Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1531601441734942720

He's running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Much like with pāk being Urdu for pure, it doesn't matter where it comes from once ham headed cunts start screaming derivatives at Indian people (and Latin American, East African and Madagascan because racists are often stupid as poo poo) in the street, although I suspect the people making those sort of claims already know that.

I've told this story a few times but one time I was waiting for the bus home after the pub and this guy comes up to me and after some small talk decides I'm solid enough to reveal to me the truth:

"Do you know what the problem is with this country?"

Me: "No what's that?"

"Too many fuckin' Pakis"

Me: "Ah, well I'm a bit biased to comment, being Indian"

and the next uncomfortable few minutes before the bus arrives with him apologising and trying to walk it back

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mate you're looking to be selected as an MP candidate you're not gonna do any of that poo poo lol.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 31, 2022

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Love to get the leaflet from my local MP that says

- fix potholes
- pensioners shuttle bus to the shopping centre
- reaffirm commitment to NATO

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

the sex ghost posted:

- reaffirm commitment to NATO

oh thank god the alliance is saved

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

I've told this story a few times but one time I was waiting for the bus home after the pub and this guy comes up to me and after some small talk decides I'm solid enough to reveal to me the truth:

"Too many fuckin' Pakis"

and the next uncomfortable few minutes before the bus arrives with him apologising and trying to walk it back

It's weird how people seem to walk around desperate to tell people poo poo like that. I had relatives visiting from northern ireland the other day and one of the few actual exchanges I had with them was asking if there's anywhere I might like to visit, I said cascadia would be quite nice to see cos I like big forests and that, which they followed up with by telling me the one time their friend went to canada and got lost looking for their hotel and went to a place where "there were all these rastafarians" but "some white people came and took them to their hotel and said if they had gone there at the wrong time they wouldn't have come out alive" ending with "what do you think of that?"

Like that is the thing you are desperate to tell me, I have not seen you for nearly a decade but you must tell me that your friend saw a black person one time and nearly died. Thanks I guess I will never go to canada lest I also see a black person and die.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Phil Wang is Malaysian

AHA NOW WHO'S THE RACIST

me because I had to look it up to see if there was a gotcha to be had

There's a great bit from an Asian-American comedian (from the "you just insulted my entire culture, but yes" memes) about this. If you see an Asian guy, don't go for the statistically likely guess that they're Chinese. Instead, ask if they're Korean. You'll probably be wrong, but it won't be racist!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Tesseraction posted:

"Too many fuckin' Pakis"

When I worked on the phones in car insurance claims, I had a customer originally from India who had suffered a collision from a couple of teenagers pulling out of a junction on him while he had right of way. He was very insistent that the other drivers would lie about what happened because they were "fuckin' Pakis", and I was subsequently subjected to a five minute long rant about how they were ruining this country and every single one of them was either a rapist or a suicide bomber.

I got a similar but reversed rant about all Indians being drunken thieves from a Pakistani customer.

But I think the one that takes the cake would be the guy who was Second-generation Pakistani who confidently told me that back over in Pakistan most people wish they could have the British back. Now this guy's been to Pakistan (at least so he tells me) and I haven't, but I found myself rather skeptical of that one.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I'm terribly broken because I started reading this and then got to "Repeal The Trade Union Act" & could only think "yeah, that'd be nice"

Ultimate funny scenario is Paul tries to run but Keef pushes for some anonymous SpAd with no dangerous notions like that to be parachuted into the constituency, and yet Paul remains a Keefy believer.

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields
In my experience Australians in airports are ground-zero for 'this guy is white so he, like me, will enjoy a racist conversation' moments.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

forkboy84 posted:

I'm terribly broken because I started reading this and then got to "Repeal The Trade Union Act" & could only think "yeah, that'd be nice"

Ultimate funny scenario is Paul tries to run but Keef pushes for some anonymous SpAd with no dangerous notions like that to be parachuted into the constituency, and yet Paul remains a Keefy believer.

Yeah, there's no way he's getting the nomination with opinions like that: I saw no references whatsoever to the need for making Tough Decisions, or Balancing the Books, nor does he specifically refute the concept of the Magic Money Tree, like any good candidate should.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

First of all 'family of weavers and miners going back generations' is giving off extremely 'working class pizza restaurant owner from lee' vibes, i.e. your dad owned a business where he employed working class people but he had a bit of an accent.

Secondly, universal credit is poo poo right now, but abolish it? And replace it with what? And how will your version be any better? The concept of UC (a streamlined single point application process for welfare) could actually be a good thing if you abolished sanctions and investigations, and spent that money hiring enough admin staff to get processing times down.

Thirdly amd most importantly, gently caress oooOOOFFF

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm sure I've said it before but I can't read Paul Mason's name and not think about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFevH5vP32s

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

There's a great bit from an Asian-American comedian (from the "you just insulted my entire culture, but yes" memes) about this. If you see an Asian guy, don't go for the statistically likely guess that they're Chinese. Instead, ask if they're Korean. You'll probably be wrong, but it won't be racist!

Oh well in my case I know that Wang isn't a Korean or Japanese surname so he was likely of Chinese heritage of some kind. If he was Phil Hwang then I'd have thought differently.

