Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mediaphage posted:

in fairness thats a poo poo example, i just couldnt be bothered finding a better one. i wouldn't want the bread dipped in egg personally, a good toad in the hole is made by frying the bread in the pan in loads of butter along with the egg, with the middle part fried alongside and getting extra crispy and buttery. one of my favourite things as a kid

Same. In South Africa that’s also toad in the hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
this is all pointless, but shooting a plane down over a country that isn't you isn't defence.

and toad in the hole is sausage in yorkshire, any attempts to deny this will be met with force as yet unseen or imaginable.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 1, 2022

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

ThomasPaine posted:

I know Ukraine isn't NATO, my question was if the Russians shot down a NATO plane in Ukrainian airspace after they established a no fly zone, would that would be considered an act of aggression warranting every member to declare war on Russia, or does that require an actual threat to a member state's own territory?

Here's how that would probably play out:

- russia would deny it
- NATO would say "no you definitely shot our plane down and we're not happy. here's all the evidence"
- russia would, eventually, say it happened but it was an accident, the pilot disobeyed orders or a weapons malfunction happened or sommat. typical soviet blame game stuff
- NATO would be all "well! we're going to write a sternly worded letter about it" (maybe sanctions would follow but I don't think NATO provides process for that)
- it would probably be forgotten because neither side wants to risk escalating it into, y'know

e: it's my understanding that if a NATO country is attacked, they can invoke article 5, and it's important to note that article 5 doesn't say "ok everyone declare war on the soviets/russia now", it says

quote:

The Parties agree that an armed attack against one or more of them in Europe or North America shall be considered an attack against them all and consequently they agree that, if such an armed attack occurs, each of them, in exercise of the right of individual or collective self-defence recognised by Article 51 of the Charter of the United Nations, will assist the Party or Parties so attacked by taking forthwith, individually and in concert with the other Parties, such action as it deems necessary, including the use of armed force, to restore and maintain the security of the North Atlantic area.

this "action" could be anything really.

Suffice to say though, if a NATO country were attacked with nuclear weapons by russia, the nuclear powers in NATO would be very much "ohhhh shiiiiiiit" and they might, if they expect further attacks, launch a pre-emptive strike to destroy as much of the russian nuclear arsenal as possible before it can be used. However they might not! Because both sides are perfectly capable of destroying each other, they might, *might* choose to sit and wait (while sweating buckets) just to see if the nuclear attack stops there and then. What kind of world we would live in after such an event though is beyond comprehension

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 1, 2022

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Pro-click.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

mediaphage posted:

this is one of my favourite examples of us/uk english divergence; in the us, this is a toad in the hole

We always called those a 'Texas one eye'.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

- russia would deny it
- NATO would say "no you definitely shot our plane down and we're not happy. here's all the evidence"
- russia would, eventually, say it happened but it was an accident, the pilot disobeyed orders or a weapons malfunction happened or sommat. typical soviet blame game stuff
- NATO would be all "well! we're going to write a sternly worded letter about it" (maybe sanctions would follow but I don't think NATO provides process for that)
- it would probably be forgotten because neither side wants to risk escalating it into, y'know

All of which is why no-one outside of FBPE twitter wants to try it in the first place. Russia is not Iraq.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

- russia would deny it

where does the invasion of ukraine fit in this list though? Like I guess you're suggesting at the top? But I think it changes things a bit

like step 4 is already bollocks

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
occasionally theyre also called a bird in the nest which at least makes thematic sense

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

where does the invasion of ukraine fit in this list though? Like I guess you're suggesting at the top? But I think it changes things a bit

I don't think it would matter where the NATO plane was; I expect it would probably play out like that regardless. If the plane were in a NATO country's airspace then there would definitely be a big problem brewing there, but I'm certain NATO would give some breathing room for russia to notice what they've done and give them chance to say "oh yeah we hosed up sorry sorry" rather than everyone rushing to open their special briefcases

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

mediaphage posted:

this is one of my favourite examples of us/uk english divergence; in the us, this is a toad in the hole

That's a runny bunny.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean they're already shooting at random countries' boats and nobody really gives a poo poo.

