Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
you already see some fiercely competitive hunter-gatherer instincts kicking in around the Whoops! section in my experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Borrovan posted:

Can anyone point me towards any concrete examples of the EHRA definition of antisemitism being a big pile of poo poo used to suppress left wing free speech/criticism of Israel (apart from the obvious), ideally with sources, or criticism of it by Jewish groups, that sort of thing? Need it for a thing

I haven't read through this but might be a starting point:

https://jewishvoiceforpeace.org/2018/07/first-ever-40-jewish-groups-worldwide-oppose-equating-antisemitism-with-criticism-of-israel/

If you're on facebook, these are a good follow and might have something you can use:

https://www.facebook.com/IJVcanada

(Note I'm not using Jewish Voice for Labour - not because they're not good but because so many people automatically dismiss them as a pro-Corbyn, 'wrong kind of Jew' group so your audience may already have a bad image of them.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 1, 2022

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I'm not even sure if living off yellow stickered food is a genuine economy anyway. If you're a poor family and both parents are working full time you'd need a chest freezer and be reasonably lucky if you wanted to ensure a varied diet out of one or two weekly shops. The freezer isn't free and while cheap, it's also not free to run.

Like, I've come home with 20 massive yorkshire puddings that were 10p for four. That's great if you do a roast once a week and can freeze them in the meantime but pretty useless if all you have is the freezer box in a split fridge freezer.

I had a lot of fun with those yorkshire puds mind you. Fajitas using them instead of tortillas were great.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I welcome the refugees but they don't go far enough

Thread title to be honest.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

LMFAO I just got an Apple News notification on my phone from the Telegraph:

"Tube Chaos: How 'Putin Apologists' brought London to a standstill"

Just looked it up on the website and it has the subheading:

quote:

We ask: Just how close is the RMT union to Putin's Russia

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What would you call a cross between a fajita and a Yorkshire pud anyway? Every name I can think of sounds terrible from a marketing perspective.

Although I guess forkshitas would reliably end up in the reduced section.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Greg literally says in his excellent report that he spent more on useless yellow sticker food than he would normally.

It's a bollock to the face when you inspect the sticker and it's like 2.25 down to 1.97.

I'm only interested these days of it's double or triple yellow stickered

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I've definitely had Yorkshire pudding wraps somewhere

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Bollock to the face might work for meatballs in a Yorkshire pudding.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

WhatEvil posted:

If the food can be sold to people at that price, why do they have to wait til it has a short date to have it?

Its often sold at a loss. The loss being less than throwing it though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So if everyone bought yellow sticker food, like certain brainlords think, all the shops would fail, putting it up there with that lib dem peer who suggested everyone forage for berries.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

StarkingBarfish posted:

I'm not even sure if living off yellow stickered food is a genuine economy anyway.

Branded yellow sticker foods are still more expensive than store-brand. Some of the reductions are only a few pence so would barely make a difference to the overall price of a basket of food. You would be better off buying the food at full price and not risk it all going off immediately.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I've definitely had Yorkshire pudding wraps somewhere

Surely that's just a crepe?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Surely that's just a crepe?

No need to get personal

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Guavanaut posted:

So if everyone bought yellow sticker food, like certain brainlords think, all the shops would fail, putting it up there with that lib dem peer who suggested everyone forage for berries.

Yeah this is what I was getting at. It's literally impossible for all of the people living in poverty in the UK to do it without all of the supermarkets (and many food producers presumably) going bust.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Thanks Jaeluni, knew you'd have something useful :)

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
This is a good resignation letter

https://twitter.com/Soph__wilson/status/1498736841524228097

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

What would you call a cross between a fajita and a Yorkshire pud anyway? Every name I can think of sounds terrible from a marketing perspective.

Toad in the hole.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Shame high proof alcohol doesn't get yellow stickered, could have made a decent last-ditch molotov.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Minimum pricing laws iirc?