Also again, in a joke about a man being racist, that person theoretically misidentifying the ethnicity is an additional layer.

OwlFancier posted:

Like that is the thing you are desperate to tell me, I have not seen you for nearly a decade but you must tell me that your friend saw a black person one time and nearly died. Thanks I guess I will never go to canada lest I also see a black person and die.

lmao did they actually say rastafarians?

Reveilled posted:

But I think the one that takes the cake would be the guy who was Second-generation Pakistani who confidently told me that back over in Pakistan most people wish they could have the British back. Now this guy's been to Pakistan (at least so he tells me) and I haven't, but I found myself rather skeptical of that one.

Yeah somehow I don't think that's true. Do love the usual Indian-Pakistani racism olympics, though. Too busy making GBS threads on each other to remember to hate the Brits who booted them in the face for so long.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Tesseraction posted:

One of the claims that "wog" wasn't slur because it was "Western Oriented Gentleman" - a term that has never been used seriously and is clearly trying to pretend it isn't more likely to be from gollywog. Which I only bothered to learn today is from golly + pollywog, a pollywog being another name for a tadpole, meaning "wiggly head."

So technically 'wog' means wiggle/wiggly. I guess that does rhyme with the main racial slur those kinds like to use.

Now I feel bad that whenever I am playing with my dog, I call her "a doggy woggy wog". (Since it rhymes)

Guess I'll have to file it under the "problematic things" folder.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Not the worst thing anyone called a dog.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ah it's fine, in this case it's referring to the wagging of the tail (and also a rhyme).

You cannot be racist against a dog.

Unless you call it Didier Dogba.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

One of the claims that "wog" wasn't slur because it was "Western Oriented Gentleman" - a term that has never been used seriously and is clearly trying to pretend it isn't more likely to be from gollywog. Which I only bothered to learn today is from golly + pollywog, a pollywog being another name for a tadpole, meaning "wiggly head."

So technically 'wog' means wiggle/wiggly. I guess that does rhyme with the main racial slur those kinds like to use.

The Wiggles, deeply problematic

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Speaking of problematic yesterday I laughed so hard the next thing I knew I was on the floor with bruised elbow and knee, so if I stop posting in the near future please mourn that I Chrysippused myself.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

Ah yes, the unamed dog from The Dam Busters!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Guavanaut posted:

H. P Lovecrafts cat is the worst one I believe.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Lol gutted I no longer live in Stretford

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1531293463890862085

The replies are excellent.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
If they take Stonehenge to Russia then they can finally build that tunnel, or not bother with a tunnel really. And think of the savings in your heritage budget!

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
What the hell is Russia's obsession with Wiltshire? Did someone sell all the Kremlin's maps of the UK except an old OS NPE One Inch of Salisbury Plain? Are all their intelligence officers operating out of Ted Heath's old house? Is it because it has something resembling steppeland and it's full of rusty old tanks?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

If they check their receipts, there's every chance that Russia has already purchased Stonehenge along with everything else.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I've told this story before I'm, sure, but when I used to play cricket for my local village team, we used to play against a team called the Wisbech Old Grammarians.

Yes.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'll focus on the policies Keir Starmer fought for in his leadership campaign (and subsequently abandoned for convenience while also stating he'd promise anything to get into power)

Great pitch!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

lmao did they actually say rastafarians?

Literally yes, so I was just imagining a load of old dudes in rainbow hats just chilling out and these nothern irelanders just absolutely quaking in terror.

One of the nice things about living up north is that you really learn to be more terrified of skinny white dudes with their trackies tucked into their socks than anyone else.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 31, 2022

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Today in the pharmacy the woman in front of me was buying some off the shelf medication for her child and when she paid she was charged £6.89 and as she paid pointed to the shelf where she said "I thought it was £4.19" and ended up getting the £2.70 refunded and as the pharmacist handed over she kinda sheepishly added "sorry, it's just that times are tough at the moment"

Another reminder to me of how much people are struggling at the moment.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I thought you meant the pharmacist said that times are tough and was trying to gouge extra profit. I was fully readying my :stare: face

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

No the pharmacist was just pissing me off by moving SLOWER THAN A SNAIL while I was boiling at the non-air-con part of the shop (the air con is in the back for the DRUGS)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Tbh I'd be kicking off for that 40% refund even if times weren't tough

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah gently caress that, the price is the price

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Just had a nasty thought this morning, if the £400 heating thing is going to come directly off our bills, how does this work for people on metred electricity? Do their accounts get topped up with £400 credit, or do they just not get it?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Theoretically yes, every account gets its balance shifted by £400

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Just had a nasty thought this morning, if the £400 heating thing is going to come directly off our bills, how does this work for people on metred electricity? Do their accounts get topped up with £400 credit, or do they just not get it?

A news article said it would either be vouchers or applied to the meter automatically.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lol

https://twitter.com/MitchellCMM/status/1531672560361951232

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

I can't keep up. Is Mason weteggs or no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jeherrin posted:

I can't keep up. Is Mason weteggs or no?

he resigned after Corbyn became leader so he could post in favour of Corbyn without being CONSTRAINED

but also has a habit of posting "I'd like to see capitalism wiggle its way out of this one *capitalism wiggles its way out easily* ah, well, nevertheless"