E: is this going to turn into another loving hoddy doddy bishy barnabee thing?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I don't think it would matter where the NATO plane was; I expect it would probably play out like that regardless. If the plane were in a NATO country's airspace then there would definitely be a big problem brewing there, but I'm certain NATO would give some breathing room for russia to notice what they've done and give them chance to say "oh yeah we hosed up sorry sorry" rather than everyone rushing to open their special briefcases

i think the hypothetical was a lot more particular no? Like if NATO no flyed ukraine tomorrow and a plane was shot down? But whatever its all just crazy mad max hypotheticals

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
^^ yes, and I was responding to that hypothetical (of Russia shooting down a NATO plane over Ukraine)

I'm speculating here (goddamntwisto has surely read more books on nuclear strategy than me) but, while there was a time when one side could potentially 'win' a nuclear war, that time is long over, both NATO and Russia have formidable retaliatory strike capabilities and enough nukes to completely destroy each other. Despite the bluster I would expect both sides to take their time over any given dangerous event and let more informaiton come out. I'd go so far as to say that even if several nuclear detonations happened somewhere, people would hold back and see it was an accident before going full strangelove

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

counterpoint

liz truss versus an apparently now deranged, dying putin

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

as i understand it, a no fly zone does not just mean the enemy planes can’t fly in the designated region, but absolutely anything which can threaten your planes are a viable target

so nato would have to bomb all antiaircraft equipment, ammo dumps, comms etc etc

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

in the sovereign nation of ukraine which would be inviting them to do so

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mediaphage posted:

this is one of my favourite examples of us/uk english divergence

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i think the custard creams would actually probably be ok

like someone agrees with me they ate half of one

oh some weirdo bit the bourbon too

never mind

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 1, 2022

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

What about Wray and Nephew rum as readily if expensively available in East London? :shobon:

Funny you should mention that, because overproof rum (I *think* Bacardi 151) is what Pryor used. But again, if price is the issue there are literally hundreds of litres of much more suitable material sitting in metal boxes protected by nothing more than a thin metal catch on the street outside your house.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1498748196113297409

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

We always called those a 'Texas one eye'.

Which is very offensive to those of us who know that as a sexual activity.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Funny you should mention that, because overproof rum (I *think* Bacardi 151) is what Pryor used. But again, if price is the issue there are literally hundreds of litres of much more suitable material sitting in metal boxes protected by nothing more than a thin metal catch on the street outside your house.

I don't know if you should drink the internet out of the internet box.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's what happened to Dom Cummings.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

theres noone here not knee deep in internet

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

What is it with the urge to find a lifehack for Molotov cocktails?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

^^ yes, and I was responding to that hypothetical (of Russia shooting down a NATO plane over Ukraine)

I'm speculating here (goddamntwisto has surely read more books on nuclear strategy than me) but, while there was a time when one side could potentially 'win' a nuclear war, that time is long over, both NATO and Russia have formidable retaliatory strike capabilities and enough nukes to completely destroy each other. Despite the bluster I would expect both sides to take their time over any given dangerous event and let more informaiton come out. I'd go so far as to say that even if several nuclear detonations happened somewhere, people would hold back and see it was an accident before going full strangelove

Whisper it, but a nuclear war is probably much *more* "winnable" than during the Cold War. Delivery systems are much more accurate and far, far, far more survivable, command and control networks much more vulnerable, and in fact although you're right that instant retaliation is much less likely than it would have been if poo poo had gone more sideways in 62 or 83 this probably makes things far more dangerous because it makes the Buck Turgidsons on both sides think an outright coup de main attack could actually work, with "limited" losses - maybe only the dozens of millions.

This, and the deeply scary fact that we have people in positions of power (including in the loving NEC) that somehow seem to think that a "limited" use for nukes exists, IMO puts us at *greater* risk of annihilation than we were when Threads was transmitted. MAD was, well, mad but it was at least an easily-grasped and very convincing reason not to push things too hard. It's when people start talking about how it actually means there's no risk at all of nuclear war (and so let's really take the piss) that we start talking about seconds instead of minutes to midnight.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Please tag that nws and nms

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

notaspy posted:

Please tag that nws and nms

What do those stand for again? I've forgotten.
I mean the letters not the biscuits and gravy with which photo I tease my American friends repeatedly.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What do those stand for again? I've forgotten.
I mean the letters not the biscuits and gravy with which photo I tease my American friends repeatedly.

Not work safe
Not mind safe

I think I’ll have nightmares after seeing that biscuits picture

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

not work safe and not mind safe (or as I keep parsing it, "NO MAS")

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i can't even fathom what this is supposed to be

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

mediaphage posted:

biscuits and gravy

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mediaphage posted:

wait, your gravy is clear????

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean, it's varying levels of translucent depending on how it's made. Oftentimes it is mostly opaque.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

oh this is probably like a starch thickened bisto isnt it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i got the biscuits but honestly it looks like someone just poured a bunch of maple syrup on it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That specific one looks like bisto instant yes.

American biscuits and gravy for contrast looks like coleslaw on a scone.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

you start to think putin's in the right dont you

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

this has been some of the most intensely bizarre food chat I've ever seen in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

you start to think putin's in the right dont you
Their gravy looks like stew that has been sieved. Except the mushroom gravy, but that is also claimed by Ukraine.

Pelmeni is good though.