Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I welcome the refugees but they don't go far enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Corbyn would have given them all food and shelter

DISGUSTING

HE SHOULD RESIGN

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

I really don't know that "I'm going to shoot my anti air missiles like this, and if your planes get hit by them it's your own fault" is going to convince russia tbh.

Pictured: NATO and Russia

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

ThomasPaine posted:

I know Ukraine isn't NATO, my question was if the Russians shot down a NATO plane in Ukrainian airspace after they established a no fly zone, would that would be considered an act of aggression warranting every member to declare war on Russia, or does that require an actual threat to a member state's own territory?

Here's how that would probably play out:

- russia would deny it
- NATO would say "no you definitely shot our plane down and we're not happy. here's all the evidence"
- russia would, eventually, say it happened but it was an accident, the pilot disobeyed orders or a weapons malfunction happened or sommat. typical soviet blame game stuff
- NATO would be all "well! we're going to write a sternly worded letter about it" (maybe sanctions would follow but I don't think NATO provides process for that)
- it would probably be forgotten because neither side wants to risk escalating it into, y'know

e: it's my understanding that if a NATO country is attacked, they can invoke article 5, and it's important to note that article 5 doesn't say "ok everyone declare war on the soviets/russia now", it says

quote:

The Parties agree that an armed attack against one or more of them in Europe or North America shall be considered an attack against them all and consequently they agree that, if such an armed attack occurs, each of them, in exercise of the right of individual or collective self-defence recognised by Article 51 of the Charter of the United Nations, will assist the Party or Parties so attacked by taking forthwith, individually and in concert with the other Parties, such action as it deems necessary, including the use of armed force, to restore and maintain the security of the North Atlantic area.

this "action" could be anything really.

Suffice to say though, if a NATO country were attacked with nuclear weapons by russia, the nuclear powers in NATO would be very much "ohhhh shiiiiiiit" and they might, if they expect further attacks, launch a pre-emptive strike to destroy as much of the russian nuclear arsenal as possible before it can be used. However they might not! Because both sides are perfectly capable of destroying each other, they might, *might* choose to sit and wait (while sweating buckets) just to see if the nuclear attack stops there and then. What kind of world we would live in after such an event though is beyond comprehension

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 1, 2022

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

where does the invasion of ukraine fit in this list though? Like I guess you're suggesting at the top? But I think it changes things a bit

I don't think it would matter where the NATO plane was; I expect it would probably play out like that regardless. If the plane were in a NATO country's airspace then there would definitely be a big problem brewing there, but I'm certain NATO would give some breathing room for russia to notice what they've done and give them chance to say "oh yeah we hosed up sorry sorry" rather than everyone rushing to open their special briefcases

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
^^ yes, and I was responding to that hypothetical (of Russia shooting down a NATO plane over Ukraine)

I'm speculating here (goddamntwisto has surely read more books on nuclear strategy than me) but, while there was a time when one side could potentially 'win' a nuclear war, that time is long over, both NATO and Russia have formidable retaliatory strike capabilities and enough nukes to completely destroy each other. Despite the bluster I would expect both sides to take their time over any given dangerous event and let more informaiton come out. I'd go so far as to say that even if several nuclear detonations happened somewhere, people would hold back and see it was an accident before going full strangelove

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Comrade Fakename posted:

When did NATO get in a shooting war directly with the USSR?

He's talking about risking a shooting match, not engaging in one, i.e. "we have repeatedly risked nuclear annihilation"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Whenever i see his twitter handle i interpret it as "neil as gently caress"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jedit posted:

I'm not sure how completely oblivious you have to be to literally say "We're not NIMBYs, but not in our back yard", but they somehow managed it.

The contrast is even better given they spell out the acronym

"We're not NIMBYs (Not In My Back Yard), but not in our back yard"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Trees grow in the UK, we could just use them for solar power and burn them

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

happyhippy posted:

Just go partial Matrix,

Hydropower but with blood

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Sometimes I feel like this entry in the usernames thread was meant for the UKMT

Winifred Madgers posted:

The Nonce and Future King

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
The councillor's heating bill is lower because she's keeping her family warm with that take

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Imagining a Reality TV show with boomers being allowed to live in prison and see how luxurious it is. Danny Dyer hosts.

