Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

StarkingBarfish posted:

Best eating I've ever done was a mosque kitchen. Those guys had it right. Only a couple of options, queue at the buffet while a bunch of folks behind it are stirring a bathtub full of boiling rice and spices. Imam wandering around chatting to folks and joking with the kids. Cost next to nothing, was always cheerful and was packed out every lunchtime.

Same is true of a buddhist-run place I used to visit, they're genuninely happy to be serving you good food.

It's the simple, friendly places where the staff are clearly enjoying themselves that I'd go for every time. I don't particularly enjoy being 'served' food by someone who is doing it because they have to, and I don't think under capitalism there's much room for the alternative above, but plenty under a more equitable system.

E: I guess that's the point, really. If people are relaxed enough to be chatting and joking while doing food prep, or are having a natter with a regular, or have a small enough turnover to not be constantly hovering over tables to prep them for the next set of 'guests' that's a loss of potential revenue that cannot be tolerated by capitalism.

Those places are nice and good imo, but if the scent of delicious religious curry is still too hierarchical for you most reasonably sized cities are going to have poorly advertised voluntarily or
cooperatively run food places (even if they don't always call themselves a co-op and are often not explicitly anarchist). Vegan or vegetarian places are usually a good bet to start looking, typically they'll serve a limited menu of reasonably priced food that changes probably based on what they can get cheap at the moment. You might well find a slightly grotty event venue attached that puts on cool bands, art events and maybe even occasional non-parliamentary political organising.

e: I don't have any cats at the moment but here is a very good girl for the top of the new page.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

I'm sure you can still find a pub for that kind of thing if you want. :v:

Erica Lagalisse has written a lot about a certain type of bro who is all over "police use power to abuse members of the public" but when someone makes a similar statement about men and women they get all "but what about the false accusations, the systems of power love to falsely accuse true hero leaders of the revolution" and it's a big enough red flag to vanguard a revolution by itself when you look at historical data.

This is a pretty good description of the situation and I’ll definitely give her a read, cheers

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Gambrinus posted:

I've just booked flights to Belfast in June. Been meaning to go for years. Where's good and is there anywhere I absolutely should not go?

Being on this website obviously I'm of a certain age and just associate Belfast with bombs, kneecappings, and gruff men being interviewed in shadow. I'm sure there's more to it than that though.

How long are you there? Might you have time to get out to Giant's Causeway? I think they do tours straight from Belfast, but there's also a reasonably well coordinated train/bus service from what I recall. But yeah, flegs outside of Belfast.

We spent 4 days in and around Belfast but I can't remember what we did! A lot of eating usually marks our trips.
Ed: Doh - titanic museum. Should be ok if you're outside school hols. There were ominous signs such as '1 hour to the next sign saying 1 hour' for queuing but we went in a September and there was no queue. Well worth it.

There's also Game of Thrones bits and bobs but as I didn't watch that until last year, it didn't occur to me to go visit.

I just remember another thing we did - happened to coincide with a talk by Ranulph Fiennes who is very entertaining (and self-deprecating) and I've been a fan of his for decades... swoon... one for the golden oldies :D (ignoring the politics for a bit!)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 30, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Giants Causeway is very ironically much smaller than you would expect but it's quite nice on a nice day. Plus that ropebridge a few miles away that keeps getting sabotaged by local youngsters lol

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
If you do get to Giants Causeway, you can actually get on to it without having to pass through the museum which is quite expensive - we managed to by pass it.
And the hotel on the corner there helpfully has toilets you can use without having to go in and buy a drink (unless you want to of course!)
There are also special buses up and down the first bit of the Causeway if walking down/up a steep incline is not your thing.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/libcomorg/status/1531409588465156096?t=paIqWlZOWBidaHRsAdyeVQ&s=19

Oh my loving god, he's still going on about restaurants

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Was in Costco earlier and I noticed they’ve taken down all the perspex sheets around the tills; despite the “COVID is over” talk I don’t think I’ve seen anywhere else actively reducing measures yet? E.g everywhere else I can think of still has screens at tills, hand sanitizer everywhere, and signs imploring social distancing and mask use (both totally ignored)

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
loads of places here have got rid of the perspex screens and stuff but was just watching hignfy and ian hislop was still shielded from his team mate wang

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

that's actually just because Hislop doesn't want to breathe in Chinaman cooties

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

if you're in belfast say hello to me uncle bobby, he's great craic

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TACD posted:

Was in Costco earlier and I noticed they’ve taken down all the perspex sheets around the tills; despite the “COVID is over” talk I don’t think I’ve seen anywhere else actively reducing measures yet? E.g everywhere else I can think of still has screens at tills, hand sanitizer everywhere, and signs imploring social distancing and mask use (both totally ignored)

My local shop has gotten rid of the perspex screen already. And clearly haven't bothered to refill the hand sanitiser for about a month. And local Tesco Extra still has them between the self service checkouts but I don't believe the staffed checkouts have them. Which seems dumb.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/ZoeTomalin/status/1531193700197572608

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Tesseraction posted:

that's actually just because Hislop doesn't want to breathe in Chinaman cooties

Phil Wang is Malaysian

AHA NOW WHO'S THE RACIST

me because I had to look it up to see if there was a gotcha to be had

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

OwlFancier posted:

I mean if you live somewhere where the ground does not move your entire life, it suddenly starting to do that is probably very disconcerting.

I've had a couple of barely perceptible ones and it is genuinely extremely weird.

Plus depending on where you live, being afraid that british housing stock is going to kill you doesn't need to be limited to when there is an earthquake happening.

Feels safe to live where I do, the earths crust is only thicker in two places in the world, the andes mountains and the himalayas.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Belfast chat: thanks for all the advice.

