author doesn't even view it as a possibly bad thing.

This is also why Overlord switches to perspectives that aren't Ainz and the Tomb of Nazarick denizens. Those are the characters you are supposed to sympathize with. It also develops characters much more than the average LN does.

Overlord is also one of the few Isekai that doesn't rely on everything being resolved by fighting or the character leveling up a skill. Sure there is still a lot of it, but most of the problems in the story can't be resolved only by being the strongest person around.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

8one6 posted:

Having now read the first three parts of Ascendance of a Bookworm I'm going to give it a strong recommend. Myne is an amazing book gremlin and I love reading about her efforts to drag the fantasy word into the age of widespread literacy.

I finished Part 4 volume 3 yesterday so I'm likely going to be caught up with the official English releases my the end of the week.

If you preorder 4.7 on J-novel you'll get access to the pre-pub for it as well and the volume is all done with prepub so you can read it a couple of weeks earlier than the official release in the middle of this month.

8one6
May 20, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

... splat fest explicitly spells this out. Its better than something like Slime which basically had its own splat fest but the author doesn't even view it as a possibly bad thing.
... .

If you're referring to Rimuru killing all of the soldiers during the invasion of Tempest then I'd agree with the author since that army was there to explicitly genocide the monster nation. You can call what Rimuru did a war crime but the invading forces opened with killing unarmed children. Hashtag Rimuru Did Nothing Wrong

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Doesn't Rimaru's ability explicitly only work on people who've surrendered though?

And wasn't he like "well I'll probably never get another chance to use this, may as well use the genocide ability now."

8one6
May 20, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Doesn't Rimaru's ability explicitly only work on people who've surrendered though?

And wasn't he like "well I'll probably never get another chance to use this, may as well use the genocide ability now."

I'm pretty sure that's not the case (at least I don't remember that being a condition of its use.) The way I remember the LN describing it was just a massively complex array of water droplets being used focus the sun into thousands of laser beams. I'm also pretty sure I remember that he never gave them the chance to surrender. So yeah, that's kind of terrible, but you know, invading genocidal army, so I'm not going to say he was wrong to do it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

8one6 posted:

If you're referring to Rimuru killing all of the soldiers during the invasion of Tempest then I'd agree with the author since that army was there to explicitly genocide the monster nation. You can call what Rimuru did a war crime but the invading forces opened with killing unarmed children. Hashtag Rimuru Did Nothing Wrong

Even if you believe its justified, the author had the choice to not write a plot that attempts to justify a war crime. It wasn't a spur of a moment thing by the protagonist either, the protagonist was planning on killing everybody in the army beforehand. The reason I compared it to Overlord is because Overlord used that as an example of an explicitly evil thing, and didn't contrive a reason to justify it and try make their protagonist still look like a good guy. Heck, there were even long term consequences for Ainz actions, and the kingdom who had their army massacred actually ran into a labor problem because its army was full of conscripted farmers.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

ianmacdo posted:

To Another World... with Land Mines!

I didnt read the description at all, I was sortof thinking it would be like I Shall Survive Using Potions! , but with an MC with an encyclopedic knowledge of landmines. The MC could start with leg cripplers and eventually level up to the chicken warmed nuclear landmines. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Peacock
This is not what happens in To Another World... with Land Mines! The titular Land Mines are their other classmates.
In this LN a whole class gets isekai'd and when the god is explaining stuff people complained that the skills he was giving were too lame, so the god made a whole bunch of trap skills that people could choose.
The LN follows three friends, and it reads more like a rational fic than a standard LN isekai, they just make normal smart choices and slowly improve their situation. In the first book they never even see another classmate, just hear about some them dying.
I would say it is ok, I would read more.

this ln feels like the author got annoyed at other isekai and decided to write a more realistic/grounded story in a premodern setting with less OP powers, which is fine, except he forgot to actually write a "story" with "tension" or "conflict". the entirety of volume 1 is:

1) pick skills, get reincarnated
2) three MCs go to town
3) they register as adventurers, go picking herbs, kill boars, pick fruit, sell proceeds, practice their skills for a month
4) that's literally it

the "landmines" in the title refers to "cheat" skills that have terrible drawbacks, but they don't even meet any classmates that have those skills, so it just ends up as a chekhovs gun that never fires.

also the author has an incredibly annoying writing style where everything the characters do takes 5 times longer than it should. like, instead of writing a shopping trip by having a scene where the characters are buying things with an additional explanation of why they chose those items, the author will have a scene where the characters talk about what they need to buy, describe their budget, list everything theyre thinking about buying, narrow down their choices, reflect on how the prices of good differs from eath, decide when in the day to go shopping, and then have the shopping scene. everything is bogged down with endless asides, internal monologues, and redundant dialogue.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I looked at Landmines on Amazon, and most of the reviews agree. A truly impressive amount of time spend complaining about the bread being too hard and not having spices for the boar. Lots of time spent reminding each other of what they are planning to do, what they are doing, what they just did.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Volume 7 of Otherside Picnic is out, and the cover is Real Good

