Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

OwlFancier posted:

Nice of him to shave that pattern into his face to identify himself as a wanker at a distance.

idk he seemed attractive enough

i think it's dumb to talk about 'shameful' meals, though, lots of people can only afford fancy foods when they're discounted like this. it's even dumber when he decided to "live like the poors do" by buying only expiring foods and not, y'know, adding some to a box of pasta or rice or canned peas or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

assuming we're talking about the no-fly zone over ukraine zelenskyy asked for, it won't happen because the us is currently against it. russia would have to do something to move directly against the us for nato to enforce it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Toad in the hole.

this is one of my favourite examples of us/uk english divergence; in the us, this is a toad in the hole

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

in fairness thats a poo poo example, i just couldnt be bothered finding a better one. i wouldn't want the bread dipped in egg personally, a good toad in the hole is made by frying the bread in the pan in loads of butter along with the egg, with the middle part fried alongside and getting extra crispy and buttery. one of my favourite things as a kid

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

CGI Stardust posted:

only for one. if you have two, they're "granny's eyes"

oh the better to see you with my dear

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

occasionally theyre also called a bird in the nest which at least makes thematic sense

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i can't even fathom what this is supposed to be

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mediaphage posted:

i can't even fathom what this is supposed to be

wait, your gravy is clear????

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

oh this is probably like a starch thickened bisto isnt it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i got the biscuits but honestly it looks like someone just poured a bunch of maple syrup on it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

That specific one looks like bisto instant yes.

American biscuits and gravy for contrast looks like coleslaw on a scone.

why is your coleslaw chunky???

Guavanaut posted:

Their gravy looks like stew that has been sieved. Except the mushroom gravy, but that is also claimed by Ukraine.

Pelmeni is good though.

this is specifically southern sausage gravy, which is mostly just used on biscuits for breakfast. "gravy" generally speaking, is just normal chicken or beef gravy.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

What the hell is in American gravy anyway? Specifically the stuff they dump on scones.

At least it's not a loving jus, anyone offering me that can do one.

southern style biscuits aren't really scones since they have a higher proportion of butter, are generally fluffier, and don't usually have sugar in them

but specifically the sausage gravy is just: fry up loose sausage in a skillet (most american breakfast sausage is a patty or loose sausage, and not the link style), when the fat is rendered out, toss in a few tablespoons of flour, make the roux in the sausage fat, and then stir in milk to add the liquid instead of using a broth.

most gravy eaten in america isn't sausage gravy, though, it's just drippings, roux, and chicken or beef broth like any other gravy

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

British coleslaw:

What does American coleslaw look like?

okay, pretty much the same, i just expected it to look like sausage gravy after the above post haha

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Which rag was that from?
It's patently bollox. Not sure what more there is to say! Don't 'they' always try to smear strikers?

idk who wrote it up but it seems like thats from some dude on twitter who got piled in the replies with lol no; maybe he wrote it up in that article

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DaWolfey posted:

This isn't true, so sayeth an American who doesn't know any other American who calls it something other than eggs in a basket

:rolleyes:

i've literally never in my life heard this although there are a limited number of google results suggesting some do

it doesn't even make sense since they aren't covered by anything. pigs in a blanket (aka a sausage roll) at least makes sense conceptually

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DaWolfey posted:

Perhaps a regional thing! America is a big place after all.

yes, obv

a lot of foods tend to get called by different names in different regions

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

escapegoat posted:

Egg and strawberries, the classic combo.

lol i thought it was weird too but fruit is nice for breakfast

Guavanaut posted:

I said 'steamed ham'. That's what I call keirstarmers.

keith starmer is just a rearrangement of marketer poo poo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Fair do's, that sounds amazing. Heart attack inducing, but amazing.

yeah it's pretty great. not too much worse than normal gravy, but honestly amazing for breakfast on a cold day. if you ever make it (you can just use ground pork and add sausage spices if getting loose sausage is a pain), add a lot of black pepper.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lmao, naturally. christ this poo poo's depressing

jiggerypokery posted:

https://twitter.com/RPPSanford/status/1498974532396367873

Jermy wino says 18-20 year old russians deserve to die

"that's life"

jesus gently caress off

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

jiggerypokery posted:

Like, he might be a twat but 1, he's not russia, and 2 war crimes is a bit strong

(from the telegraph)

lmao that's great, though

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Sucks. Unfortunately this is just a reminder that basically no part of D&D outside of UKMT is worth engaging with because it's full of prats.

honestly it's true for d&d and cspam both. outside of a handful of threads, one is terminally lib-brained or decorum-poisoned, and the other is completely flat-out insane

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol sort of a pisspoor apology imo. like, i don't think people should necessarily be cancelled over one fuckup (depending on the fuckup) but i think it takes a special kind of superprick to say what he said in the first place. i mean, that's the nature of things? come the gently caress on

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

What would be a satisfactory apology? He accepts responsibility and says he had no excuse.