I like a Botanic garden so will deffo have a look at that. Black cab tour of the murals and whatnot sounds interesting but also a bit insensitive, don't know if I'm overthinking it...

I did think of having a jog round Loch Neagh but I've just checked and it's substantially larger than I thought, but will go and have a look at it anyway.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If you do get to Giants Causeway, you can actually get on to it without having to pass through the museum which is quite expensive - we managed to by pass it.
And the hotel on the corner there helpfully has toilets you can use without having to go in and buy a drink (unless you want to of course!)
There are also special buses up and down the first bit of the Causeway if walking down/up a steep incline is not your thing.

Free if you're a National Trust member though, as is the aforementioned rope bridge at Carrick-a-Rede. Bushmills distillery is conveniently located on the same bit of coast too if you like factory tours and/or whiskey, especially good for fortifying yourself before or after the rope bridge.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

forkboy84 posted:

My local shop has gotten rid of the perspex screen already. And clearly haven't bothered to refill the hand sanitiser for about a month. And local Tesco Extra still has them between the self service checkouts but I don't believe the staffed checkouts have them. Which seems dumb.

Both the perspex screens and the hand sanitiser are basically security theatre anyway when it comes to covid.

Masks are what actually prevents transmission, but of course, they're tyranny, sooo

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Don't sneak on to the causeway without paying, how will they afford to feed the giants if everyone does it?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Maybe if the giants didn't get so many handouts from tourists they'd stop skiving and finish the rest of the causeway. Boris wants a bridge

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

Both the perspex screens and the hand sanitiser are basically security theatre anyway when it comes to covid.

Masks are what actually prevents transmission, but of course, they're tyranny, sooo

I mean hand sanitiser is pretty good.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

forkboy84 posted:

I mean hand sanitiser is pretty good.

In general? Absolutely. If it leads to even one touchscreen in the land not being covered in human feces (yes, really) then all the better..

With regard to covid specifically? Eh. Fomites have never been an important source of transmission.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

In general? Absolutely. If it leads to even one touchscreen in the land not being covered in human feces (yes, really) then all the better...

Yeah, that's what I mean. I want every shop to have hand sanitiser as standard now, to be used before you go in & again when you leave.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's quite hard to argue that you'd prefer people to have unsanitary hands

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Masks are great, I've not had a proper cold since 2019.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Same though that makes me worry when I get one I am going to die of it.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i really hope that shitabout reintroducing imperial units and getting rid of metric is true cause this dumb loving country deserves that king of dumb useless poo poo.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Failed Imagineer posted:

I recommend everyone watch Boiling Point which is a fantastic single-shot film featuring the king Stephen Graham as head chef in a restaurant on an incredibly stressful night. I think it really hammers this point home about how poo poo the service industry is even in a fancyish restaurant, as well as being an accomplishment of a film

+1 that this film is excellent.

Also rather than "even in a fancy restaurant" it seems that fancy restaurants are *especially* poo poo to their staff.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Also rather than "even in a fancy restaurant" it seems that fancy restaurants are *especially* poo poo to their staff.

Yeah probably right, well maybe fastfood and high-end are the worst, but the in-between might be a bit more chill

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Phil Wang is Malaysian

AHA NOW WHO'S THE RACIST

I mean the joke is that Hislop is racist so him getting the nationality wrong would be on brand. Also he's specifically Chinese-Malaysian on his da's side.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Lord of the Llamas posted:

+1 that this film is excellent.

I thought the film was good but not great. I knew pretty much exactly where it was going but it got there fairly well. I am not sure that the one-shot wasn't just a gimmick - I don't know how it necessarily added to the story.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Phil Wang is Malaysian

AHA NOW WHO'S THE RACIST

Malaysian Chinese people exist. :P

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
To avoid this debacle in the future just describe them as from The Orient.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

but his mother is English, making him some kind gentleman that's both Western and Oriental

*types those words into google* oh my

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

Malaysian Chinese people exist. :P
Malayan nationalists disliked this post.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

but his mother is English, making him some kind gentleman that's both Western and Oriental

*types those words into google* oh my

I don't know this slur

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Saw this on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/thetimesscot/status/1531162567623811073?t=s_pBuNN1EUfTFzvaGJDmFg&s=19

"We initially were working of the theory that Rangers might have been bought by Werewolves. So that's why we bought all that silver."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Dabir posted:

I don't know this slur

One of the claims that "wog" wasn't slur because it was "Western Oriented Gentleman" - a term that has never been used seriously and is clearly trying to pretend it isn't more likely to be from gollywog. Which I only bothered to learn today is from golly + pollywog, a pollywog being another name for a tadpole, meaning "wiggly head."

So technically 'wog' means wiggle/wiggly. I guess that does rhyme with the main racial slur those kinds like to use.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

Saw this on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/thetimesscot/status/1531162567623811073?t=s_pBuNN1EUfTFzvaGJDmFg&s=19

"We initially were working of the theory that Rangers might have been bought by Werewolves. So that's why we bought all that silver."

Any taxpayers money used in killing Rangers FC was justifiable. The only shame was they were allowed to start a new club.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

One of the claims that "wog" wasn't slur because
Much like with pāk being Urdu for pure, it doesn't matter where it comes from once ham headed cunts start screaming derivatives at Indian people (and Latin American, East African and Madagascan because racists are often stupid as poo poo) in the street, although I suspect the people making those sort of claims already know that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

therattle posted:

I thought the film was good but not great. I knew pretty much exactly where it was going but it got there fairly well. I am not sure that the one-shot wasn't just a gimmick - I don't know how it necessarily added to the story.

It's the kind of thing that I reflexively assume is going to be gimmicky but for me the form really complemented the content - I was stressed as hell for the whole thing about how they were keeping the whole production going, which is the point. Doesn't have to work for everyone