What I've read of it is good with Satsukis most :ghost: appearance despite just sitting at a table

8one6
May 20, 2012

Ascendance of a Bookworm Part 4 Vol 7 "Rosemyne, I hope you are not thinking of becoming the next aub simply so you may enter the archive." loving LOL

8one6 fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 18, 2022

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Hell yeah, Rozemyne rocks in the newest 4.8 prepub.

“In any case, you are that precious to me,” I said. “To save you, I wouldn’t even mind stealing the Grutrissheit and becoming queen.”
“What are you saying, you fool?!” Ferdinand snapped, his eyes wide. To me, it was the perfect idea; I could read the Grutrissheit to my heart’s content, save Ferdinand, and then return the book to the king. Everybody wins.

Getting Fast and Furious 9 vibes here. Lovin' it.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
(also talking about bookworm prepub) I kinda reckoned at the time that lending out printed books would eventually lead to people figuring out those things weren't handwritten. really kinda confusing why they didn't expect that after what happened with shampoo. altho it's a shame that no one else values written materials so highly, unlike shampoo, since I would love to see what kind of attempt to hack together a competitor to movable type printing the others could come up with using magical brute force methods. maybe like, using some sort of heat or acid magic effect to etch a page written in mana ink through a metal plate, then using that as a stencil. or some variant of the entwickeln magic to produce solid printing blocks (this would basically be impractical to use for anything besides official proclamations I guess). ultimately movable type is a revolution because we can't make a stencil or solid printing block anywhere near as quickly as we can write a page, but maybe that doesn't hold for them? in which case ehrenfest would have had to rely on the labor cost advantage of an all-commoner supply chain and production line. but I imagine the main reaction of aub dunkelfelger to figuring out that ehrenfest has some kinda book mass production invention is to watch and wait, or maybe sell the information to drewanchel as a clue to the secret of the grades

oh yeah and i guess some aristocrat politics happened. whatever, i want industrial espionage

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
The final collectors edition of Full Metal Panic is out which concluded the main story. I was actually a little bit shocked because I played the Full Metal Panic game and it went through the entire story fairly accurately, albeit in a very condensed manner. The novels were a great and intriguing read, and I’m super happy that I was able to at least get a great conclusion to the series in the intended way.

I really wish some anime studio takes it upon themselves to finish the story in anime form because they were getting incredibly close if they cut out any side content. I’m hoping that the novels did well enough that J-Novel club considers other works by Gatou like Cop Craft because I liked the premise and story of Cop Craft, but the animation was dogcrap.

I need to see what new light novel series that I should get into that’s not an Isekai. It seems there’s so few Sci-Fi stuff like FMP and Crest/Banner which I both loved.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Jesus. I was looking at j novel club and

Backstabbed in a Backwater Dungeon: My Trusted Companions Tried to Kill Me, But Thanks to the Gift of an Unlimited Gacha I Got LVL 9999 Friends and Am Out For Revenge on My Former Party Members and the World

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Guyver posted:

Backstabbed in a Backwater Dungeon: My Trusted Companions Tried to Kill Me, But Thanks to the Gift of an Unlimited Gacha I Got LVL 9999 Friends and Am Out For Revenge on My Former Party Members and the World

same

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Guyver posted:

what's it about

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
competitive shogi, mostly.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Guyver posted:

Sounds like something about to get heavy promotion from Crunchy or Netflix.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
hold the phone yen press' social media guy is on the line

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if that's the one i'm thinking of the mc is genocidal, racist, and treats the sapient life he creates on a whim as property.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

if that's the one i'm thinking of the mc is genocidal, racist, and treats the sapient life he creates on a whim as property.

I'm pretty sure there's a baker's dozen of LNs with that description trending in the Narou space. Anything more specific you could site?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
his goal is explicitly to wipe out all sapient life other than humans. but first, he's going to torture his enemies to death as revenge.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
revenge motive stuff with cheap fantasy/game settings is always deeply cursed poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

this allusion meant posted:

revenge motive stuff with cheap fantasy/game settings is always deeply cursed poo poo

Revenge motive stuff involving people isekai'd from the real world is always deeply disturbing because of what it implies about the writers/readers. Just imagine being some adult fantasizing about owning (or even outright killing) people who were mean to you in high school.

Even worse are the ones where a person doesn't even go yo an isekai and just goes back in time in their own life. It's like an almost comically unhealthy mindset turned into a story.