What more could he offer?

You don't have accept his apology but this false pretence of "oh if he had done the right apology id forgive him" is fake.

gently caress off; don't accuse me of faking poo poo

"false pretence" good grief

Beefeater1980 posted:

Most people don’t apologise at all and double down. So this is probably as good as it’s possible to get; I can’t think of anything better he could have said after his fuckup tbh.

Did anyone get to attend the stop the war thing Corbyn spoke at? I went down a small rabbit hole following links from the Bad War Thread which led to a bunch of “Did You Know Ukrainian Neonazis Started It?” materials that I would like to believe were not genuinely distributed by Stop The War. The ultimate source was apparently the famously accurate Jewish Chronicle so I’m still holding out some hope that it was a legit event and this is some dickhead printing materials on his HP-Smart, rather than believing JC is platforming with a bunch of idiots saying “actually this time, give war a chance”.

mostly i think it would be nice to see some actual understanding from him about why what he said was bad. the caller brought up conscription and he just dismissed it out of hand and imo the statement rings hollow. as i said i'm not suggesting he needs to have the show taken out back and shot or anything, i just think it would be good to see a little more pushback and discussion about empathy. even acknowledging it on-air would be another good step considering the fraction that might see it on twitter versus hear/watch it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I think the point is that if it is a genuine fuckup in an otherwise good career, they own the fuckup and move on, then you should accept the apology.

If it's Jeremy Vine, who is generally a small minded man with nasty opinions, his apology is meaningless because he's going to continue to be a twat.

An apology is only an apology if the person genuinely realises what they did wrong and isn't going to do it again. It's not a set of magic words you screenshot in your notes app that stops people being mean on twitter.

Everyone in the British media is Alan Partridge.

thanks, this is putting it better than i did

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

this reminds me of a college prof being really mad at the protests against the wars, decrying, "why can't it be a protest for peace?!!!?!?!?!??!"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I was going back to my car from a call and it was wandering around the village, so I followed it for a bit because I wasn't sure if someone was walking it, but nobody turned up, seemed a bit skittish, but eventually it led me to a pub and sort of looked at me like "please open the door for me" so I did and apparently the landlady had gone out for a smoke and forgot the dog had gone with her, so she was glad to get him back. Hopefully the lad was just nervous cos he was stuck outside. Mostly I just didn't want him to get hit by a car cos it was near a busy road.

Seems a bit negligent but I dunno, hopefully they will be more careful next time.

thank you for being a dagfriend

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

Since he was mentioned, and he’s not been around for a while so I can feel a bit better about poo poo-talking him, am I the only one who was freaked out by Coohoolin’s almost pitch-perfect Scottish accent when they first heard him on Podcasting is Praxis? He’d only been living there a few years by that point - this suggests he was obsessively working on his accent to get it correct, maybe recording himself and playing it back so he could finesse it. I feel kind of lovely for complaining about an immigrant integrating too well, but it’s just weird, right?

i don't remember that poster (though perhaps that's good given the posts here) but it seems weird to assume someone was obsessively working on an accent (i mean the scenario you're imagining is sorta involved); some people have a knack for mimicry

i guess it's possible, but even if, who cares?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lmao her in that outfit

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I suspect that is a tory vote for "gently caress em who cares" and a labour vote for utterly misguided interventionism, as well as a general resounding victory for brits being loving stupid.

this is exactly how i read it, too; i doubt nuclear exchanges even enter their heads (for better or worse)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Have also pictures of the outside and the sun and the flowers and the water and ducks what I have taken with my phone device while at work.

this is lovely, ty

OwlFancier posted:

Oh actually I don't like tagliatelli because it is always weird when I have it, like I dunno if they use a different pastus to make it but it's got a weird texture, would rather just have spaghet.

i don't really eat pasta these days but i make it a lot. tag is typically an egg noodle pasta; things like spaghetti are just flour

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/David_Moscrop/status/1523308134957481991

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

keith sucks but lol

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1526884794726027265