Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Oh dear me posted:

Like you're doing?

Oh poo poo, what’s Jada’s username? Is she Jaelani?

(If she was actually in this forum then yes, I’d have been white-knighting her. But she’s not and I’m not).

There are some views in here that I disagree with but I see where they’re coming from. Your comment was just silly. (Unless you were joking in which case the jokes on me for not getting it).

therattle fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

You should always slap ricky gervais.

It is always moral.

At last, something on which we can all agree.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

Give them the extra hour imo

Government wants to create fake rear end hours, people should be paid for them.

Double pay if you have to work over the other one where there's two 1.30ams too because poo poo's confusing

This reminds me of a sequence in Mason & Dixon of the missing twelve days when they adjusted the calendar.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

It's not the worst thing that's happened to someone for making a joke about Iran

You forgot to add the obligatory line about how the west is just as bad (maybe refer to the US execution rate?), in case lurkers weren’t aware that the west does bad things too.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The West has even worse horrors.

Well played. :argh:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Trickjaw posted:

Thread, I need your help. I think I have just watched Johnny Cash singing 'Ghost Riders in the sky' on the Muppet Show. Have I had a stroke? If I'm going to to go, this seems oddly appropriate.

You clearly haven’t googled “Johnny Cash Muppets Show”

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

crispix posted:

Hunchback Shithouse

Brokebrain Fountain (of shite)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Reality also impinges considerably more on the Cash version, particularly with the video - June Carter Cash (who the camera focusses on for the "My sweetest friend" line - was genuinely the love of his life (and forgave his multiple infidelities and relapses). He would have been dead, many times over, without her and she was also responsible for a lot of his musical success. He was singing that line specifically to her, giving it the very different meaning of "Everyone *but you* goes away" IMO. She died not long after the video was released, and Cash followed just 4 months later.

For me the Cash version carries more emotional weight than the NIN version simply because it contains both the NIN version's lament of depression and addiction - something that Cash was struggling with a decade before Reznor was born, and never really stopped struggling with - but also the crushing weight of age and decay. Even the simplicity of the arrangement reflects this - he had had a stroke which had robbed him of some of his ability to sing and play guitar, so the meaning of the song is being communicated in the most direct way to anyone who remembered his more dynamic performances of only a few years previous.

As I say the video does an absolutely astonishing job of magnifying that part of the song's message, even if it is sometimes a little on-the-nose, but then it's not a message that would reward subtlety.

Wholly agree. The video is by Mark Romanek, who knows a thing or two about promos.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Late to Leonard Cohen chat, but Who By Fire is incredible.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

I think the desire for something that is useless to capitalism is why I gravitate towards channels about making stuff too, it's just nice to watch someone perform a craft that I know is of no business utility, they aren't making money off it, they're just making things they like, for them, or for other people, because making things itself is a joy, the act of having that knowledge in your head is a pleasant one, in the same manner that reading a pleasant book is enjoyable and you have that pleasing sloshy sensation in your head where all the new information is.

It is, in a sense, meditative, there is a concept called mushin that describes a state of thought where you kind of depersonalize and are conscious only of thoughts flowing through your head like water, and it sounds a lot like how I would experience creativity. After a lot of practice you don't need to direct your thoughts, or figure out the solutions to problems, the process presents itself, there is some part of your mind that is sorting all that out for you and you just watch it unfold in front of you, you are in motion and your brain is working but it is working almost autonomously, but in a good way, a very pleasant experience I think, like if you could watch yourself clicking away like a clockworks, except you built the clock and also you are the clock.

Dangerously metaphysical but eh, it's one of few experiences I've had where I have had to resort to that to describe it. But yes anyway I think it is very good to find things that are antithetical experiences to what you are encouraged to do by capitalist society, because capitalism is bad for your brain.