Also risks starting a perpetual motion machine of people getting shitfaced on the cut price booze and then turning up to fight for more of it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Toad in the hole.
That sounds even more unpleasant than Forkshite Putins.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

OwlFancier posted:

Toad in the hole.

this is one of my favourite examples of us/uk english divergence; in the us, this is a toad in the hole

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

mediaphage posted:

this is one of my favourite examples of us/uk english divergence; in the us, this is a toad in the hole

It's violence is what it is.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

It's violence is what it is.

it's just egg on toast where someone's stolen most of the toast.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The texture at the edge of the bread is giving me unpleasant thoughts.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Not outside of Scotland afaik?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

feedmegin posted:

Not outside of Scotland afaik?

That's what I wondered too but I'm sure someone once mentioned to me that they can't mark it down too much. Might not be a law, perhaps a policy instead?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I don't know why anyone bothers with the faff of cutting the hole in the bread. Get a nice slice of sourdough, beat 2 eggs, add salt, dip bread, chuck in pan, pour rest of egg on top, grate a lil cheese on. :yum:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

If NATO did try to enforce a no fly zone over Ukraine and Russia shot down one of their planes in retaliation but didn't formally declare war or move the ground operation beyond Ukraine, would that count as a sufficient act of aggression for the necessitate full Western intervention?

Ukraine is not a NATO member so the aggression would be the presumably (trying to) shoot down a Russian plane outside of NATO territory first. That's what a no fly zone is.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

in fairness thats a poo poo example, i just couldnt be bothered finding a better one. i wouldn't want the bread dipped in egg personally, a good toad in the hole is made by frying the bread in the pan in loads of butter along with the egg, with the middle part fried alongside and getting extra crispy and buttery. one of my favourite things as a kid

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ijyt posted:

Shame high proof alcohol doesn't get yellow stickered, could have made a decent last-ditch molotov.

Despite what The Young Ones told us, vodka doesn't actually make a viable molotov - 40%abv alcohol burns cool (the water evaporating with the alcohol takes the heat away pretty effectively) and quickly, so the heat just doesn't transfer to the thing you're lobbing it at. Don't take this as license to just coat yourself with it and set light to yourself though, although I suppose Richard Pryor got a couple of good minutes of standup out of it.

Also if you're at the point you're making molotovs, price isn't your issue, surely?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Also risks starting a perpetual motion machine of people getting shitfaced on the cut price booze and then turning up to fight for more of it.

this is the content I'd pay a tv license for

e: ^ okay but what about everclear

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

mediaphage posted:

That's an "eggy window"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

the eggerton window

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

sebzilla posted:

That's an "eggy window"
only for one. if you have two, they're "granny's eyes"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

CGI Stardust posted:

only for one. if you have two, they're "granny's eyes"

oh the better to see you with my dear

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Borrovan posted:

Can anyone point me towards any concrete examples of the EHRA definition of antisemitism being a big pile of poo poo used to suppress left wing free speech/criticism of Israel (apart from the obvious), ideally with sources, or criticism of it by Jewish groups, that sort of thing? Need it for a thing

https://rebellion602.wordpress.com/2022/02/21/reaching-the-tipping-point/

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Despite what The Young Ones told us, vodka doesn't actually make a viable molotov - 40%abv alcohol burns cool (the water evaporating with the alcohol takes the heat away pretty effectively) and quickly, so the heat just doesn't transfer to the thing you're lobbing it at. Don't take this as license to just coat yourself with it and set light to yourself though, although I suppose Richard Pryor got a couple of good minutes of standup out of it.

Also if you're at the point you're making molotovs, price isn't your issue, surely?

What about Wray and Nephew rum as readily if expensively available in East London? :shobon:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

feedmegin posted:

Ukraine is not a NATO member so the aggression would be the presumably (trying to) shoot down a Russian plane outside of NATO territory first. That's what a no fly zone is.

I know Ukraine isn't NATO, my question was if the Russians shot down a NATO plane in Ukrainian airspace after they established a no fly zone, would that would be considered an act of aggression warranting every member to declare war on Russia, or does that require an actual threat to a member state's own territory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

I know Ukraine isn't NATO, my question was if the Russians shot down a NATO plane in Ukrainian airspace after they established a no fly zone, would that would be considered an act of aggression warranting every member to declare war on Russia, or does that require an actual threat to a member state's own territory?

As i say, the impetus here would be NATO acting first because a no fly zone means nothing without enforcing it, in which case the Russians are defending themselves. You can't rules lawyer this into a NATO defensive act and NATO is a defensive alliance.