I think it was Sweden (?) who recently recruited thousands of volunteers to "test" a new prison. They should do that here so all the boomers can either go see what it's like or shut the gently caress up*

*lol they will never shut up

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Someone was telling me yesterday that a friend of theirs is whatever the chauffeur equivalent of a luxury yacht is (pilot?) and they just paid £500k to refill the tank! (Obviously not their own money but of whichever oligarch - Russian or otherwise - they drive the boat for) and apparently the quotes were going up £30k a day as the prices changed!

good

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I think it's fine to call it Kiev. English has its own names for other peoples' cities, like most languages. Nobody calls Paris ~Pareee~ except French people

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Keith

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Yeah Too Good To Go is excellent. I can also recommend Olio, which I use for free stuff but is also used by people who collect food waste from supermarkets to distribute to people who want it. A lot of supermarkets have signed up to give food waste to Olio volunteers (my wife does it)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
What if we used the £250m to help Ukrainian refugees instead, just spit balling here

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I'm gonna ask here because I'm really struggling to find this via Google and I know we have experts on loving everything here

When a barperson pulls a pint, what causes the liquid to come up from the kegs in the basement? What's the mechanism that makes it come out so steadily?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

They do say that opposites of reality attract

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
So what's their couple name? Julience? Brewx? Twocunts?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Private Speech posted:

My 'definitely not CIA' t-shirt is raising a lot of questions already answered by the shirt

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Hey Iran wanna sell some oil?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Lol it is so transparently opportunistic

I am extremely glad she is likely on her way home soon though

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I've received my final bill from the corpse of Peoples Energy and it's £30. Phew, I was worried I'd get rinsed in an error that would be a nightmare to fix.

Funny thing is I switched away from them 2 days before the market shat itself, a move I call pulling a Jaeluni (the switch, not the shatting)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Did you have to explain the UKMT to the charity commission :stonklol:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Channel 4 news does very good roundups of the war's progress.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Umbra Dubium posted:

Al Gorithm? Is that like Al Qaeda?

Al Gore-ism

It's hippy poo poo! :argh:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Someone just linked me to this and I'm surprised I didn't hear it from this thread first.

It's a daily mail link so I just leave the partial URL here

health/article-10001093/Impotent-mans-partner-accidentally-deploys-insulation-foam-inside-urethra-sex-act.html

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

quote:

The 45-year-old patient had to have a new opening cut between his scrotum and his anus to urinate when the foam hardened and became 'anchored' in his penis.

Just a little excerpt for your Thursday morning

E: the daily mail has a fetish

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 17, 2022

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Cookie Cutter posted:

For discussion's sake, if I WAS to place the majority of the blame at the feet of NATO and the West, what would be the realistic counter arguments to that?

Well I for one would go with something like "the tanks invading Ukraine appear to be Russian so it seems like Russia is mostly responsible"

Apportioning blame is always going to be an exercise in flailing, though. Sure NATO might be partially responsible. But NATO wouldn't exist without the USSR so it's the communists' fault. But communists wouldn't exist without the industrial revolution so it's the capitalists' fault. If only that protein didn't replicate in the primordial ocean we wouldn't be in this mess.

But Putin sent the tanks in so he must be at least partly to fault. Is that part below or above 50%? Anyone arguing below 50% has got their work cut out for them, I reckon.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

domhal posted:

Also, from that message the MP tweeted:

quote:

If you're in a customer facing roll

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
P&O? More like poo

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

She still is.

Lol

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

keep punching joe posted:

I also once had a golden retriever who was lovely and sweet, but also loved eating cow poo poo and also rolling around in cow poo poo.

Are you me

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Jeremy Corbyn? You mean the new Hitler??

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
PM Johnson Dead in Nuclear Attack That Somehow Only Got Him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Christ