I think a shorter way of saying what you’re describing is being in flow. It’s an amazing thing. I can’t say I’ve experienced it often.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Failed Imagineer posted:

This year, I'll be celebrating with a limited edition Korn Toblerone

How utterly bizarre. That must be a joke.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Miftan posted:

We call it a passover avocado where I'm from. A passovacado, if you will.

In South Africa Pesach is avocado season. Avo mashed on matzoh is really good.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Miftan posted:

Nothing can salvage the hot mess that is a matzah except making it into matzah brei or using it as an edible spoon for nutella.

I love it. And it’s a cold mess. A cold, dry mess.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
In London around me (Finsbury Park) some people still wear masks. I’m on holiday in Herefordshire and when I’ve been to the supermarket here it’s about 99% no masks. (And a lot cheaper than London).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Uh oh

I think you're my closest UKMTer

I live on CORBYN STREET. (Really). (I’m not worried about being doxxed, CineD posters can easily figure out who I am).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Barry Foster posted:

I say this a lot

Me too! (And apparently Jim Jarmusch).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Chubby Henparty posted:

I cannot believe they didn't know what they were doing when they were putting together the V2 exhibit at the Royal Engineers museum which basically says '1000s of slaves died by WvB's hand but he birthed modern rocketry so it's impossible to say whether he was good or bad'

https://youtu.be/QEJ9HrZq7Ro

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/PeteApps/status/1513856160595595284?s=20&t=RWD5BoeNm17w_LLwA6vIoQ

This is worth reading.

The Rwanda scheme is horrifying. Patel is literally a sociopath.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jedit posted:

No, she's a full on psychopath. A sociopath won't ever feel regret for what they've done, but they will occasionally feel guilt over any perceived need to have done it or have slight empathy for the people hurt by it. A psychopath will not and is incapable of doing so, because the only important thing is that they got to do what they wanted.

Patel is indisputably in the latter category. You would think that the daughter of an immigrant would empathise with other immigrants if with anyone at all, but she's outright stated that she would have deported her own father if he came to the UK today in the same circumstances.

I thought the two words meant the same thing, but am happy to be corrected. She is literally evil.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Question IRL posted:

If you want to create emotional moments like the beginning of Up, you just have tragic stuff happen*. Seeing kids die is sad, I can attest.
Hire me to speak to your media companies, I will charge less than your Hollywood writers.

*= This reminds me of something I read years ago which was that comedic actors inherently better actors than non-comedic ones.
Since drama based actors success is measured in getting an emotional response from the audience, but often times that is done by using plot elements. If you want to get an audience to cry, you have a dog die or a character get cancer. There are loads of plot based shortcuts you can use for this.

Where as a comedic actors success is measured by their ability to make the audience laugh. And since humour is subjective, you can't take the same level of plot based shortcuts. Having someone fall down a hole isn't a guaranteed laugh scene the way that having someone die is an easier bet for a sad moment.
And that's why comedians should be awarded more often at the Oscars. And not just with slaps.
Thanks for huring me to speak to your game designing company.

I’ve always said that comedic actors can play straight because that’s part of comic acting, whereas straight actors can’t always do comedy because comedy involved a whole extra set of skills which straight actors often don’t have. Ergo comedy actors can often be better, more versatile and have a wider range than straight actors.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Failed Imagineer posted:

Destroy all cars, spend more money on tattoos and of cheese

FTFY

Mebh posted:

That's what my partner and i settled on.

Costco sells Old Amsterdam Gouda! gently caress I missed it. So damned good, and an amazing compliment to cheddar on a cheese board. They also have Curado Manchego!

Mmm. Old Amsterdam. That’s good stuff.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Isn't garlic sauce just mayo made with (some) garlic oil?

Garlic oil? Sounds like a recipe for botulism

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Rather funny

https://twitter.com/soozuk/status/1516773097747193866?s=21&t=aexmsHOsueBpMbR_22dIdg

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah, he thinks this is all over nothing, boys having a joke - though polls show 60-70% of people think he should be gone already.
He's stocked parliment with his own lackeys, so he's happy to just get them to vote to keep kicking the can down the road and hope people forget.

