Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like that presumes that the format itself does not inherently favour their argumentation style, and by adopting it you are only encouraging their way of thinking.

It's basically just boxing with words, and carries just as much ability to determine who is right about an issue. When combined with the normal internet celebrity parasociality I would suggest that it is inherently useless and there's probably a reason all the debate superstars are weirdos who come out with stupid poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I do think that kind of devils advocating is a really stupid way to argue. He could have just said "but by your logic if the Jews did control the banks the Nazis would have been right" and actually made his loving point explicit. Instead he keeps taking these dumbass positions to try and bait his opponent. It's part of the debate bro culture where precision and clarity take second billing to making your opponent look stupid.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The whole line of thought is just aggressively bad.

Even if everyone in Weimar Germany who owned a bank happened to be Jewish, that doesn't mean anything for a tailor in Lemberg or a greengrocer in Warsaw or any of the other millions of Jews targeted by Nazism.

Once you start going on about 'the Jews' as some sort of clade of people who have a joint agency over events, you're either making an antisemitic statement by definition or you're trying to bait someone else into doing so. Either way it does not deserve a response.

Basically

Kokoro Wish posted:

The guy was right to leave because you do not, ever, entertain these lines of argument with validity.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Not So Fast posted:

anarcho-Bidenist
powerfully cursed

E: everyone in the commune is an analyst slapping food out of each others mouths

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 30, 2022

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I get a guilty pleasure out of reading/listening to the 'eyewitness accounts' of people who experience earthquakes in the UK.

They're all so frantically alarmed by the magnitude 3.8 megaquake that it's almost astonishing that they can live day-to-day without dying from the effects of everyday mishaps.

quote:

"I knew straight away what it was, I was just like, get downstairs and get out."

"It shocked me," she said. "My legs went to jelly."

It's not the loving San Andreas Fault, you moron, it's loving Shropshire.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean if you live somewhere where the ground does not move your entire life, it suddenly starting to do that is probably very disconcerting.

I've had a couple of barely perceptible ones and it is genuinely extremely weird.

Plus depending on where you live, being afraid that british housing stock is going to kill you doesn't need to be limited to when there is an earthquake happening.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 30, 2022

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

kingturnip posted:

I get a guilty pleasure out of reading/listening to the 'eyewitness accounts' of people who experience earthquakes in the UK.

They're all so frantically alarmed by the magnitude 3.8 megaquake that it's almost astonishing that they can live day-to-day without dying from the effects of everyday mishaps.

It's not the loving San Andreas Fault, you moron, it's loving Shropshire.

I got hit by that! Genuinely thought a lorry had hit the wall next to the house, then forgot about it after I looked to check until I saw local social media going loving nuts.

Tbf there were quite a few toppled garden chairs being irony-posted as ‘carnage’, so well done Market Drayton.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

powerfully cursed

E: everyone in the commune is an analyst slapping food out of each others mouths

It's a joke based on his opposition to people who went "well Bernie lost the primary so I'm not going to vote at all to teach those dumbocrats a lesson"

Kokoro Wish posted:

For anyone even willing to experience it, here's the argument timestamped with dead air edited out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z3MqJakNbI&t=2114s

The guy was right to leave because you do not, ever, entertain these lines of argument with validity.

This video is a trainwreck of misrepresentation and straight up false claims. Weird that you'd link that instead of, like, the actual original source. Which is here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lR1FdFefcA&t=3735s
Timestamped to what sounds to me like a pretty reasonable explanation of how you can decide that the Holocaust was wrong without knowing whether the Nazis were telling the truth or not. You can listen to the rest if you want to lose brain cells from being subjected to "hypotheticals are idealism, dialectical materialism is when you know things, false consciousness is when you're wrong".

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The main argument on restaurants I saw is that sit-down, table-service restaurants (as opposed to, say, food stalls and cafeterias) are only an economically viable business model for mass consumption (as opposed to an extreme and unusual luxury) thanks to colossal labour exploitation, and the same may apply to other service-economy luxuries that we presently take for granted. I'm prepared to accept that the people who are familiar with the industry and have done the relevant maths might know what they're talking about on that one. Some industries have exploitation baked in to the point where they're unreformable - see also, tuna fishing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Other than for hygiene reasons I'm not really a fan of table service anyway, it's weird. I get that you should have someone move the food from the kitchen so we're not all wandering in, but the actual service part should be kept to a mininmum IMO. And you should clear your own table as well.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I like restaurants and eating out in nice restaurants. Always leave a tip.