Then there will be another fine, another picture, another report, because the man is a walking scandle.

I know the alternative isn’t much better but I’m happy for him to stay. I think the longer he stays in the more damaging it is to the Tories.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It's not great for us either though.

In the short term,definitely, maybe less so in medium/long term. I think he is doing irreparable damage to the Tories and the longer he does so, the better

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jedit posted:

That's like being glad Hitler hung around doing all that damage to the Nazi movement, complete with the ideological mass murder.

I'm not sure that's a particularly apt analogy. Nazism was inextricably bound up with Hitler in a way that Conservatism isn't bound up with Johnson.

Lord of the Llamas posted:

The electorate have memories like fish.

True. Although there is REAL rage about some of this stuff that I don't think will fade easily for many.

I have been meaning to write about transport after the thrilling discussions here about car ownership. When I started taking my son to school I bought a bike and a trailer. (It's only about a 1.3 mile ride but that would take two buses, or if driving, a lot of traffic. Biking works fantastically for it. It's too far for him to walk at any pace and he can't cycle). The trailer worked absolutely brilliantly (the idea is great and it was a really terrific trailer) and I was sad when he outgrew it. It not only held him comfortably and safely but it also had a surprisingly capacious cargo area. I then moved onto a classic Dutch box bike (bakfiets), which also worked well. It wasn't as much fun to ride as it was heavy, and hills were hard (especially as my son grew) but it was a good tool for a limited use (school run and very local errands). Being able to just chuck boxes and groceries etc into the box was very handy. He eventually outgrew the straps on that and he was getting too heavy. I recently got an ebike cargo-bike - a mid-tail, so he has a seat pad and frame and sits behind me. My wife is also happy using it in a way she wasn't with the trailer or bakfiets. I have a rack and crate on the front for his stuff, groceries, etc. Ebikes are loving amazing. A cargo ebike is better yet. The company that makes the bike has tried to make a car replacement, and for many uses they have succeeded. With lower cost and better power of ebikes, a e-cargo-bike has become a really useful, versatile thing. The biggest downside is price. However, unless you are regularly carrying people a trailer would work very well. I don't understand why they aren't more widely used. You can get a cheap trailer and attach it to your bike whenever you need it, and especially if you have an ebike (which can be got for a reasonable sum), you can transport a lot of stuff quite a distance. You only need to be reasonably able-bodied (which I appreciate not everyone is but a lot of people are), not super fit.

I really highly recommend ebikes, and an ebike plus cheap trailer is extremely useful and versatile. It can replace a car for a really high number of local journeys, comfortably up to about 5 miles if not more.

Thank you for attending my TED Talk.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jedit posted:

To the Tories, anyway.

I'd also dispute that conservatism isn't as linked to Johnson as Nazism was to Hitler. Johnson didn't build the Conservative movement, but he is the pure distillation of it: a man who, with no consideration for personal merit, is allowed to rule over the plebs and live his life free from all consequence of his errors.

Hitler founded and built the Nazi party, and it was in part a cult of personality. Johnson embodies aspects of conservatism which existed before him and will exist after him. A Nazi party ruling Germany without Hitler is hard to imagine. A Tory party without Johnson unfortunately isn't (despite his purges) .

I also think that for some parts of the electorate this stuff will stick, regardless of the media or short memories.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Some of the mothers of young kids I've seen round here have a sort of cart either in front or behind the bike depending whether you think it would be better for the kids to be in front of you or behind you in road safety terms?

My bakfiets was like that. Different model but same basic principle. An electric version would be an excellent tool.

Borrovan posted:

Someone who uses the same nursery as me always picks his son up on a bike with one of those seats mounted on the back, & jfc that would terrify me, I'd be stopping every 10 seconds to tighten up all the bolts

i really don't like those. My son is too big anyway but the centre of gravity is very different, especially on a normal bike. I'd feel very insecure. My bike has small wheels to lower the centre of gravity. It's a Tern HSD S8i, and I LOVE it. Pricey but you get what you pay for.

Lady Gaza posted:

I was looking into getting a bike to take my children to nursery, and an ebike piqued my interest. It’s only a couple of miles away but a few hills would be a challenge dragging giant kids. Was at a bit of a loss where to start looking though. Any recommendations?

Only issue around my area (Tonbridge) is that there is a lot of traffic, makes me nervous using a trailer.

i actually think that a trailer is safest. (My wife didn't like being able to see it though). I had a Burley trailer (which was also quite expensive but SO, SO good - it's seriously one of the best tings I have ever bought - good idea, excellent, thoughtful design, and then very well made) and it basically has an aluminium roll cage. I had a bad fall once on my way to school pick-up, so the trailer was empty, and although the bike fell over and sprawled across the tarmac the trailer remained upright. Whereas if you fall over with a cargo bike, the child falls with you. Burley does trailers for two kids, and you can fit a hitch to pretty much any bike. Trailers also provide the kids with the best weather protection as they are completely weatherproof. Stick them in with a blanket and hot water bottle in winter and they'll be fine. I can't recommend a standard ebike to pull it but there must be a lot of options.

I also found that drivers were generally very respectful when they saw the trailer (and still are when the see I have a kid). I have had far more near-accidents from pedestrians not looking where they are going than from bad drivers.

I have a Tern HSD; the big brother (and it is a big, heavy, powerful beast) is the GSD. It'll take two kids (or even a kid and adult) either sitting on a pad or in child seats (like the Yepp). The alternative is something like the Bakfiets, but the ebike version. Th best advice is try before you buy. I hired my Tern for a week from a charity called Carry me, where if you buy the bike you get 80% of the rental price deducted.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Z the IVth posted:

It's not too bad to be honest but it does mess with the balancing on the bike.

Also it's a real pain when you have to go up a hill and you're pulling a 10kg+ meatball in addition to your own goony flab.

Try going up a hill when you have a big, heavy bike (easily 30kg) and a 25kg child. That's why I eventually sold it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Borrovan posted:

There's a visible minority of cyclists who just act like cocks all the time because of the visible minority of motorists who go out of their way to scare them

Just the same 5% of road users endlessly confirmation biasing each other back & forth into apoplectic rage

I have seen some shocking cycling too.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jakabite posted:

I mean this is also ridiculous. I’ve had covid twice, I’m a fit healthy young person, I only wear my mask on public transport for others. I have zero fear of covid and there’s literally no reason I should have any, on a personal level.

Even young healthy people can get infected and have long Covid.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

kingturnip posted:

I was talking to someone in the week who's got Long Covid. She's late-20s at most, and has insomnia. Spent 3 weeks off work after having Covid because of the fatigue; is now back at work and really struggling.

It sucks, and it's basically a dice-roll as to whether you get that or the chill "gently caress yeah, i'm young fit and healthy so i can't catch covid" brainworms instead.

I think Jakabite just demonstrated the effect Covid can have on cognitive processing.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Borrovan posted:

It's possible to still recognise that Covid is still a serious thing whilst not being scared of it on a personal level.

I'm not scared of Covid in the same way I'm not scared of car accidents. I know I'm probably going to be involved in a car accident at some point, and that they are potentially fatal, & I take reasonable precautions to avoid them, but we're not gonna have a car free society any time soon & I'm unlikely to get killed or seriously injured from one so I don't let it bother me.