Cancel me for this if you must.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I went to a wetherspoons a week ago in Meadowhall for the first time in nearly 20 years as colleagues were going for lunch and was mildly freaked out that its basically a mcdonalds with a gammon pub attached. The food was actually much worse than Mcdonalds but far more expensive. Very odd experience.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

The main argument on restaurants I saw is that sit-down, table-service restaurants (as opposed to, say, food stalls and cafeterias) are only an economically viable business model for mass consumption (as opposed to an extreme and unusual luxury) thanks to colossal labour exploitation, and the same may apply to other service-economy luxuries that we presently take for granted. I'm prepared to accept that the people who are familiar with the industry and have done the relevant maths might know what they're talking about on that one. Some industries have exploitation baked in to the point where they're unreformable - see also, tuna fishing.

I recommend everyone watch Boiling Point which is a fantastic single-shot film featuring the king Stephen Graham as head chef in a restaurant on an incredibly stressful night. I think it really hammers this point home about how poo poo the service industry is even in a fancyish restaurant, as well as being an accomplishment of a film

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

I like restaurants and eating out in nice restaurants. Always leave a tip.

Cancel me for this if you must.

I think the argument is that a movement towards global income equality and workers' rights would naturally see most of them go out of business as their profit model collapses, leaving the few that remain as expensive luxuries with huge waiting lists. So, you can go to one if you want, but you'd have to really want it.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Restaurants?

nationalised

the food industry does display a great many problems inherent to capitalism but that's down to capitalism not the idea of preparing food for others

In two jobs I have done it was a significant part of my job to cook and provide food for people and I loving loved preparing and cooking stuff and seeing folk chow down

Also, I may be misremembering but wasn't that libcom twitter account pointed out as a bit suspect for some reason or other?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I just want a small pile of gnocchi drizzled with a lemon emulsion, and an roasted artichoke with some truffle foam. The woke left want to take this from us.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

OwlFancier posted:

Other than for hygiene reasons I'm not really a fan of table service anyway, it's weird. I get that you should have someone move the food from the kitchen so we're not all wandering in, but the actual service part should be kept to a mininmum IMO. And you should clear your own table as well.

Heavy same, it weirds me out being waited on, and I always scrape and stack afterwards, while feeling mildly embarrassed about the whole thing.

I do really enjoy other peoples' cooking though

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh yeah I'm a terrible cook and there's a bunch of stuff that I would like to eat but which it is not economical for me to make or get, just that the cafe with the dish rack for you to put your tray into when you're done is basically the ideal food service environment.

Also I loving love stew so give me the communal stew I will eat it all if you don't want it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I went to a really nice cinema with a little restaurant out the front just yesterday, and I was really uncomfortable with how much they wanted to do for me, bringing it to my table when it was right there, taking the stuff away, all that. I'm much more at home in somewhere like a burger king where the guy's behind the counter, they shout you out when it's ready, come get it and take it where you like. Serve me the food, don't serve me

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Restaurants are great. Food is great. Everyone should get to taste food they'd never be able to make at home.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Like, mutual food preparation seems to have been part of human society and bonding since literally forever. Cooking for each other, eating together, all that good poo poo is great and genuinely really important.

It's a shame we commodified it just like we did literally every other element of human interaction

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think there are some good positives to certain restaurants, it's a good time instead of just sitting in my goon hovel slurping huel, and while it's of course problematic to reduce any people to their takeaways they have worked well for integrating cultures and populations in a way that isn't over-assimilationist. Everyone likes tasty food, most people like interesting cultural experiences that don't need a plane ticket. Narborough Road in Leicester is a good example of that, from fancy sit down charcoal grill dining to Hassan's Pizza where a guy thought tandoori would go well on a pizza and enough people agreed.

There are serious problems but as always

DesperateDan posted:

that's down to capitalism not the idea of preparing food for others
and a lot of those could be solved without getting in the way of people who want to dine in a certain way or had a sudden idea of bro, what if we put curry in a burrito, bro seriously.

There are definitely certain types of chain restaurant and Jamie Oliver that can get in the sea tho.

OwlFancier posted:

Also I loving love stew so give me the communal stew I will eat it all if you don't want it.
That doesn't sound very communal. Maybe you'd be better with a Perpetual Stew :yum:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It me, I am the guy who generates infinite demand for free goods but specifically only for stew.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Best eating I've ever done was a mosque kitchen. Those guys had it right. Only a couple of options, queue at the buffet while a bunch of folks behind it are stirring a bathtub full of boiling rice and spices. Imam wandering around chatting to folks and joking with the kids. Cost next to nothing, was always cheerful and was packed out every lunchtime.

Same is true of a buddhist-run place I used to visit, they're genuninely happy to be serving you good food.

It's the simple, friendly places where the staff are clearly enjoying themselves that I'd go for every time. I don't particularly enjoy being 'served' food by someone who is doing it because they have to, and I don't think under capitalism there's much room for the alternative above, but plenty under a more equitable system.