The Government's attitude wrt Covid loving sucks balls, but considering I teach for a living & have a child in nursery the healthiest thing seems to be to just wear a mask where appropriate & take a LFT before visiting anyone who's clinically vulnerable, rather than drive myself mad. I'd also like to do poo poo like see live music & go to the theatre literally ever again, & it looks like the only way that's gonna happen is if I just mentally accept the risk, it's not as if there's not already a big risk attached to most fun stuff

Your point about car accidents touches on something I was going to say. Riding in a car has risks. We accept those risks because it’s worth it. But we also wear seat belts and try to mitigate those risks. To me that’s kind of what mask wearing is although masks benefit others more than seat belts do. There is a middle ground between staying indoors and isolating entirely and going around licking door knobs.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mega Comrade posted:

He was really good in Tyrannosaur.
I remember getting it and wondering if Olivia Coleman would even be any good in it, that she's probably been miss-cast, she's just a comedy actor after all?

Comedy actors can play straight drama better than most straight drama actors can do comedy. Comedic acting encompasses straight acting but the reverse isn’t true.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I’m relieved that Macron won but the fact that a fascist might have actually won and made it this far is cause for concern, not celebration.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

forkboy84 posted:

Hooray, the liberal whose response is "I need to steal policies from the fash" won, what a relief

So you’d rather Le Pen won? What a bizarre attack.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Rumda posted:

I'd rather they both died

Jesus. Can’t one even say that it’s good that an actual fascist lost an election without being sniped at? Yes yes, this thread hates centrists and liberals, I get it, you don’t need to advertise your ideological superiority, but no, they aren’t actually as bad as actual outright fascists.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

TACD posted:

”It could be even worse” is not the same as “good”. It’s really not surprising that nobody’s celebrating things continuing to decline at the same rate as before.

forkboy84 posted:

I'd not go that far but I don't think it makes much difference really. It comes back to just delaying or slowing down the descent to the bottom. In the 5 years since the last Presidential election Le Pen has gone from 33.90% to 41.45%. 5 more years of Macron wearing fash clothing on immigration etc while also being a neoliberal economically means bad things Next time round. And it's not just share, in raw votes she's gone from 10.6 million to 13.3 million. She won in almost all the overseas departments, exceptions being the 3 in the Pacific.

IDK, sure doesn't seem like great news to me that French workers are going to see their rights attacked by a Louis Napoleon Mk.II but you do you.
What an rear end in a top hat.

Rumda posted:

Like people behave said the only good thing about Macron is he attempts to how fash his actions are which means occasionally stuff doesn't happen, but him winning is far far from a good thing

In response to all three:

I never said his winning was a good thing. I said I was relieved he won so that an actual fascist didn’t. That is not an endorsement. I didn’t think that would be so contentious. It feels like some people in the us thread interpret posts in the worst possible way (or even outright read them wrongly) just so they can attack them and/or somehow make themselves look worthier, and it’s exhausting.

therattle fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Apr 25, 2022

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Noxville posted:

I mean, ditto if this is how you’re reacting to people pointing out there’s nothing to be relieved about when Macron is the kind of petit-fascist who has been enabling the fascist rise and electing him is just kicking the cam down the road.

1) I don't agree with that argument but I do understand it. To me there is a meaningful difference between a centrist like Macron and an outright fascist. Claiming that they are basically the same strikes me as lacking in nuance. It's simplistic.
2) Consequently, I was relieved that the outright fascist didn't win.
3) Relieved is not the same as happy. I was reacting to people saying I was happy that Macron won. I was relieved he won because it meant a fascist lost.

For the avoidance of doubt, I am not glad that Macron is the president of France. I would not vote for him. I understand that the absence of meaningful change under him has led to a disenchantment with mainstream politics which has opened a door for a fascist populist like Le Pen. I recognise that he represents the status quo. I still think that's better than a fascist like Le Pen.

TACD posted:

I somehow don’t believe you’re posting in good faith here

Yeah, likewise, chum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Morningwoodpecker posted:

Cockup before conspiracy probably. A family rang into LBC and said they were in exactly that position until they got through to a human who fixed it for them.

How sweetly naive.