E: I guess that's the point, really. If people are relaxed enough to be chatting and joking while doing food prep, or are having a natter with a regular, or have a small enough turnover to not be constantly hovering over tables to prep them for the next set of 'guests' that's a loss of potential revenue that cannot be tolerated by capitalism.

StarkingBarfish fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 30, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Once when I was really skint as a student, I went along to the Hari Krishna place in Soho Street (NOT the Hare Kirshna restaurant that used to be in that little street between Oxford St & Tottenham Court Rd!). There is/was a hare krishna temple over Govinda's. After listening to the 'service' (for want of a better word), got served up with whatever donations they had received that day - coleslaw and chocolate cake.

If you do find yourself in London, I do recommend Govindas. Vegetarian/vegan, reasonable prices. In Soho Street off Oxford Circus. But do check opening times!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
There's a Govindas HK place in Dublin, all I know is that their paneer gave me the worst hot farts of my entire life, never again

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1531327841039798272

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i was once accosted in belfast by a very enthusiastic tourist from pakistan and he pointed to the city hall and asked me "the president lives here?", and i thought about telling him that no it's just an administrative building for the city but i actually preferred his idea so i just said "yes"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Fuckkkk. Wonder how much if that is gonna come from the large civil service in NI

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Hopefully they'll forget that NI exists again for a while rather than remembering that it exists and cost money and is full of people who aren't English and don't vote for tories.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I often go past the Home Office building in Liverpool on the way to work, with its round the clock queues down the street of people trying to get their passports renewed, and think that there are just too many civil servants

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Although in the interests of balance, as someone who had to trek up to Newcastle for a fast stream interview, sat in a room of PPE graduates all a decade younger than me, one of whom's dad worked in the cabinet office, and got my rejection email before I'd even left the building, Boris isnt going far enough

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

crispix posted:

i was once accosted in belfast by a very enthusiastic tourist from pakistan and he pointed to the city hall and asked me "the president lives here?", and i thought about telling him that no it's just an administrative building for the city but i actually preferred his idea so i just said "yes"

I had a few hours to kill in Belfast in 2019 and spent a couple of hours looking at the exhibition in City hall. Quite interesting IIRC.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Deeply cursed to wander in here to see the Vaush vs. NonCompete vs. Noah Samsen debate brought up.

Of the three I think NonCompete fell off hardest given he's an apologist for genocide in Vietnam. Samsen is a decent editor but not great at forming proper arguments and often relies on well-poisoning and selective quotations. Vaush has done things that would have him arrested if he stood by them today and, of course, is the reason there's a meme about keeping a "tactical n word" on hand.

In short only watch Some More News.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

DesperateDan posted:

Restaurants?

nationalised

Also, I may be misremembering but wasn't that libcom twitter account pointed out as a bit suspect for some reason or other?

Yep, by me. Not sure of the status of it now but I seem to remember the guy leaving, tho think they still hang out. I won’t go into details but he was credibly accused by multiple women of abuse. Make of it what you will.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I had a few hours to kill in Belfast in 2019 and spent a couple of hours looking at the exhibition in City hall. Quite interesting IIRC.

i've always thought it really is too grand a building to be the city hall of belfast - the city to hall grandeur is very askew. i think something like preston bus station would be a better city hall for belfast, personally

could do with that car parking, for one thing

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
I've just booked flights to Belfast in June. Been meaning to go for years. Where's good and is there anywhere I absolutely should not go?

Being on this website obviously I'm of a certain age and just associate Belfast with bombs, kneecappings, and gruff men being interviewed in shadow. I'm sure there's more to it than that though.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

flegs

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm sure you can still find a pub for that kind of thing if you want. :v:

Jakabite posted:

I won’t go into details but he was credibly accused by multiple women of abuse. Make of it what you will.
Erica Lagalisse has written a lot about a certain type of bro who is all over "police use power to abuse members of the public" but when someone makes a similar statement about men and women they get all "but what about the false accusations, the systems of power love to falsely accuse true hero leaders of the revolution" and it's a big enough red flag to vanguard a revolution by itself when you look at historical data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
the linen hall library is lovely, and all the nicer for being close enough to city hall for it to be an embarassment to them. The ulster folk and transport museum used to be really good, dunno about now. The botanic gardens is really nice- check out the tropical ravine in particular as a good example of victorian design, and the museum (proper, not the folk and transport one) is on the same grounds and has a really well balanced exhibit on the history of the troubles.

St. George's market used to be a proper market with random stalls but since it got renovated it might have gone a bit hipster.

Cave hill is a nice walk if the weather is good- nice views of the city from napoleon's nose.

Areas to avoid: Not really anywhere. If you're a tourist people tend to be quite welcoming. You can do black taxi tours of some of the more interesting troubles hotspots and if you get an older driver they tend to give a good albeit biased personal history.